New Zealand father and son arrested at Phuket Airport over Patong restaurant bill

webfact

Urinating in the street----running out without paying the check bin............I do believe the days of quality farang tourism are returning......hooray......

--------------

Did you hear about the Irishman who cheated the Chinese restaurant.....he ran out without eating his food......................coffee1.gif

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think everyone should read the review's on this place before commenting,2out of 3 that i read,cheated,very very unfreindly.

the first being 2yrs.ago must have been a bad yr.for them.

“A mixed experience, one that will take me some time to get over”

Please read this review from Sara, an Australian who stayed there with her two children in June 2015, she ended up getting arrested too, the owner is obvious big time mafia in Phuket and controls the corrupted Patong police. bah.gif

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297930-d575754-r292460506-Centara_Blue_Marine_Resort_and_Spa_Phuket-Patong_Kathu_Phuket.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Having guests arrested seems to be a part of their normal routine blink.png

Well listen Phuket is a no fly zone we all no that... Its only the unexperienced falang that <deleted> up there... Secondly the police are border line criminals there and look for any excuse to make a dollar off falang and Yes Yes they are fast gaining a bad rep and NO TOURISM is not UP LOL..... The brass can talk shit all day long the people are suffering... But they are not well schooled and you only need look at the calibre of men in this picture police hmmm are you sure check there badges.

YOU shopuld have paid the bill and not give these charcters a reason and yes the owner had a friend as it is rare to go to these measures, Although the bill was large

Yes you were robbed at the restaurant welcome home son

i think everyone should read the review's on this place before commenting,2out of 3 that i read,cheated,very very unfreindly.

Please read this review from Sara, an Australian who stayed there with her two children in June 2015, she ended up getting arrested too, the owner is obvious big time mafia in Phuket and controls the corrupted Patong police. bah.gif

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297930-d575754-r292460506-Centara_Blue_Marine_Resort_and_Spa_Phuket-Patong_Kathu_Phuket.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

And slowly the truth of the matter comes to light...

Since when is an arrest warrant issued for a dispute over a restaurant bill? It just does not rise to that level. Something here smells very fishy. I just read some reviews of this place. The owners sound like super freak tyrants, with no regard for their guests. Read Sara R's review. A lot of detail, about owner mismanagement. I could understand how these guys were overcharged, or served a terrible meal, and refused to pay. The restaurant did not get glowing reviews. And it is probably very overpriced.

Sounds like the owners are well connected. Thailand may be the only country in the world, where the owner can make a phone call, and a bank transfer, and get an arrest warrant issued. Shame on the government, the judge who issued the warrant, the police, and immigration for participating in this horrific charade. Another boil on the face of Thai tourism. The government just does not connect the dots.

The incident two years ago with the father and son seems to be under a different owner. Centara took over the place last year I believe, and the review you shared was very interesting indeed. I think when guests are threaten with arrest, its mostly because they threaten not to pay for the services and were being loud and impolite to the Thai staff (not saying the Thai staff were right in anyway). Its just the nature of Thais, they cannot deal with guests that are loud and impolite.

Seems like they retain the staff that were poorly trained from the previous owner. I've stayed at a couple of Centara hotels, as well as read TripAdvisor reviews, most were positive and staff performance was good. This hotel had a bad start due to the poor condition of the hotel when Centara bought it, they are still renovating it.

Nothing "retroactive" about it. The arrest warrant was issued in 2013 after they (allegedly) skipped on their bill. They returned in 2015 and were caught. No different than if a warrant was issued today but the suspect isn't caught until 2+ years later.

Unless you are trying to suggest that walking out on a restaurant bill isn't a scam but being arrested and held accountable for doing so is ?

Must have been a fairly substantial bill for the restaurant to file a complaint and an arrest warrant to be issued.

You are so wrong. This is Thailand where money buys these kind of things. Seriously, how about the guy who got blacklisted when he went toe to toe with a student who stole his writings and was blacklisted. The "student" had legal charges against himself and still managed to pay off an immigration official to blacklist the professor.

No way in hell does a person rack up a 15000 baht restaurant bill in Thailand unless hes at the top of the Conrad Hilton in BKK, it just isnt possible. And to blacklist a person for an "ALLEGED" crime, not substantiated is typical of the crazy tactics used in the country. Great example of the madness is the KT trial going on right now where the police are using DNA that does not match to try and convict innocent people.

You need to think about the whole picture before you spout off with your comments. They are incorrect.

While it is true bogus charges may be applied in Thailand, especially if you have connections. However, there is no proof this is the case here.

Well, now aren't we the big spender? I suppose you may be right if you go to a som tam stall, or order cao phat and drink water. However, have you ever done the Western Sunday brunch in some of the fancy hotels or restaurants? Four people could easily run up a bill of B15k. There are many nice local restaurants serving crab or lobster, or even whole suckling pig where the bill could easily reach B15k, especially if you bought a bottle of imported spirits or a few bottles of wine. Not everyone, especially tourists, lives on a shoestring, you know?

