Thai Immigration launches 'new' crackdown on visa runners

webfact

WHew! Thank you for the clarity:

"This ‘crackdown’ only applies to those people who stay in Thailand on visa exempt entries, without valid visas, and therefore have to complete a border run every 15 or 30 days."

I have a Tripe Entry Tourist Visa issued in the USA and was going to Ranong to go out/renter for another 60 day on Wnedsday.

As I read this, it can still be done!

Anyone who thinks I am wrong, please speak up and save me a very long drive.

Thanks!

Please report back with your result. I too have a multi entry TV and have to do a trip to Ranong next month.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple, If you are too cheap to pay for a proper Visa and Extension, go home. If you are too poor Thailand does not want you, go home. If you are a criminal then Thailand and I do want you around, go home !!

Your last sentence, you are saying that both you and Thailand want criminals around??

Just who are you speaking for here?

Now wait. I typically go to thailand once a year. My usa contract work schedule is very unpredictable. I usually have no time to plan in advance and get a 60 day tourist visa. So the 30 day visa exempt on arrival was what attracted me to thailand in the first place. Twice, on two separated trips I extended my stay by 30 days by making a border run to cambodia and back getting another 30 days.

So are they really saying now that nobody can go out and in, not even once and get another 30 days? That makes no sense. If I leave Thailand, how long would I have to wait to re-enter? Say I went to Cambodia for one week, would I then be allowed back to Thailand to stay some more?

Getting a Tourist visa in advance just won't work for me. 1: It is hard for me to plan any trip in advance. 2: I can't take time off to get to a Thai embassy and drop off and pick up a visa. 3: I don't trust mailing my passport around.

This is horrible if they really are blocking even one single 30 day visa exempt border run.

Instead of doing a border run - just go to the local immigration office and get an extension. Cost will be cheaper than a border-run anyway :)

Standard stuff here

And not well thought through at this point of time Thailand is starving and they can say all they like I here all day long business owners can not pay there bilss vendors struggling and so on.... They should be stamping US, OZ and UK a 30 day stamp on land crossing right now and there with a cold can of coke and a welcome smile

Gee my god imagine the money and rep the country would have

We can only dream this as what you get is nasrty smurk a cold grunt and thats it

What do they say ;;; Land of Smiles

Instead of doing a border run - just go to the local immigration office and get an extension. Cost will be cheaper than a border-run anyway smile.png

What documents do I need to provide? Proof on onward travel? Or can i simply show up with my passport and my 30 day visa exempt stamp and get that extension?

If I am correct you can still do an extension of stay once on a 30 day visa exempt entry. Am I right on this?

Yes smile.png At least we are not aware of any changes to this relatively new facility.

1900 Baht.

Maybe yes maybe no, who can tell these days think it depends on which way the wind blows just glad I don't have to do this any more.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

So are you seriously suggesting that these Thais are going into e.g. Europe or the US without a Visa? How about this reciprocity from Thailand: No Visa exempt entries at all, that's how the EU and US work!

I went to Laos.. Got a sixty day visa..

Returned.. As my Thai govt worker roommate suggested.

The van was hell..

Next time I'll live Udon Thani

Aloha and Outta here..

There is a very good sleeper train service. It leaves Hualampong at 8pm, arrive Nong Khai 7am. Return from Nong Khai 6pm, arrive Bangkok 6am. Very comfortable and convenient, buy your ticket in advance to ensure a place, and the bottom bunk gives a great nights sleep, the top bunk is smaller and has the ceiling light right in your face. Also you save the price of a hotel room. I did it every month for 2 years, A van from Bangkok to the Laos border! Are you nuts?

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

If I understand correctly, they are only enforcing the existing laws which those who don't have multiple entry visas should have been aware of when they entered the country. I couldn't imagine any western country allowing their immigration to be so lax or allowing foreigners without right to come and go as they please without the proper documentation.

Instead of doing a border run - just go to the local immigration office and get an extension. Cost will be cheaper than a border-run anyway smile.png

What documents do I need to provide? Proof on onward travel? Or can i simply show up with my passport and my 30 day visa exempt stamp and get that extension?

Other posters in this thread have referenced the same option. When I did it some years ago there was no documentation needed apart from the application form and photos and a fee. Your local immigration office will be able to tell you exactly what they need - all offices are not the same.

WHew! Thank you for the clarity:

"This ‘crackdown’ only applies to those people who stay in Thailand on visa exempt entries, without valid visas, and therefore have to complete a border run every 15 or 30 days."

I have a Tripe Entry Tourist Visa issued in the USA and was going to Ranong to go out/renter for another 60 day on Wnedsday.

As I read this, it can still be done!

Anyone who thinks I am wrong, please speak up and save me a very long drive.

Thanks!

There is at least one post on this thread regarding an individual who was denied entry on the second entry of a multiple-entry visa. I would not assume anything and keep an eye on this story as it progresses.

so, why are people getting refused at the borders who are simply 'activating' the 2nd part of their 60 days tourist visa ?????

If you had a 60 day tourist visa you wouldn't be doing a visa run in the first place. You do not "activate" anything. You get a 60 day stamp to begin with.

I said: " 'activating' the 2nd part of their .. visa"

when you get a DOUBLE ENTRY tourist visa, you need to do a BORDER RUN (or leave the country and come back again) to activate the 2nd stint of your visa.

If I understand correctly, they are only enforcing the existing laws which those who don't have multiple entry visas should have been aware of when they entered the country. I couldn't imagine any western country allowing their immigration to be so lax or allowing foreigners without right to come and go as they please without the proper documentation.

