Thai Immigration launches 'new' crackdown on visa runners

webfact

Update

Just got this by email from a visa run company.

All border check point with Thai-Cambodia will stamp only People with

valid visa. No OUT/IN for any nationality.

Kanchanaburi still refuse to accept travelers even with valid visa.

But Thai-Laos border it is still "Business as usual".

I think this time they will enforce it at least up to 1st October,

never mind the economic damage they cause.

I can attest to that, I went to Kanchanaburi border this morning, 4 hours drive. refused to be let out of the country with my valid tourist visa (triple entry, 3rd entry)

now I am scrambling around to figure out how to get the 3rd entry in in 2 days. apparently will need to fly ;\

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of people in the education sector who do visa runs. Some because they simply are not eligible to work legally and some because of complications and time factors which means they may have to make a visa run before their paperwork is ready for the non-B visa.

For non-native speakers, they have to take a TOEIC test and if it is full they have to wait 1 or 2 weeks. The paperwork has to be submitted to the Thai Teacher's Council and the local MOE (depending on where you are) and a letter is issued by them to the embassy/consulate where you plan to get the non-B. This takes time and any delay means a visa run. For some nationalities, like Filipinos, they only get 15 days.

We recently had a fully qualified teacher (degree in education/experience) who was getting ready to get the non-B visa. He lost his passport and the whole process had to start all over.

Anything dealing with people and the human condition is subject to problems and the need for exceptions.

One missing form or one missing signature or a stamp in the wrong color can delay things.

I recommend that you have a tourist visa while you are in the process of obtaining all documents for your non-b application. For me it took 4 months before I had all documents needed because as usual the embassy/immigration asked for something new that they didn't ask for last year! New for this year was that I had to get letters signed by the Secretary General of OVEC and OHEC as my work falls under both jurisdictions sins last year and there are NO local MOE offices at that level. If you work in primary or secondary school then you have a local office in the province or even the district (primary) so then it's EASY to get the documents.

Just to qualify the word EASY, we had a situation where the person who had to sign the documents at the office was gone....away from work....away from Thailand actually. No one else could sign.

With the benefit of hindsight everything is 20/20.

I disagree with those that abuse the system with constant out/in visas, but the problem is that this might not be the solution. I have a feeling there will be more bribes paid. Some of the people who assist with visas will figure out a way. It will probably just cost more.

What I mean with EASY is that there is a local office. In the past I have never needed any letter from OVEC (Office of Vocational Education Commission) as colleges under OVEC has been considered to be the local office (so then it was really EASY) but this year that had changed. And to add to that they also asked for a letter from OHEC (Office of Higher Education Commission) as the college now is a part of an Institute (something something) and offers 1 (ONE) course up to bachelor degree.

If it continue like this then I will need a letter signed by the Minister of Education in a few years as a letter from one Secretary General was not enough to get a visa this year!

It seems that people are blaming the system.

They should understand the system prior to entry to LOS or signing a contract of employment.

The government has a system for the benefit of the citizens of LOS - not for the few who consider that they are treated unfairly.

Invariably, lack of $$$ is the motivator. If you don't have the dosh, don't enter the Kingdom/ Go elsewhere or stay in your native country.

Some seem to want it all their way - life is simply not like that.

so, why are people getting refused at the borders who are simply 'activating' the 2nd part of their 60 days tourist visa ?????

They are not - they have a valid visa.

What are you talkiing about? and why are fellow people agreeing (liking) what you have said?

YESTERDAY MORNING, this was reported: "also not allowing people to depart and return (out-in border hop) to activate second- or multiple-entry visas of any class."

So, if people are getting refused with VALID visas, How is anyone safe to leave thailand?

Link to yetsredays article (in case you didnt read it):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855734-bomber-blame-game-sees-thailand-immigration-abruptly-change-visa-rules/?utm_source=LINE&utm_medium=LINEutm_campaign

Have another read about 'reportedly'.

The fact is that valid visa holders are not affected (and I have evidence of that).

Go on, be bold and exit and see what happens.

I know I will be fine when I do my exit and re-entry in a few weeks time,, (coz i know that immigration staff around the country will be more informed by that time).

BUT: from experience, when immigration enforces some big rules,, there is chaos and misunderstanding around the country by different immigration staffs interpretation of the rules. Hence the stories we read about before where Valid Visa Holders get penalized.

