Border Run Alternatives

Ubon Joe,

My apologies if this is hijacking the post but I have a quick question.

I am on a Non Immigrant "O" with 5 months left on my "enter before date".

If I start a new job in China (4 weeks on / 1 week off in Thailand) do I need a re-entry permit or will I just receive 90 days from when I arrive back in Thailand ?

Cheers,

BB

You will get a 90 day entry every time you enter the country up to the enter before date on your visa.

Ubon Joe,

My apologies if this is hijacking the post but I have a quick question.

I am on a Non Immigrant "O" with 5 months left on my "enter before date".

If I start a new job in China (4 weeks on / 1 week off in Thailand) do I need a re-entry permit or will I just receive 90 days from when I arrive back in Thailand ?

Cheers,

BB

• Up to and including the 'enter before' date you will receive a 90 day permit to stay every time you enter, and you don't need a re-entry permit.
  • Any 90 day stay that extends beyond the 'enter before' date of the visa can be kept alive with a re-entry permit. For example, if you made your last entry using the visa on the 'enter before' you will be granted 90 days. If you left for work one week later you could buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) and when you return 4 weeks later the IO will use the re-entry permit and stamp you back in for the remainder of your last 90 day entry.

many many thanks ubonjoe

You truly are a top man in these matters and have made things a lot clearer for me

Many thanks ubonjoe

If I can be cheeky enough to ask when it comes to renewing my non o visa what is the easiest route or place to go bearing in mind I'm residing in udon Thani it's just I've heard many bad stories about Laos crossings and overnighting with nothing to do there could you recommend for me your less stressful place to renew when the time comes

Again I really really appreciate your valuable knowledge on these confusing matters

Regards again ubonjoe

Ian

You can get a new multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Savannakhet Laos. There is no place within the region where you can a visa on the same day you apply.

I have seen no reports of anybody having a problem entering at any border crossing with Laos that had a valid visa for entry.

hi guys

i am coming to the end of three months on a multi entry non o visa i havent done this befors so as i live in udon now can i just go into laos have a beer and come back ?what documentation do i need ?

thanks

Yes you can, but why not spend a night or two over there while you're at it? It's less stressful and while Thai immigration has no problems with visa holders doing "visa runs" as opposed to visa exempt holders, it still looks better if you stay out of Thailand for at least a night even if you are under no obligation to do so.

• Like 1

I have an Indonesian friend who wants to come to Thailand for an extended stay but does not qualify for any of the long-stay visas. Can he come in on his 30-day tourist visa, extend 30 days at local immigration, fly out or drive out, return and do the 30-day plus 30-day extension again? And again?

I have an Indonesian friend who wants to come to Thailand for an extended stay but does not qualify for any of the long-stay visas. Can he come in on his 30-day tourist visa, extend 30 days at local immigration, fly out or drive out, return and do the 30-day plus 30-day extension again? And again?

Your Indonesian friend can apply for a multiple entry tourist visa at the Thai Embassy in Jakarta. Details in the link.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/jakarta/en/services/64469-Tourist-visa.html

Attempting to stay long term by using "visa exempt" entry's would not be a good idea.

A couple of years ago, staying in Thailand on back-to-back visa exempt entries was possible. Now, especially if entering by land, there will be problems after 2-3 successful entries.

A couple of years ago, staying in Thailand on back-to-back visa exempt entries was possible. Now, especially if entering by land, there will be problems after 2-3 successful entries.

It's just as bad if attempting to do so by air. In fact, the immigration officers at the airport are usually more professional, "sharper" and will notice someone attempting to circumvent the system by doing in-outs more than at land borders. That is NOT to say it's possible at land borders, just that it's a lot more random there - some borders are strict, some less so. At others it depends on the official, or time of day. Unless you are wanted you are unlikely to be refused if you come in at 9.50pm as the last arrival from Laos. The officials just want to go home as the bridge closes at 10. At land borders at the very least you will probably be granted a 1-week visa if "refused" - not so if arriving by air.

