BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai Immigration launches 'new' crackdown on visa runners

If they have already made enough money to retire. Part of that planning process should have been legal status and if their chosen destination is Thailand, that equation should include the cost of the Thai Visa Elite Card.

I had been planning for the past 7 years to 'retire' here and waited until I was 50 and planned for my partner to have the TVE card.

Why I would avoid the Elite card : Thai immigration have a habit of changing the rules and regulations on a continuous basis , The elite card is a lot of money to invest in a Visa that could change at any time , without notice

If they have already made enough money to retire. Part of that planning process should have been legal status and if their chosen destination is Thailand, that equation should include the cost of the Thai Visa Elite Card.

I had been planning for the past 7 years to 'retire' here and waited until I was 50 and planned for my partner to have the TVE card.

Why I would avoid the Elite card : Thai immigration have a habit of changing the rules and regulations on a continuous basis , The elite card is a lot of money to invest in a Visa that could change at any time , without notice

That's a straw man argument. What you're really saying is that you don't want to spend the money. Fair enough.

The fact that they do change the (enforcement of the) rules regularly is a great reason to enroll in the program. I'd bet dollars to donuts that any existing members will either be grandfathered in, or their enrollment fee will be refunded if they ever do, in fact, cancel the program. They aren't going to hose their "preferred" guests- the ones that have demonstrated spending power.

Long stay backpackers and shoestringers to whom they have made no promises- sure. Thailand owes them nothing, and their ability to enter and leave the country -and under what terms- is subject to the whims of the current government in power at the time. But not the high rollers who have had promises made. Because after they've been hosed once, there's no taking another bite... And those are the guys they want to keep as guests.

That's a straw man argument. What you're really saying is that you don't want to spend the money. Fair enough.

The fact that they do change the (enforcement of the) rules regularly is a great reason to enroll in the program. I'd bet dollars to donuts that any existing members will either be grandfathered in, or their enrollment fee will be refunded if they ever do, in fact, cancel the program. They aren't going to hose their "preferred" guests- the ones that have demonstrated spending power.

Long stay backpackers and shoestringers to whom they have made no promises- sure. Thailand owes them nothing, and their ability to enter and leave the country -and under what terms- is subject to the whims of the current government in power at the time. But not the high rollers who have had promises made. Because after they've been hosed once, there's no taking another bite... And those are the guys they want to keep as guests.

You are attempting to use morality and logic to predict how a government will act. Yet, these two attributes have no bearing on policy.

Did you make your money the intelligent way or did you get it from the bank of mom and dad? Because there is nothing intelligent in your post.

For example... Did original elite holders get a partial refund for services cut?

You speak of lowly tourists as some kind of a burden to Thailand, but these tourists (as demonstrated by Chinese) are what matters most. Not a few dozen Thai elite subscribers.

You seem to read what you want to see, as most of us do. I didn't for instance see any reference to lowly tourists in his post, but did see reference to long stay backpackers and shoestringers, which, again my own personal interpretation, is different to normal tourists.

With your reference to the Chinese, how many of them do you know that try to stay here long time? It is true that proper tourists are necessary to the economy, but the few thousand people attempting to stay long term on a shoestring do not really matter to the overall figures.

No matter how important that they may think they are..............................wink.png

Off topic/ Bickering posts removed.

they want you to make visa run to bring money to smaller towns .by example many people go to udon before going to Vientiane.

if not, what would happen? , millions of guys staying with their girlfriend all the time, eating at market and go beach in the evening and that s all? . kicking you out every 90 days is good for the Thai economy. airlines, bus, tuck tuck, they all make money.

and more money they make, more they can decrease prices to compete with more companies. enjoy your little visa run...

More likely "they" do not want people doing visa runs at all.

I am sure the government would rather have people obtaining the proper visa for their intended purpose in staying in The Kingdom.

You are attempting to use morality and logic to predict how a government will act. Yet, these two attributes have no bearing on policy.

No he is actually using the TE contract T&Cs which memory serves talks about refunding the money pro-rata, and before you say it...

i believe, and stand to be corrected by TE members, the fees are paid into a Singapore corporate account, therefore there is a Singapore legal entity and therefore the T&C's would be enforceable under Singapore law, if they breached, the contract and didnt refund...

Well, I hve been here constantly for five years .

I could have bought an Elite visa five years ago for 500 000 Baht

But instead I did three years on the 15 day Visa exempt , costing 1000 B per trip

75000 Baht over three years .

I then got some tourist Visas for a year 10 000 Baht

I then got an education visa , 30 000 Baht, including school, visa and extensions .

I then got more tourist visas for a year 10 000 Baht .

So, in five years , I spent 125 000 Baht on visas

I also learnt Thai and visited neighboring Country numerous times

....................and I saved myself 375 000 Baht in the process .

Well, I hve been here constantly for five years .

I could have bought an Elite visa five years ago for 500 000 Baht

But instead I did three years on the 15 day Visa exempt , costing 1000 B per trip

75000 Baht over three years .

I then got some tourist Visas for a year 10 000 Baht

I then got an education visa , 30 000 Baht, including school, visa and extensions .

I then got more tourist visas for a year 10 000 Baht .

So, in five years , I spent 125 000 Baht on visas

I also learnt Thai and visited neighboring Country numerous times

....................and I saved myself 375 000 Baht in the process .

and with all the money you have saved(money plus compound interest) , you can get more visa, and buy a few condos in the future for your retirement.

you are a true elite.

Just confirmed with Chonburi immigration.... just because you qualify for the Thai Visa Elite Card in a post on the ThaiVisa.com forum doesn't necessarily mean you qualify for it in real life.

:-)