Since when is an arrest warrant issued for a dispute over a restaurant bill? It just does not rise to that level. Something here smells very fishy. I just read some reviews of this place. The owners sound like super freak tyrants, with no regard for their guests. Read Sara R's review. A lot of detail, about owner mismanagement. I could understand how these guys were overcharged, or served a terrible meal, and refused to pay. The restaurant did not get glowing reviews. And it is probably very overpriced.

Sounds like the owners are well connected. Thailand may be the only country in the world, where the owner can make a phone call, and a bank transfer, and get an arrest warrant issued. Shame on the government, the judge who issued the warrant, the police, and immigration for participating in this horrific charade. Another boil on the face of Thai tourism. The government just does not connect the dots.

My guess is that this probably not about money at all. The father and son probably did something that caused a loss of face. The warrant is payback.

Nothing "retroactive" about it. The arrest warrant was issued in 2013 after they (allegedly) skipped on their bill. They returned in 2015 and were caught. No different than if a warrant was issued today but the suspect isn't caught until 2+ years later.

Unless you are trying to suggest that walking out on a restaurant bill isn't a scam but being arrested and held accountable for doing so is ?

Must have been a fairly substantial bill for the restaurant to file a complaint and an arrest warrant to be issued.

You are so wrong. This is Thailand where money buys these kind of things. Seriously, how about the guy who got blacklisted when he went toe to toe with a student who stole his writings and was blacklisted. The "student" had legal charges against himself and still managed to pay off an immigration official to blacklist the professor.

No way in hell does a person rack up a 15000 baht restaurant bill in Thailand unless hes at the top of the Conrad Hilton in BKK, it just isnt possible. And to blacklist a person for an "ALLEGED" crime, not substantiated is typical of the crazy tactics used in the country. Great example of the madness is the KT trial going on right now where the police are using DNA that does not match to try and convict innocent people.

You need to think about the whole picture before you spout off with your comments. They are incorrect.

And you really need to get a clue before posting complete rubbish. I don't see where my comments are at all "incorrect" as you claim.

Are you claiming that the arrest warrant wasn't really issued in 2013 ? (I'm sure you have proof of that along with actual proof of Immigration officials being "paid off" to blacklist people.)

Are you claiming the 2 Kiwis didn't actually run up a tab at a restaurant in a Centara chain hotel and then skip out on it ?

You are claiming that it isn't possible to run up such a bill. Two people running up a 15,000 baht bill is no problem at all (unless you are someone who thinks the local food cart is "fashionable dining out"). Sheesh I've run up a 14,000 baht bill by myself (and that wasn't even at a fancy hotel) ! (The difference is, I paid my bill.)

And there is a difference between being "blacklisted" (after having 9 lawsuits filed against you whether justified or not) and having an outstanding warrant for your arrest logged into the computer system that comes up with a red flag if that person's passport is scanned. (It's really not that difficult to understand !)

The cases regarding the Professor and the KT trial have nothing to do with 2 people skipping out on a bill but I doubt that matters at all to you. (BTW - Even the agency that Supachai was director of acknowledged that they had revoked the letter he had sent to Immigration regarding the Professor. Apparently it takes more than revoking a letter to have a name removed from the list though. And note that the Professor had been freely travelling from/to Thailand "on his Thai passport" and only ran into a problem when he lost that passport and used his British one instead. That raises a few questions on it's own, none of which have to do with the subject of this thread.)

The MIBS look so proud ! A big catch like this ! It was worth taking a photo !

RI-DI-CU-LOUS

Yes, the whole thing is ridiculous. First that the police think they did something special and second that it could happen with just one side of the story being heard and so many years after the fact.

If the police actually did their jobs every day, they'd have several pictures taken every day, like for all those helmet fines they pass out or for issuing traffic tickets for all the kamikazes driving on every road in this country.

Its amazing that they are so proud and pose for pictures like this, just for doing their job. When they clean their desk or make their beds or wash their dishes after lunch, do they pose for pictures too?

And speaking of these guys who bailed on their bill, how does one know that these guys didn't pay cash and therefore no receipt or proof of payments and the hotel isn't just making up some story? Its possible. There are two sides to every story, but when the farang is overseas, I'm sure the police didn't think to consider their side of the story.

Everybody pays cash in Thailand because so many places don't accept credit cards, and how many of them give a receipt? And who would carry around with them every receipt for multiple purchases made every day from 2+ years ago. Isn't there a statute of limitations here? Usually for petty crimes like this, it would be a period shorter than 2 years.

I guess lesson to be learned here - always ask for a receipt for every purchase of everything you ever buy, especially with cash, and maybe ask a friend to take a photo of you receiving the receipt from the owner of the establishment, and then be sure to carry every one of those receipts with you everywhere you go for several years, amount of years still unknown.

My guess is that this probably not about money at all. The father and son probably did something that caused a loss of face. The warrant is payback.

I tend to agree. I've read several review of the hotel now, and many have had some terrible experiences in that place.

