Reports: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

Lite Beer

I just booked a Tourist Visa run for tomorrow in Pattaya,they raised the price from 1900 baht before this Debacle, now 2400baht for Cambodia Run,so it seems the border is open for tourist,marriage,will let u know tomorrow if allowed or not

Just returned from Ban Pakkard ,Cambodia border run, Very Quiet and No Problems,Had a 1 day Overstay bcuz of this Debacle,of course I had to pay,bcuz of their Knee Jerk Reactions TIT,This was Tourist Visa Run

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just booked a Tourist Visa run for tomorrow in Pattaya,they raised the price from 1900 baht before this Debacle, now 2400baht for Cambodia Run,so it seems the border is open for tourist,marriage,will let u know tomorrow if allowed or not

Just returned from Ban Pakkard ,Cambodia border run, Very Quiet and No Problems,Had a 1 day Overstay bcuz of this Debacle,of course I had to pay,bcuz of their Knee Jerk Reactions TIT,This was Tourist Visa Run

What is a tourist visa run?

Did you start a second entry? Or did you get a 15 / 30 day visa waiver?

Did you return the same day?

No reason at all for Visas. All Passports are electronic and they to will be replaced with a credit card type passport like I have now. Basically once you scan into a country your background is checked that very moment, Your either allowed entry or not. Simple as that. And if you do something wrong in a country your passport card can be frozen at any time. No reasn at al for Visas anymore its an antiquated system.

Which country only issues "credit card type" passports?

More importantly which countries accept the card in lieu of a normal passport ?

8 months ago in Chiangmai I sat across an Australian fugitive who was offering to sell education visa to my 2 expat friends. All he needed was the passport and a deposit money and he would enroll his clients in a specific language school and get them the proper immigration stamps. He claimed to be working in collaboration with high level Chiangmai Immigration officers. My friends didn't go with because they didn't trust him with the money but how many people would be prepared to pay this crook to stay a year instead of making the stressful journey to the Lao border every 3 months. This is just one form of corrupt practice by the Immigration Department that uses Farang accomplices as baits. What others are there?

Is this guy? https://www.facebook.com/nigel.d.wells?fref=ts ?

If it's him do somebody knows how to report him to the immigration and ask if he is qualified or not to do that? He use to put stickers in Loi Kroh advertsing is services and he goes around in restaurant asking the people what kind of Visa they've got, sometimes trying to convincing them that they are "at fault" because they didn't notify their place of stay in the last 24 hor etc etc...but he can fix everything...(well he didn't do it with me because he would had a free extension for medical reason). This country attracts them like the flies

Yes D.W.Claims to work directly with Thai immigration and used advertise openly on F.B.Is he still active ?

No more illegal tourists doing back to back border runs.

If you intend to stay in Thailand for an extended period you must apply for the correct visa.

What about a non O marriage visa. It is a proper visa but still requires border runs every 3 months.

Think man, think.

What is a tourist visa run?

Did you start a second entry? Or did you get a 15 / 30 day visa waiver?

Did you return the same day?

a Tourist visa let's u stay at least 60 days then u go Immigration and get 30 additional days for 1900 baht,then u do a visa border run,and re-enter Thailand for another set of 60 and 30 days this is a double entry visa ,I was back in 10 min. In Thailand...Yes I started 2nd entry

If you intend to stay in Thailand for an extended period you must apply for the correct visa.

But if they have not enough money for a retirement visa and no wife for a marriage visa and perhaps they do not want to work------- how can they stay here legally?

They can't, and rightly so, try staying in America, Australia, NZ. and many other countries without enough money to support yourself - bye bye, and more importantly, why should they want you here.

They should want those guys here because it's better for Thailand if money is spent in Thailand rather than in Italy, Canada, Malaysia or Cambodia. It's not rocket science. Whether they spend their 250.000 B per year in two weeks or in 10 months is irrelevant from a macro economic perspective.

I just showed up with myself and my passport 3 months ago at Suvarnabhumi and again today at Nong Khai. Hadn't arranged a visa beforehand.

A bit of perhaps useful trivia for anyone entering Laos: I didn't check today, but it's been true for years that if you're from the U.S. or some European countries, they charge you $30- $35 cash to enter Laos. But if you want to pay in Thai money, it's been the equivalent of $50 in baht! (Plus today it was an extra $1 as it was Sunday.) So bring U.S. cash.

