No more Out/In stamps on Thai-Cambo border - for anyone

Jonathan Fairfield

Decisions seem to be taken without justification or explanation, leaving everyone puzzled.

Are there any media left to ask WHY is the Cambo border suddenly shut?

Or are we definitely in a dictatorship were a deranged person can just make arbitrary decisions ?

I don't think this has anything to do with the government giving orders instructing them to do this, I honestly believe it is an internal spat and these particular officials are making a statement - which basically ammounts to - if we cannot continue to take backhanders then we will mess things up at these crossings - plus the departmental accusations that are going on between the police and immigration one accusing the other of corruption lol

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decisions seem to be taken without justification or explanation, leaving everyone puzzled.

Or are we definitely in a dictatorship were a deranged person can just make arbitrary decisions ?

I don't think this has anything to do with the government giving orders instructing them to do this, I honestly believe it is an internal spat and these particular officials are making a statement - which basically ammounts to - if we cannot continue to take backhanders then we will mess things up at these crossings - plus the departmental accusations that are going on between the police and immigration one accusing the other of corruption lol

Exactly. This saga is due to the immigration chappies losing face for having taken bribes and been publicly reprimanded. They have of course thrown their toys out of the pram and are behaving like vengeful spoiled children. Did anybody expect a different outcome? Prayuth has some learning to do on the subject of face, and the consequences of making an (very important person wearing a uniform)underling lose it. He demonstrates a poor understanding of the very essence of Thainess that he wants the world to respect and admire.

Exactly. This saga is due to the immigration chappies losing face for having taken bribes and been publicly reprimanded. They have of course thrown their toys out of the pram and are behaving like vengeful spoiled children. Did anybody expect a different outcome? Prayuth has some learning to do on the subject of face, and the consequences of making an (very important person wearing a uniform)underling lose it. He demonstrates a poor understanding of the very essence of Thainess that he wants the world to respect and admire.

yes exactly, but the irony is that it was the outgoing chief of police that kicked it off not the PM, ironic that we have the police accusing the immigration of corruption .....figure that one out lol

Is it correct that all this BS inconveniencing hundred or thousands of farang is simply a spite game between government officials because one caused the other to lose face ?.

Because there is no way this could be considered a security measure to stop bombers getting in.

Who would EVER make a firm commitment for investment or business to this country when they change the rules on a personal whim like this ?. Why are individuals allowed to make policy decisions ?.

Prayuth needs to knock some heads together and keep clear of all the sawdust which will come out.

I'd say that knocking of the heads needs to start at the top and work down ...

Another silly knee-jerk reaction, from a silly knee-jerk government.

Changing the rules in this way without giving people some advance notice is as ridiculous as it is cruel. People with valid visas taking a short trip to a neighbouring country finding themselves stuck at the border with nowhere to stay.

Shameful.

Changing the rules in this way without giving people some advance notice is as ridiculous as it is cruel. People with valid visas taking a short trip to a neighbouring country finding themselves stuck at the border with nowhere to stay.

Shameful.

Take a gratuitous swipe at the current administration by all means - but you should have been around long enough to know that such changes/reactions are not a new phenomenon.

There must be lots of people with 1 year non immigrant O visas.

"O" = other = married, retired,...., NOT tourism.

Every 3 months they must do an out / in.

Now what?

Why do an in out, i was on a non O marriage I never left the country just did a 90 day report.

Reply to Chrisinth.

Yes you are right! I discovered this only recently.

We went to immigration in Chanthaburi - nice people, but they too were unaware of this.

They phoned BKK, and I got my extension.

So, 3 months stay + 2 months extension for being married (or have child), price 1.900 baht.

No need to offer tea to the Cambodians, no need to take a risk of out / in.

My schedule has changed..... from 6 months / 6 months it will now be 5 /7.

As a matter of interest, did you have to do or were asked to do 90 day reporting when you used this method (90 + 60) at immigration? Or does the 60 day extension act as the reporting point for that entry? I know that may sound stupid on a single or multi-entry non-O visa, but you would have been in Thailand longer than 90 days.

Just curious, i am in country on an extension of stay and have never used the above.

When I got my 2 months extension, the immigration officer did not mention any formal (as in filling in a proper form)reporting.

But they did ask for my address.

Shameful.

Take a gratuitous swipe at the current administration by all means - but you should have been around long enough to know that such changes/reactions are not a new phenomenon.

Eh? There's nothing gratuitous about statement of fact.

1) Knee-jerk reaction because it appears to be in response to the bombings, while terrorists are generally well financed and don't need to do border runs. They can easily fly in and out.

2) Silly reaction, because this arbitrary and pointless change should have been properly communicated in advance, so as not to risk stranding some bona-fide day tripping people at the border. Just because this kind of thing may have happened in the past (although I don't recall them ever turning people away with valid visas) doesn't make it less silly on this occasion.

