Bomber blame game sees Thailand immigration abruptly change visa rules

webfact

Such as ? They are issued free, if immigration wanted to screw people financially as everyone seems fixated on calling scam etc, they would do away with visa waiver and make everyone buy a visa wink.png

Except, unless I'm mistaken, the money that's paid for visas mostly would be going to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as official revenue (not to Immigration as backhanders), whereas the alleged scams at the airport involving unauthorized fees for Visa On Arrivals are presumably going straight into the personal pockets of Immigration folks.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What upsets me is that the Thai current government are making the country look farcical. They are implementing knee jerk reactions without thinking things through. The ill thought move will only have a negative impact on the country when right now it needs a massive boost. I do wonder if they will ever learn.

When has anything in Thailand ever involved rationally thinking things through?

is it also not possible with a non-Immigrant O or B visa to do the 90 -day border run ?

If you have a Non B, you only have to report every 90 days if you are still in the country. If you are out on business / leisure before 90 days occurs, you will never have to report at all.

Not sure on the O visa though.

No if your on an extension of stay you report every 90 days which is not a B visa someone with only a B visa will be required to visa run every 90 days

Wrong. If you have a Non B, you don't have to do visa runs.

The rules nowadays is you need to report every 90 days if staying in the country. Last century this rule didnt exist.

If going out of the country before the 90 days is no problem as long as you have a Re-Entry Permit when you come back in, so your visa isn't cancelled.

No problems in 20+ years

What upsets me is that the Thai current government are making the country look farcical. They are implementing knee jerk reactions without thinking things through. The ill thought move will only have a negative impact on the country when right now it needs a massive boost. I do wonder if they will ever learn.

Laughable in the very essence of how not to! I want to say so much more but sadly free speech is also not on the Thai agenda...

is it also not possible with a non-Immigrant O or B visa to do the 90 -day border run ?

If you have a Non B, you only have to report every 90 days if you are still in the country. If you are out on business / leisure before 90 days occurs, you will never have to report at all.

No if your on an extension of stay you report every 90 days which is not a B visa someone with only a B visa will be required to visa run every 90 days

Not wrong.

Non 'B' VISA and you need to exit every 90 days (visa run)

Non 'B' used for an EXTENSION OF STAY and you need to report every 90 days OR exit/enter every 90 days (visa run).

Such as ? They are issued free, if immigration wanted to screw people financially as everyone seems fixated on calling scam etc, they would do away with visa waiver and make everyone buy a visa wink.png

Except, unless I'm mistaken, the money that's paid for visas mostly would be going to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as official revenue (not to Immigration as backhanders), whereas the alleged scams at the airport involving unauthorized fees for Visa On Arrivals are presumably going straight into the personal pockets of Immigration folks.

But the discussion is not about VOA and one suspects this doesn't affect the vast majority of people anyway, the discussion is visa waivers not the same thing, so the question stands what are immigration getting out of visa waivers given they are issued free ?

The rules nowadays is you need to report every 90 days if staying in the country. Last century this rule didnt exist.

If going out of the country before the 90 days is no problem as long as you have a Re-Entry Permit when you come back in, so your visa isn't cancelled.

No problems in 20+ years

You are mixing up two things;

1 the B visa you get from a consulate abroad. It allows you to stay 1 time no more than 90 days in case of a single entry visa, and multiple entries, of which any can't be longer than 90 days in case of a multiple entry. A re entry permit can be purchased in case one had a single entry visa and would like to go out and back in all within the original 90 day visit. In any case, there is no way to be in the country longer than 90 days on a B visa. A border hop is necessary in case one has a multiple entry visa.

2 for reasons of employment (most likely when entered on a B visa) one can apply for an extension of stay. This is NOT a visa, it is also NOT an extension of your visa. This you get from an immigration office within Thailand. If the extension is for longer than 90 days, and one exceeds his stay within Thailand of 90 days, one needs to report to immigration for an address check.

No problems in 20+ years

I suggest you look up the difference between an extension of stay for working and a B visa, typically if a B visa is acquired regionally is normally a single entry good only for 90 days and if one has a multiple B entry visa you must leave the country every 90 days

Your confusing visas and extension of stay two different things only persons on an extension of stay report every 90 days in country by all means ask this question in the visa section

Not wrong.