But sometimes the comotion and mistakes continue for more than a week or so.

immigration is so corrupted these days it's beyond a joke to honest with everybody .. By the way it seems the PM wants to put armed forces personnel into immigration due to corruption also do people realize just in suvarnabhumi airport each day they are making a few million ฿ just on fast track / queue jumping charging 200/300฿ per person then on top of this other related fraud schemes.. And people wonder how immigration officers can ride around in benzs and bmw's and have all the latest gadgets .. By the way people other Thai news sources have also come out with the new visa ban ..

i never saw any fast track at this airport, never in the last 10 years

Fast Track was done away with about 4 or 5 years ago.

I used it about 4 or 5 years ago when I flew in to thailand.

i think they did away with it soon after.

(not 10 years ago)

They are not - they have a valid visa.

What are you talkiing about? and why are fellow people agreeing (liking) what you have said?

YESTERDAY MORNING, this was reported: "also not allowing people to depart and return (out-in border hop) to activate second- or multiple-entry visas of any class."

So, if people are getting refused with VALID visas, How is anyone safe to leave thailand?

Link to yetsredays article (in case you didnt read it):

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855734-bomber-blame-game-sees-thailand-immigration-abruptly-change-visa-rules/?utm_source=LINE&utm_medium=LINEutm_campaign

Have another read about 'reportedly'.

The fact is that valid visa holders are not affected (and I have evidence of that).

Go on, be bold and exit and see what happens.

I know I will be fine when I do my exit and re-entry in a few weeks time,, (coz i know that immigration staff around the country will be more informed by that time).

BUT: from experience, when immigration enforces some big rules,, there is chaos and misunderstanding around the country by different immigration staffs interpretation of the rules. Hence the stories we read about before where Valid Visa Holders get penalized.

But sometimes the comotion and mistakes continue for more than a week or so.

Maybe you need to read the whole thread, especially this posting...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855966-thai-immigration-launches-new-crackdown-on-visa-runners/page-8#entry9857345

Amazing they continue to make it so complicated to live and be in Thailand legally so we can spend our money here - including hiring locals for yard work, house repairs, barbers, massage, motorcycle repairs, etc. etc. We'll see what happens, but I'm already planning on a second home in another, more "user friendly" country. It's ridiculous.

immigration is so corrupted these days it's beyond a joke to honest with everybody .. By the way it seems the PM wants to put armed forces personnel into immigration due to corruption also do people realize just in suvarnabhumi airport each day they are making a few million ฿ just on fast track / queue jumping charging 200/300฿ per person then on top of this other related fraud schemes.. And people wonder how immigration officers can ride around in benzs and bmw's and have all the latest gadgets .. By the way people other Thai news sources have also come out with the new visa ban ..

(not 10 years ago)

No it hasnt i went through it not 6 weeks ago :rolleyes:

(not 10 years ago)

No it hasnt i went through it not 6 weeks ago rolleyes.gif

thats good ^^

I don't get why anyone would.

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

seems like a no brainer to me

Unless, of course, you're one of the many who don't qualify for a legitimate visa and/or other permission to stay in the country long term (like extension of stay). Those guys have no such option, and either have to do visa runs, risk arrest, or leave the country.

I think that's nature's way of saying, you've been here long enough.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

And then perhaps Thailand will require all tourists from say the UK, to have visas, as the UK requires of them.

That would be reciprocation too.

Yes, those who think reciprocation is a good idea don't seem to understand the hoops Thais have to jump through to get a visa to western countries.

Yes, if we're truly reciprocating, I would love to see Thailand put in a visa requirement which essentially boils down to, you have to have a good enough reason to go back home. You have to own land back home or show some other sort of connection to your home country that would make it unlikely that you would come to Thailand and try to stay.

he (the terrorist bomber) came ILLEGALY in the country doing a border crossing with a crooked border guard

but ... BLAME TO LEGAL FARANGS?

If you're legal, this should not be too much of an issue. If you're in Thailand illegally, as in you're living in Thailand without a valid visa which allows one to live in Thailand (retirement, ED, work, marriage, etc), you're illegal.

