Reports: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

Lite Beer

I just asked the Berliner Bistro who offers Visaruns. The borders would be closed even for proper visas. She told me, it's closed for about 2 weeks. They advise their clients to do the trip by air.

Somehow it's funny. Every time when there is something about visa, visa-runners, visa exempt entries and so on, all the old farts come out from their caves and bubbling some bullshit about; get a proper visa, you are illegal, we don't need you here, below 50 years old you should work in your home country.... <deleted>? We living in the Year 2015. These grumpy guys who worked hard their entire live to retirement in Thailand and now are jealous to younger people who are capable to travel around or just stay on a longer term. Even not the Thai Immigration is that ignorant.

now back to your caves. Old grumpy farts neus.gif

yes mate I think u hit the nail on the head there, especially stoker58 he sounds like a right old git

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 months ago in Chiangmai I sat across an Australian fugitive who was offering to sell education visa to my 2 expat friends. All he needed was the passport and a deposit money and he would enroll his clients in a specific language school and get them the proper immigration stamps. He claimed to be working in collaboration with high level Chiangmai Immigration officers. My friends didn't go with because they didn't trust him with the money but how many people would be prepared to pay this crook to stay a year instead of making the stressful journey to the Lao border every 3 months. This is just one form of corrupt practice by the Immigration Department that uses Farang accomplices as baits. What others are there?

Who said immi was in on it,the untrustworthy Ozzy.My bet he was just trousering the money.

Would be nice of the authorities to let visa runners know before possibly finding themselves in trouble.

What a mess of a country.

Nothing wrong with the country, just get the proper Visa so it can be extended. This is nothing compared to the confusion in Africa.

No of course there isnt. Head in the sand much ?

Proper visa ? I dont think your paying attention much at all.

Comparing an entire continent to a country is also a bit .... bizarre whistling.gif

Next step would be to stop all ASEAN citizens from crossing the border.

If there is another bombing by foreign nationals, then expect a complete shutdown of the Thai border and say goodbye to the tourist industry.

I guess people would turn to the radical idea of flying in.

There laws there country.......

Their laws, their country.

Your right.

Yes we all know that but that is not in question. They change the rules almost everyday, nothing is consistent, one day it's ok, the next is not. That means people can not plan. Like the oil rig workers working 30 days on 30 days off. They can come here with a 30 day stamp on arrival but guess what some have been turned away. The rules are not clear, these oil rig guys bring a lot of money into this country and do nothing wrong, they do not work here. What immigration needs is a shakeup and for the rules to be applied consistently.

If you're over fifty you can get a retirement visa. If you're under fifty you should be at home working, not loitering around in Thailand.

I am under 50 and unable to work, do you want to kick me out?

If you're unable to work how do you live in Thailand? Are you rich?
How is that any of your business?

If you're over fifty you can get a retirement visa. If you're under fifty you should be at home working, not loitering around in Thailand.

I am under 50 and unable to work, do you want to kick me out?

If you're unable to work how do you live in Thailand? Are you rich?
How is that any of your business?

Stoker is just taking the p**s out of you guys, hence it's nickname which you guys can't read/understand.

The Thai Consulate in Birmingham UK have posted a notice that the Thai Authoritihave changed the way in which they deal with tourists entering Thailand for up to 30 days without a valid visa and have given some explanation to try and clarify some of the resulting confusion

"The most important point to understand is that this Only affects people who do not have a valid visa." It is clearly stated that if you have a valid visa you are not affected.

The visa exemption applies only if 1) you hold a qualifying passport, 2) you are visiting as tourist ONLY, 3) you have a confirmed air ticket to leave the Kingdom within 30 days DIRECT FROM A THAI AIRPORT). You must be leaving by air and not from an airport outside of Thailand. Clearly someone doing a border run will not have the required confirmed flight.

The consulate state that this has been the rule for many years, the only change is that the rules are being applied more strictly. You will not be allowed entry into the kingdom without either a valid visa or complying with the three conditions summarised above for an exemption.

The consulate state that you may be given an exemption on entering via a land border but still subject to the same three conditions including the confirmed air flight out, direct from a Thai airport. The consulate refer only to a15 day exemption at the land border but I understood that for G7 countries 30 days was available at a land border. Obviously the 15 day exemption requires the flight in 15 days.

