Non-immigrant OA - Confused about dates and extention....

I can't seem to wrap my head around this.

Basically, my wife and I want to spend 6 months every year in Thailand (from October 1st until March 31st). I am in the process of obtaining a non-immigrant OA visa from the Thai embassy. This would give us the possibility to stay 6 months in Thailand without having to leave Thailand every 90 days.

But I am not so sure what is goig to happen next year... Lets say that I will obtain a visa on the 20th of september 2015. This would mean that I will have to return to Thailand before the same date in 2016. from then I'll have 90 days to go to immigration to ask for an extention.

Will the new permission to stay in Thailand also start and end on September 20? Or will the extension (and all consequent extensions) have a new "anniversary date".

Also, I understand that this non-immigrant OA visa is a multiple entry visa (unlimited 'ins' and 'outs'; no re-entry permits needed), but once it is extended in 2016, will I have to go to immigration and ask for a re-entry each time I want to leave Thailand?

Finally, will I get an extention if I don't have a rental agreement for a room/condo/house? We plan to travel a lot wthin Thailand during our first winters. I don't want to stay at the same place for 6 months (and a contract for one year is out of the question as we will only be 6 months in Thailand). Will a reservation for a serviced apartment for the first month be enough?

If an O/A visa is (using your dates) is obtained on 20 Sept 2015 it will provide a one year entry from the date of entry to the country.

During this year you may travel freely and on each re- entry to Thailand a new one year permission to stay will be provided.

You would need to return to Thailand immediately prior to 18-19/Sept 2016 . On arrival the immigration officer will give you a one year permission to stay ! This second year obtained from the now expired visa requires that you to obtain a re-entry permit if travel is to be undertaken. A multiple entry - re -entry permit costs 3800 Bht .

An application for an extension of stay does not need to be made until Aug/Sept 2017.

Once obtained an extension of stay expires on the same date every year.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

If the Non 'O-A' was issued on the 20/9/2015 it would have an enter before date (expiry date) of the 19/9/2016. They are good for 12 months from the issue date.

• You can enter and exit as often as you want, using the multi entries, before 19/9/2016.

Every time you enter you will be given a 12 month stay. So if you entered on the 1/10/2015 you would be given12 months meaning you can stay until 31/9/2016. But the visa expires on the 19/9/2016 so to fully utilise the visa you need to enter as close to the 18/9/2016 and will be given another 12 month stay allowing you to say until 17/9/2017.

• You can still exit/enter as often as you like during this second year but you would need a re-entry permit each time.

When getting near the end of the 2 years (17/9/2017) you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay (only in Thailand). This can be renewed every year thereafter. During these annual extension you can also come and go as often as you want with a re-entry permit.

Alternatively you can pass on the extension and get a new 'O-A' and start the cycle again.

You don't need a rental agreement for an extension. They will just want confirmation from the owner/house-master where you are staying. Nothing to worry about.

So with some planning you can get the best part of 2 years from the 'O-A' before needing an extension or applying for a new visa.

Edited by elviajero

Thanks for your answers. Things are a lot clearer now.

But unfortunately this doesn't solve our problems.

It is (and it will also be in the near future) nearly impossible for us to leave Europe before the 1st of October... So if obtaining a non-immigrant OA in September (before leaving on the 1st of October 2015) forces us to re-enter Thailand late September 2016 (before the first anniversary of the issuance of the visa) and around the 10th-15th September 2017 (to apply for an extension in 2017) I think it is not the right visa for us.

So we are stuck with a multiple entry tourist visa?

It is (and it will also be in the near future) nearly impossible for us to leave Europe before the 1st of October... So if obtaining a non-immigrant OA in September (before leaving on the 1st of October 2015) forces us to re-enter Thailand late September 2016 (before the first anniversary of the issuance of the visa) and around the 10th-15th September 2017 (to apply for an extension in 2017) I think it is not the right visa for us.

An easy solution!

Obtain the the visa at a later date !

Problem solved smile.png

An easy solution!

