BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

New Zealand father and son arrested at Phuket Airport over Patong restaurant bill

A man by the name of Brian Russell Finn has started up quite a number of companies in New Zealand only to be struck off. Reasons for being struck off usually are that you fail to file accounts and fail to pay your debts as and when due. Par for the course it seems.

If its the same guy then it surely is a pattern and all those foreigners here defending his actions should be even more ashamed defending a career crook. Those guys are the worst just setting up businesses to defraud others.

There are a lot of posts stating that it would be near impossible to get a 15,000 baht bill for a restaurant meal.

Perhaps, they had guests for dinner. Maybe a couple of bar girls each.

Perhaps, the 15,000 baht bill was the total of having several meals in the restaurant, and charged to the room.

Perhaps, the bill was the total of a restaurant meal, room service, mini bar etc, over their holiday.

Perhaps they ordered a couple of 5000 baht bottles of wine.

Many ways to easily accumulate a 15,000 baht bill in food and beverage in a decent hotel, on Phuket.

That said, I am a little suspicious the bill comes to an "even" 15,000 baht.

There are a lot of posts stating that it would be near impossible to get a 15,000 baht bill for a restaurant meal.

Perhaps, the 15,000 baht bill was the total of having several meals in the restaurant, and charged to the room.

Perhaps, the bill was the total of a restaurant meal, room service, mini bar etc, over their holiday.

Many ways to easily accumulate a 15,000 baht bill in food and beverage in a decent hotel, on Phuket.

Agreed about the even 15.000 but that could be in the reporting. Racking up a 15.000 bt bill is quite possible if you eat a lot of lobster or prawn and add some wine.

You cannot say I'm going to the toilet and then use the back stairs to escape. whistling.gif

From "another" source:

"The two men agreed to pay the 15,000 baht bill, while the resort’s representative agreed to drop the charges after the money was received,” confirmed Capt Yingyong."

Obviously everyone should pay their bills but i dont see any jet ski thugs or big drug dealers being hauled in for photo ops.. They've all paid off the cops. The tourists get arrested for trivial matters.

Foreigners will always cop the full force of Thai law and money must change hands.

Tourists are such an easy target for the police and immigration. Pay now.

Picking the low hanging fruit. Come on now as the post above says lets get on to the more serious crimes. They are obviously innocent as there are is no finger pointing.

Agreed about the even 15.000 but that could be in the reporting. Racking up a 15.000 bt bill is quite possible if you eat a lot of lobster or prawn and add some wine.

I agree.

Between father and son at the table, that's 7,500 baht each. With pre-dinner drinks, entrees, mains (particularly steak and/or seafood by the kg), desserts, a bottle or two of even a cheaper wine, a cocktail or two after dinner, and don't forget, many of these hotels have "+ +" on the total bill (service charge and VAT) - there's 15,000 baht, easy done.

This is Phuket. biggrin.png

how can any of you lay blame with the restaurant or the kiwis. no one knows what happened? either could be at fault kiwis could have tried to do a runner, restaurant may have tried to scam them and refused to pay. add to this the unreliability of reporting that always presents articles in the most sensationalized way to get people to read them.

Loving the guys Christmas Jumper. Back right.

Like the one next to him " kick it like Granma--------"?

I agree.

Between father and son at the table, that's 7,500 baht each. With pre-dinner drinks, entrees, mains (particularly steak and/or seafood by the kg), desserts, a bottle or two of even a cheaper wine, a cocktail or two after dinner, and don't forget, many of these hotels have "+ +" on the total bill (service charge and VAT) - there's 15,000 baht, easy done.

This is Phuket. biggrin.png

Often go for holidays in the South of Thailand and been in Phuket, seen the prices so I know. Here in BKK its hard for me to rack a bill up like that. Unless of course its for a group or at one of the more exclusive restaurants. I am no foodie like some so bills like that are not the norm for me. But i know its quite possible.

...And to blacklist a person for an "ALLEGED" crime...

They were not blacklisted.

Removed some off-topic and other troll posts.

Some expensive wine and seafood could easily come to 15,000- lobster costs a fortune in Phuket

Not just Phuket ! I looked up some menus online and saw some lobster dishes going for 3,000 baht a shot. (Hmmm, 2 guys, 2 girls (maybe), maybe drinks, appetizers, desserts and a 3,000(+) baht lobster dinner each.) I see a 2014 article about a "seafood promotion" at the Flare Restaurant in the Hilton Hotel - lobster for only 1,200 baht/400 grams (3,000/kg). No idea what wine prices are like (or if they even ordered any).

Would be nice if they'd scanned and posted the original bill though. Hmmmmm......I wonder..

Nothing "retroactive" about it. The arrest warrant was issued in 2013 after they (allegedly) skipped on their bill. They returned in 2015 and were caught. No different than if a warrant was issued today but the suspect isn't caught until 2+ years later.

Unless you are trying to suggest that walking out on a restaurant bill isn't a scam but being arrested and held accountable for doing so is ?

Must have been a fairly substantial bill for the restaurant to file a complaint and an arrest warrant to be issued.

If they did indeed do a runner thats pretty slack.. I just don`t know how they will be able to prove that they didnt pay the bill.. unless there is video that shows them running out.

Posted 29 minutes ago

A man by the name of Brian Russell Finn has started up quite a number of companies in New Zealand only to be struck off. Reasons for being struck off usually are that you fail to file accounts and fail to pay your debts as and when due. Par for the course it seems.

If its the same guy then it surely is a pattern and all those foreigners here defending his actions should be even more ashamed defending a career crook. Those guys are the worst just setting up businesses to defraud others.

Got to be a bit careful - in my experience the main reason for a Company being struck off the NZ Companies Registrar is that the shareholder/director has failed to file an Annual Return (which merely confirms company address details, shareholder details etc.- quite separate from filing accounts).

Often a Company is incorporated but remains inactive or it ceases to trade and has no outstanding debt - not filing an annual return is an effective way of "closing" the company - the alternative is to have the Company liquidated - a far more costly proposition.

This story has been reported widely in the NZ media. If the father and son team are guilty of wilfully dodging a legit bill then, to my mind they are [email protected] kickers and deserve the embarrassment of being nicked and their faces published in the press., BUT....

if they are not guilty of these allegations, and certainly it looks like hotel owners may have some form (albeit based on guest reviews) of jacking up charges and then involving police in debt collection, then this is a disgrace.

In a country where defamation laws are so punitive it always surprises me that police and media are so quick to engage in a photo opportunity that definitely causes reputational damage (again - this presumes that they are innocent).

Disclosure: Am a kiwi