Italian man killed in a head on collision in Samui

webfact

Italian man killed in a head on collision in Samui

fatal-accident-Namuang.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Yesterday, September 9th, a 23 year old Italian man was killed after his bike was involved in a head on collision with a truck. The incident took place close to Namuang waterfalls on Samui’s ring road.

When police and rescue workers arrived at the scene they found the body of the deceased and his Yamaha bike around 40 meters away from the Toyota he had collided with, suggesting a high speed impact.

The driver of the truck had left the scene. Police have asked for any eye witnesses to the crash to come forward.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-09-10

Not cowardice, the driver probably had no idea who he hit. Who was at fault, we don't know.

Many times at the scene of an accident it is very dangerous for the driver who survived to stay.

He left his vehicle, which is 99.99% registered to his name and the officers will see him at his house.

This is true for all nations, the safety of the surviving driver.

Not cowardice, the driver probably had no idea who he hit. Who was at fault, we don't know.

Many times at the scene of an accident it is very dangerous for the driver who survived to stay.

He left his vehicle, which is 99.99% registered to his name and the officers will see him at his house.

It's not true for all nations.

Some countries have laws they enforce, and a person hurting a person who caused an accident, no matter how bad, would be subject to persecution.

It's 'dangerous' here because the popo doesn't do their job, the people take vigilante justice, and it's convenient to leave, in case you had something to hide. That's what's true here.

Registered to his name ? This is Thailand.

He just did a runner because he unlawfully killed a Tourist.

True of All Nations....You are so wrong.

What a load of crap you have written , it is an offence to leave the scene of an accident no matter where in the world you live and looking at the position of the vehicle it is clear to see it is on the wrong side of the road, by the way it was reported that the deceased and bike were some 40 meters from the stationary vehicle which shows the force the deceased must have been hit by. I have lived on Samui for many years this sort of incident is getting more common it is no longer a safe place on Samui roads but no one seems to do anything about it R.I.P to the deceased and condolences to his family I hope they find the person who was driving the vehicle to leave the accident in my view is an act of cowardice

What a load of crap you have written , it is an offence to leave the scene of an accident no matter where in the world you live and looking at the position of the vehicle it is clear to see it is on the wrong side of the road, by the way it was reported that the deceased and bike were some 40 meters from the stationary vehicle which shows the force the deceased must have been hit by. I have lived on Samui for many years this sort of incident is getting more common it is no longer a safe place on Samui roads but no one seems to do anything about it R.I.P to the deceased and condolences to his family I hope they find the person who was driving the vehicle to leave the accident in my view is an act of cowardice

With the greatest of respect, in some countries it is normal to leave the scene of an accident as soon as possible and no one would take legal action against you if you did. In all countries where I have lived, it is perfectly legal and advisable to leave the scene of an accident when you need urgent medical attention. Another is if you have reason to be concerned for your personal safety. In one African country I know, you should leave the scene of an accident even if you were only the passenger in a vehicle for your personal safety. In some countries, you are advised as a foreigner not to stop at the scene of an accident as it will be assumed that you were in some way involved.

We know nothing about the circumstances of this accident other than it involved a truck and a motorbike driven by the now dead Italian.

In virtually ALL countries it is a serious offence to leave the scene of an accident.

Completely ridiculous babble. In most civilized nations if you don't stay at the scene, many years are added to your prison sentence. Not sure where you come from, but hit and run is a very serious offense in the US. Not here. No big deal at all here. Do as you please is the general rule here in the land of no law enforcement.

On another note, this is a once or twice a day occurrence in Samui. Up to 60 deaths per month on the roads. A good friend was hit by a drunk foreigner on a bike last night and is in a coma. Not even in the news. It rarely is. Highest incidence of road deaths per capita in thailand, and perhaps the entire world. Drive on Samui with a tremendous degree of caution. The authorities are completely absent on the job.

What rubbish. It certainly is NOT true for most nations. You stay and deal with the police unless you are: 1) Drunk; 2) On drugs; 3) Have no license; 4) Are in a stolen vehicle or 5) And combination of the following 4 items. YOU DO NOT LEAVE THE SCENE OF A FATAL ACCIDENT. Just where are you from, I wonder.

