Border Run Alternatives

Can you fly to Mae sai? Is there a airport there?

Chiang Rai aka Ma Fa Luang Int Airport is only an hour south of frontier.

Coach from C Rai only a few $$s i think 80-90 bahts hourly from town centre old station next night market or new out of town bus sta.

Wangcome Hotle run a minivan C Rai town to airport around 100 -120 last time i went

http://www.wangcome.com/

Lion Air ,Asia, Nok from Don Muang or Thai from Swampy fares 500-3500 most days Lion or Nok cheapest flight under 2 hrs ,

Please Note very few taxis at Airport none most days can order or likely cheaper faster easier rent a car .

iIget mine from autoeurope.ie for hallf local rate same cars eg 550-600 per day 4 door saloons 1k plus 4x4

You can of course get a $20 'sleeper" all the way from Mor Chit leave you c 2km s of the Immi rive frontier loads of tuktuks .Can turn around in 20 mins if arrive early open 0630 thai time last visit,)600 Myanmar time lack of runners mean farang lane no queue.Myanamr ask 'shopping" mean just turn around not go Kwnetung etc, they now just stamp one small chop

many nice dis fom 500 with air sat in c rai e.g sdiamond park,jamsom,orchid all near jrt yod strip and cafes night marrket

wangcome is ok for 1500-2k

Thanks for the information. wai.gif

Can you fly to Mae sai? Is there a airport there?

Chiang Rai aka Ma Fa Luang Int Airport is only an hour south of frontier.

Coach from C Rai only a few $$s i think 80-90 bahts hourly from town centre old station next night market or new out of town bus sta.

Wangcome Hotle run a minivan C Rai town to airport around 100 -120 last time i went

http://www.wangcome.com/

Lion Air ,Asia, Nok from Don Muang or Thai from Swampy fares 500-3500 most days Lion or Nok cheapest flight under 2 hrs ,

Please Note very few taxis at Airport none most days can order or likely cheaper faster easier rent a car .

iIget mine from autoeurope.ie for hallf local rate same cars eg 550-600 per day 4 door saloons 1k plus 4x4

You can of course get a $20 'sleeper" all the way from Mor Chit leave you c 2km s of the Immi rive frontier loads of tuktuks .Can turn around in 20 mins if arrive early open 0630 thai time last visit,)600 Myanmar time lack of runners mean farang lane no queue.Myanamr ask 'shopping" mean just turn around not go Kwnetung etc, they now just stamp one small chop

many nice dis fom 500 with air sat in c rai e.g sdiamond park,jamsom,orchid all near jrt yod strip and cafes night marrket

wangcome is ok for 1500-2k

Thanks for the information. wai.gif

Unless you have a valid visa to use for the crossing you should not bother making the trip.

If you want a visa exempt entry you might not even be allowed to do the crossing. See my OP for info.

What is the quickest option from Hua Hin?

No where is going to to be close by.

Mae Sot is the closest I think. After that perhaps Rangoon.

The quickest would be to arrange a flight form Bangkok to one of places mentioned in the topic.

There is also the train sooth to Hat Yai..and then Pedang Baser.

Ranong is a option from HH, approx 4.5 hours by car,

I spoke with Ranong Immi this morning, it is ok to activate the 2nd part of a Double Entry TV there, you must show 20,000 Baht and a onward ticket out of Thailand

Iam planning to go there on 30th September if things do not change, see my post in the HH Forum about this

If you don't have your own wheels, It'd be best to find a travel agency for the visa-run transport service.

Otherwise you'd book a Phuket-bound bus and get off at Ranong. I don't know about the timetable,

though. OR you'd have to hop on a mini-van for Prachuap Khiri Khan (about 1.5hrs), where you can

change mini-vans for Chumphon (about 2hrs), where you can change again for Ranong (about 2hrs).

These mini-vans run very frequently, at least once an hour or even once a half hour, depending upon

the time of the day. You can also spend a night in Chumphon and then head to Ranong the following

morning.

FYI, I know a Dutch couple who have been living in Thailand for more than 1 year now. They're on

their 3rd double-entry TV now. Last time they went to Ranong to activate their 2nd entry on their 2nd

double-entry TV, they were told by the IO not to come back there to activate their 2nd entry anymore

and to go to one of the other border crossings instead.

I have a non o marraige this will be my first 90 day so if i go to Ranong do i have to stay over or just get stamped and how do they compare to Kanchanaburi for the payment

I missed that you were married to a Thai before.

You could get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife. She would have to go with you when you apply. You will need marriage certificate and copies of your wife's ID card and house book.

If your permit to stay is ending over the weekend you would not be charged an overstay if you get the extension on Monday.

Ubon Joe,

I am in the same situation - multiple entry Non O (marriage) and this will be my first 90 days as well.

My wife is bed-ridden (major operation) so I presume that rules out the 60 day extension ?

