Best moment at a Football match

nikmar

Following on from " your first memory at a football match " thread Id like to know some memories from any particular game you attended and why it meant so much.

Mine would have to be Duncan Ferguson's first goal for Everton while still on loan from Rangers. Joe Royle's first game in charge at Goodison we simply had to win after a disasterous period under Mike Walker. Also we were playing liverpool and I was expecting to see us get hammered.

However we played a decent game and won 2-0. Big Dunc scored our first and it was a magical moment. a towering header from a Hinchcliffe corner and everything erupted. I was right behind the goal and it was pandemonium. Paul Rideout made it secure late on and I was a very happy but hoarse man going home. ( My then fiance greeted me at home in nothing but a blue and white shirt. )

Anyone who supports a team has at least a hand full of , shall we say , magic moments. I could count a few (winning the league title the 4-4 derby game etc) but for sheer passion, this moment has never been beaten.

Id be interested in anyone elses.

Cheers

i was there,the bigest upset in FA cup history. there is a few gordies who might remember and more than a few will want to forget.

3rd.replay between southern league hereford town and the mighty newcastle.

the score 2-1 with ricky george scoring the winner 1972.

AWAY THE LADScheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Couple of Davie Fairclough moments still rank.

St Etienne was one, when I wore a sheepskin coat in possibly the hottest Kop ever. When I got out it had doubled in length!! and was never worn againsad.png

Oh and this one against the trickiesthumbsup.gif (Yep, I had Rag Trade to win as well!biggrin.png

http://sabotagetimes.com/football/the-greatest-goal-i-ever-saw-liverpools-david-fairclough-v-everton-1976

Standing at the front of the North Bank alongside my tiny-totts supporting housemate, when Charlie Nicholas scored the winning goal and jumped into the crowd just feet from us.

As much as he was a rugby player and a big unit, I had to caution him that punching Charlie Nicholas in the North Bank may have earned him tiny totts' fan awards for heroism, but that they would have been awarded posthumously....

Standing at the front of the North Bank alongside my tiny-totts supporting housemate, when Charlie Nicholas scored the winning goal and jumped into the crowd just feet from us.

As much as he was a rugby player and a big unit, I had to caution him that punching Charlie Nicholas in the North Bank may have earned him tiny totts' fan awards for heroism, but that they would have been awarded posthumously....

I should have added that it was a North London Derby as well.

Which made it even funnier.

Bolton beating the holders; Arsenal; in an FA Cup replay at Highbury, 3-1 after extra time in 1993. It should have been 4-1, but the gormless ref made us re-take a free kick (scored) so he could send off Martin Keown. We had a dodgy reserve keeper that night; Aiden Davison; but fortunately Arsenal had Kevin Campbell playing for the injured Ian Wright. The clock end rocked with 4,500 Whites that night.

Bolton beating the holders; Arsenal; in an FA Cup replay at Highbury, 3-1 after extra time in 1993. It should have been 4-1, but the gormless ref made us re-take a free kick (scored) so he could send off Martin Keown. We had a dodgy reserve keeper that night; Aiden Davison; but fortunately Arsenal had Kevin Campbell playing for the injured Ian Wright. The clock end rocked with 4,500 Whites that night.

I remember that. My old man hates Arsenal and he was made up .

My best moment was at my first game. Washington Redskins vs. Cleveland Browns, fall of 1956; Redskins won. Up in the nosebleed seats, some teenage punks were drinking beer and pissing on the seats. An old man told them to stop, they smacked him. My step-father went up and knocked two of them out and had the other in a headlock. He held all three of them until the police arrived to take them to jail. That's how hooligans at football games should be treated.

My best moment was at my first game. Washington Redskins vs. Cleveland Browns, fall of 1956; Redskins won. Up in the nosebleed seats, some teenage punks were drinking beer and pissing on the seats. An old man told them to stop, they smacked him. My step-father went up and knocked two of them out and had the other in a headlock. He held all three of them until the police arrived to take them to jail. That's how hooligans at football games should be treated.

Although this is the 'Football' thread, not the American 'Handball' thread, that is a respectable story and, I'd have been right beside your old man.

redrus

For me, Rotterdam 1991, without a doubt.

The whole trip, from start to end....

We got refused at Dover, ended up at a few ports eventually getting over at Harwich. First in the car park, 6 of us got a footy and started a game. within half an hour there must have been 2/3 thousand people playing with one ball.

"Eventually, eventually, we're the famous man United and we'll get to Rotterdam, eventually, eventually..........

The game, everyone knows about... no roof on the stadium, peeing down with rain all day. stood on the seats singing "always look on the bright side" and "oh sit down"

"Hughsie Hughsie Hughsie"

That second goal was the nuts, everyone in the known world thought he'd gone far too wide.

Ended up at the hotel, worse for ware as a 15 year old lad, load of us playing skittles, the Dutch way. One lad all big n cocky goes up for a throw and, destroys every seat and table on the left side. I'm laughing so hard with one o these small bowling balls in me hand but, I can see me hand turning over cos I'm laughing so bloody hard, well I dropped it on the side of a marble shelf..... Looked like one o those mouse doors from the cartoons after........

Thought we'd got away with it till the coach was just pulling away and every member of staff came running out in front of the coach, we had to ave a whip round....

Theres an AWFUL lot more I've had to leave out but, you get the picture. ;)

redrus

I wasn't actually at the match but the '95 cup final was memorable as I watched it in the Pretty Lady in Nana and they had a quality lesbian show at half time.

I still think it would have been amusing to swap them and the Royal Dragoons marching band.

And Everton beat the Moaners too.

Supporting Luton Town is like being on a roller coaster but it does give many memorable moments.

Most Town fans would say the League cup final win against Arsenal in 1987 was the best but for me it was my last ever game a week before i left the UK to come here.

Back in 2009 we had already been relegated to the conference after a points penalty but managed to reach the final of the JPT Trophy against Scunthorpe who were playing in a division above us.

Was a great game full of drama and there were about 30, 000 Luton fans there ( approx :) ).

We won 3-2 and it was a great day . Will never forget the atmosphere in the boozer before the game.

Although this is the 'Football' thread, not the American 'Handball' thread, that is a respectable story and, I'd have been right beside your old man.

redrus

Your game is called soccer. It is a Brit term for Association Football. I don't see how you can call it football when you can touch it with more parts of the body than American Football--we only use hands and feet; you use hands, head, body and feet. At best, your game may be called Sometimes With The Foot Ball.

redrus

Your game is called soccer. It is a Brit term for Association Football. I don't see how you can call it football when you can touch it with more parts of the body than American Football--we only use hands and feet; you use hands, head, body and feet. At best, your game may be called Sometimes With The Foot Ball.

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Hilarious!!! Your 1st 5 words are 100% wrong? You over the pond change original names of things or spell things differently to make them look American in origin. Our game is called Association Football (correct, well done) which WE shortened to football. You call it soccer cos you like to think you own everything!! You guys saai.gif

Without looking on goog!e, do you even know where the term soccer originates?

redrus

Hilarious!!! Your 1st 5 words are 100% wrong? You over the pond change original names of things or spell things differently to make them look American in origin. Our game is called Association Football (correct, well done) which WE shortened to football. You call it soccer cos you like to think you own everything!! You guys saai.gif

Well, Walter, since it appears you didn't read what I said, namely that "It is a Brit term for Association Football." Why don't you Google it? Let me help you, try http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

redrus

Why I'd wager he doesn't even know that American "football" is actually what we call Rugby For Girls.

biggrin.png

Archived