Reports: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

Lite Beer

I am sure you can draw that amount out of an ATM if need be.

perhaps printout of your bank statement My friends went to Thailand and never been asked.

Look, I am being overly cautious here, with these people you never know.

Yes, a printout could work. Yes, your friends have never been asked I know. I have never been asked myself.

I am just trying to cover all the angles. As in: what would I do if I was asked and how would I solve the situation. I know that most likely I won't.

If they wanted to pick on me, based on other reports, I know they would insist on cash. Stupid I know but what can you do? It's their "discretion" isn't it?

But then again, these cases are rare, don't let this discussion scare you. Most people here on ThaiVisa have identified ways to "play" with the system, most users here being people that have spent a considerable amount of time in Thailand and have these type of concerns.

You want to travel a few times for very short durations, shouldn't worry about it too much.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only part I don't really like about your plan is the over land crossing from Cambodia. That is what as at issue currently and should be resolved but I would keep updated on this and fly if it seems easier.

I appreciate your help. I will be travelling from Cambodia to Thailand on 22nd of November so there is plenty of time. Things might change ! If not, then I will get a tourist visa or book a flight to Bangkok.

That is the only reason i suggested maybe picking one up when you are in Laos. The Cambodian embassy is known to be unpleasant. So if it seems uncertain you can do that or fly. The visa would cover your trip. So it seems you are good to go no matter what.

This is going to be my first time in Asia but I used to travel across Europe extensively, from Ukraine to Scotland so I am definitively not a rookie. Just wanted to make sure the whole trip will be as smooth as possible. The only think that I have to bear in mind is the way out of Cambodia. I will just get a plane ticket if there is no other option.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The only part I don't really like about your plan is the over land crossing from Cambodia. That is what as at issue currently and should be resolved but I would keep updated on this and fly if it seems easier.

I appreciate your help. I will be travelling from Cambodia to Thailand on 22nd of November so there is plenty of time. Things might change ! If not, then I will get a tourist visa or book a flight to Bangkok.

That is the only reason i suggested maybe picking one up when you are in Laos. The Cambodian embassy is known to be unpleasant. So if it seems uncertain you can do that or fly. The visa would cover your trip. So it seems you are good to go no matter what.

This is going to be my first time in Asia but I used to travel across Europe extensively, from Ukraine to Scotland so I am definitively not a rookie. Just wanted to make sure the whole trip will be as smooth as possible. The only think that I have to bear in mind is the way out of Cambodia. I will just get a plane ticket if there is no other option.

Bingo! They aren't going to question you on the way back from Myanmar to get your flight home.

There's an interesting take on the situation here: Bomber Blame Game Sees Thailand Immigration Abruptly Change Visa Rules

"The immigration police are annoyed that they are being publicly humiliated and made to look like the bad guys in all of this. The head of police accuses them of being corrupt, but makes no mention of the corruption inside the police. The easiest way for the immigration police to proceed is to not process the documents in the areas where they have been accused of being corrupt"

As of Sunday, September 13 Thailand land border crossings at Phu Nam Ron and Ban Pakard, were refusing to admit people using the visa exempt entry method or people attempting to do an in-out visa hop, while the Thai border crossing at Aranyaprathet and Hat Lek were reported to be allowing bona fide tourists to enter using the visa exempt entry method, but were refusing reentry to people with multiple entry visas.

perhaps printout of your bank statement My friends went to Thailand and never been asked.

A bank statement is no use. Asking to see cash is rare but it's a requirement and you can be denied entry without it.

A bank statement is no use. Asking to see cash is rare but it's a requirement and you can be denied entry without it.

Ok!

Do you need 20.000 in cash or is there any way to prove your funds?

Visa exempt entry = 10k min

Tourist visa = 20k min

It's best to have cash but you should be ok with travellers cheques for some of it.

I tell you what the problem is. The problem is that you don't know what information to consider reliable. This is p#ssing me off so badly.

Did you know that the MFA Thai Website still states in FAQ that you can spend 90 days out of 180 days in Thailand max? Yes, that section of a government website was not updated since 2008.

So for tourist visa I'm clear, it says 20K. However, both elviajero and another user are right, because it is both 10k and 20k for visa exempt.

