Reports: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

Lite Beer

No more illegal tourists doing back to back border runs.

If you intend to stay in Thailand for an extended period you must apply for the correct visa.

Exactly

The problem people are having is all of a sudden the Immigration is starting to do what it is supposed to do.

How long this will last is another question. Here in Chiang Mai they have been going out to homes for visits. I suspect they are wanting to make sure the people in a married Visa really are married or just hiring some one for the time it takes to get the permission to stay. I fail to see why any one would complain if they are being honest.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the borders are closed as reported then I guess this will affect the Cambodians.

How many people used to travel by bus / coach to Siem Reap every day ?

How long before Cambodia start making noises about this ?

From what I've heard it's a relatively common thing to get the bus down to Cambodia to see the sights for a few days during a holiday and then return to Thailand.

I wonder what's happening to people who went for a few days Tuesday- Thursday last week before this started ? Are they now stranded in Cambodia or is the border open for entries from the Cambodian side ?

whistling.gif The Thai police have issued (yesterday) a new arrest warrant for a non-European foreigner who they suspect was possibly one of the "masterminds" in the bombing.

They suspect he is in Cambodia, and he is going to try to return to Thailand by crossing a land border with a new, quite possibly fake or forged Thai visa.

That's what all the commotion is about, and why things are so disrupted right now.

I suspect, one way or the other, this will all be sorted out soon.

As that British WWII poster said." Keep Calm And Carry On".

any reference to this in the media?

3 months is more than enough to see Thailand maybe 6 months max. I firmly believe that anyone who has back to back tourist visas longer than 12 months (4 entries/visa runs) is not a tourist. People get your shit together and get the correct visa.

I totally agree with that and other posts with similar content.

In fact everyone who does this visa run crap is mis-using the Thai visa system as you're not a tourist.

I know many of you don't want to hear this but it's the truth. If you can't comply with the laws in this country go somewhere else... [emoji36]

3 months is more than enough to see Thailand maybe 6 months max. I firmly believe that anyone who has back to back tourist visas longer than 12 months (4 entries/visa runs) is not a tourist. People get your shit together and get the correct visa.

In fact everyone who does this visa run crap is mis-using the Thai visa system as you're not a tourist.

I know many of you don't want to hear this but it's the truth. If you can't comply with the laws in this country go somewhere else... [emoji36]

Not everyone! Someone from a qualifying nation that exists/enters every 30 days is complying with the law. Only people that enter on TR's or visa exemption and work or carry out other illegal activities are mis-using the system.

There is no limit on time for how long someone can be a tourist. If there was then Thailand would limit the number of tourist visas and tourist visa exempt entries.

It is 100% legal and acceptable under Thailand's own rules for someone to live in Thailand for any period of stay granted to them by whatever visa they entered with.

That's fine.

Just stop all construction work (cambodians, viet)

Just close most restaurants & hotels (Chinese chefs, philipinos and myanmar serving food and cleaning rooms all illegal)

Just forget about talking English (English teacher teaching in schools without work permit)

Most ONG, charities, animal rescue can close down.

And forget about getting a nanny or a maid.

And as all these people have left you can also save money and jobs at immigration office, and Foreign consulates can repatriate most of their staff

But don't worry you will still have bar girls, they are still mostly Thai.

Confused! I have friends coming over, they wont have a visa as not needed 30 day. We plan to bike ride to and from Cambodia. Is this now a problem?

No. You are going into Cambodia for a period of time.

PS. The Thai Embassy in Vientiene won't be able to cope. Last time I was there 700 people waiting for hours. Just those 2 little service windows, and despite taking in millions of baht every day no attempt to improve things, or even put a battery in the clock, or fix the lock on the toilet door.

The current establishment makes Cambodia look like a better option. Live in Cambodia and enjoy Thailand from a safe distance. It is just the elites in Thailand that ruin the place.

Close the door on your way out. One less 'elite' chip on someones shoulder is one less UDD terrorist supporter.

Oh, you didn't go. What a surprise.

That's fine.

