BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Bomber blame game sees Thailand immigration abruptly change visa rules

Bomber Blame Game Sees Thailand Immigration Abruptly Change Visa Rules
By Editors @ AEC News Today

BANGKOK: -- Foreign workers and tourists who use the country’s visa exempt entry provisions are the unwitting victims in a high-stakes blame game being played out in the wake of the Erawan shrine bombing on August 17.

On Saturday morning Thailand border crossings along the Cambodia border, along with the Phu Nam Ron/ Htee Khee border crossing at Kanchanaburi crossing into Myanmar abruptly stopped allowing people to enter Thailand using the visa exempt entry method with some reportedly also not allowing people to depart and return (out-in border hop) to activate second- or multiple-entry visas of any class.

Thailand has six land crossing with Cambodia – Ban Pakard/ Phsa Prum, Ban Laem/ Daun Lem, Chong Sa Ngam/ Anlong Veng, Chong Jom/ O Smach, Hat Lek/ Ko Kong and Aranyaprathet/ Poipet – and all are said to be affected, with local variations as to who can enter and who can not.

The instructions are said to have been issued from “someone high up in the immigration department” according to one visa service company operator who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the need to work with Thailand immigration officials on a daily basis.

According to the visa service operator the affected Thailand-Cambodia and Thailand-Myanmar border crossing received the instructions by telephone late Friday afternoon.

Full story: http://aecnewstoday.com/2015/bomber-blame-game-sees-thailand-immigration-abruptly-change-visa-rules/

-- AEC NEWS TODAY 2015-09-14

RELATED: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

Nice work. Shutting the barn door after the horse has already bolted again, I wonder what TV series immigration can watch to help them do a better job......... I'm guessing Faulty towers is how they originally studied for the job.

What upsets me is that the Thai current government are making the country look farcical. They are implementing knee jerk reactions without thinking things through. The ill thought move will only have a negative impact on the country when right now it needs a massive boost. I do wonder if they will ever learn.

How about getting to the root of the problem - corruption. Those officers who facilitated the bombers' entry should be in the monkey house.

" the affected Thailand-Cambodia and Thailand-Myanmar border crossing received the instructions by telephone late Friday afternoon."

"and all are said to be affected, with local variations as to who can enter and who can not."

Ever heard of email? It makes for clear and explicit instructions.

Nice work. Shutting the barn door after the horse has already bolted again, I wonder what TV series immigration can watch to help them do a better job......... I'm guessing Faulty towers is how they originally studied for the job.

Basil was far more organized, calm and considered than anyone in the Police, Military, Government or Immigration.

Lke I've said for many years now. Thais are their own worst enemy always blaming the foreigner for their inability to perform government functions at any level. How does closing the border in this manner help? Ir only plays into the hands of the terrorists who want to inflict economic damadge

" the affected Thailand-Cambodia and Thailand-Myanmar border crossing received the instructions by telephone late Friday afternoon."

"and all are said to be affected, with local variations as to who can enter and who can not."

To read and understand an email requires the recipient to:

1. Have access to a computer that is connected to the Internet

2. Be able to switch on that computer

3. Know which software can receive emails and be able to start that software

4. Have reading abilities advanced enough to understand the contents of the email

I wouldn't be to sure that any of these requirements are present with the staff of all the border crossings.

10 years ago there used to be 5 or 6 visa run bus companies most operating 2 services daily to Aran/poipet.

The last time i looked at the BKK Post there was only one left and only doing a daily service .

This latest knee jerk -blame someone else - puts tourists in an impossible situation. You may or may not be able to enter the country by land.

What do they do?

As ive said before, Thailand doesnt want us here. There is a big sign in English as a backdrop on one of the Thai TV stations news rooms.

OUR COUNTRY .... go home foreigner ! lol

Dont invest big money here.

4. Have reading abilities advanced enough to understand the contents of the email

I wouldn't be to sure that any of these requirements are present with the staff of all the border crossings.

You forgot that the sender needs to have access to the same technology and abilities. If you send an email from Yahoo with too many recipients, you get flagged as a spammer. This must frustrate so many people in the Thai bureaucracy as none seem to have official email addresses. Must be part of that elusive Thainess we keep being told about.

On the other hand, any 2 year old (even Thai) can use Line.

What upsets me is that the Thai current government are making the country look farcical. They are implementing knee jerk reactions without thinking things through. The ill thought move will only have a negative impact on the country when right now it needs a massive boost. I do wonder if they will ever learn.

When many people here, and more so the authorities, lack the basic skills of constructive thinking, these are the results.

yes sure Sexpat Hans from Germany is the next bomber, so we need him to stop going out at the Cambodian border blink.png

You forgot that the sender needs to have access to the same technology and abilities. If you send an email from Yahoo with too many recipients, you get flagged as a spammer. This must frustrate so many people in the Thai bureaucracy as none seem to have official email addresses. Must be part of that elusive Thainess we keep being told about.

They never heard of Wordpress either I guess. A 9 year old can use it to create & edit a website with about 90 minutes' worth of training.