Problem solved smile.png

Yes, but then I will be spending 3-4 weeks less in Thailand sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

An easy solution!

Problem solved smile.png

Yes, but then I will be spending 3-4 weeks less in Thailand sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Maybe but only for one year !

Work on the dates and then speak to the Embassy and ask if they will issue the visa on a date specified by you.

It's going to be impossible to exit/enter exactly on 1st October and 31st March. But if you work the dates out and get the visa issued as close to your departure date as you can you shouldn't lose more than a couple of weeks.

You might have issues with a tourist visa and will probably need a triple entry which is not available from all countries. What country will you be applying in.

I will be applying in Belgium.

They discouraged me to apply for a OA, but advised me to apply for a triple entry (if a had 2 hotel reservations).

Might be the best thing to do....

Interesting!

I wonder why they would discourage an application for an O/A visa ? ( A rhetorical question!)

The decision, of course, is yours to make but whatever you decide enjoy your time in Thailandsmile.png

I will be applying in Belgium.

They discouraged me to apply for a OA, but advised me to apply for a triple entry (if a had 2 hotel reservations).

Might be the best thing to do....

A triple will work as long as it's valid for 6 months.

Each entry gives you 60 days. Any of the entries can be extended by 30 days so if you need more time at the end of your trip you could extend the last entry.

I spend 8 months in Thailand and 4 months in the US every year, so I only obtain O-A Multiples which allows me two "seasons" in Thailand

The OP appears to me to be in the same situation the only difference is the 4 months versus 6 months

I come to Thailand in October every year and leave in June, so I apply and obtain my O-A Visa as close to my departure date as is possible and convenient so that it is easy to obtain the second year of validity by entering the Kingdom just before the Visa expires, and obtain the additional year "permission to stay"

For instance: My last O-A was issued by the New York Consulate on 8 Oct 2014, with an Enter before date of 7 Oct 2015. My passport was stamped with "admitted until" date of 16 Oct 2015 since I entered the Thailand on 17 Oct 2014. I left Thailand on 1 Jun 2015. When I come back next month as long as I arrive before or on the 7th of October 2015 I will obtain another "admitted until" date of 6 or 7th of Oct 2016, depending upon the exact date of my second entry

So the only difficult thing to do is time your entries to maximize the validity of your visa but with a little planning and watching the calendar you won't have to make any border runs (like you would with multiple tourist visas or "O" visas) only your 90 day reports to your local Immigration office when you are in the Kingdom for over 90 continuous days

An O-A may not be the way to go for everyone but is the perfect solution for anyone that only spends part of the year in Thailand annually

• Like 2

I just got off the phone with KCI and was told no problem at the Choeng Chom border crossing. Private cars and bikes are crossing along with commercial vehicles. Only passport holders are allowed , no id cards. You can call Kap Choeng Immigration at 044559127

Hi khwaibah can you please explain this to me I am totally confused.......as I was planning to go to Choeng Chom border in the near future.....

Thanks for the great consistent Info.

Regards,

Cabra

Permitted Stay – Upon entry into Thailand at either an airport or a land border with either a Single Entry or Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa, you will receive a stamp admitting you for one year from the date of entry. If you have a multiple entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa, you can leave Thailand and return anytime during the validity period of the Visa (the expiration date will be shown on the Visa). During the validity period of the O-A Visa, each time you re-enter Thailand, you will receive another one year stay. See the CAUTION below about when Re-Entry Permits are required

UTION: If you enter Thailand on a Single Entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa, you will need to obtain a “Re-Entry Permit” from Thai Immigration if you plan to leave Thailand – See the section on Re-Entry permits. Likewise, if you have a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa and you plan to leave but will not re-enter Thailand before the expiration date shown on the Visa, but before your current permission to stay until date, you will need to obtain a Re-Entry permit before you depart. If you reenter Thailand after the expiration date shown on the visa without getting the extension and re-entry permit, you will find that the O-A visa is no longer valid and you will be admitted for the number of days permitted for those entering as Visa Exempt.