Stop the discussion, if you want to stay in Thailand for a long time or permanently you have to have a solid reason e.g. retirement, legal work or limited education purpose and not trying to get in and out to continue a dubious or lavish lifestyle no matter if you can afford it or not. Imagine you do this between the US-Mexican border? Think you can get away with it? Some eyebrows, certainly on the US border, will be raised! Sure with the current events in Bangkok everything has gone more towards strict enforcement of applicable immigration rules concerning but that's almost everywhere. Something unexpected has to happen first before the authorities wake up!!! On the other hand one cold argue that if you are really here with a solid purpose you shouldn't need to go in & out all the time.... I know it provides a lot of discussion here and certain foreigners (teachers) are unwillingly forced to opt for this solution but it needs to be addressed that often they contribute also to an enforcement of rules by local authorities. As with many incentives in Thailand it will only last some time before it all eases back down to whatever we are used to here! Keep enjoying the ride here guys!!!clap2.gif

Typical Thailand!! Crack down on people that are already in the country and doing no harm, ( at least they are complying with the rule of the land that required them to do the visa run in the first place), because some guy bribed his way into the Kingdom to plant a bomb... they should be targeting corrupt officials, .... not people that want to be here. Why not let these people go to an Immigration office and pay for a renewal, ...no, .. silly me, ...that would be logical, .. a win/win situation! The people applying do not ave to waste a whole day going to that border and the Thai government gets new revenue, AND can more effectively track these people!

and, ... by the way, .. a visa run costs about 2,000 baht! 1,300 of that money goes to Cambodia for the visa you need to go in and out ... but it is good for 90 days!!

That's the point, they're not complying with the "rule of the land." Those visas (or exemptions) are intended for people who are visiting Thailand for a short period. They are not a mechanism for someone to live in Thailand and bypass getting a long-term stay visa. Just because they have been used for that purpose in the past does not make it the "rule of the land."

Amazing they continue to make it so complicated to live and be in Thailand legally so we can spend our money here - including hiring locals for yard work, house repairs, barbers, massage, motorcycle repairs, etc. etc. We'll see what happens, but I'm already planning on a second home in another, more "user friendly" country. It's ridiculous.

I can only assume you have never spoken to a Thai living in your home country about what it takes for them to live in your country. What it takes to live in Thailand is trivial compared to the hoops they have to jump through to live in our countries.

The only way to end this madness is for immediate reciprocation from western nations to make the sons and daughters of the Thai elite start visa running - with clear doubts over their re-entry being cast. Once these little darlings have been forced to leave their luxury dwellings to flit off to Calais or other migrant infested hellholes with no real idea when or if they will be allowed to return, there will be an awakening.

And then perhaps Thailand will require all tourists from say the UK, to have visas, as the UK requires of them.

That would be reciprocation too.

Yes, those who think reciprocation is a good idea don't seem to understand the hoops Thais have to jump through to get a visa to western countries.

Yes, if we're truly reciprocating, I would love to see Thailand put in a visa requirement which essentially boils down to, you have to have a good enough reason to go back home. You have to own land back home or show some other sort of connection to your home country that would make it unlikely that you would come to Thailand and try to stay.

Yes it would be interesting wouldnt it.. imagine the blow hards on TV howling when the letters get sent back...stating:

" in the opinion of Thai immigration we have not see any compelling evidence to suggest that Mr Horatio Blowhard farang will return to his country of origin at the end of his visa, therefore visa application is declined"

Then you will see the howls of racism, human rights violations and its just not fair....stamp little feet

A trip to your local immigration office every 90 days VS a visa run every month???

Unless, of course, you're one of the many who don't qualify for a legitimate visa and/or other permission to stay in the country long term (like extension of stay). Those guys have no such option, and either have to do visa runs, risk arrest, or leave the country.

Or your local immigration are a waste of space.

They should understand the system prior to entry to LOS or signing a contract of employment.

The government has a system for the benefit of the citizens of LOS - not for the few who consider that they are treated unfairly.

Invariably, lack of $$$ is the motivator. If you don't have the dosh, don't enter the Kingdom/ Go elsewhere or stay in your native country.

IMO, people aren't blaming the system per se, they are blaming the inability to apply universal enforcement of the rules and regulations that make the system.

Some are blaming misdirected aggression in enforcement of the rules to cover the alleged bribe taking by immigration officials who should be facing prison terms for their actions.

Nothing much wrong with the system.

You must be joking - do you know how difficult it is for Thai people to get a visa at all for countries in Europe or the States? You think Thai people can just show up at the border in the UK and come in for 30 days, then take a train to Paris and turn around and keep coming in, indefinitely? So you think it's madness to clamp down on this practice, eh?

