BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

New Zealand father and son arrested at Phuket Airport over Patong restaurant bill

Nothing "retroactive" about it. The arrest warrant was issued in 2013 after they (allegedly) skipped on their bill. They returned in 2015 and were caught. No different than if a warrant was issued today but the suspect isn't caught until 2+ years later.

Unless you are trying to suggest that walking out on a restaurant bill isn't a scam but being arrested and held accountable for doing so is ?

Must have been a fairly substantial bill for the restaurant to file a complaint and an arrest warrant to be issued.

Exactly, an inflated bill and that's why this restaurant has been previously accused of cheating customers. Another Thailand scam.

You don't know the difference between "substantial" and " inflated"? So no "exactly" about it at all.

Obviously inflated, because the settlement suggests that the restaurant accepted substantially less than the amount presented on the check. I'm sure the Phuket police happily accepted their share of the catch. The scamming continues with direct support of a corrupt police department.

Why do people like you just invent things? Try reading the link, the full amount of the outstanding bill was paid, not "substantially less". Neither was there any suggestion of the police taking part of it. So where was the scam?

That restaurant owner must have some big connections. Immigration officers plus 4 Kathu police needed to get these criminals. I would also want to pose proudly behind these hardened criminals and smile knowing that I've made Thailand a safer place. After all, it's a well known fact that those who are accused of cheating on a restaurant bill are likely to kill.

criminals ?cheesy.gif

what's funny is you not realizing he's speaking tongue-in-cheek

The image has been Photoshopped,,,

no finger-pointing, no blurred faces,

i want to see the evidence and i want

these guys to stand up and say

'' we have rights''

Treating tourist like this will certainly have an impact on tourism.

I just can't believe your comment ...

Either they did run without paying the bill or they did not.

1/ If they did, well, it was the wrong thing to do, even if the food was overpriced, bad, and thrown at them by extremely unfriendly staff, which happens a LOT in Phuket, and which is one of the reasons I have vowed long ago not to return to that island, beautiful as it may be.

2/ If they did nothing wrong, then I do feel sorry for them because in this country, the line between being accused and being guilty is hazy as hell, and justice, especially on the islands, tends to be ... how can I put this diplomatically ... in the hands of those who can afford it.

The Police only get involved in cases like this when they get a peice of the action.

For example, earlier this year, a small hotel in Pattaya had a beauty pageant where the coordinator skipped out on the bill (over 30,000 baht). They called the police and explained the situation. The police's response, "How much will I get of that?"

Where is the reform?

Free the Finn Twins!

"They're not twins!"

Free them anyway!

"They have already been released."

Good.

There are a lot of posts stating that it would be near impossible to get a 15,000 baht bill for a restaurant meal.

Perhaps, they had guests for dinner. Maybe a couple of bar girls each.

Perhaps, the 15,000 baht bill was the total of having several meals in the restaurant, and charged to the room.

Perhaps, the bill was the total of a restaurant meal, room service, mini bar etc, over their holiday.

Perhaps they ordered a couple of 5000 baht bottles of wine.

Many ways to easily accumulate a 15,000 baht bill in food and beverage in a decent hotel, on Phuket.

That said, I am a little suspicious the bill comes to an "even" 15,000 baht.

I have in the past paid more than that for a meal for two in Chiang Mai.

My friend paid about 30k for the two of us for lunch at Sri Racha. The costs add up because of wine etc.

Now a 50 baht Thai meals is good!

<snip>

Must have been a fairly substantial bill for the restaurant to file a complaint and an arrest warrant to be issued.

PG reports it was 15,000 baht for food and beverage, so quite a substantial bill.

For 2 people in one night! Must have been a good one!

Treating tourist like this will certainly have an impact on tourism.

Why? You think millions of Chinese who are thinking about visiting Thailand are going to be upset about this? You think tens of thousands of Germans who are thinking about fleeing their January weather for a few days in sunny Phuket are going to be upset by this? And on and on. Conceivably some people in New Zealand might worry about being cheated at a restaurant and decide not to visit Thailand, going to Malaysia or Phnom Penh instead, but most Kiwis who even hear the story are probably going to figure the two actually did cheat the restaurant.

Some people are really stupid, I applaude their capture... such a"holes....

And the comments here where where they say that tourism will suffer an negative effect because if this..... Such idiots there are really!!

Glegolo

post-104498-0-03141800-1442406009_thumb.

I will speculate on this on

I would surmise, 2 years ago, they argued over a obviously padded bill that they refused to pay while the owner refused to budge on the over pricing.

So, possibly, they said they did not have enough cash money and needed to go get some money from the Bank or ATM machine while the 2 New Zealanders never came back to pay the bill.

Or...they were drunk and did a "Dine and Dash"

Meantime how would the owner of the restaurant know the names and nationalities of those 2 particular patrons and why would he let them go in the first place.

I mean... just try not paying the bill at a Thai restaurant and see how far you will get after having a dispute about the bill.