As long as you do an entry on or before the enter before date on your visa you will get a new one year entry. After the enter before date you will need a re-entry permit to keep your last one year entry valid if you want to travel.

Forget the part about a single entry visa I am sure you have a multiple entry visa because it has many years since they stopped doing single entry visas.

I just got off the phone with KCI and was told no problem at the Choeng Chom border crossing. Private cars and bikes are crossing along with commercial vehicles. Only passport holders are allowed , no id cards. You can call Kap Choeng Immigration at 044559127

Hi khwaibah can you please explain this to me I am totally confused.......as I was planning to go to Choeng Chom border in the near future.....

Thanks for the great consistent Info.

Regards,

Cabra

Permitted Stay – Upon entry into Thailand at either an airport or a land border with either a Single Entry or Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa, you will receive a stamp admitting you for one year from the date of entry. If you have a multiple entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa, you can leave Thailand and return anytime during the validity period of the Visa (the expiration date will be shown on the Visa). During the validity period of the O-A Visa, each time you re-enter Thailand, you will receive another one year stay. See the CAUTION below about when Re-Entry Permits are required

UTION: If you enter Thailand on a Single Entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa, you will need to obtain a “Re-Entry Permit” from Thai Immigration if you plan to leave Thailand – See the section on Re-Entry permits. Likewise, if you have a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa and you plan to leave but will not re-enter Thailand before the expiration date shown on the Visa, but before your current permission to stay until date, you will need to obtain a Re-Entry permit before you depart. If you reenter Thailand after the expiration date shown on the visa without getting the extension and re-entry permit, you will find that the O-A visa is no longer valid and you will be admitted for the number of days permitted for those entering as Visa Exempt.

This the information I needed!

Is this schedule possible:

Validity of the Non-immigrant OA visa : 25th of September 2015 until 24th of September 2016.

I enter Thailand on the 1st of October 2015.

I leave Thaiand somewhere in January 2016 come back to Thailand a few days later, lets say the 20th of January 2016. I get a permission to stay until the 19th of January 2017.

I go to Immigration in March 2016 and ask for a re-entry permit (because I know I will re-enter Thailand on the 1st of October 2016, past the validity date of my visa).

I come back to on October 1st 2016 Thailand on my re-entry permit!

Question: Is this correct? And before which date do I have to apply for an "extension of stay" in 2017?

Is this schedule possible:

Validity of the Non-immigrant OA visa : 25th of September 2015 until 24th of September 2016.

I enter Thailand on the 1st of October 2015.

I leave Thaiand somewhere in January 2016 come back to Thailand a few days later, lets say the 20th of January 2016. I get a permission to stay until the 19th of January 2017.

I go to Immigration in March 2016 and ask for a re-entry permit (because I know I will re-enter Thailand on the 1st of October 2016, past the validity date of my visa).

I come back to on October 1st 2016 Thailand on my re-entry permit!

Question: Is this correct? And before which date do I have to apply for an "extension of stay" in 2017?

Yes.

Entering on the 20th Jan 2016 means your permission to stay is good until 19th Jan 2017 so you can apply for an extension of stay up to 30 days before that date.

• 3 months later...
I would be most grateful for some clarification regarding my situation here in Thailand and my options in both the short term and the long term. I must confess to being a tad confused.

Short term issues: I arrived 17th October on a triple entry TV. I went to Chomtien IO in december and got a 30 day extension and changed my initial first departure date of the 17th December to Jan 14th.

Question: do I have to do a visa run or is there an alternative? eg - can I get another extension from within Thailand? Can I pay an agent to do the run for me? Can I convert my tourist visa to another kind of visa? I am 62 and have sufficient funds, currently in the UK to get a retirement visa for example. So my overall question is, to reiterate: is there any way out of the visa run? If I do have to do a visa run is Laos the best alternative - I have never been there so would not mind a visit.

Long term issues. I was surprised to be told that I could get some kind of one year visa/extension from within thailand- is this correct?