10k according to the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and also the Immigration Website. Probably not updated.

20k according to lawyers visa websites.

Who to believe? You'd think the government websites right? Well you can't rely on them too much can you?

Although I'm not in a visa exempt situation, I would be curious to see what would come out of an argument between me and the IO, me telling him its 10k and him telling me its 20k because "he says so". I'd probably be left wondering in Cambodia no?

This is what I find frustrating. This is only an example of what makes people moan on this forum. Cheers to all of those guys saying the forum is full of negativity.

The reason for this is they have no way of verifying a statement from a bank. What you had in your account yesterday may not be what is in there today.

The embassies are buying it though. The ones requesting for such a thing when issuing tourist visas.

On the retirement side of things, my understanding is that it is technically possible in Thailand for 800,000 baht to appear and disappear from your bank account and it wasn't even your money to begin with. For a certain commission.

I'm way under 50, just saying :)

There's an interesting take on the situation here: Bomber Blame Game Sees Thailand Immigration Abruptly Change Visa Rules

"The immigration police are annoyed that they are being publicly humiliated and made to look like the bad guys in all of this. The head of police accuses them of being corrupt, but makes no mention of the corruption inside the police. The easiest way for the immigration police to proceed is to not process the documents in the areas where they have been accused of being corrupt"

As of Sunday, September 13 Thailand land border crossings at Phu Nam Ron and Ban Pakard, were refusing to admit people using the visa exempt entry method or people attempting to do an in-out visa hop, while the Thai border crossing at Aranyaprathet and Hat Lek were reported to be allowing bona fide tourists to enter using the visa exempt entry method, but were refusing reentry to people with multiple entry visas.

This says everything about the frustrations of living in a Third World country where there is no true rule of law. Instead, people have their lives overturned by the whim of an individual. It is certainly part of the "cost" a foreigner must bear when living in Thailand. Thailand is largely indifferent to the treatment of its own people. If you are a foreigner, it is crazy to expect anything even approximating that indifference. In its place is going to be hostility. That's just the way it is.

This says everything about the frustrations of living in a Third World country where there is no true rule of law. Instead, people have their lives overturned by the whim of an individual. It is certainly part of the "cost" a foreigner must bear when living in Thailand. Thailand is largely indifferent to the treatment of its own people. If you are a foreigner, it is crazy to expect anything even approximating that indifference. In its place is going to be hostility. That's just the way it is.

Not that Thailand wasn't regressing to begin with, but it sure seems like the Bangkok bombers have done the country far more damage than was obvious during the immediate aftermath. The lack of concern for the national good and the national image by its very guardians is just staggering. And this in a country that many had come to consider First World, or on the brink of it at least.

He is not referring to tourists. He is referring to the loads of people abusing the system and working illegally in Thailand or trying to live here for extended periods without valid long stay visas (i.e. retirement visas, marriage visas, work permits).

1. i'm in my 40s so no retirement visa available

2. i don't need to work. i'm self-sufficient and if i ever were to work again it would be in the west (ie. western salary) and not thailand.

3. i'm not interested to engage with/marry a thai woman

so according to you people like me have no right to stay longterm in this country? i speak the language better than most clowns who married here or "work" here, i have genuine friends here (and not a bunch of parasites eating my cash). i've never been illegal in the country, i do things by the book (although i have been offered all kinds of solutions by the always friendly $mm$gration p€ople), but i deliberately am a longterm tourist which seems to annoy a certain type of people on TVF. is it jealousy? or plain bitterness... please enlight me. cheers.

Just do what I did, buy the 5 year visa. It's plain sailing all the way once you get that.

Of course you need to put your money where your mouth is with this option...

More chaos and confusion.

Maybe this is the start of the big overhaul of Immigration.

Why don't Immigration ever put out official news or statements?

Thanks Thai Visa, proving to be an invaluable information source again.

Those who do the in/out visa runs could be up sh1t creek because of this.

Come ooooonnnnnnn....

I is more than 6 month since Immigration announced that they would no longer allow visa runners.......

wai.gif

No more illegal tourists doing back to back border runs.

