Thai soldiers seize 'Anti-China' Falun Gong materials

webfact

Soldiers Seize 'Anti-China' Falun Gong Materials
By Khaosod English

14424811181442481315l.jpg
A soldier looks today looks through a van being used by Wattana Anuraksrithong and five other Falun Gong followers in Mae Hong Son province. They were briefly detained and had their pamphlets seized by soldiers concerned about their criticism of China.

MAE HONG SON — Six Falung Gong activists were briefly detained by soldiers in the north of Thailand today for carrying pamphlets deemed critical of China.

Soldiers stopped the group as they were traveling by van today in the Pai district of Mae Hong Son and confiscated their brochures, which introduce Falun Gong and criticize Beijing’s suppression of their faith, because they were concerned they might affect international relations.

The six campaigners – a Thai man and woman; an Akha woman, a Burmese woman, and two Chinese women – were briefly detained and later released. Soldiers kept their more than 600 pamphlets.

Wattana Anuraksrithong, who identified himself as leader of the group, said he assured the soldiers their literature was legal.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1442481118

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-09-17

I looked at some of their stuff when I was in USA. The people that gave it to me said Chinese officials suppressed them, but the actual materials were only about their beliefs and mostly related to meditation.

Suppression of Falun Gong in China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Falun_Gong

So will people be given re-education classes if they criticize China now also?

Nobody has been 're-educated' for criticism. I have seen many articles criticising the Junta in the press and none of them resulted in anyone being 'taken in'. The only offence I have heard anyone be taken in for is attempting to promote division in society which may incite red-shirts to more violence. They have stated this quite openly so people are in no doubt before they do it (except tact demands they don't mention red-shirts directly).

Why do you people keep spreading this lie ?.

In my view, this is an example of how simple human rights-- freedom of speech and freedom of assembly-- can be trampled into the dirt. The paranoia of China's ruling party is being exported to other countries now. The West is certainly not blameless in this regard, either. Ultimately these efforts will fail-- they are on the wrong side of history-- but in the meantime there will be many, many victims.

Please speak up and act for justice (which after all is the quickest path to peace) whenever possible.

Nobody has been 're-educated' for criticism. I have seen many articles criticising the Junta in the press and none of them resulted in anyone being 'taken in'. The only offence I have heard anyone be taken in for is attempting to promote division in society which may incite red-shirts to more violence. They have stated this quite openly so people are in no doubt before they do it (except tact demands they don't mention red-shirts directly).

For the same reason you pass off what you say as fact without offering a shred of evidence other than government statements?

"... none of them resulted in anyone being 'taken in'."

In my view, you truly are either living in a bubble, or in the grips of a delusional state.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/14/thai-junta-detains-journalist-pravit-rojanaphruk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/monitoring/thai-media-under-the-junta-a-politicsfree-zone

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-thai-junta-vs-the-press-1436918817

Ooops there goes another freedom of opinion, about China it seems now ? No doubt its quite a lucrative position to take for the Junta.

Perhaps we will see attitude camp adjustment exchange programs soon too.

Human rights and freedom of opinion here are dropping like flies.

Let's ger real here.

Thailand can be controlled by some Chinese bloke in a suit, or a Thai-Thai bloke in an army uniform. But at the end of the day, it boils down to something similar. Don't antagonise Beijing.

post-90851-0-20976000-1442510969_thumb.j

Why don't you stop posting drivel and open your eyes for once.

Did Pravit "promote division"???

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Nation-writer-politicians-let-go-after-signing-pac-30268876.html

Come to think of it, don't bother replying because I know what your answer will be anyway.

Beijing doesn't oppress Falun Gong for any ideological reason. But the one thing that all authoritarian regimes hate is any organization that has the ability to organize a population outside of it's control, or worse their knowledge.

I remember one incident when I lived in China when Falun Gong managed to bring out 10,000 supporters into Tiananmen Square, totally blind sighting the authorities. That kind of ability to organize terrifies the bejesus out of them.

The current Thai regime in actuality, despite all the nonsense that gets written here, has very little in the way of shared ideology or interests with Beijing; but what they do share is that authoritarian fear of counter revolution and anything or anyone that has the ability to spread ideas outside of their control

Archived