It's pure comedy the world these people live in. My favorites are the ones who claim one of the reasons they moved to Thailand was because of too many immigrants back in their own country. They feel like they're being turned into second class citizens. The immigrants are all on government assistance and true [FILL IN THE NATIONALITY HERE] cannot even get benefits.

But, then they come to Thailand and live illegally and complain that it's unfair when Thailand cracks down on them.

I can only assume you have never spoken to a Thai living in your home country about what it takes for them to live in your country. What it takes to live in Thailand is trivial compared to the hoops they have to jump through to live in our countries.

Plus, seems like a guy who can afford a home, and pay people to work on it, is not really the target of this crackdown.

What amazes me is that there actually foreigners living in Thailand on visa exempts only.

Who in their right mind could be bothered having to go to a border every 30 days to stamp in and out. That is no life.

Does anyone know anybody who actually does this?

You have to bear in mind that there are many types of foreigners. For example, a back-packer who turns up in Thailand for a seven weeks stay, and he does this every year. He might not want to apply for a tourist visa when still at home. Instead, he wants to go to Thailand without the tourist visa, and then go to the border after 28 days to stamp in and out. And that's bearing in mind that he's not staying in Bangkok, he will be travelling around Thailand, he will be near the Thai/Cambodia border.

And also, guys who turn up in Thailand and want to go to places like Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia as well. They don't want to fly, they want to go to those places by land, and they only want to stay in those places for a few days. This might make things more complicated for them.

This new crackdown, off-course, will make almost zero difference to any new terrorists doing there attacks. But the crackdown effects some tourists, and harming the tourist industry was the whole point of the bombing.

Who cares if the backpacker "might not want to apply for a tourist visa when still at home"? Guess what? The wishes of backpackers are not the basis for immigration laws.

The guy who "turns up" in Thailand should also not be the basis for immigration law. BTW, you do know that this straw man tourist can go to the Thai consulate in Cambodia, Laos, and Malaysia and request a proper tourist visa, right?

Every country has their own immigration/visa requirements. Most travelers check those visa requirements before booking the flight and the airlines won't even allow you to board a flight if you don't have the proper documents. Thailand has fairly liberal (even with the crackdown) visa requirements which allow a good chunk of the world to show up at with no visa. They are welcomed into the country as tourists and given a certain period of time to enjoy what Thailand has to offer and if people wish to stay longer or want to criss-cross back and forth into Thailand they need to get a different kind of visa. It's that simple.

IMO, people aren't blaming the system per se, they are blaming the inability to apply universal enforcement of the rules and regulations that make the system.

Some are blaming misdirected aggression in enforcement of the rules to cover the alleged bribe taking by immigration officials who should be facing prison terms for their actions.

There is something wrong with the system though. There's something wrong with allowing pretty much anyone to stay in your country indefinitely and relatively unchecked provided they hit the border every 15 or 30 days.

That's because your nationality never made you stop at Visa on Arrival, which only applies for a number of nations, you get 14 days - or 15 (I was never sure - call it 2 weeks on arrival) and you have to pay 1000 baht, but the fast track service right next to it costs 1200 baht - NOT LEGAL but as openly advertised as the Poipet Cambodian crossing charging extra 200 baht over your 20 dollar visa.

Reentry permit: 1200 baht at Suvarnabhumi - also ILLEGAL in my opinion, not regulated by any written decision so just tea money. Also very openly advertised.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I totally subscribe. Make a system and apply the rules fairly. If they leave loopholes in it, that's totally up to the people designing it and it has a very good reason. Read cash cow or money making machine or whatever else you want to call it.

There is something wrong with the system though. There's something wrong with allowing pretty much anyone to stay in your country indefinitely and relatively unchecked provided they hit the border every 15 or 30 days.

Compared to other countries, it is a different system indeed that is prone to abuse, but it was them who took out the 90 days out of 180 days rule back in 2008. Now I can only speculate that what they were thinking back then was within the lines of: "Why restrict them when we can let them in but milk them continuously for money. More and more and more. Because that's what they are these farangs at the end of the day, walking ATM's....No?

That's because your nationality never made you stop at Visa on Arrival, which only applies for a number of nations, you get 14 days - or 15 (I was never sure - call it 2 weeks on arrival) and you have to pay 1000 baht, but the fast track service right next to it costs 1200 baht - NOT LEGAL but as openly advertised as the Poipet Cambodian crossing charging extra 200 baht over your 20 dollar visa.