3) Silly government because this is just another example of the litany of screw ups and arbitrary decisions that they have made since grabbing power, micromanaging irrelevancies while the economy goes down the gurgler.

Shameful.

And why on earth do they make you leave the country after 30 days when you have a 60 day tourist visa???

Why not just issue 60 day tourist visas?

Now what?

Why do an in out, i was on a non O marriage I never left the country just did a 90 day report.

No you were not.....

You were on an extension of your non imm O visa.

You got that extension IN Thailand, with either money in the bank or income letter.

That extension requires 90 day reporting (without out / in).

I am talking about the many people who yearly travel home to Farangland, and yearly get a 1 year non imm O visa in their home country.

That requires an out / in every 90 days. (much to the delight of the Cambodian tea drinkers).

yes exactly, but the irony is that it was the outgoing chief of police that kicked it off not the PM, ironic that we have the police accusing the immigration of corruption .....figure that one out lol

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this isn't the result aimed for by the outgoing top rozzer. After all, what better job for a retired senior policeman than heading up some sort of commission or other body tasked with investigating and sorting out corruption and malpractice in the immigration operation?

Of course "sorting out" in this context may well mean opportunities!

Shameful.

And why on earth do they make you leave the country after 30 days when you have a 60 day tourist visa???

Why not just issue 60 day tourist visas?

We do not have to leave the country after 30 days with a 60 day tourist visa, actually those 60 days can be extended for 30 days (all) or 60 days (married, child).

Unless they change that too overnight of course.

Oooooh, the criminals who populate Thai Visa are in a tizzy. Their system of using the visa-free 30-day stay, pretending to be "tourists" (oh, puh-leez!!) to live (and, let's face it, work, via the internet, etc.) as ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS is OVER.

Excuse me if I don't shed any crocodile tears for you all.

I would also propose that there's a direct correlation between those bitching about losing their prime method of illegal immigration with those who bitch about illegal immigrants (or maybe all immigrants...especially the brown-skinned and Muslim ones) in their own country.

Payback's a bitch, isn't it, bitches?

why are they choosing to make no changes to crossing the borders with Laos and Malaysia ?

Because they haven't let any bombers in through there ...................yet

Perhaps, but not entirely sure about that, regarding the Malaysia border.

After all, let's not forget the story de jour prior to the BKK bombing, and that was the human trafficking camps and deaths along the Thai-Malaysian border, and the various state officials allegedly on the payroll of traffickers to turn a blind eye to and/or enable their activities.

Gotta believe the local Immigration folks there had a role to play in those kinds of activities.

There also were the various bombings in Southern Thailand, the Central Festival Samui earlier this year among them, that have never been solved, AFAIK.

I hadn't really thought about it before, until you mentioned it. But amid all the fuss over the BKK bombings and how Immigration XXXXX-ed up on that one at the Cambodia border, there really hasn't been any recent mention of the OTHER border problems lately.

One might well be able to make a reasonable argument that the issues that allowed the abuses and corruption to occur on the southern border are simply being mirrored on the Cambodia border in the latest episode.

They just want that you stay at least 1 day abroad between 2 stays.

And you have gotten confirmation from immigration on this. I highly doubt it.

Maybe "a few" if not only "one", but the idea is that 2-entry Tourist Visa and Visa Exemption entry have never been intended to use for continuous stay. You are supposed to *travel* in another country before coming back.

Source, please. Or maybe better not, since you obviously plucked this from your a*us...

Getting really tedious seeing all this mention of 'genuine tourists'. Just where in the Thai Immigration Police Orders does it define 'genuine tourist'?

Just more elitist 'I got my visa, na-na-na-nana' bullshark.

Thai officials are stupid & corrupt so this is the mess you get when they have no gumption or self control & only worship the $ . I think only way this country likely see required change to government, police, military, immigration, legal services is to first enhance complete collapse & extreme hardship may change attitudes & opinions ...

The hardship is already there for many small business providers in the tourism industry.

In Thai Visa at the moment are indeed offered many shops (bars, hotels, restaurants, other) for sale.

The harsh truth is that what is best for the tourist industry does not jibe with what is best for the safety of the country. Also, maybe they want to make it more difficult for people living in Thailand who do so with no visa. Why they would deny people with valid visas is anyone's guess but...again, maybe they don't want tourists staying here for years without doing so "legally." I'm just guessing but in the end, it will probably boil down to money. Those willing to pay get to stay, those who don't or who can't, go elsewhere.

Now what?

They don't have to leave the country if they have the proper visa. I had the O based on marriage for years. Now I have the retirement and report once a year. Those that have to leave every 3 months shouldn't be here or accept they are tourists.

It is a proper visa, sold by a proper Thai embassy - if I remember well, 120 euro.