Non 'B' VISA and you need to exit very 90 days (visa run)

Non 'B' used for an EXTENSION OF STAY and you need to report every 90 days OR exit/enter every 90 days (visa run).

Thank you

Tourists must be searching for new reasons to be here at all.

That's why I left and most likely won't be coming back for any extended stay at least. I feel sick when I contribute money to their economy and their tourism bottom dollar when these idiotic, abhorrent offenses to tourists and thai people continue to happen unabated. The only thing they understand is money. So I choose not to contribute.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the bombing. It targets visa runners and people with visa exempt entry.

There is no indication the bombers were ever visa runners nor would they hold visa exempt entry with turkish passports.

Therefore these new laws have nothing at all to do with stopping terrorists or criminals - who typically enter throught the front door.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the bombing. It targets visa runners and people with visa exempt entry.

There is no indication the bombers were ever visa runners nor would they hold visa exempt entry with turkish passports.

Therefore these new laws have nothing at all to do with stopping terrorists or criminals - who typically enter throught the front door.

It is 100% connected to the bombing.

Immigration is under the spotlight and they are targeting visa exempt entry because it's an easy target in the hope that it fools a few people in to believing they are taking positive action.

How about getting to the root of the problem - corruption. Those officers who facilitated the bombers' entry should be in the monkey house.

Put all the officials on the take in the monkey house and the country would collapse,you have to which I know is difficult, accept the fact that thieving , stealing, bribing, corruption is accepted by most Thais as an honorable way of making a living.

Seems to me that most of the so called self processed hi sos are just a bunch of semi clever thieves.

Still love it here but one has to try and dissacociate oneself from certain aspects of how the country works to feel comfortable, difficult yes, God do I know.

Laughable in the very essence of how not to! I want to say so much more but sadly free speech is also not on the Thai agenda...

free, free,, did somebody say free ?

a Thai person doing the job they were hired to do with out having there hand out or expecting a brown envelope. oh wishfull thinking. my bad, will never happen. why would some one do there job, when they can accept bribes and brown envelopes.

the dog and pony show just keeps going on.

Sorry to be so dull, fellow TV readers but do we have any reports of what is actually happening at the borders rather than just moan about the government?

Why dont you take a bus to the border and find out yourself ?

You can read the reports from people on other threads relating to the same if youve a mind to make a bit of effort. wai2.gif

It is 100% connected to the bombing.

Immigration is under the spotlight and they are targeting visa exempt entry because it's an easy target in the hope that it fools a few people in to believing they are taking positive action.

The problem with the government, police, and every organization or committee in Thailand, is that they are "reactive" rather than "proactive"

If you want to be successful in stopping terrorism, for example, you must proactively work a plan to stop terrorism before it happens

If you want to stop corruption, you must do things to prevent it from happening before it happens.

This is not about tourists, but about Iong stayers that do not have the proper visas. Regardless of the incident it is something thT would come sooner or later

I'm pretty sure we have read different postings. This is about corrupt people calling out other corrupt people and then retaliation from those shamed. I hope this can snowball for awhile as it may lead to something beneficial for Thailand.

Yawn yawn yawn for doing there job they get slated. For not doing there job they get slated. For trying to stop another bombing they get slated. If there was (god forbid)another bombing they would get slated. Slated by whom!!!people who are guest in there country. As stated on here so many times stay legal no problems. Stop the whining and bitch slapping its not your country just sit back and enjoy or LEAVE IMHO of course

Except for the moderators on this site under the Visa Forum, people would be ill advised to listen to the conflicting recommendations about what to do. Go to an immigration office and make sure you speak Thai or have someone with you who speaks Thai.

Better still... Go to the Thai Immigration website and download the actual rules, regulations and laws published by Tilleke & Gibbens in English on the Government website. You will then know exactly what the law states as some of the newer officers are not familiar with every rule.

Ever heard of an Intranet?

Gawd, don't confuse them. I've often wondered if the average Thai would think that there are computer systems that are not a part of the internet as most people know it. Even the most technology illiterate of my friends has at the very least a vague concept that not everything in every walk of life is done on Internet Explorer or Chrome or Firefox (the latter two for those with family members who have heard something about not using the browser that comes with Windows, although Android seems to be bringing up it's own generation of people who simply use the icon called Internet or Browser on their tablet or phone).

