Bomb suspect bribed his way into Thailand: police

Lite Beer

Hope Somyot cleans up the police force while he's having a go at immigration police. Things are going to get tougher for illegals and those on wrong visas, at least in the short term.

I say in the short term, as corruption is a way of live here and the economy would probably grind to a halt here without it laugh.png

I guess like everybody, it was the quest for a safer and more secure living environment that was inviting, more than the open invitation?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a border hop yesterday

Used a taxi

Wife sat in the car

She never offically left Thailand or entered Lao

Coming back into thailand car drove thru checkpiont and I had to walk back to get my passport checked

While in line I saw Lao people paying to get their passport stamped ( maybe they have to )

The main security checks seemed to be on the highway

3 checkpionts on the way to Udon

Mainly pulling over Lao plated cars

it was reported that he didn't even have a passport

The immigration officers that allowed these people into Thailand should also be charged with aiding and abetting a terrorist act and should stand trial along side the perpetrators.

After all, the result of their action contributed directly to the loss of life and crippling injuries of many - so they should be held accountable and made an example. This is the only way - they should lose their freedom for many years.

Ok so now this has been said what is going to be done about it? Move the people to a none active position? Not acceptable. These people who took the bribe assisted in the murder of innocent people and should be charged as such. No lenency should be given.

Hope Somyot cleans up the police force while he's having a go at immigration police. Things are going to get tougher for illegals and those on wrong visas, at least in the short term.

I say in the short term, as corruption is a way of live here and the economy would probably grind to a halt here without it laugh.png

He's not even Barking up the right tree

He said the immigration general may be fired....

That will probably be the last we hear of this

Best way would actually be to cut out All the dead wood but like usually, a few from the bottom will be enough sad.png

We should all stand together and boycott Thailand until their immigration standards are in order. This is completely unacceptable behavior that can't be tolerated anymore.

The victims relatives. Should sue the immigration police!

So they might get 3000 baht in compensation. Seriously clockman, everyone knows what they are getting into when they come to Thailand. Life has no value here.

The last paragraph says it all really. The "Prime Minister" can do whatever he likes under the charter without any legal consequences. With authority like that, only the stupid question why there is chaos in this country.

Best way would actually be to cut out All the dead wood but like usually, a few from the bottom will be enough sad.png

We should all stand together and boycott Thailand until their immigration standards are in order. This is completely unacceptable behavior that can't be tolerated anymore.

The law abiding foreigners already face the 3rd degree from immigration. Yet international criminals just pay a fee and then immigration roll out the red carpet.

What more can be done except fire every single official in that department?

My local border hop involves a short minibus ride across 'no mans land' between check points. Before crossing the border the minibus stopped and a young girl, I guess 10-12 years old got into the bus. The driver was paid 500 bht by the guy who handed the girl over. The girl was told to lie down on the floor in the back of the bus. Just before we got to Thai Immigration the bus stopped, the girl got out and was picked up by a guy on a motorbike who took a track that bypassed the checkpoint. All this was witnessed by Immigration Officers and soldiers who patrol the border. I was horrified at what was going on and the blind eyes being turned.

I passed on what I saw to a Policeman I know and trust.

And soon Thaivisa member with a nickname edwinchester will be found guilty or dead revealing information which harms Thai security. Everyone should just stay at the pool and drink their Singha's and smile especially when there is no freedom of speech in the country at the moment. General said already that no one should open their mouth about things which can harm the country.

If this government was really serious about ending corruption within immigration, it would be very easy to do. Simply arrest each and every agent who takes a bribe which ends up letting a criminal into the country and put them in front of a firing squad for compromising national security. If the criminal ends up being part of a terrorist cell, aiding a terrorist could be added to the charge sheet. coffee1.gif

Low pay entices corruption, and those border jobs are not in air con offices (where rumor states the central officers musty "buy" their jobs at 80-200K baht).

It's like skinning a pig and wanting it alive at the same time.

Can't be done, not without a real mess on your hands.

Is there not a money trail? Many years ago I was security vetted for a military position and the security officer interviewed me while I was home on leave as well as approaching several of my friends. Had he observed a Porsche parked outside, a house full of the latest gadgets and a life style that did not correspond with my lowly rank I think he might have pursued further inquiries. It appears here the the phrase unusually wealthy is not that unusual.

Forward he cried from the rear

Archived