Reports: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

Lite Beer

No more illegal tourists doing back to back border runs.

If you intend to stay in Thailand for an extended period you must apply for the correct visa.

There is nothing illegal in entering the country on Visa exempt entry more than one. Or many times for that matter.

If they don't want people doing that, they could just get rid of the visa exempt entry altogether. But until then, it's as legal as you are.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No more illegal tourists doing back to back border runs.

If you intend to stay in Thailand for an extended period you must apply for the correct visa.

There is nothing illegal in entering the country on Visa exempt entry more than one. Or many times for that matter.

If they don't want people doing that, they could just get rid of the visa exempt entry altogether. But until then, it's as legal as you are.

Conversely it isn't illegal to deny anybody entry for any reason whether they have a visa or attempt to enter on a visa waiver. There is no law saying they must let you in, for any reason. It is a privilege to enter a foreign country not a right.

If you leave Thailand (to Laos) and try to re-enter (from Cambodia) 28 days later, will you be denied entry without VISA?

That would depend on your "visa" history ...............

Why would anyone wish to enter without a visa ?

I have never travelled to Thailand before. Also, why would I get VISA if I got return / onward travel tickets and I am allowed to travel on visa exemption.

If you leave Thailand (to Laos) and try to re-enter (from Cambodia) 28 days later, will you be denied entry without VISA?

I have never travelled to Thailand before. Also, why would I get VISA if I got return / onward travel tickets and I am allowed to travel on visa exemption.

Because they are saying you will probably be refused if you don't.

Because they are saying you will probably be refused if you don't.

Ok, let's say I fly to Thailand from Europe, get 30 days, then travel overland to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. In Cambodia apply for tourist VISA. Get back to Thailand, fly to Myanmar, fly back to Bangkok (having return ticket to Europe). What do you think ?

My opinion isn't really important. However it seems they are weeding people out that are mainly on back to back visa waivers. I would do what you plan and keep myself updated on the situation. That doesn't sound unreasonable though. It shows a reasonable pattern of what a normal tourist does. Maybe others can weigh in but perhaps get the Thai tourist visa in Laos as it is less hassle if the time frame permits this.

Ok, let's say I fly to Thailand from Europe, get 30 days, then travel overland to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. In Cambodia apply for tourist VISA. Get back to Thailand, fly to Myanmar, fly back to Bangkok (having return ticket to Europe). What do you think ?

Got a cheaper idea for you.

You go to your local Embassy and apply for a double entry tourist visa. If you are already in Europe its the cheapest and most convenient option. Saves you the trip to the Cambodian Embassy. Also, instead of 30 days, you get 60 days on arrival for each entry. Each one of these entries can be extended locally for 1,900 baht (30 days)

After 90 days are up, go to Cambodia. We will tell you where at that time based on what we know more as the days go by about these stunts some immigration points are doing at the moment, but most likely Poipet which is only 3 hours away by bus from Bangkok, and come back in to reactivate your second entry.

If you live in an European country with a Thai Embasssy that gives Triple Entry Visa, you may consider that as well.

My opinion isn't really important. However it seems they are weeding people out that are mainly on back to back visa waivers. I would do what you plan and keep myself updated on the situation. That doesn't sound unreasonable though. It shows a reasonable pattern of what a normal tourist does. Maybe others can weigh in but perhaps get the Thai tourist visa in Laos as it is less hassle if the time frame permits this.

Thanks your your opinion but I already got non-refundable ticket back to Europe (Aeroflot to Moscow and then Warsaw). My plan is quite simple. I go to Thailand on the 25th of October. I also got my AirAsia ticket to Myanmar for the 23rd of November. Therefore I want to spend 2-3 days in Bangkok, go overland to Laos (get Visa on Arrival), then overland to Vietnam (already got VISA), then the same way to Cambodia. In Laos or Cambodia apply for a tourist Visa to Thailand. Get to Thailand, the next day is my flight to Myanmar, back in Bangkok after 10 days. Then 2 weeks in Thailand and back to Europe. Seems reasonable?