The consulate specifically note that this enforcement of the current rules is intended to end the practice of those without a valid visa crossing the border every 30 days. Airlines have also been asked to be vigilant in checking passengers have an appropriate visa or a 30 day or less return flight.

I have also noticed elsewhere on the embassy and consulate websites that you are only allowed 90 days total exemption within any 6 month period. Clearly this hasn't been enforced with back to back border runners, until now. Another thing that may be more often checked (?) is the requirement for adequate finances for all visitors (10,000 baht per person, 20,000 per family).

There laws there country.......

Your right.

Yes we all know that but that is not in question. They change the rules almost everyday, nothing is consistent, one day it's ok, the next is not. That means people can not plan. Like the oil rig workers working 30 days on 30 days off. They can come here with a 30 day stamp on arrival but guess what some have been turned away. The rules are not clear, these oil rig guys bring a lot of money into this country and do nothing wrong, they do not work here. What immigration needs is a shakeup and for the rules to be applied consistently.

Do you have links to posts from those who were "turned away" ?

The Thai Consulate in Birmingham UK have posted a notice that the Thai Authoritihave changed the way in which they deal with tourists entering Thailand for up to 30 days without a valid visa and have given some explanation to try and clarify some of the resulting confusion

"The most important point to understand is that this Only affects people who do not have a valid visa." It is clearly stated that if you have a valid visa you are not affected.

The visa exemption applies only if 1) you hold a qualifying passport, 2) you are visiting as tourist ONLY, 3) you have a confirmed air ticket to leave the Kingdom within 30 days DIRECT FROM A THAI AIRPORT). You must be leaving by air and not from an airport outside of Thailand. Clearly someone doing a border run will not have the required confirmed flight.

The consulate state that this has been the rule for many years, the only change is that the rules are being applied more strictly. You will not be allowed entry into the kingdom without either a valid visa or complying with the three conditions summarised above for an exemption.

The consulate state that you may be given an exemption on entering via a land border but still subject to the same three conditions including the confirmed air flight out, direct from a Thai airport. The consulate refer only to a15 day exemption at the land border but I understood that for G7 countries 30 days was available at a land border. Obviously the 15 day exemption requires the flight in 15 days.

The consulate specifically note that this enforcement of the current rules is intended to end the practice of those without a valid visa crossing the border every 30 days. Airlines have also been asked to be vigilant in checking passengers have an appropriate visa or a 30 day or less return flight.

I have also noticed elsewhere on the embassy and consulate websites that you are only allowed 90 days total exemption within any 6 month period. Clearly this hasn't been enforced with back to back border runners, until now. Another thing that may be more often checked (?) is the requirement for adequate finances for all visitors (10,000 baht per person, 20,000 per family).

does it mean that you can enter Thailand from Cambodia if you hold any "out of Thailand" plane ticket? Hasn't it changed now?

Who cares?

Just fly to Singapore and return back the same day.

Just stay there a few days, it's a great city with much better malls and things to do than bkk and many things are cheaper and not copycopy. Also they speak english and no scams there.

You can easy walk around there, very good pavements and it's clean/safe.

The 90/180 rule is old and out of date information. This regulation ran from 2006 and was repealed in 2008.

Who cares?

Just fly to Singapore and return back the same day.

Just stay there a few days, it's a great city with much better malls and things to do than bkk and many things are cheaper and not copycopy. Also they speak english and no scams there.

You can easy walk around there, very good pavements and it's clean/safe.

Ive worked in the docks in Singapore before and the last thing I want to do is stay there any longer than I have to.

Plus its too expensive and they only sell Tiger Beer.

The 90/180 rule is old and out of date information. This regulation ran from 2006 was repealed in 2008.

seriously, can you leave Thailand as usual? Do I need Thai Visa to get to Laos?

Your right.

Do you have links to posts from those who were "turned away" ?

Here's one and there are probably others but I do not have the time to search: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/852826-refused-entry-at-bangkok-immigration/

More chaos and confusion.

Maybe this is the start of the big overhaul of Immigration.

Why don't Immigration ever put out official news or statements?

Thanks Thai Visa, proving to be an invaluable information source again.