Yeah, they are worse "diggers" than the Thais at Nong Khai Laos Immigration.

Going over to Udon from Laos this weekend for usual monthly family visit so will see what happens.

I just came back from a visa run to Mae Sai last night (Sept 13, 2015), to start my 2nd entry on my 2-entry visa. Didn't have any problems and everything went smoothly. I did see that the had "No more visa runs" sign that freaked me out a bit, but I guess this is only if you don't have a visa already.

what if you went to thailand for 2-3 days and try to re-enter a month later for another couple of days? That would not be suspicious !

We do it every month from Laos, just for the weekend, never been any problems in last 11 months, hoping nothing has changed.

What about a non O marriage visa. It is a proper visa but still requires border runs every 3 months.

Think man, think.

You need to exit Thailand every 90 days.

Do that and you have a valid visa to re-enter Thailand whether it half an hour or 3 days later.

Visa holders are not the target of this clampdown.

Think man, think.

Or you show them, that you have 400.000 Baht in a Thai Bank.

+ all the paperwork (not forget the picture from your family in front of your house).

Then you can stay 1 Year.

But you have to do every 90 days your (online) report at an immigration office.

They can't, and rightly so, try staying in America, Australia, NZ. and many other countries without enough money to support yourself - bye bye, and more importantly, why should they want you here.

Bye bye what ? Thailand is not America., however there are some tens of millions illegal immigrant in America, Some has money, some has not and Immigration can't chase them all even if they wanted.

Bye bye what ? Thailand is not America., however there are some tens of millions illegal immigrant in America, Some has money, some has not and Immigration can't chase them all even if they wanted.

What about NZ and Australia?

Do those countries encourage "millions" of "illegals" to enter and stay?

ok, all these terms you use, are wrong, there is no retirement visa, there is no visa run... .

where have you seen a visa run in your passport.?

"retirement" is an extension of an authorisation to stay. retirement doesn't exist in Thailand for farang.

"visa run" is a visit to a country just to re enter Thailand. can take 30 seconds. stamp in, stamp out. "visa run" means nothing really. correct term is "leaving Thailand", then come back with no visa or with a visa.

farangs invent words that they don't even understand! then Thai do the same. at the end, everybody is confused. (TIT)

ok, all these terms you use, are wrong, there is no retirement visa, there is no visa run... .

"retirement" is an extension of an authorisation to stay.

"visa run" is a visit to a country just to reenter Thailand. can take 30 seconds. stamp in, stamp out. "visa run" means nothing really.

farangs invent words that they don't even understand!

Who is "you"?

Who is this comment directed at ?

"retirement" is an extension of an authorisation to stay. retirement doesn't exist in Thailand for farang.

"visa run" is a visit to a country just to re enter Thailand. can take 30 seconds. stamp in, stamp out. "visa run" means nothing really. correct term is "leaving Thailand", then come back with no visa or with a visa.

farangs invent words that they don't even understand! then Thai do the same. at the end, everybody is confused. (TIT)

Border run = Go outside Thailand for a few minutes only and come back, either with a second or third entry, or with visa exemption.

Visa run = Go outside Thailand to visit a Thai embassy, get a visa, and come back to Thailand with a visa...

I think that's it... ?

Border run = Go outside Thailand for a few minutes only and come back, either with a second or third entry, or with visa exemption.

Visa run = Go outside Thailand to visit a Thai embassy, get a visa, and come back to Thailand with a visa...

I think that's it... ?

that seems close enough for me. Now the question is, for a visa exemption, how long would one have to wait before they let you back in to Thailand? The posts seem to say that "immediate" returns are being stopped. what qualifies as Non-immediate? One day? One week? Never with another Visa exemption?

If if was due to bombing, they would close ALL borders.

A terrorist can easily change his journey to another border.

perhaps,

BUT he went to Cambodia so its a reaction to that

Next time another terrorist could fly in, come across the Myanmar border, Malaysian border, by sea, by helicopter who knows.

This knee jerk reaction only being applied to the border of the country he happened to cross over from is illogical and will, at most be easily circumvented by anyone except the world's dumbest criminal.

Invalidity pension.

Many on this forum would question why, as someone on a disability pension, you would choose, and I quote, " to live in a 3rd world, banana republic run by a military junta". Of course, they are the disgruntled few who have never managed to enjoy their lives in Thailand.