Reentry permit: 1200 baht at Suvarnabhumi - also ILLEGAL in my opinion, not regulated by any written decision so just tea money. Also very openly advertised.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

The fast track service is legal

stop talking rubbish, further fast track passes are given to business class passengers, the service is advertised by AOT, even economy passengers can use the fast track if you pay the Thb 1200...its not tea money, the money doesnt go to immigratuon

Re-entry permits at SUV are above board its an immigration booth

Anothef know it all who knows nothing

You must be joking - do you know how difficult it is for Thai people to get a visa at all for countries in Europe or the States? You think Thai people can just show up at the border in the UK and come in for 30 days, then take a train to Paris and turn around and keep coming in, indefinitely? So you think it's madness to clamp down on this practice, eh?

Have you not learned anyting in your life . That statement is moronic and there is aways 1 dunderhead who will make it .Poor asians will go to a western country on a tourist visa and stay there for a better life . Poor westerners do not come to asia to make a better life. You can see the problems in europe now but i am sure you will not see those same immigrants /refugees coming to thailand or any other asian country where their life would not be better .

There is a world of difference from an asian going to uk with no money and becoming a burden on a state which has to look after them than a uk person coming to asia where they will get nothing from any government .

Wait, you think most of the people complaining about not being able to afford an Elite Card or who cannot in some other way obtain a long-term visa are not coming to Thailand for a better life than they could have back in their home country? So people are moving to Thailand for the food? LOL

Most westerners are only not poor by comparative standards. Why do threads on this and other forums constantly debate whether it's possible to live on $500 or $1000 a month in Thailand? Because those people are rich?

While it's true that foreigners are not living off government benefits in Thailand, they do benefit from the way that Thailand handles government intervention. You can only have cheap labor (which is Thailand's main resource) if you also have cheap food and shelter. If you view many of the Thai government's actions with an eye out for this fact, you will see that this the main form of welfare.

Considering that one of the main reasons that many foreigners move to Thailand is the cheap cost of living (i.e. food and shelter), they are benefitting from government intervention.

The fast track service is legal

stop talking rubbish, further fast track passes are given to business class passengers, the service is advertised by AOT, even economy passengers can use the fast track if you pay the Thb 1200...its not tea money, the money doesnt go to immigratuon

Re-entry permits at SUV are above board its an immigration booth

Anothef know it all who knows nothing

No, no. Allow me to clarify because we are talking about two different things.

I am not talking about the fast track system that you benefit from being a business class passenger or Gold Member on Qatar Airways for instance.

I am talking about a booth called "Visa on Arrival" that you have never seen unless you belong to this group of countries.

The list of countries eligible to obtain Visa on Arrival

Andorra Bhutan Bulgaria China Taiwa Cyprus Ethiopia India Kazakhstan Latvia Lithuania Maldives Malta Mauritius Romania San marino Saudi Arabia Ukraine Uzbekistan

The price is 1,000 baht and you get 14 days on arrival. PAID.

On the left hand side, there is a counter called Fast Track that charges THB 1,200 for the service but if my memory serves me right only issues / issued the receipt for 1,000.

I thought that's what the general xyz meant when he was talking about the corruption in Suvarnabhumi.

As for the reentry permit, you may be right it is above the board, I don't remember if that receipt was for 1,000 or 1,200.

post-243567-0-14845400-1442328182_thumb.

I wish to disclose my ignorance.

If you are not a tourist, for what reasons would one need to do visa runs?

There are numerous visas available for long stay. If you do not qualify, you are not welcome!

Enlightenment sought.

You have certainly done that, disclosed your ignorance I mean, your words, not mine. Who are you to say who should be welcome or not welcome in Thailand?

A lot of people don't want to have a lot of money in a Thai bank, and are happy to do visa runs. Why should they not be welcome in Thailand? They are still

contributing to the economy.

Collectively, if you added up everything that all of the people you described contribute to the Thai economy, it would still be less than trivial. Just because you go into a restaurant, order a coffee and nurse it for five hours, doesn't really mean you're contributing to the success of the restaurant.

Who cares if you spend 4x or 5x what a Thai spends? It's really very trivial. Thailand is a $5B dollar economy. Your $15K or $20K a year isn't going to put a dent in the economy.

To me it's so funny that whenever you talk about immigration, many of the expats love to brag about how much they contribute to the economy. When the conversation isn't about immigration, they're complaining about the price of beer going up 5 baht.

Archived