If you intend to stay in Thailand for an extended period you must apply for the correct visa.

You are right. Apply for the correct VISA.

I don't understand all this bla bla on THAI VISA FORUM and the big HEADLINES.

It was announced so many times that they would stop back to back excempt runners. (btw its not a VISA, it is an excempt-visa stamp)

For sure immigration will know and spot real tourists. A real tourist (with an excempt-visa stamp) is not going to the border for 5 minutes and then return.

More chaos and confusion.

Maybe this is the start of the big overhaul of Immigration.

Why don't Immigration ever put out official news or statements?

Thanks Thai Visa, proving to be an invaluable information source again.

Those who do the in/out visa runs could be up sh1t creek because of this.

Come ooooonnnnnnn....

I is more than 6 month since Immigration announced that they would no longer allow visa runners.......

wai.gif

Exactly. And now some certain people whining around instead of taking care to get a proper visa in this six months. And also complaining about no law enforcement in general but when they do it doesn't fit them...

If you intend to stay in Thailand for an extended period you must apply for the correct visa.

You are right. Apply for the correct VISA.

I don't understand all this bla bla on THAI VISA FORUM and the big HEADLINES.

It was announced so many times that they would stop back to back excempt runners. (btw its not a VISA, it is an excempt-visa stamp)

For sure immigration will know and spot real tourists. A real tourist (with an excempt-visa stamp) is not going to the border for 5 minutes and then return.

"A real tourist (with an excempt-visa stamp) is not going to the border for 5 minutes and then return."

Oh, is that so? Well, Mr. Wizard, so you arrive in Thailand on Day #1, and on Day #28 or #29 decide you'd like to stay for a few more weeks, and head for the border to get a new stamp as visitors have been doing - LEGALLY - for decades. Tell us, why are you NOT a tourist simply because you wanted to stay for 6 weeks instead of the original 4?

If a person gets a Tourist Visa before he comes, HE can stay for 8 weeks! How come HE'S a "tourist", but the guy who goes to the border to get a new stamp in order to stay for only 6 (as an example) is not?

Someone who goes to the Immigration Office can obtain a 30-day extension now on a visa exempt stamp. Again, what makes HIM a "tourist", and the guy that goes to the border for the exact same purpose NOT a tourist?

Honestly, some of the nonsense one reads on these threads could choke a goat.

But if they have not enough money for a retirement visa and no wife for a marriage visa and perhaps they do not want to work------- how can they stay here legally?

The reason for this is they have no way of verifying a statement from a bank. What you had in your account yesterday may not be what is in there today.

The embassies are buying it though. The ones requesting for such a thing when issuing tourist visas.

On the retirement side of things, my understanding is that it is technically possible in Thailand for 800,000 baht to appear and disappear from your bank account and it wasn't even your money to begin with. For a certain commission.

I'm way under 50, just saying smile.png

The Fat Lady may have song on this as I'm seeing reports out of Sin City of no more. This is as of late Saturday afternoon.

But if they have not enough money for a retirement visa and no wife for a marriage visa and perhaps they do not want to work------- how can they stay here legally?

Well, surely if they do not have enough money to retire or support a wife and family, there must be better options in their home countries?

Personally, I can't understand why a person under 50 with strong financial resources is not allowed to reside here.It is, after all, their money being spent in the country?

Thainess at its best, with this sort of blame & tantrum scenario who would really want stay in thailand out of choice, far far better places in asia exist.

The top end of all official organizations are rotten & degenerate, current government included & future of thailand is looking worse by the week.

Not that Thailand wasn't regressing to begin with, but it sure seems like the Bangkok bombers have done the country far more damage than was obvious during the immediate aftermath. The lack of concern for the national good and the national image by its very guardians is just staggering. And this in a country that many had come to consider First World, or on the brink of it at least.

" And this in a country that many had come to consider First World, or on the brink of it at least."

Many? I seriously doubt it.

Many of my friend from the UK come for 6 weeks, like I used to do years ago.. so a trip to the border is a must...

So know they have to fly somewhere ? or get a TR Visa before coming.? Thailand is not as cheap as it used to be, this will now add even more cost to their 6 weeks holiday.

Archived