I don't think I said "3rd world", it's an obsolete term.

When I came 15 years ago it was a totally different place.

Hence my despair to see it turn this way.

Blimey! You've been living in Thailand for fifteen years and you're still not fifty? So you got an invalidity pension for life when you were about thirty? Blimey!

Who said I have been invalid since I arrived here?

Why are you so interested in me?

Do you need 20.000 in cash or is there any way to prove your funds?

Visa exempt entry = 10k min

Tourist visa = 20k min

It's best to have cash but you should be ok with travellers cheques for some of it.

I tell you what the problem is. The problem is that you don't know what information to consider reliable. This is p#ssing me off so badly.

Did you know that the MFA Thai Website still states in FAQ that you can spend 90 days out of 180 days in Thailand max? Yes, that section of a government website was not updated since 2008.

So for tourist visa I'm clear, it says 20K. However, both elviajero and another user are right, because it is both 10k and 20k for visa exempt.

10k according to the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and also the Immigration Website. Probably not updated.

20k according to lawyers visa websites.

Who to believe? You'd think the government websites right? Well you can't rely on them too much can you?

Although I'm not in a visa exempt situation, I would be curious to see what would come out of an argument between me and the IO, me telling him its 10k and him telling me its 20k because "he says so". I'd probably be left wondering in Cambodia no?

This is what I find frustrating. This is only an example of what makes people moan on this forum. Cheers to all of those guys saying the forum is full of negativity.

I understand your frustration but some people on this forum do know what they are talking about. Yes the 90/180 is still mentioned on the MFA site and also appears on the London Embassy website too. But I assure you it was repealed in 2008 and the websites are out of date.

Here is the link to the order repealing the 90/180 rule in favour of reducing border entries from 30 to 15 days. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

G7 countries were later allowed allowed to go back to 30 days as detailed in this link.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/services.pdf

Here is the full list for the amount of cash required. Sorry but I don't have an official link. These rates were set years ago but are rarely enforced.

• Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  • Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
  • Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.
  • Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.
Anyone concerned about the amount they need should carry 20k then they have nothing to worry about.

I know they are out of date, that's exactly the problem. They did not bother to update. The excuse: "Oh well this is Thailand what can you do" is not acceptable to me when one finds himself in a position to be arbitrarily rejected at a border for whatever reason.

This is what was frustrating me. They should get their sh#$ together on a serious topic like Immigration. Make rules and stick to them. Its not comforting for me, trying to follow the law, to find contradicting information on official websites.

If if was due to bombing, they would close ALL borders.

A terrorist can easily change his journey to another border.

perhaps,

BUT he went to Cambodia so its a reaction to that

Next time another terrorist could fly in, come across the Myanmar border, Malaysian border, by sea, by helicopter who knows.

This knee jerk reaction only being applied to the border of the country he happened to cross over from is illogical and will, at most be easily circumvented by anyone except the world's dumbest criminal.

agreed, illogical as in falang no understand

anyway, once again a TV post has turned pathetic ("I have more rights to be here than those others").

the problem is not falang border/visa-runners. the problem is immigration police being bribed by bombers or trafficking criminals. we all know people here, harmless long-stayers, who have been using loopholes and connections. so what? but no. the bitter intolerant farang w/ the accusing finger ("him no pay taxes, him no buy house in name of wife (2nd wife, 3rd wife), him too young and vital, him blah blah blah")

for me it's simple: i don't want WP, i don't want job, i don't want wife/geek/whore/gf/mianoi/ladyboy/bf/dog/cat/goldfish, i don't want elite, i don't want ED, etc. and i'm too young to get retirement visas (and i'm glad i'm still <50). i want peace of mind, so, i stay here (legal) for 9-10 months a year (for many consecutive years) as a tourist (because i like the weather, the people, the food, the nature, travel around domestically and neighbouring countries, ie. tourist stuff) with TR triple entry and i pay 1900 for extentions (for which i get a 500thb receipt whistling.gif ) and i do border runs (sometimes just in-out, sometimes longer travels) and the day i can't stay here like that i will leave and spend my lazy-money elsewhere, exactly what i was doing before i came to thailand. no poblèèèèèm. i'm free. no emotional burden, no financial burden, in other words the TRUE ELITE (sarcasm alert)............ biggrin.png

• 2 months later...