You can't compare Thailand to the UK or the USA or other countries. I am sure Thailand is not too worried about military spies, as an off the cuff example. Getting a visa exempt does require proper documentation. I don't mind there being some limits on it. But denying even one border run, when the person has no continual and repetitive use will just turn off casual tourists like me that travel on little notice and can't really get tourist visas in advance. The flexibility and ease of a visa exempt on arrival is what made me pick thailand in the first place. I love easy no hassle things.

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

Does anyone know anybody who actually does this?

I don't get why anyone would.

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

seems like a no brainer to me

The options are limited for someone who is under 50 and does not want to pay for an elite visa.

No they are not.

You simply go to a Thai Consulate and apply for a proper Tourist visa.

Then you come to Thailand.

You stay until the visa (entry) is almost used, then go to immigration and pay 1900 THB for an extension.

Then when the extension is used you leave Thailand.

If you have a double or triple entry visa you do not need to go and apply for a new visa, you can simply come back into Thailand and activate your next entry.

Repeat the steps above until you've used all entries.

Start the process again with a new visa.

If you get on a plane and fly out between entries and you look smart when you fly back in then you should have no problem coming back in each time.

Remember that under the current law there is no limit to how many days you can stay in Thailand on legitimate Tourist Visas.

There is nothing difficult about it.

Caveats:

You cannot work here.

It looks better (imho) if instead of doing cheap charlie land border trips, you actually spring for a flight out to another country and spend a few days out of Thailand.

Not being productive or having any experience in running a business, most governments and bureaucrats never realise how things actually work. They can only think in linear terms and cannot comprehend the exponential and diverse cause and effects, which arise from their policies.

Close down full moon parties to stop drug use:

Great, tens of thousands of backpackers go elsewhere. Budget accommodations businesses close, unemployment increases, retail shrinks, demand for transportation is reduced. A problem that could have been solved with a few million baht on policing, just cost the economy hundreds of millions, with future projections into the billions.

Crackdown on visa runners, because of concerns around people working illegally:

Very good, rental values sag, downward pressure on real estate and the accommodation business, retail takings reduced and slowdown in money velocity. More unemployment.

When you consider what these border runners are allegedly "stealing" against the overall inbound investment and economic activity which arises, from a more or less open border policy, it's another case of blowing tens of billions of revenue, to solve a problem that when one examines it in economic terms, is barely a problem at all.

so, why are people getting refused at the borders who are simply 'activating' the 2nd part of their 60 days tourist visa ?????

They are not - they have a valid visa.

What are you talkiing about? and why are fellow people agreeing (liking) what you have said?

YESTERDAY MORNING, this was reported: "also not allowing people to depart and return (out-in border hop) to activate second- or multiple-entry visas of any class."

So, if people are getting refused with VALID visas, How is anyone safe to leave thailand?

Link to yetsredays article (in case you didnt read it):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855734-bomber-blame-game-sees-thailand-immigration-abruptly-change-visa-rules/?utm_source=LINE&utm_medium=LINEutm_campaign

Because some insubordinate immigration officers are defying instructions from their superiors.

immigration is so corrupted these days it's beyond a joke to honest with everybody .. By the way it seems the PM wants to put armed forces personnel into immigration due to corruption also do people realize just in suvarnabhumi airport each day they are making a few million ฿ just on fast track / queue jumping charging 200/300฿ per person then on top of this other related fraud schemes.. And people wonder how immigration officers can ride around in benzs and bmw's and have all the latest gadgets .. By the way people other Thai news sources have also come out with the new visa ban ..

i never saw any fast track at this airport, never in the last 10 years

I second that motion and suggest that each and every representative, within the western nations, be petitioned to establish that type of program.

immigration is so corrupted these days it's beyond a joke to honest with everybody .. By the way it seems the PM wants to put armed forces personnel into immigration due to corruption also do people realize just in suvarnabhumi airport each day they are making a few million ฿ just on fast track / queue jumping charging 200/300฿ per person then on top of this other related fraud schemes.. And people wonder how immigration officers can ride around in benzs and bmw's and have all the latest gadgets .. By the way people other Thai news sources have also come out with the new visa ban ..

i never saw any fast track at this airport, never in the last 10 years

Well you should have opened your eyes then, used it myself plenty of times

Sorry but what difference would this make?

The govt doesn't care what happens outside of their country regardless if it's their citizens or not. These are the rules here and if you don't like them then you are welcome to choose another place.

I understand why some people are frustrated but rules are rules.

If you don't meet the retirement conditions then come back in a few more years when you are 50 or whatever the age is and have 800K in the bank.

To be honest, aside from retirement, I don't really understand why some expats are even trying to do visa runs here.

oh not someone else who thinks I should be at home paying his pension chill out mate

This is nonsense. I got my 30-day "exemption" visa extended by 30 days just yesterday. Sorry, TV, but you're not where I look for investigative journalism.

I think you are missing the bigger picture. The Visa rules, like most of the laws in Thailand are sporadically enforced and given completely to the vagaries of time, place, and specific circumstances. It's about both the interpretation and and implementation of the law. TV is pretty good at giving the basic direction of change in an ever changing country.

Uncle Bob

This is nonsense. I got my 30-day "exemption" visa extended by 30 days just yesterday. Sorry, TV, but you're not where I look for investigative journalism.

I think you are missing the bigger picture. The Visa rules, like most of the laws in Thailand are sporadically enforced and given completely to the vagaries of time, place, and specific circumstances. It's about both the interpretation and and implementation of the law. TV is pretty good at giving the basic direction of change in an ever changing country.

Uncle Bob

Yeah, it's been pointed out that I did not interpret the OP correctly. That being said, an "unnamed source in Immigration" is not exactly what I'd call reliable journalism.

Archived