Thai Immigration launches 'new' crackdown on visa runners

webfact

I really don't see the problem. Why can't most of you simply get a flight in? They won't question you then. AirAsia flies extremely cheap. Or go to Hong Kong, or Bali, or Vientaine, or Savannakhet, get a double entry tourist visa and not worry about it for half a year? Is it really worth going every 15 days?

IMHO, if you are so broke that you don't even have the money for the occasional flight, you should go back to your own country and earn a little more cash first or apply for a job as a teacher here to supplement your income.

It's their country, if they don't want you doing back to back visa exemption runs, that's their prerogative. You can't do that in the EU and you can't do that in the USA and you can't do that in Canada, so why should they allow it here?

Personally always flown out .. These days there are cheap options if you book in advance It's not rocket science plus you get a bit more respect .. even on the odd occasion when i did use the border i was dress smart clean shaved smartly dress..? make a world of a differences but it seems not many people do this these days ..

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any news on the upcoming 6 month 5000b multi-entry TR?

Maybe thats on the back burner for now with this latest crackdown.....

Is there a limit on the number of tourist visas you can now get? I seem to remember the thai embassy in Cambodia would only issue 1 or 2, where is currently the best place?

This is nonsense. I got my 30-day "exemption" visa extended by 30 days just yesterday. Sorry, TV, but you're not where I look for investigative journalism.

To get an extension of 30-day exemption, that is done in country at immigration. Leaving the country and re-entering using visa exemption is not extending it but using a new one. Also, this has been primarily at Cambodia border land crossings as has been shown in many reports from TV members and immigration statements. AFAIK this is only land border crossings, not air arrivals, at least what reports have indicated.

We're saying the same thing. Extensions are not affected. Not yet... An unnamed immigration officer reporting to Thai Visa is not a good source.

To be fair, I see the same is being reported in the English language newspaper we aren't allowed to mention on here.

I guess Thai Visa are doing their best to tell us what they can.

It comes back to a post I made in another thread - it should be Immigration officially informing us of news like this and not left up to internet forums to try and piece together the mess of Immigration officials!!

I think you're referring to an article about border runs. What's been suggested in this thread is that extensions of existing visa exempt entries will not be granted at a local immigration office, if that's true, then it wasn't in effect yesterday when I got mine.

But yes, it would be nice if we got this news from an Immigration rep.

so, why are people getting refused at the borders who are simply 'activating' the 2nd part of their 60 days tourist visa ?????

If you had a 60 day tourist visa you wouldn't be doing a visa run in the first place. You do not "activate" anything. You get a 60 day stamp to begin with.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

You must be joking - do you know how difficult it is for Thai people to get a visa at all for countries in Europe or the States? You think Thai people can just show up at the border in the UK and come in for 30 days, then take a train to Paris and turn around and keep coming in, indefinitely? So you think it's madness to clamp down on this practice, eh?

I wish to disclose my ignorance.

If you are not a tourist, for what reasons would one need to do visa runs?

There are numerous visas available for long stay. If you do not qualify, you are not welcome!

Enlightenment sought.

I'm guessing that you are unaware of the farang's apparent rights to do whatever they please. The rules already exist and if they were enforced thoroughly and uniformly this situation would not exist.

It's the uncomfortable juxtaposition of beaurocracy and "Thainess" ;)

Excactly! And about time too!

This only affects those who go out/in every 15 or 30 days (depending on their nationality).

If you have a valid tourist visa, retirement visa, non-o, non-b etc etc then you are fine.

It's basically Immigration trying to stamp out those who abuse the visa-exempt system.

If you are legit, you have nothing to worry about!

Edit to add - doing out/in border hops on visa exempt every month has always been against the rules. It seems that just now, Immigration are being forced to apply the rules.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

And then perhaps Thailand will require all tourists from say the UK, to have visas, as the UK requires of them.

That would be reciprocation too.