Do I just go to Kap Choeng, cross the border and then re-enter or do I have to overnight ?

All the farang I know in my area have said they have been unsuccessful with on-line reporting via the Kap Choeng office - has anyone else had any success ?

Cheers,

BB

I have a non o marraige this will be my first 90 day so if i go to Ranong do i have to stay over or just get stamped and how do they compare to Kanchanaburi for the payment

I missed that you were married to a Thai before.

You could get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife. She would have to go with you when you apply. You will need marriage certificate and copies of your wife's ID card and house book.

If your permit to stay is ending over the weekend you would not be charged an overstay if you get the extension on Monday.

Ubon Joe,

I am in the same situation - multiple entry Non O (marriage) and this will be my first 90 days as well.

My wife is bed-ridden (major operation) so I presume that rules out the 60 day extension ?

Do I just go to Kap Choeng, cross the border and then re-enter or do I have to overnight ?

All the farang I know in my area have said they have been unsuccessful with on-line reporting via the Kap Choeng office - has anyone else had any success ?

Cheers,

BB

They might make an exception since your wife is unable to travel to be with you when you apply for the extension. A letter from her doctor should be enough.

You can do a crossing at Chong Choem to Cambodia and then come right back to get new 90 day entry from your visa. There is no requirement to stay overnight.

If you have a visa that only allows a stay of 90 days you do not need to do a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

whistling.gif It is entirely possible to FLY from Bangkok to Vientianne or Savannakhet. from Bangkok by Lao Air as there is a daily flight from Swampy to both these places.

You will need to stay at least one night as the Lao Air flight does not leave Swampy until 12: 30 so will arrive to late to submit your visa application that same day.

You can get a Lao visa on arrival at both places in the airport.

Yes, of course, there is a visa fee for that Lao visa.

There are many relatively cheap but clean hotels in both places you can book.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I dont know if i understand you correctly does that mean i do a extension of stay for 60 days then do a border after 90 and repeat ťhus everytime

Every time you enter with your Non 'O' you get a stay of 90 days. Because you are married you can extend that 90 day stay by 60 days.

Towards the end of your 90 days you can apply for the 60 day extension. You can apply anytime within the last 30 days of the 90 days, and the extension will start at the end of the 90 days regardless of how early you apply. With some planning of dates and use of extensions you can make a multi non 'O' last a few months longer and possibly do less border runs.

How much do these 60 day extensions cost?

No i just got my multiple entry non o marraige 3 months ago so i need to do my first 90 day stamp. I got my visa in Savannakhet.

Just go to local Immigration for your 90-check-in.

Your visa is for a year right?

Nonsense!

A multi-entry "O" visa provides 90 day entries.

The holder of such a visa is required to leave the country every 90 days and return for a new 90 day entry.

Doing a"90 day check in" at immigration is NOT an option for the holder of a multi-entry "O" visa based on marriage.

• Thanks 1

No i just got my multiple entry non o marraige 3 months ago so i need to do my first 90 day stamp. I got my visa in Savannakhet.

Your visa is for a year

Nonsense!

The holder of such a visa is required to leave the country every 90 days and return for a new 90 day entry.

Doing a"90 day check in" at immigration is NOT an option for the holder of a multi-entry "O" visa based on marriage.

K states he has a "non-O" visa.

You reference an "O" visa.

Nonsense ya?

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quote
  • Confused 1

It does seem a bit strange - if the on-line reporting actually worked you would not need to leave the country every 90 days, if you use the postal option you do not have to leave the country every 90 days but if you travel to the nearest IO (which happens to be on the border) you have to enter and exit country every 90 days.

Am I missing something ?

Cheers,

BB

Your visa is for a year

Nonsense!

K states he has a "non-O" visa.

You reference an "O" visa.

Nonsense ya?

There is no difference between just saying a "O" visa and non-o. It is still the same visa.

The true nonsense is the confusion caused by people calling an extension a visa. That is what happened to you.

You only need to make a 90 day report if you stay longer than 90 days. You can only do that if you are on an extension or a visa (for example a OA) that allows one year entries.

A multiple entry non-o visa only slows a 90 day entry which means a person must leave and re-enter the country every 90 days.

• Like 2

It does seem a bit strange - if the on-line reporting actually worked you would not need to leave the country every 90 days, if you use the postal option you do not have to leave the country every 90 days but if you travel to the nearest IO (which happens to be on the border) you have to enter and exit country every 90 days.

Am I missing something ?

Cheers,

BB

A report of staying longer than 90 days is only needed if you cam stay that long. That report can be made online, by mail or in person. No need to leave the country unless you want to.

A multiple entry non-o visa only allows a stay of 90 days so it is not possible to stay longer than 90 days unless you apply for an extension of stay.

Thanks for the clarification UJ.

So who is the reporting (on-line, postal or personal) applicable to ?