Obviously everyone should pay their bills but i dont see any jet ski thugs or big drug dealers being hauled in for photo ops.. They've all paid off the cops. The tourists get arrested for trivial matters.

Foreigners will always cop the full force of Thai law and money must change hands.

Tourists are such an easy target for the police and immigration. Pay now.

I am sorry leaving a restaurant without paying a 15.000 Baht bill is no trivial matter at all in my book. Same as shop lifting, same plague.

Some tourist were sent to prison for "trivial"shop lifting during winter or summer sales in London only for a few pounds, and yes I applauded clap2.gif

I think this is the place. Google images.

If so, I will avoid it at all cost because I also fear getting slapped with a 15K bill after having a few beers and a meal..... There is just NO way of a 15K restaurant bill for two.

Ahh, a new twist...

Our scams are now retroactive, with police support of course.

One more nail in the tourist coffin, Thailand. At least you've found some degree of consistency.

and you write this without even knowing if they are guilty or innocent of leaving without paying their bill?

Considering the history and the quarry, it looks like another squeeze play.

Food for thought; the way people are scrutinized when they leave Makro, Big C and other stores, with a 15k bill, do you really think the restaurant didn't have an eye on the table?

Since it is a resort don't you imagine they were staying there?

If they were staying at the resort, maybe they billed it to their room and didn't look closely at the bill that they paid at check out. Its up to the resort staff to get the bill from the restaurant to the front desk so that they could pay it. If its not added to the bill until hours after they checked out, that's the hotel's fault, not the guests' fault.

I had a look at some of the reviews in Trip Advisor. Yes a lot of bad ones of the hotel itself. Mostly dirty rooms & bad and "untruthful" staff????. Several said bad value for money. Bad reviews outnumber good ones and the first few are all GOOD! Interesting how several of the good ones mention meeting the charming and helpful GM and mention him by name. Funny that.........!!!!!!!!! Now if I was a suspicious type, I might think that they were fake "good" reviews.

See for yourself, but I won't take a chance based on the reviews. I live elsewhere in Thailand & have a daughter who lives in Phuket. I do visit her there & stay hotels, as we usually visit in a group and their home is not that big!!!!!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Hotel_Review-g297930-d575754-Reviews-Centara_Blue_Marine_Resort_and_Spa_Phuket-Patong_Kathu_Phuket.html

Nobody goes out of their way to write a review like this with out great reason. The court of public opinion has spoken. thumbsup.gif

Ahh, a new twist...

One more nail in the tourist coffin, Thailand. At least you've found some degree of consistency.

and you write this without even knowing if they are guilty or innocent of leaving without paying their bill?

Considering the history and the quarry, it looks like another squeeze play.

Food for thought; the way people are scrutinized when they leave Makro, Big C and other stores, with a 15k bill, do you really think the restaurant didn't have an eye on the table?

Since it is a resort don't you imagine they were staying there?

Yes, maybe they were staying at the resort, and maybe they did bill it to their room, and maybe the restaurant didn't get it to the front desk by the time the guests checked out. if they didn't, that's the resort's problem, not the guest. a guest shouldn't have to look at every itemized detail on a hotel bill to make sure they were properly billed for everything. most things on a hotel itemized invoice come as a surprise anyway, like the millions of taxes and small fees and other things that always unknowingly inflate most hotel bills.

Thai murderers, rapists, cop killers, tourist killing cops, jet ski scammers and murderous island mafiosi walk free mostly even without a slap on the wrist on a daily basis, but a foreign bill dodger (not saying that I approve what they have done, quite the contrary) is paraded in full public view like he is the next Jeffrey Dahmer... nice, tells a lot about LOS and gives the right signal to potential investors... Another day where I am shaking my head in sheer disbelieve.

I read the bill was for 15,000THB, using Oanda Coverter on Sept 2013 that was $467.00 US or $568.00 NZD.

One hell of a meal, something is wrong. Guess will we see !!

<snip>

PG reports it was 15,000 baht for food and beverage, so quite a substantial bill.

Would love to see a breakdown of the costs. 15K sounds like a considerable number of people attended. Would like to know the story behind the story.

Ahh, a new twist...

He writes it knowing that they are not Thais, so he defends them automatically. If he would know that the owner of restaurant who filed complain is farang as well, he would change his mind haha

Exactly, an inflated bill and that's why this restaurant has been previously accused of cheating customers. Another Thailand scam.

Some expensive wine and seafood could easily come to 15,000- lobster costs a fortune in Phuket

A man by the name of Brian Russell Finn has started up quite a number of companies in New Zealand only to be struck off. Reasons for being struck off usually are that you fail to file accounts and fail to pay your debts as and when due. Par for the course it seems.

Ahh, a new twist...

He writes it knowing that they are not Thais, so he defends them automatically. If he would know that the owner of restaurant who filed complain is farang as well, he would change his mind haha

Yep some members have this reflex.. if its a foreigner defend him, if he is from the same country defend him even more.

Not paying bills is serious for business owners and is basically just stealing and so they should be treated.

Archived