Those who do the in/out visa runs could be up sh1t creek because of this.

Stay tuned for more current updated news..

THanks Imm.

does it mean that you can enter Thailand from Cambodia if you hold any "out of Thailand" plane ticket? Hasn't it changed now?

Based on that report you are ok to enter as long as you have a booked flight out before the end of your allowed 15 or 30 day stay.

There has always been a rule to have an onward ticket but it wasn't enforced much by immigration. They seem to be limiting onward travel by air only, whereas before it could be by any method.

Based on that report you are ok to enter as long as you have a booked flight out before the end of your allowed 15 or 30 day stay.

There has always been a rule to have an onward ticket but it wasn't enforced much by immigration. They seem to be limiting onward travel by air only, whereas before it could be by any method.

i will be travelling to Thailand from Budapest on 26th of October. I will have my plane ticket to Myanmar (from Bangkok on the 23rd of November). I wanted to travel to Laos and Cambodia by land, then back to Bangkok. I will have confirmed plane ticket every time I enter Thailand (twice).

Woh someone booking a return ticket that excedds 30 days say 32 days will be stopped intering the kingdom. Is this correct now.

This has happened me previously where i booked a ticked which was more reasonable but exceded the 30 day stay. I was going to Hong Kong in the middle of the trip so got restamped.

i will be travelling to Thailand from Budapest on 26th of October. I will have my plane ticket to Myanmar (from Bangkok on the 23rd of November). I wanted to travel to Laos and Cambodia by land, then back to Bangkok. I will have confirmed plane ticket every time I enter Thailand (twice).

As long have you have booked flights you shouldn't have a problem. But you should keep up with official announcements between now and traveling.

I tried a visa run in Nong Khai today. At first my visa was approved and stamped. Then the officer looks at me and says, "You cannot come back into Thailand"!!! He cancels my visa and gives me back the passport. Tells me to go to a room behind me and to the side.

Some details: I entered Thailand at Suvarnabhumi three months ago. Got a 30 day tourist visa on entry. Then went to Immigration and got a 2 month extension as I am married to a Thai. After getting turned down today, I phoned my wife who came and talked with the officers in the back room. The guy was speaking Thai but sounded like he was going on and on about how you can no longer just go back and forth across the border and instead you have to get a visa before entering.

We are leaving the country later this month, and scheduled to return in December. An Immigration officer we know tells my wife they'll let me in again at Suvarnabhumi, but I'm worried- if they stopped me at Nong Khai, probably they'll stop me at the airport. And it would be really a bummer! So while I'm in America, I'm going to apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa (Family Visa) $200 for multiple entries for one year. A lot of money, but don't want to go through this again.

elviajero

thanks for your response. Why were people turned away? No out of country tickets? Do you think I will be able to leave Thailand overland and get Visa-on-Arrival to Laos?

The Thai authorities are tightening up on land border entries due to the Bangkok bombings. Yes you shouldn't have a problem leaving Thailand and visas are available on entry to Laos.

I tried a visa run in Nong Khai today. At first my visa was approved and stamped. Then the officer looks at me and says, "You cannot come back into Thailand"!!! He cancels my visa and gives me back the passport. Tells me to go to a room behind me and to the side.

Some details: I entered Thailand at Suvarnabhumi three months ago. Got a 30 day tourist visa on entry. Then went to Immigration and got a 2 month extension as I am married to a Thai. After getting turned down today, I phoned my wife who came and talked with the officers in the back room. The guy was speaking Thai but sounded like he was going on and on about how you can no longer just go back and forth across the border and instead you have to get a visa before entering.

We are leaving the country later this month, and scheduled to return in December. An Immigration officer we know tells my wife they'll let me in again at Suvarnabhumi, but I'm worried- if they stopped me at Nong Khai, probably they'll stop me at the airport. And it would be really a bummer! So while I'm in America, I'm going to apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa (Family Visa) $200 for multiple entries for one year. A lot of money, but don't want to go through this again.

Did you actually have a "Visa" or were you attempting to secure another "visa exempt entry" ?

So you are allowed to leave Thailand by land in Nong Khai if you want to get visa-on-arrival to Laos? You just need Thai Visa to get back? Do you need VISA when flying into Thailand?

Archived