I was also surprised to hear I could organise a retirement visa from here in Thailand? Is this true?

Finally - are these visa agencies that charge around 500 pounds worth it? Do they do the job?

Thanks in advance for any advice and happy christmas and a peaceful new year to you all.

I would be most grateful for some clarification regarding my situation here in Thailand and my options in both the short term and the long term. I must confess to being a tad confused.
Short term issues: I arrived 17th October on a triple entry TV. I went to Chomtien IO in december and got a 30 day extension and changed my initial first departure date of the 17th December to Jan 14th.
Question: do I have to do a visa run or is there an alternative? eg - can I get another extension from within Thailand? Can I pay an agent to do the run for me? Can I convert my tourist visa to another kind of visa? I am 62 and have sufficient funds, currently in the UK to get a retirement visa for example. So my overall question is, to reiterate: is there any way out of the visa run? If I do have to do a visa run is Laos the best alternative - I have never been there so would not mind a visit.
Long term issues. I was surprised to be told that I could get some kind of one year visa/extension from within thailand- is this correct?
I was also surprised to hear I could organise a retirement visa from here in Thailand? Is this true?
Finally - are these visa agencies that charge around 500 pounds worth it? Do they do the job?
Thanks in advance for any advice and happy christmas and a peaceful new year to you all.

You could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Jomtien immigration that would allow you to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

You could do the change now if you have the financial proof since you now have more the 15 days remaining on current permit to stay. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k by a income letter from the UK embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Once you get the 90 entry you could apply for the extension during the last 30 days of that entry. The 800k baht would need to be in the bank for 60 days at that time to apply.

If you cannot meet the financial requirements by the 30th you could do a border run to Cambodia to use the next entry of your visa on or before January 14th.. You would just need to cross the border, turnaround and come right back to use the 2nd entry.

Then you could apply for the change of visa status at any time during the 60 day entry up to the last 15 days of it.

No need to pay an agent. You can do it yourself.

Thanks for your swift reply UJ - can you explain the reference to 30th when you say 'If you cannot meet the financial requirements by the 30th you could do a border run to Cambodia' What 30th - day or 30th as in a date? and you refer to Cambodia for a 'turnaround' visa any reason Cambodia and not another country?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for your swift reply UJ - can you explain the reference to 30th when you say 'If you cannot meet the financial requirements by the 30th you could do a border run to Cambodia' What 30th - day or 30th as in a date? and you refer to Cambodia for a 'turnaround' visa any reason Cambodia and not another country?

Thanks in advance

I mentioned the 30th of this month because that would be the last day you could apply for the change of visa status since immigration will be closed until the 4th after the 30th... The 4th of January would be to late since you would have less than 15 days remaining.

Cambodia is the closest crossing to Pattaya. You can do it at any crossing or fly out and back on the same day if you want.

Thanks in advance

I mentioned the 30th of this month because that would be the last day you could apply for the change of visa status since immigration will be closed until the 4th after the 30th... The 4th of January would be to late since you would have less than 15 days remaining.

Cambodia is the closest crossing to Pattaya. You can do it at any crossing or fly out and back on the same day if you want.

Thank you for your clear and coherent explanation which is understood and greatly appreciated.

One further point if I may: You say - 'You could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Jomtien immigration that would allow you to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. Could I get a 6 month or 1 year non immigrant visa or is it just a 90 day visa I would be granted?

One further point if I may: You say - 'You could apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Jomtien immigration that would allow you to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. Could I get a 6 month or 1 year non immigrant visa or is it just a 90 day visa I would be granted?

If you apply for a "conversion" you will be given a 90 entry.

There are no other options.

You can only get 90 days that you can then extend for one year based upon retirement during the last 30 days of it.

You can only get 90 days that you can then extend for one year based upon retirement during the last 30 days of it.
What are the requirements to apply for this 90 days Non Imm at thai immigration?

Not for the extension of stay upon retirement

Edited by Crisu