It's just as bad if attempting to do so by air. In fact, the immigration officers at the airport are usually more professional, "sharper" and will notice someone attempting to circumvent the system by doing in-outs more than at land borders. That is NOT to say it's possible at land borders, just that it's a lot more random there - some borders are strict, some less so. At others it depends on the official, or time of day. Unless you are wanted you are unlikely to be refused if you come in at 9.50pm as the last arrival from Laos. The officials just want to go home as the bridge closes at 10. At land borders at the very least you will probably be granted a 1-week visa if "refused" - not so if arriving by air.

Visas are never issued at land borders unless you come from one of a very few countries whose citizens qualify for a 1000 bht Visa on arrival which is only available at designated borders, provides a 15 day stay and which is non extendable.

• 2 weeks later...

What is easyest fix to get some time for extentsion. I live in CM i visa will run out in coupe of days.

I have a car so could drive to mae sai if can do something there or any other place.

Basically im looking to get non ED visa in perfect circumstances but if not can do TV and then extend it here at CM immigration

What is easyest fix to get some time for extentsion. I live in CM i visa will run out in coupe of days.

I have a car so could drive to mae sai if can do something there or any other place.

Basically im looking to get non ED visa in perfect circumstances but if not can do TV and then extend it here at CM immigration

You would not get a visa at a border crossing. If you want a tourist visa you would need to go to the embassy in Vientiane.

You could get a visa exempt entry at Chiang Khong crossing to Laos if you qualify for one. You would get a 15 day entry or 30 days if from a G7 country. You could then get a 30 day extension of it at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

what u mean if i qualify for extension?

I have now METV ending, am i okay? then i would get 30 day + 30 day extension`?

any knowledge of expenses there at Chiang Khong?

Without knowing your nationality I do not know if qualify for a visa exempt entry not the extension of one. Unless you are from a G7 country you will only get a 15 day entry.

You will need to get a Lao visa on arrival. The fee is $30 to $42 US dependent on nationality or 1500 baht. Info is here: http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

To be sure of your options, we need to know your exact status:

• By METV, do you mean the multiple entry tourist visa that is available from your home country only, or do you mean a double/triple entry tourist visa that were previously widely available?
  • What is the Enter Before date on the visa?
  • What is the Admitted Until date on your most recent entry into Thailand?
  • Did you get an extension of stay for this most recent entry at an immigration office inside Thailand on payment of 1,900 baht?
  • What is your nationality?

Getting to Krabi is easy and fairly cheap by several Thai / Malaysian Airlines from Bkk ... From Krabi via rented car, hired van one can go to Satun next to Malaysia, Also there is the Border Check Point located inside Thale Ban National Park. I have made a document with all road numbers and junctions with the most efficient road route ... along with the GPS Coordinates of every highway change ... These two areas are quite safe.

I had a friend recently take a Bus to Hat Yai ... then a train to Butterworth next to Penang/Georgetown to get a visa... He has also on separate occasions take both a train and a big bus back to Hat Yai... These methods proved to be comfortable and efficient. One can also take the Train from Surat Thani to Butterworth. NOTE: You do not have to go all the way to Butterworth ... you can just get off at the Malaysia Border - go though Malaysian Immigration and wait for the next train back.

If you go to Phuket as a route to go south ... all the buses go through Krabi to get there... so going directly to Krabi is easier.

Malaysia provides a Visa on Arrival for free. This cuts down on the cost of going this route ...

• Like 1

To be sure of your options, we need to know your exact status:

• By METV, do you mean the multiple entry tourist visa that is available from your home country only, or do you mean a double/triple entry tourist visa that were previously widely available?
  • What is the Enter Before date on the visa?
  • What is the Admitted Until date on your most recent entry into Thailand?
  • Did you get an extension of stay for this most recent entry at an immigration office inside Thailand on payment of 1,900 baht?
  • What is your nationality?

double entry visa from Lao, vientiane, before.

enter before 10dec.2015

last entry Admitted Until 7feb.2016

extended last entry in CM imm fir 1.9k B

Im from G7

double entry visa from Lao, vientiane, before.

