Thai Immigration launches 'new' crackdown on visa runners

webfact

Thai Immigration launches 'new' crackdown on visa runners

vis.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Thaivisa.com understands that Immigration officials at land border crossings will no longer allow foreigners to complete an ‘Out/In’ visa run.

Reports of a ‘crackdown’ on border runners along the Thai/Cambodian border first started surfacing over the weekend when several Thaivisa members posted about not being allowed to re-enter Thailand on visa-exempt entries.

On Monday evening, Thaivisa spoke to an Immigration officer based at Chaeng Wattana who confirmed that renewals of 15/30 day visa exempt entries are not allowed.

The source, who did not want to be named, also said that this apparent ‘crackdown’ is actually nothing new and stressed that foreigners are not permitted to stay in Thailand on renewed 15/30 day visa-exempt entries.

Instead, any foreigner wishing to stay in Thailand beyond 30 days should ensure they have the correct documentation, such as a valid tourist visa, Non-Immigration or extension of stay based on marriage, work, education, retirement etc.

This latest news does not affect those people with valid tourist visas or those who are on multiple entry Non-O, Non-B.

This ‘crackdown’ only applies to those people who stay in Thailand on visa exempt entries, without valid visas, and therefore have to complete a border run every 15 or 30 days.

Thaivisa understands that because Thailand is currently in a state of heightened security following the Bangkok bombings, government officials have informed all Immigration offices and border checkpoints nationwide to carry out rigorous checks on foreigners trying to enter the Kingdom and ensure that all foreigners do so with the correct visa documentation.

Foreigners entering Thailand can also be expected to provide information on where they will be staying in the Kingdom, as well as items such as a valid travel itinerary, if requested to do so by Immigration officials.

RELATED: Thai-Cambo border check points closed to visa runners with immediate effect

RELATED: Bomber blame game sees Thailand immigration abruptly change visa rules

tvn.png
-- 2015-09-15

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Immigration officer based at Chaeng Wattana who confirmed that renewals of 15/30 day visa exempt entries are not allowed.

The source, who did not want to be named, also said that this apparent ‘crackdown’ is actually nothing new and stressed that foreigners are not permitted to stay in Thailand on renewed 15/30 day visa-exempt entries.

Instead, any foreigner wishing to stay in Thailand beyond 30 days should ensure they have the correct documentation, such as a valid tourist visa, Non-Immigration or extension of stay based on marriage, work, education, retirement etc.

This only affects those who go out/in every 15 or 30 days (depending on their nationality).

If you have a valid tourist visa, retirement visa, non-o, non-b etc etc then you are fine.

It's basically Immigration trying to stamp out those who abuse the visa-exempt system.

If you are legit, you have nothing to worry about!

Edit to add - doing out/in border hops on visa exempt every month has always been against the rules. It seems that just now, Immigration are being forced to apply the rules.

If I am correct you can still do an extension of stay once on a 30 day visa exempt entry. Am I right on this?

Yes smile.png At least we are not aware of any changes to this relatively new facility.

1900 Baht.

How much??? No wonder they don't want to give a freebie at the border...

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

Does anyone know anybody who actually does this?

I don't get why anyone would.

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

seems like a no brainer to me

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

ever wondered why so many expats live near the border?

Unless, of course, you're one of the many who don't qualify for a legitimate visa and/or other permission to stay in the country long term (like extension of stay). Those guys have no such option, and either have to do visa runs, risk arrest, or leave the country.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

And then perhaps Thailand will require all tourists from say the UK, to have visas, as the UK requires of them.

That would be reciprocation too.

The options are limited for someone who is under 50 and does not want to pay for an elite visa.

When I first came here, many years ago, and under the age of 50, border runs were just a way of life if you wanted to be here for extended periods of time. Use to hop on the special border runs buses for the trip. Wasn't too expensive, met some very interesting people, and read a book or the news papers. The buses were quite comfortable. It may have been against the law, but it wasn't enforced. I'd mix it up with trips to neighboring countries. Great way to explore this part of the world.