Just close most restaurants & hotels (Chinese chefs, philipinos and myanmar serving food and cleaning rooms all illegal)

Just forget about talking English (English teacher teaching in schools without work permit)

And as all these people have left you can also save money and jobs at immigration office, and Foreign consulates can repatriate most of their staff

Or come up with a more efficient method to document all these workers so they don't have to risk deportation by being employed here illegally.

That's fine.

Or come up with a more efficient method to document all these workers so they don't have to risk deportation by being employed here illegally.

LOL

Has it not occurred to you that if they wanted to employ legally all these people that would cost them more?

How do you think prices are kept so low for you to enjoy the place?

That's fine.

What are you talking about?

Can't compare the visa situation of people from neighbouring countries to farang. I guess you better do some research before posting such nonsense.

And if you want to know, I never care about any bar girls but obviously you do...

That's fine.

What are you talking about?

Can't compare the visa situation of people from neighbouring countries to farang. I guess you better do some research before posting such nonsense.

Why not ?

They are all doing visa run.

How are they different from Farangs?

He is not referring to tourists. He is referring to the loads of people abusing the system and working illegally in Thailand or trying to live here for extended periods without valid long stay visas (i.e. retirement visas, marriage visas, work permits).

1. i'm in my 40s so no retirement visa available

2. i don't need to work. i'm self-sufficient and if i ever were to work again it would be in the west (ie. western salary) and not thailand.

3. i'm not interested to engage with/marry a thai woman

so according to you people like me have no right to stay longterm in this country? i speak the language better than most clowns who married here or "work" here, i have genuine friends here (and not a bunch of parasites eating my cash). i've never been illegal in the country, i do things by the book (although i have been offered all kinds of solutions by the always friendly $mm$gration p€ople), but i deliberately am a longterm tourist which seems to annoy a certain type of people on TVF. is it jealousy? or plain bitterness... please enlight me. cheers.

A tourist is a tourist. Travels on a long or extented holiday. Doesnt usually get married. Work under the table, have kids. rent or buy condos or houses......And complain that the laws here suck. I have been here almost 25 years. Have never had the wrong visa.Visa abusers are illegal immigrants. Many of whom have F#@$d it up for people who are legal.

He is not referring to tourists. He is referring to the loads of people abusing the system and working illegally in Thailand or trying to live here for extended periods without valid long stay visas (i.e. retirement visas, marriage visas, work permits).

1. i'm in my 40s so no retirement visa available

2. i don't need to work. i'm self-sufficient and if i ever were to work again it would be in the west (ie. western salary) and not thailand.

3. i'm not interested to engage with/marry a thai woman

so according to you people like me have no right to stay longterm in this country? i speak the language better than most clowns who married here or "work" here, i have genuine friends here (and not a bunch of parasites eating my cash). i've never been illegal in the country, i do things by the book (although i have been offered all kinds of solutions by the always friendly $mm$gration p€ople), but i deliberately am a longterm tourist which seems to annoy a certain type of people on TVF. is it jealousy? or plain bitterness... please enlight me. cheers.

According to people here, you are a lazy parasite who should go back to your country to contribute paying their pension.

That's fine.

LOL

Has it not occurred to you that if they wanted to employ legally all these people that would cost them more?

How do you think prices are kept so low for you to enjoy the place?

Who is "they"? The employers? Safety should trump a good time at a low cost. There may be a bit of an adjustment period, but no reason not to put a little burden on employers and employees, as well as on tourists to plan ahead by booking hotels and return travel.

Who is "they"? The employers? Safety should trump a good time at a low cost. There may be a bit of an adjustment period, but no reason not to put a little burden on employers and employees, as well as on tourists to plan ahead by booking hotels and return travel.

Like in ANY country in the world, Thai companies exploit cheaper illegal labor to cut costs.

And here more than anywhere. And thats not going to stop anytime soon

Like in ANY country in the world, Thai companies exploit cheaper illegal labor to cut costs.

And here more than anywhere. And thats not going to stop anytime soon

Probably not. Doesn't mean it shouldn't, which is what my initial point was.

Archived