No more Out/In stamps on Thai-Cambo border - for anyone

Jonathan Fairfield

My concern is that I and many others are being buffeted by constantly changing visa regulations due to people abusing them.

How so?

I don't see how things get harder for you if you're not one of the ones 'abusing' visa waivers.

Actually on the example of visa waivers, the rules have improved over time, e.g. G7 countries getting 30 days instead of 15, and then later on the ability to extend them 30 days instead of 7.

I don't even think there is any 'abuse' of visa waivers here, the only issue is whether or not IOs think you're working illegally here. That's what IOs want to avoid, not the act of people getting lots of visa waivers in and of itself.

Also IOs are putting people under extra scrutiny after the bombing.

If you're not a terrorist, or working illegally, how have things gotten harder for you?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So trying to find the up to date info and getting more on Brazil than the local borders I have to ask,

Can some one please sum up what is happening and maybe if easy to understand, pin it?,

In/outs folks who need to do this are not same as backpacking/traveling Asia. So are land borders still giving 15/30(G7) Visa exempt stamps to trvellers who have been out of LOS for some time, or more than one day for some who ask?.

So just to help me plan ahead, when I return to Thailand overland after being elsewhere for few months (is there a specified time to be away) is it still ok and will get Visa Exempt at some/all borders or do I now need Transit?tourist visa?

Thanks in Advance!

My concern is that I and many others are being buffeted by constantly changing visa regulations due to people abusing them.

How so?

I don't see how things get harder for you if you're not one of the ones 'abusing' visa waivers.

Actually on the example of visa waivers, the rules have improved over time, e.g. G7 countries getting 30 days instead of 15, and then later on the ability to extend them 30 days instead of 7.

I don't even think there is any 'abuse' of visa waivers here, the only issue is whether or not IOs think you're working illegally here. That's what IOs want to avoid, not the act of people getting lots of visa waivers in and of itself.

Also IOs are putting people under extra scrutiny after the bombing.

If you're not a terrorist, or working illegally, how have things gotten harder for you?

Even if you're not an abuser but just a tourist with a multiple entry visa you had a big problem when they closed the cambo border. They wouldn't stamp anybody at all and i still don't know if that's changed allready.

Also it's not easy to get a multiple tourist visa and suddenly they changed the rules again and now everybody can get a 6 months visa (is what i learned on TV).

I still don't know if it's official though.

Same with "closing Thailand", there are many people selling their house abroad to live here with their thai wife but i bet they are sweating now.

Or those westerners with a 50/50 % company to buy a house here, those rules are also gonna change one day and then they have nothing.

The whole problem is you never know where you're up to in Thailand. Now this general tells us his rules but in a few years it might totally change again. I wouldn't put my future on them and always keep a plan B in my backpocket.

"closing Thailand" and then even nobody knows what he means or dares to ask what it means. This is putting many investors off, better invest in a more reliable country.

A more reliable country. In Asia, forget it unless maybe Singapore. I've done business in Cambodia and looking at Philis. Loads of ifs and buts and absent paperwork for non locals.

But re the border, have had reports Cambo to LOS ok and giving 30/15 day Exempt stamp to travelers. So good so far there!

Does anyone know the current status of this issue?

If i go to Poipet with a double entry tourist visa, will I be able to cross to Cambodia for a few minutes, and come back to Thailand on my 2nd entry? If not, how long do I have to stay outside before I'm allowed to come back?

Archived