enter before 10dec.2015

last entry Admitted Until 7feb.2016

extended last entry in CM imm fir 1.9k B

Im from G7

Then, your options appear to be

• Chiang Khing for a 30-day visa exempt entry that you can extend for an additional 30 days at an immigration office in Thailand for 1,900 baht. The border hop in Chiang Khing (in addition to travel costs) will cost you about $30-40, depending on nationality, for a Laos visa if paying in US dollars (a bit more otherwise).
  • Travel to Vientiane (probably via Nong Khai) for a visa. If you want an Ed Visa, you will need appropriate paperwork before going. A single entry tourist visa in Vientiane will cost 1,000 baht. You will need to stay minimum one night in Vientiane. I expect you might break your journey to/from Nong Khai also if driving. Of course, the Laos visa (as above) still applies.
  • Alternative countries, that do not require visas to apply for visas exist. These include Penang Malaysia and (depending on your nationality) HCMC and Hanoi Vietnam. The cost of the Thai visa is a little higher, and travel costs from Chiang Rai would also be higher.
  • Like 1

Mae Sai to Tachileik border run, got a new 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Today, within half an hour, basically no questions asked.

Mae Sai border run works painlessly for genuine tourists.

The scrutiny with which they inspected my passport indicates that back-to-back border runs will be refused.

Details:

EU passport, many stamps and visas from the region, China, USA, India, etc.

I was on a 30 day stamp good till 25 March.

Last 30 day stamp was in November 2015, Dec to Feb I was out of country.

Last 60 day tourist visa was from 2013

This old visa the only thing I got asked when leaving, the immigration officer lost interest when he saw that it was from 3 years ago and gave me the exit stamp.

Got the exit stamp

Walk across the bridge. The Burmese officers seemed happy to see a foreigner, all smiles, I was bumped ahead, paid $10 (with a US$20 bill, got $10 change), got in- and out stamps. Less than 5 minutes and I was back at entry booth to Thailand.

Passport was closely inspected. After a minute or two, I offered a copy of my ticket for a flight to Vietnam, dated 5 April. I wasn't asked for it but it clearly helped the officer to make up his mind.

Got the new 30 day exempt entry stamp, good till 12 April.

Free of charge on the Thai side of course.

I only saw one other farang at the border.

Photo:

Big sign "No more visa runs" on the exit Thailand side.

I was not asked to show money or hotel reservation.

http://s215.photobucket.com/user/frankinasia/media/random%20images/Linked%20images/2016_03_14_10_47_40_Mae_Sai_zps9nbdsryl.jpg.html

Photo 2: Overstay warning

http://s215.photobucket.com/user/frankinasia/media/random%20images/Linked%20images/2016_03_14_10_48_15_Mae_Sai_zpsvfeaojfk.jpg.html

You were lucky to even be allowed to depart the country. Many more reports of not being allowed to leave compared to your one report of being allowed to do a crossing.

Sure. I was worried after reading about Mae Sai visa runs on TV. Plan B was to ride down to Chiang Khong and do the $35 run to Laos, plan C would have been to go to immigration and fork out $55 (1900B) for a 30 day extension, and there was even plan D which would have involved a return flight for KL or HK or wherever else AirAsia flies for $150 return from CM. Always have a backup plan, but it's much better if the $10 option works on first try smile.png

Not having been much in LOS in the last 2 years I only found out about their tightening the rules 2 weeks ago, otherwise I wouldn't have been caught in this situation anyway. It would have been easy enough to get a tourist visa in PP or Saigon when I was there recently.

Anyway, thanks for keeping this thread up to date Ubonjoe. It really helps! wai2.gif

I am currently on a single entry tourist visa (60 days) and have already extended it at the immigration. I would only need another 30 days and never did a border run before. Would it be better to use an agency like Bangkok Buddy or go by car to Cambodia with my Thai girlfriend and re-enter again after one day or the same day? Will there be any problems with the visa run in general or should I easily receive a new stamp? Thanks for answering my question that for sure has came up already a thousand times in this forum.