Thanks your your opinion but I already got non-refundable ticket back to Europe (Aeroflot to Moscow and then Warsaw). My plan is quite simple. I go to Thailand on the 25th of October. I also got my AirAsia ticket to Myanmar for the 23rd of November. Therefore I want to spend 2-3 days in Bangkok, go overland to Laos (get Visa on Arrival), then overland to Vietnam (already got VISA), then the same way to Cambodia. In Laos or Cambodia apply for a tourist Visa to Thailand. Get to Thailand, the next day is my flight to Myanmar, back in Bangkok after 10 days. Then 2 weeks in Thailand and back to Europe. Seems reasonable?

Yeah, sounds reasonable.

You do not need to apply for any visa in Cambodia or Laos, use the 30 days visa exempts. You fall into the category that travels a lot, so you are not mis-using the visa exempt entries. The problems appear with people staying 30 days on a visa waiver, then crossing the border and coming back after 5 minutes trying to secure another visa exempt.

Your situation is: First entry 25 October visa exempt 3 days. Second entry 22 November visa exempt 1 day. Third entry 3 December visa exempt 10 days

So 3 days, 1 day, 10 days. Non consecutive.

Go with visa waivers all the way. They are legal, free and you would not misuse them.

Yeah, sounds reasonable.

You do not need to apply for any visa in Cambodia or Laos, use the 30 days visa exempts. You fall into the category that travels a lot, so you are not mis-using the visa exempt entries. The problems appear with people staying 30 days on a visa waiver, then crossing the border and coming back after 5 minutes trying to secure another visa exempt.

Your situation is: First entry 25 October visa exempt 3 days. Second entry 22 November visa exempt 1 day. Third entry 3 December visa exempt 10 days

So 3 days, 1 day, 10 days. Non consecutive.

Go with visa waivers all the way. They are legal, free and you would not misuse them.

Yes, I will be in Bangkok for 2-3 days, then leave for 28 days, back for a day, leave for 10 days and then back for 10-14 days. So no visa-runs ect.

Yes, I will be in Bangkok for 2-3 days, then leave for 28 days, back for a day, leave for 10 days and then back for 10-14 days. So no visa-runs ect.

Ok so just to break it down again.

When you leave Europe and you are at the airport to check- in for your Thailand flight, you will be asked for an onward ticket. You can produce the Air Asia Myanmar ticket which is on the 23rd of November. So that's within 30 days, you're fine at that point. Bring a copy of that, the airport staff will ask you to show it. Don't go into detail about your Laos Vietnam or Cambodia it's irrelevant for them just tell them you will exit in less than 30 days to Myanmar.

So you get to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, you get your first 30 days free. You may be asked again about the Myanmar ticket, have the copy ready.

Laos for visa on arrival you don't need to produce any proofs such as tickets or funds.

For Vietnam I'm not sure their requirements, check again but I think should be ok.

Cambodia the same, you don't need to provide any other proof.

When you get back to Thailand, you will be doing a border run. You should not encounter any problems. Have a printed copy of your Myanmar ticket just in case and have access to 10,000 baht or equivalent. Chances are you won't be asked, but you never know. You will get only 15 days waiver because you're doing a border cross, or 30 days (I don't know your nationality), but you only need one day so that's not important.

On your third entry to Thailand provide your return ticket to Europe if asked and have access to 10,000 baht or equivalent.

But yeah the whole picture looks good to me, I'd say that would more than cover you.

Can someone else clarify if the proof of funds is 10,000 or 20,000 for a tourist visa exempt?

PS: On your third entry, depending on your nationality and how you come back from Myanmar (via land or airport), you may get 15 days or 30 days. Because you said you're planning about 2 weeks, make sure that your exit date back to Europe and the date of your plane ticket is within those 15 days or 30 days. If not, consider flying into Thailand from Myanmar or adjust your departure date to Europe accordingly.

Ok so just to break it down again.