It may seem a no brainer now, but circumstances can change alarmingly and in an instant, legally and/or personally. Pretty much every one of us on here could find ourselves among the 'riff raff' just like that - all it takes is a grumpy official or the (wo)man of your dreams revealing their true nature and that's you screwed.

Judge not lest ye be judged and all that...

what is a renewal of a visa exempt entry?

Can anyone help with the following example;

If a tourist from the UK arrives next week by air using the 3o day visa exempt facility. He has a return flight in 2 weeks to the UK.

A week later he goes by hired motorcycle from thailand to cambodia (the motorcycle is hired here in thailand).

After 3 days in cambodia he rides back. Will he be let back in?

thanks to anyone who can give good advice.

And then perhaps Thailand will require all tourists from say the UK, to have visas, as the UK requires of them.

That would be reciprocation too.

It would, but it wouldn't be smart at all.

People from western countries come to Thailand by hundreds of thousands as tourists and spend money here.

People from Thailand go to western countries to work (if they can), a few go to study, and a few others actually go to travel.

If a tourist from the UK arrives next week by air using the 3o day visa exempt facility. He has a return flight in 2 weeks to the UK.

A week later he goes by hired motorcycle from thailand to cambodia (the motorcycle is hired here in thailand).

The motorcycle is a red herring and only serves to compklicate matters.

We have a tourist who enters Thailand on a VNR basis and then chooses to holiday in Cambodia for 3 days, before returning to Thailand on a VNR basis.

No problem.

It is the in and out so-called 'vis runs' that are being blocked.

When I first came here, many years ago, and under the age of 50, border runs were just a way of life if you wanted to be here for extended periods of time. Use to hop on the special border runs buses for the trip. Wasn't too expensive, met some very interesting people, and read a book or the news papers. The buses were quite comfortable. It may have been against the law, but it wasn't enforced. I'd mix it up with trips to neighboring countries. Great way to explore this part of the world.

I knew several in Chiang Mai that made the Mae Sai hop regularly for years, usually going up on their bikes. This rule has been on the books for quite a while. They cracked down on it in May 2014 not allowing visa runs but due to the effect on schools & tourism the PM requested police to be more flexible in implementing it. In other words, this will most likely blow over. smile.png

don't worry...... everything will revert to what is was before (I would guess and say within the next 5 days)....this is Thailand....knee jerk reactions to anything and everything...no thought...no

brains...then suddenly they realise the mess they have made...

then some Minister or Govt official gets his moment of glory in the media....... retracts the original mouthspout and tells everyone "it was all just a big misunderstanding"

This only affects those who go out/in every 15 or 30 days (depending on their nationality).

If you have a valid tourist visa, retirement visa, non-o, non-b etc etc then you are fine.

It's basically Immigration trying to stamp out those who abuse the visa-exempt system.

If you are legit, you have nothing to worry about!

Edit to add - doing out/in border hops on visa exempt every month has always been against the rules. It seems that just now, Immigration are being forced to apply the rules.

I'm afraid I disagree. Working on visa-exempt stamps is and always has been illegal, but getting a new stamp after leaving the country has only been limited during the few years where the 90/180 rule applied. Previous to that time perpetual visa-exempt border runs were de facto, and hardly noticed. Once in a while an IO might suggest it was time to go home, but with a smile and the stamp was forthcoming.

More recently, Immigration has resorted to assertion that the border runner MUST be working illegally to find a lawful excuse to deny entry, but I have never heard of a law making the Nth entry illegal.

Senior experts, feel free to correct me. Peanut gallery, put a sock in it.

You cannot take a motorcycle, hired in Thailand, over the Border!

They are after people who continually go in and out to extend the stay.

If you have an outward bound flight from Thailand, and no back to back Visa Exempt entries, you should be ok.

I think it is mostly Filipinos and foreigners working illegally here. I know of a few who did this every 15 days because they were refused non b for work...

Archived