Live Theater "the Gate Theater Co."

chicagogato

Theater artist, director, producer looking for a good location to open a black box with around 40 to 50 seats. Nothing special, but would like to be in a nice location near one of the gates. Wishful thinking, I know!

Would need a high ceiling and about 25 feet of width. Needs to be inexpensive. Could probably afford about 6000 if there is decent space for building out a place to live as well.

Additionally, would like to hear from those artistically inclined who may be interested in taking part in any way. Thanks much, Chicago

Theater artist, director, producer looking for a good location to open a black box with around 40 to 50 seats. Nothing special, but would like to be in a nice location near one of the gates. Wishful thinking, I know!

Would need a high ceiling and about 25 feet of width. Needs to be inexpensive. Could probably afford about 6000 if there is decent space for building out a place to live as well.

Additionally, would like to hear from those artistically inclined who may be interested in taking part in any way. Thanks much, Chicago

AUA rent out their auditorium from time to time. It wouldn't be very expensive and would easily fit your size requirements.

If you go there you can ask for the director -John Gunther.

From what I've heard and seen, I think that there are several companies in existance in Chiang Mai already. I remember seeing a lot of advertisements for Voice Studio when they did Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Kad. You may want to contact them to find out what is happening already.

Thanks, but I already know about the Voice Studio and have spoken to the director Mr. Tiangchai over a year ago. I'm not looking to become a part of a community theater which focuses on the Thai community using Thai amateur caliber actors. I probably won't produce any musicals at all. I'm striving for a West End/off Broadway feel. If you could talk about those "several" other companies that might be very helpful to me though. Thanks

AUA rent out their auditorium from time to time. It wouldn't be very expensive and would easily fit your size requirements.

Thanks, good to know. Might serve well in the mean time, until I can find the place with the specs I'd like. Any idea on the number of seats? If it's a huge auditorium I'd just as soon give it a pass.

My whole point in having a 40 to 50 seat space is to remain intimate. It's a very different type of performance space for a different type of theater.

Thanks, good to know. Might serve well in the mean time, until I can find the place with the specs I'd like. Any idea on the number of seats? If it's a huge auditorium I'd just as soon give it a pass.

My whole point in having a 40 to 50 seat space is to remain intimate. It's a very different type of performance space for a different type of theater.

I think it would be about that size - it's certainly no Kad Theatre...

Hi,

I was a performing arts student in the UK. Can sing, and act, good at learning lines etc. What is the project?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Right now I have a few projects in mind. All with small casts of no more than 4 to 8 people. One of them is called "The Eight Reindeer Monologues" A black comedy about how Santa's reindeer all turned against him after he rapped Cupid and pimped out Rudolph. A nice cheery Christmas piece. Others are "The Dodo Bird", By Emanuel Fried, "The Confessional" By Tennessee Williams, and "No Place To Be Somebody" by Charles Gordon.

I will keep you posted when things start to pan out.

I think it would be about that size - it's certainly no Kad Theatre...

Right! Thanks much. I'm there tomorrow!

There is an empty building that had a club in it a bit east of Chiangmai gate or is it west, on the inside. Try west.

Pretty much a square front and may well have a high ceiling. Sort of a shoebox biggish but maybe not too much so maybe ideal.

Edited by sleepyjohn

There is an empty building that had a club in it a bit east of Chiangmai gate or is it west, on the inside. Try west.

Pretty much a square front and may well have a high ceiling. Sort of a shoebox biggish but maybe not too much so maybe ideal.

Hey Sleepyjohn,

Thanks for the info. I'll be checkin on that space as soon as I can get a day off. Thanks again!

A few months back there was a production of "The Vagina Monologues," staged here in Chiang Mai. I was unable to attend but am interested in knowing how it turned out. What was the level of production? Amateurish? Community theater? Professional quality? Here's your chance to be a drama critic.