When you leave Europe and you are at the airport to check- in for your Thailand flight, you will be asked for an onward ticket. You can produce the Air Asia Myanmar ticket which is on the 23rd of November. So that's within 30 days, you're fine at that point. Bring a copy of that, the airport staff will ask you to show it. Don't go into detail about your Laos Vietnam or Cambodia it's irrelevant for them just tell them you will exit in less than 30 days to Myanmar.

So you get to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, you get your first 30 days free. You may be asked again about the Myanmar ticket, have the copy ready.

Laos for visa on arrival you don't need to produce any proofs such as tickets or funds.

For Vietnam I'm not sure their requirements, check again but I think should be ok.

Cambodia the same, you don't need to provide any other proof.

When you get back to Thailand, you will be doing a border run. You should not encounter any problems. Have a printed copy of your Myanmar ticket just in case and have access to 10,000 baht or equivalent. Chances are you won't be asked, but you never know. You will get only 15 days waiver because you're doing a border cross, or 30 days (I don't know your nationality), but you only need one day so that's not important.

On your third entry to Thailand provide your return ticket to Europe if asked and have access to 10,000 baht or equivalent.

But yeah the whole picture looks good to me, I'd say that would more than cover you.

Can someone else clarify if the proof of funds is 10,000 or 20,000 for a tourist visa exempt?

PS: On your third entry, depending on your nationality and how you come back from Myanmar (via land or airport), you may get 15 days or 30 days. Because you said you're planning about 2 weeks, make sure that your exit date back to Europe and the date of your plane ticket is within those 15 days or 30 days. If not, consider flying into Thailand from Myanmar or adjust your departure date to Europe accordingly.

Thanks! I will be flying from Myanmar to Bangkok, don't have return ticket yet but will get one by the end of September. Also, I bought a ticket out of Thailand for the 16th of December. This means that I will spend 12-14 days in Thailand.

Yeah that's the amount that seems to be coming out of their mouths, the ones that do ask, although on the website of immigration TH it states 10k for tourist visa exemption. Maybe not updated? See this is what bothers me...inconsistencies.

Do you need 20.000 in cash or is there any way to prove your funds?

My advice? I would carry that in cash or equivalent. 600 euros at least not to get screwed by the currency fluctuation. Just to be on the safe side.

Worst case yes have a card and if asked withdraw from an atm.

Chances are you will not be asked all these things, but a backup doesn't hurt.

As other people said before, the entry to any country depends on the immigration officer at the end of the day.

Nobody can give you a 100% guarantee that you will be admitted into any country. Some people get refused entry to the US with a valid visa.

But in 99.9% of the cases, if you do things right and by the book, as explained above, I don't see why any problems should arise.

Those rules have been put in place for people that turn these visas into "long term living" in Thailand. You are clearly a genuine tourist based on your itinerary, I would not see any reason to worry if I was you.

Why don't Immigration ever put out official news or statements?

It isn't just Immigration: Thais generally seem to have a lot of trouble providing succinct and accurate information in any language. I dont know why.

maybe its your lack of reading comprehension.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only part I don't really like about your plan is the over land crossing from Cambodia. That is what as at issue currently and should be resolved but I would keep updated on this and fly if it seems easier.

I appreciate your help. I will be travelling from Cambodia to Thailand on 22nd of November so there is plenty of time. Things might change ! If not, then I will get a tourist visa or book a flight to Bangkok.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only part I don't really like about your plan is the over land crossing from Cambodia. That is what as at issue currently and should be resolved but I would keep updated on this and fly if it seems easier.

I appreciate your help. I will be travelling from Cambodia to Thailand on 22nd of November so there is plenty of time. Things might change ! If not, then I will get a tourist visa or book a flight to Bangkok.

That is the only reason i suggested maybe picking one up when you are in Laos. The Cambodian embassy is known to be unpleasant. So if it seems uncertain you can do that or fly. The visa would cover your trip. So it seems you are good to go no matter what.

Archived