This visa is explicitly NOT issued for tourism purposes. It is issued for married or retired foreigners.

It's like talking to a block of wood. Just another self-important pr*ck, who thinks he is the sole arbiter of who is and isn't allowed into Thailand. Nevermind the law...

Oooooh, the criminals who populate Thai Visa are in a tizzy. Their system of using the visa-free 30-day stay, pretending to be "tourists" (oh, puh-leez!!) to live (and, let's face it, work, via the internet, etc.) as ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS is OVER.

I would also propose that there's a direct correlation between those bitching about losing their prime method of illegal immigration with those who bitch about illegal immigrants (or maybe all immigrants...especially the brown-skinned and Muslim ones) in their own country.

Are you trolling, or did you just simply not read the thread?

We are NOT talking about the abuse of visa exempt entries.

We are talking about out/ in by people with valid visas, such as multiple tourist visa or 1 year non imm O visa.

Thai officials are stupid & corrupt so this is the mess you get when they have no gumption or self control & only worship the $ . I think only way this country likely see required change to government, police, military, immigration, legal services is to first enhance complete collapse & extreme hardship may change attitudes & opinions ...

The hardship is already there for many small business providers in the tourism industry.

In Thai Visa at the moment are indeed offered many shops (bars, hotels, restaurants, other) for sale.

The harsh truth is that what is best for the tourist industry does not jibe with what is best for the safety of the country. Also, maybe they want to make it more difficult for people living in Thailand who do so with no visa. Why they would deny people with valid visas is anyone's guess but...again, maybe they don't want tourists staying here for years without doing so "legally." I'm just guessing but in the end, it will probably boil down to money. Those willing to pay get to stay, those who don't or who can't, go elsewhere.

QUOTES:

1/ maybe they want to make it more difficult for people living in Thailand who do so with no visa

2/ maybe they don't want tourists staying here for years without doing so "legally."

Oh dear.

Another troll? Another one who did not read the thread before reacting?

I cannot believe what I am reading !

Or do I misunderstand??

So just because the idiots taking bribes at borders have been caught red handed and publicly shamed, since the bombing, they decided to throw a massive tantrum and close everything ???

This surreal lol... I am not believing what I am writing

Can they actually do that?

Like take that type of decision affecting two countries ... alone???

Aren't we lead by an almighty leader called Prayuth??

Or does he allow all this??

As of next month, you can only enter the kingdom if wearing a blue hat, and exit only on the 2nd full moon of aquarius. And it again will be your own fault if you don't know the rules. But the week after that, it will be unlimited out/ins for Russians, or Chinese, or whatever wild reaction to some event is.

I never understand why non-Thai who wish to live/work in Thailand follows the rule. In/Out border runs are just rediculous. Go somewhere else people, We do not want those who break the law (even the definition for 'breaking the law' is in the gray zone).

We are not welcome those phedophile who pray on valunerable Thai and those who can not get it up with their own kind, had to come to Thailand to get a blow job, very pity indeed. I have no sympathy for those who are robbed by lady boys or some prostitutes on the street. Living or retiring in Thailand is not that cheap (if you want to have the same standrad of living as in your own country) so stay home and just visiting Thailand, 30 days max.

wait...people who do out/ins are pedophiles now? thanks for the alert! let's meet up somewhere and chase down people in the street we think may be pedophiles, too.

Is it correct that all this BS inconveniencing hundred or thousands of farang is simply a spite game between government officials because one caused the other to lose face ?.

Because there is no way this could be considered a security measure to stop bombers getting in.

Who would EVER make a firm commitment for investment or business to this country when they change the rules on a personal whim like this ?. Why are individuals allowed to make policy decisions ?.

Prayuth needs to knock some heads together and keep clear of all the sawdust which will come out.

I should have thought that you, as one of the more rabid junta groupies, would have been prepared to take the rough with the rougher. Believe me, this lot are capable of anything because of the lack of checks and balances. In the long run we could all find our stay here threatened by a sudden edict from on high.

And I'm pretty sure that based on your post which gives me a good indication on the type of individual you are that no-one will be shedding any real tears long after you're gone, from earth that is.

Please confirm

Does this include 12 month multi entry Marriage VISA ?

Our just tourist VISA your reporting is not very well informed

ANYONE means BORDER is closed down right

Thanks

Who do you ask for confirmation?

The OP is a global moderator, speaking on behalf of Thaivisa.com.

I do not think he speaks lightly.

But of course he has no legal authority.

Those who do have legal authority however are rather silent...

But no doubt, they will soon come up with another confusing statement.

And I'm pretty sure that based on your post which gives me a good indication on the type of individual you are that no-one will be shedding any real tears long after you're gone, from earth that is.

Anybody who writes about criminals, or the dreaded red shirts, or that nonsense here, is old and retired and bitter :) we all know it when we see it.

Archived