That would be absolutely FINE with me. The US gives Thais who qualify a 10 year visa with 180 day stamps for $160, 5800 baht. That's exactly what I want.

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE just go ahead and make it reciprocal, rather than changing these nonsense rules every other month.

so, why are people getting refused at the borders who are simply 'activating' the 2nd part of their 60 days tourist visa ?????

They are not - they have a valid visa.

Some countries passport holders are being refused re-entry at land borders even with

valid Tourist visas.

I saw this first hand with 2 Isreali nationals who wanted to activate their second entry on

on their Tourist visa.

It was at the Thai Cambodian border Ban Packard (Pong Nam Ron)

They were told they could leave but not re-enter.

Perfectly stated. All those 'supporters' of visa runs should really read this.

How does that make any kind of sense?

1.It's not the case that children of wealthy Thais stay overseas without proper documentation and visas.Why should Thai young people be penalised for the mistakes and omissions of usually middle aged foreigners?

2.The Thai Immigration system is a liberal one, far more so than most Western countries.

3.The visa run system is and always was a breach of the spirit of Thai immigration rules.

4.The fact that non qualified foreigners can remain "resident" through visa running is symptomatic of the Thai system's flexibility and generosity.

5.It was always a risk that the authorities would clamp down on visa runners in the event of a major security crisis.

6.I hope that there will be a relaxation but it cannot be guaranteed nor can it be guaranteed that after any relaxation there will not be another clamp down in the future.

7.It is a relatively simple matter for qualified foreigners to obtain proper documentation.The cost is not excessive.

8.The reality is that many thousands fail to understand Thailand is not a suitable retirement destination for those who aren't reasonably well off.

9.The tolerance of the Thai authorities - even now - as regards visa running should be seen as a privilege not as a right.

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

Does anyone know anybody who actually does this?

I don't get why anyone would.

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

seems like a no brainer to me

You have to bear in mind that there are many types of foreigners. For example, a back-packer who turns up in Thailand for a seven weeks stay, and he does this every year. He might not want to apply for a tourist visa when still at home. Instead, he wants to go to Thailand without the tourist visa, and then go to the border after 28 days to stamp in and out. And that's bearing in mind that he's not staying in Bangkok, he will be travelling around Thailand, he will be near the Thai/Cambodia border.

And also, guys who turn up in Thailand and want to go to places like Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia as well. They don't want to fly, they want to go to those places by land, and they only want to stay in those places for a few days. This might make things more complicated for them.

This new crackdown, off-course, will make almost zero difference to any new terrorists doing there attacks. But the crackdown effects some tourists, and harming the tourist industry was the whole point of the bombing.

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

Does anyone know anybody who actually does this?

I don't get why anyone would.

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

seems like a no brainer to me

You have to bear in mind that there are many types of foreigners. For example, a back-packer who turns up in Thailand for a seven weeks stay, and he does this every year. He might not want to apply for a tourist visa when still at home. Instead, he wants to go to Thailand without the tourist visa, and then go to the border after 28 days to stamp in and out. And that's bearing in mind that he's not staying in Bangkok, he will be travelling around Thailand, he will be near the Thai/Cambodia border.

And also, guys who turn up in Thailand and want to go to places like Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia as well. They don't want to fly, they want to go to those places by land, and they only want to stay in those places for a few days. This might make things more complicated for them.

This new crackdown, off-course, will make almost zero difference to any new terrorists doing there attacks. But the crackdown effects some tourists, and harming the tourist industry was the whole point of the bombing.

So Thai immigration should take into consideration those tourists that don't want to get a visa?

They are not - they have a valid visa.

Some countries passport holders are being refused re-entry at land borders even with

valid Tourist visas.

I saw this first hand with 2 Isreali nationals who wanted to activate their second entry on

on their Tourist visa.

It was at the Thai Cambodian border Ban Packard (Pong Nam Ron)

They were told they could leave but not re-enter.