Am I correct that for the 60 day extension I still have to go to the IO (eg. Kap Choeng) but do not have to cross the border ?

Cheers,

BB

Edited by Ballbearing

Am I correct that for the 60 day extension I still have to go to the IO (eg. Kap Choeng) but do not have to cross the border ?

Cheers,

BB

If you had a one year extension of stay or were able to do consecutive shorter extensions you would do 90 day reports.

You will apply for the 60 day extension at your local immigration office.

Since you can only do one 60 day extension per entry it would not require doing a 90 day report because the extension application is considered a report.

Morning,

Never been on an extension of stay, always Multi 0 'Visa' so leave Thailand and re-enter for the next 90 days etc.

A couple of days before the 'Visa' expires I do the the same and get another 90 so for the past few years each 'Visa' has covered me for almost 15 months.

If the circumstances didn't suit, or whatever, at the end of the last 90 entry, ie at the end of the 15 months is it possible to get the 60 day extension at Imm', (1900 baht) bearing in mind that the Multi 0 'Visa' has actually expired 3 months before or is that expiry date irrelevant ?

If possible it would mean almost 17 months between each 'Visa'

Morning,

Never been on an extension of stay, always Multi 0 'Visa' so leave Thailand and re-enter for the next 90 days etc.

A couple of days before the 'Visa' expires I do the the same and get another 90 so for the past few years each 'Visa' has covered me for almost 15 months.

If the circumstances didn't suit, or whatever, at the end of the last 90 entry, ie at the end of the 15 months is it possible to get the 60 day extension at Imm', (1900 baht) bearing in mind that the Multi 0 'Visa' has actually expired 3 months before or is that expiry date irrelevant ?

You can apply for the 60 day extension if you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child for the last entry from your visa or any of the others.

The visas expiration date (enter before date) is just the last day you can do an entry using the visa. It does not limit the amount of time you can be in the country.

• Like 2

Morning,

You can apply for the 60 day extension if you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child for the last entry from your visa or any of the others.

The visas expiration date (enter before date) is just the last day you can do an entry using the visa. It does not limit the amount of time you can be in the country.

Ubon can i aplly for a 60 days extension after a border run or only after a non O visa ?

Edited by thai006

Morning,

Yes you can do a 60 (married or have child) or 30 day extension at the end of any entry. Also, if you use extensions during the first 12 months you can also do one less border run.

Typically someone has 5 stays of 90 days and has to do 4 border runs giving about 15 months.

• (90) exit (90) exit (90) exit (90) exit (90) new visa

If they extend the first three 90 day stays by 30 days and then extend the final entry by 60 or 30 days they've got nearly 17 or 16 months for only 3 border runs.

• (90+30) exit (90+30) exit (90+30) exit (90+60/30) new visa.

If someone is married or has a child I think 3 x 4 month stays followed by a 5 month stay is the best option, but as the cost of 30 and 60 day extensions is the same (1,900) they could apply for 60 days each time, which gives several other combinations of stays between each exit.

• Like 1

That is puzzling me also. I know two people with some sort of a business visa set up that go out of country every 90 days and only have to renew every 15 months.

If they are here to live permanently will the government continue to allow 90 day visa runs for ever?

That is puzzling me also. I know two people with some sort of a business visa set up that go out of country every 90 days and only have to renew every 15 months.

If they are here to live permanently will the government continue to allow 90 day visa runs for ever?

As long as those people have multi-entry visa the must and will be allowed to leave and return every 90 days.

For some it is the only option because, for whatever reason, they do not qualify for an extension of stay.

Northernjohn.

I do multi 0 because my wife works O and G contract 6 days a week and we go somewhere for a few days every three months and she gets a break from work. I do sometimes work and have never had a problem with getting a WP. I also enjoy the long weekend from work. 3 or 4 days on a different beach or nice hotel is good.

If I can I will stay on a Multi 0 as long as I can, if not I'll go for retirement extension and join the great unwashed in a crowded office every three months, but only if I have to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers,

BB

If you had a one year extension of stay or were able to do consecutive shorter extensions you would do 90 day reports.

Since you can only do one 60 day extension per entry it would not require doing a 90 day report because the extension application is considered a report.

UJ,

Thank you once again for your assistance.

What do I require to take with me to IO for the 60 day extension (in addition to a letter from my wifes doctor as mentioned previously) ?

Cheers,

BB

Cheers,

BB

UJ,

Thank you once again for your assistance.

What do I require to take with me to IO for the 60 day extension (in addition to a letter from my wifes doctor as mentioned previously) ?

Cheers,

BB

Marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of your wife's ID card and house book registry signed and darted by her.

If not living where your wife's house book is for you will need proof of residence.

Any application form to be filled out or do I just go in with required paperwork and say I would like a 60 day extension ?

You will need a completed TM7 form with and attached 4 cm X 6 cm photo attached.

Download and print 2 sided, http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf or doc format you can complete and print. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc