Best moment at a Football match

nikmar

Chicog said, “Why I'd wager he doesn't even know that American "football" is actually what we call Rugby For Girls.”

I’d guess you Brits never tire of being wrong. The football Americans play is a much more dangerous sport than the girly sport you play called rugby.

Again, I suggest you google it. Here is an article by your own Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/shortcuts/2013/jan/28/american-football-rugby-more-dangerous

Chicog said, “Why I'd wager he doesn't even know that American "football" is actually what we call Rugby For Girls.”

I’d guess you Brits never tire of being wrong. The football Americans play is a much more dangerous sport than the girly sport you play called rugby.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/shortcuts/2013/jan/28/american-football-rugby-more-dangerous

Find somewhere else to discuss these finer points of how to use an oval ball.

This forum concerns only a round ball.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Correct.

Rugby players don't wear that gay padding and helmets man.

Those NFL muppets still get hurt because they are all big girls.

Cheers.

Correct.

I would suggest you follow the thread. I simply relayed my best moment in football--it was American football, but the OP did not say round ball only. Then, I started receiving anti-American jibes. I am simply responding to them.

Cheers.

Correct.

I would suggest you follow the thread. I simply relayed my best moment in football--it was American football, but the OP did not say round ball only. Then, I started receiving anti-American jibes. I am simply responding to them.

Not a problem...I'm guessing some are reading from recent posts rather than the football forum is why this is happening.

Anyway I enjoy all the posts...all football just different type...

Cheers.

Correct.

At least our balls stay inflated coffee1.gif

Cheers.

Correct.

Not a problem...I'm guessing some are reading from recent posts rather than the football forum is why this is happening.

Agreed. Even if your game requires odd shaped balls, its about the passion.

But if we could cut out the bickering then that would be great. Cheers.

Cheers.

Correct.

Agreed. Even if your game requires odd shaped balls, its about the passion.

But if we could cut out the bickering then that would be great. Cheers.

I thought part of the reason behind these forums was to express different points of view. Quite frankly, as you may have noticed, I don't mind the debates. However, I will honor your request to abstain as a white flag.

Maybe smokie should have reiterated that its a thread about the "world" game of football. Not rugby (egg chasing) or NFL, which is basically egg chasing for muscled up softies that can't take a hit.

Next........biggrin.png

i've never understood rugby, the game just seems fundamentally flawed - you have to run forwards, your goal is ahead of you but you pass the ball backwards? whose idea was that? not to mention all the public school scrum-cuddling and butt-patting.

less said about gridiron the better. ludicrous pads and crash helmets notwithstanding, no thing that has totally different teams on the pitch for attacking and defending can be called a sport.

Yes agreed; and the fans applaud when a player deliberately kicks the ball out of play. If someone wants to thrust his hand up between my legs I'd like to think he'd offer to buy me a drink first, at the very least. The World Cup starts this week. If they were playing in my back garden I wouldn't open the curtains to watch.

Yes agreed; and the fans applaud when a player deliberately kicks the ball out of play. If someone wants to thrust his hand up between my legs I'd like to think he'd offer to buy me a drink first, at the very least. The World Cup starts this week. If they were playing in my back garden I wouldn't open the curtains to watch.

I like International Rugby, World Cup, Six Nations etc but can't stand club level. Same with Cricket.

I like International Rugby, World Cup, Six Nations etc but can't stand club level. Same with Cricket.

as a northerner i assume you prefer the league code over the union version boj?

as a northerner i assume you prefer the league code over the union version boj?

At club level League is better IMO but I like Union at International level stevie.

Best moment was when Oliver Reed came out at the local football ground ( Dorking Surrey ) as part of Reed's raiders. a charity match in 1977 , he was holding a pint of beer.

Any mention of the maniac for all seasons always brings a smile to my face.biggrin.png

Champions League Final to win the treble 1999 those last few minutes stood in the middle of the Bayern end is what football dreams are all about,nothing will ever compare to that night and that feeling of being there.

Close second at Old Trafford when we beat Barca 3-0 in the second leg to win the tie 3-2 on aggregate the greatest ever night at Old Trafford.

third Wembley Norman Whitsides winner magic luckily i was at all three smile.png

Unfortunately, I don't have Champions League final memory to tell........yet. tongue.png

So mine has got to be the Second Division play off final against Gillingham in 1999. It had stayed 0-0 for over 80 minutes and then Gillingham scored twice in the final ten minutes. All I could think of was the miserable drive back up north we were going to have when bang, dead on 90 minutes Kevin Horlock got one back. Too little too late but as football fans we all live in hope till the final whistle. The ref signalled 5 minute extra time, hopes were fading, nerves were shattered and then on 94 minutes Paul Dickov got an equaliser to take it to extra time. Interestingly, Dickov put it past Bartram, Gillinham's keeper who was also Dickov's best man at his wedding.

At this point, all them morons who had left early, started streaming back in. I bladdy hate that. No further goals in extra time, so it went to a penalty shoot out. Nicky Weaver saved 2 pens, Dickov missed his but we won 3-1 in the penalties and that drive home was a much happier one than the one we anticipated it being a bit earlier.

It was a typical roller coaster of emotions that is being a City fan.

i knew a lad who left that early boj. they're exiting the stadium and they hear the cheer for horlock's goal but it's a consolation so they don't stop. then halfway down wembley way they hear the mental cheers for dickov's goal and they go belting back towards the ground. didn't get back in though. serves them right the silly gets. i've never had any time for any fan who leaves a game early. see also them blerts who left the ataturk at half-time in 2005 to start walking back into istanbul.

Yeah stevie, the ones who had actually exited the gates couldn't get back in but the ones who were blocking the biews whilst slowing walking down the aisles all about turned.

There was 12 of us but couldn't all get seats together. So one of my mates who was sat elsewhere left early. In his defence, his wife wasn't happy him going in the first place as they were flying out that night from Manchester to Jamaica. She was scared to death something would happen and he wouldn't make it back on time. He had a brand new M3 and boy did we belt it up the M1

October 2009 WC Qualifier Argentina vs. Peru at the Monumental Stadium in Buenos Aires. Argentina needed three points or they would not qualify for the WC after Maradona had taken them to the edge of unthinkable disaster. Martin Palermo scores at the death in an absolute monsoon. Madness.

https://youtu.be/Vmd_cQOcw2M

So many goals by Klinsmann....in my early time at the Lane in the '90's...mostly pilled up I was then even at the game....then the all night mayhem from the Seven Sisters Rd down to the West End and beyond....met some fantastic people...and some nutters it must be said but escaped in one piece.

The dancing in the streets of Raith game...1994....was sweet...all my family and friends going mental...that was a fantastic night even though not my club....

Lazio v Arsenal in the Champs League - in the Lazio end.

They'd gone ahead through a Crespo tap in, but then Pires went scooting up the park and scored his first goal for us (I think), a peach of a curler from the edge of the box.

We were stifling our laughter and the Lazio fans were patting us on the back because they thought we were crying.

When we got outside, Roma fans had set fire to a load of cars and the smell of tear gas was in the air...

Cracking night out.

Blow me down if I found it on Youtube!

I was at the other end of the pitch so they were quite tiny.

I was right behind Wrighty when he scored this one at Swindon though. That was the game that Graham took off Tony Adams because he was pissed out of his tree.

Editors note: Wrighty scored more than Klinsmann. And we won the ECWC that year while the tiny totts ended up empty handed. No wonder Sugar called him Carlos Kickaballs :)

Archived