From the article:

It is also unclear if only those people staying in Thailand on visa exempt entries are affected or if this also impacts people who have a valid Tourist Visa.

First, I have always thought that it makes it sound somehow illegal to make a 'Visa run' which it of course isn't. There are people who try to obey the law the way they can and that's it. I myself have found it utterly ridiculous that a hosting country likes to bully us in any way they can. Due to my age and not being married per se I can't get any long-term visa so been here on Non-O, tourist visa, educational visa and even WP at some point. I find it a bit too much at times and so we are looking to leave here at some point. This is how I feel about it.

Secondly, it is very counter-productive. The image as welcoming country can be lost at some point and after that tourists and others seek their fun and holidays elsewhere. They should understand that one has to try to make visitors happy every time and every year. Not just say we have this Thai culture and deal with it.

Thirdly, why oh why is it so difficult to apply SAME rules and regulations in every immigration office, consulate, embassy and border checkpoint? Time, money and effort are constantly lost due to their lack of professional conduct. It is so far from the modern ways and methods. It gives anyone staying here a bit longer a very bad taste of everything Thai. I would have invested more and would consider staying if things were different. Just like in my country, do your paperwork, pay your taxes and dues and you can stay. No ridiculous trips to surrounding countries.

Thailand is already struggling with tourism. There might be some new people among those affected that will carry the message to their friends. Thais tend to forget that outside Thailand information and testimonials spread with a speed of the light. But they still like to stuck to their old ways and that will some day come to bite them from the behind.

Yes, I like this...I have 6 month tourist visa and have just returned from a Cambo run..and I have to say, its quite silly really..Go out-come in..shake it all about....and thats what its all about. One should not have to mess with this 'childish drama'...its quite off-putting...and I detected anti-farang sentiment from the some of the Thais...Possibly there will be a reduction in the number of farangs in future visiting, but the Thais will happily replace us with the Chinese, who have the money. Good bye and good luck lovely Thailand...I'm off to Bognor UK, unless they make me Go out..come in

to the town several times.

From the article:

It is also unclear if only those people staying in Thailand on visa exempt entries are affected or if this also impacts people who have a valid Tourist Visa.

First, I have always thought that it makes it sound somehow illegal to make a 'Visa run' which it of course isn't. There are people who try to obey the law the way they can and that's it. I myself have found it utterly ridiculous that a hosting country likes to bully us in any way they can. Due to my age and not being married per se I can't get any long-term visa so been here on Non-O, tourist visa, educational visa and even WP at some point. I find it a bit too much at times and so we are looking to leave here at some point. This is how I feel about it.

Secondly, it is very counter-productive. The image as welcoming country can be lost at some point and after that tourists and others seek their fun and holidays elsewhere. They should understand that one has to try to make visitors happy every time and every year. Not just say we have this Thai culture and deal with it.

Thirdly, why oh why is it so difficult to apply SAME rules and regulations in every immigration office, consulate, embassy and border checkpoint? Time, money and effort are constantly lost due to their lack of professional conduct. It is so far from the modern ways and methods. It gives anyone staying here a bit longer a very bad taste of everything Thai. I would have invested more and would consider staying if things were different. Just like in my country, do your paperwork, pay your taxes and dues and you can stay. No ridiculous trips to surrounding countries.

Thailand is already struggling with tourism. There might be some new people among those affected that will carry the message to their friends. Thais tend to forget that outside Thailand information and testimonials spread with a speed of the light. But they still like to stuck to their old ways and that will some day come to bite them from the behind.

Yes, I like this...I have 6 month tourist visa and have just returned from a Cambo run..and I have to say, its quite silly really..Go out-come in..shake it all about....and thats what its all about. One should not have to mess with this 'childish drama'...its quite off-putting...and I detected anti-farang sentiment from the some of the Thais...Possibly there will be a reduction in the number of farangs in future visiting, but the Thais will happily replace us with the Chinese, who have the money. Good bye and good luck lovely Thailand...I'm off to Bognor UK, unless they make me Go out..come in

The Chinese may or may not have a lot of money. Whether they do or not, I doubt much of it will be finding its way into Thai pockets. And I think some Thais are already beginning to get this.

From the article:

Perhaps off topic, but it is popularly believed that King George V last words on his deathbed in 1936 were "Bugger Bognor".

His doctor is rumoured to have suggested he go there to recuperate from his illness.

Archived