I'm just happy to have noticed earlier in this thread that I'm not the only one who thinks it a bit odd that high ranking members of various government agencies, but particularly an agency as important as law enforcement, have hotmail addresses and can't understand why that isn't a good idea. It really beggars belief.

Nice work. Shutting the barn door after the horse has already bolted again, I wonder what TV series immigration can watch to help them do a better job......... I'm guessing Faulty towers is how they originally studied for the job.

I'm going to one-up that by wondering what kind of TV series immigration could make. You know like these programs that seem to be all the go at the moment, Border Security Patrol, Motorway Cops Patrol, 24 Hours in A&E, all good mindless, non-offensive, non-challenging programs that are perfectly good to have on in the lounge room as background noise whist all family members present pretend not to be engrossed in whatever they are looking at on their own smaller screen, you know, things you can 'watch' and everybody can make a comment now and again about something happening on the larger screen without losing their place on the smaller screen and everybody else can agree and even say a few words without being hugely interrupted or distracted from what they are really doing, all of it giving the overall appearance of a family actually spending time together watching something nice on the telly and not shut up away in their own corner or bedroom being anti social.

Anyway, one of those type of programs, which I've seen come out of UK, Ireland, Australia and NZ quite likely all countries, but I only speak English and I really don't know if this kind of non-action, non-confrontational, unexciting program where voices are never raised would go down well in US. So you probably know the kind I mean by now. Could you imagine it? I mean really, think about it. The ever changing levels of enforcement from blind eye to is that really a rule? The chickenfeed 50 baht some official makes on his one corrupt transaction for the day to the millions or billions of baht at the high levels. The criminals that get away with murder - quite literally - and the people who without even considering their part in it cause huge calamities.

I reckon that would be the most entertaining of these types of TV programs ever.

" the affected Thailand-Cambodia and Thailand-Myanmar border crossing received the instructions by telephone late Friday afternoon."

"and all are said to be affected, with local variations as to who can enter and who can not."

Ever heard of email? It makes for clear and explicit instructions.

To read and understand an email requires the recipient to:

1. Have access to a computer that is connected to the Internet

2. Be able to switch on that computer

3. Know which software can receive emails and be able to start that software

4. Have reading abilities advanced enough to understand the contents of the email

I wouldn't be to sure that any of these requirements are present with the staff of all the border crossings.

You forgot that the sender needs to have access to the same technology and abilities. If you send an email from Yahoo with too many recipients, you get flagged as a spammer. This must frustrate so many people in the Thai bureaucracy as none seem to have official email addresses. Must be part of that elusive Thainess we keep being told about.

A bit off topic, but my ex-gf works in a Thai bank, and back in 2011 they already done everything by email and online.

It was a secured netwrok with password access, and she used to go over her emails, read files, etc almost everyday from home.

So I guess that this "technology" and "ability" does exist in private organizations, perhaps the problem is the government's lack of training, initiative and funding for IT.

10 years ago there used to be 5 or 6 visa run bus companies most operating 2 services daily to Aran/poipet.

The last time i looked at the BKK Post there was only one left and only doing a daily service .

This latest knee jerk -blame someone else - puts tourists in an impossible situation. You may or may not be able to enter the country by land.

What do they do?

As ive said before, Thailand doesnt want us here. There is a big sign in English as a backdrop on one of the Thai TV stations news rooms.

OUR COUNTRY .... go home foreigner ! lol

Dont invest big money here.

Your exactly right, We are here for their amusement only. Only invest what your prepared to loose... And you will be fine...And satisfy yourself.

But the discussion is not about VOA and one suspects this doesn't affect the vast majority of people anyway, the discussion is visa waivers not the same thing, so the question stands what are immigration getting out of visa waivers given they are issued free ?

You raised the point above in your comment, why doesn't Immigration just require everyone to get visas.

And my answer was, because they don't get PAID for visas (MFA does), whereas they do get paid at the airports for VOA, which is part of the discussion because that VOA scam at the airports was one of the chief corruption allegations raised by the national police chief against the Immigration staff.

BTW, there have been some reports here of Immigration staff at some land borders indeed extracting payments for people to come in on visa exempt entries... One person mentioned everyone being expected to have 200 baht folded into their passports.

How about getting to the root of the problem - corruption. Those officers who facilitated the bombers' entry should be in the monkey house.

You're right. but sadly the first part needs to be eradicated for the second part to take effect, and as we know, corruption starts are the very top.

Archived