Israeli, from Israel, the Middle East, that's where the terrorism is from. Is it surprising that a load of Thais are going to be suspicious of them ?

With tourism tanking, if they had any sense you'd think they would welcome the additional spending. Guess those folks can just keep going and settle in more farang friendly place

It will have very little impact on genuine tourists, genuine tourists dont visa run to any great extent

And the fact you mentioned "tourism" and "farang settling" kinda proves the point

And then perhaps Thailand will require all tourists from say the UK, to have visas, as the UK requires of them.

That would be reciprocation too.

That would be absolutely FINE with me. The US gives Thais who qualify a 10 year visa with 180 day stamps for $160, 5800 baht. That's exactly what I want.

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE just go ahead and make it reciprocal, rather than changing these nonsense rules every other month.

There is a paid longterm visa available for Thailand -- it's called the Elite card.

You must be joking - do you know how difficult it is for Thai people to get a visa at all for countries in Europe or the States? You think Thai people can just show up at the border in the UK and come in for 30 days, then take a train to Paris and turn around and keep coming in, indefinitely? So you think it's madness to clamp down on this practice, eh?

Have you not learned anyting in your life . That statement is moronic and there is aways 1 dunderhead who will make it .Poor asians will go to a western country on a tourist visa and stay there for a better life . Poor westerners do not come to asia to make a better life. You can see the problems in europe now but i am sure you will not see those same immigrants /refugees coming to thailand or any other asian country where their life would not be better .

There is a world of difference from an asian going to uk with no money and becoming a burden on a state which has to look after them than a uk person coming to asia where they will get nothing from any government .

The interesting thing is, if Thailand implemented the hoop jumping Thai's have to go through to get into the UK,

one suspects large numbers of the farang whingers wouldnt qualify for a Thai visa on the basis that the Thai authorites are not convinced that the person intends leaving Thailand at the end of their visa period LOL

There are a lot of people in the education sector who do visa runs. Some because they simply are not eligible to work legally and some because of complications and time factors which means they may have to make a visa run before their paperwork is ready for the non-B visa.

For non-native speakers, they have to take a TOEIC test and if it is full they have to wait 1 or 2 weeks. The paperwork has to be submitted to the Thai Teacher's Council and the local MOE (depending on where you are) and a letter is issued by them to the embassy/consulate where you plan to get the non-B. This takes time and any delay means a visa run. For some nationalities, like Filipinos, they only get 15 days.

We recently had a fully qualified teacher (degree in education/experience) who was getting ready to get the non-B visa. He lost his passport and the whole process had to start all over.

Anything dealing with people and the human condition is subject to problems and the need for exceptions.

One missing form or one missing signature or a stamp in the wrong color can delay things.

I recommend that you have a tourist visa while you are in the process of obtaining all documents for your non-b application. For me it took 4 months before I had all documents needed because as usual the embassy/immigration asked for something new that they didn't ask for last year! New for this year was that I had to get letters signed by the Secretary General of OVEC and OHEC as my work falls under both jurisdictions sins last year and there are NO local MOE offices at that level. If you work in primary or secondary school then you have a local office in the province or even the district (primary) so then it's EASY to get the documents.

Just to qualify the word EASY, we had a situation where the person who had to sign the documents at the office was gone....away from work....away from Thailand actually. No one else could sign.

With the benefit of hindsight everything is 20/20.

I disagree with those that abuse the system with constant out/in visas, but the problem is that this might not be the solution. I have a feeling there will be more bribes paid. Some of the people who assist with visas will figure out a way. It will probably just cost more.

don't worry...... everything will revert to what is was before (I would guess and say within the next 5 days)....this is Thailand....knee jerk reactions to anything and everything...no thought...no

brains...then suddenly they realise the mess they have made...

then some Minister or Govt official gets his moment of glory in the media....... retracts the original mouthspout and tells everyone "it was all just a big misunderstanding"

This is Same as happened last year and last about a Month We all know where there Brains are

Archived