With the greatest of respect, in some countries it is normal to leave the scene of an accident as soon as possible and no one would take legal action against you if you did. In all countries where I have lived, it is perfectly legal and advisable to leave the scene of an accident when you need urgent medical attention. Another is if you have reason to be concerned for your personal safety. In one African country I know, you should leave the scene of an accident even if you were only the passenger in a vehicle for your personal safety. In some countries, you are advised as a foreigner not to stop at the scene of an accident as it will be assumed that you were in some way involved.

We know nothing about the circumstances of this accident other than it involved a truck and a motorbike driven by the now dead Italian.

You should have quit when you were behind. This is nothing to do with respect but your intelligence or lack of.... If you have nothing intelligent to say best to say nothing!

It is a total absence of dignity, in my opinion worst than cowardicecoffee1.gif

How very sad. RIP. I see cars and trucks racing and screaming down the streets always, overtaking on the wrong side of the road and even around bends just to get to their destination a few seconds faster.

Every time I go out on my bike, I can guarantee that I will need to take evasive action at some point, be it a crazy driver, someone opening their car door or exiting a road/driveway without looking, a rabid attacking dog, a snake, power lines falling down, holes in the road.... etc

The roads department's solution? Paint some lines, or install a water fountain in the middle of a circle.

Another death on a motorcycle on Samui, surprised it still makes the news.

It takes 2 to tangle. Don't know if the car driver did a surprise manoeuvre which entered the path of the rider, but I will assume that the rider was typical of the usual hire bike riders on the island - no helmet or protective kit and going faster than his limited experience should allow. I hope he was not one of the genuine ex-pat bikers on the island, they tend to have learned from experience and do ride a bit slower and wear kit. But from the damage to the vehicle I say he hit it at speed.

...obviously the truck is on the wrong side of the road....let's see what b.s. excuse the driver comes up with this time...

It does not matter what his excuse is. Chances are the way police will not arrest him. And if they do, the weak judges will let him walk. Or give him a two year suspended sentence, due to the fact that he has never killed anyone before.

Law enforcement and the judiciary are both in dire need to reform. Complete dismantling, and rebuilding from the ground up. Will it happen in our lifetime? The answer depends on your degree of optimism, one would guess.

It's not true for all nations.

Some countries have laws they enforce, and a person hurting a person who caused an accident, no matter how bad, would be subject to persecution.

It's 'dangerous' here because the popo doesn't do their job, the people take vigilante justice, and it's convenient to leave, in case you had something to hide. That's what's true here.

You mean subject to "prosecution." Big difference.

When you drive a motorcycle in Thailand, daily as I do, it is not a question of if, but when, your going to die.

But that is the same for everyone.

I have ridden a motorcycle professionally for over thirty years as a motorcycle instructor and Dispatch rider. The closest I have come to killing myself was while driving a 7.5t Lorry!

Riding a motorcycle in inherently dangerous, however with the right kit, skill training, experience and attitude we can lesson the odds substantially.

In virtually ALL countries it is a serious offence to leave the scene of an accident.

Not in Thailand.. Although I believe you are supposed to report to the nearest police station.

Are your comments for real ?

Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in itself.

True for most nations ? Really !!

So is that the best way to sober up ? Flee the scene ?

It is an offence in most countries to leave the scene of an accident. In Australia it is also an offence for witnesses to leave the scene before police arrive. They can also be charged for neglect if they don't offer assistance to the injured. Just here in this male dominated, gutless society does this happen on a daily basis. Man up Thailand & stop hiding behind mommas skirt.

Unless it was a stolen vehicle the driver would of run away to get his story right and possibly get any drug in his blood stream out of the way.

Dont be surprised if he surrenders to the police in a few days. The court will go lenient on him for surrendering himself to the authorities. Even Thai boat captains do it. Swim away from the sinking boat and roll up at the police station 72 hours later.Thats Thai law. Small fine and go home.

Farangs cant do that.

whistling.gif

When you drive a motorcycle in Thailand, daily as I do, it is not a question of if, but when, your going to die.

That's a fatalistic belief that does not need to exist. You attract the energy you choose to attract.

Archived