BANGKOK
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

I arrived in the kingdom 1/18/2020 and according to this calculator my SETV + Extension would end 4/15/2020

My calculator says April 16th.

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

Is it correct that my Visa Exempt + Extension will reach me to June 14th? 

Yes

As for the Ban Laem crossing, I read on a forum in quite another langauge from someone who wanted to do his regular borderrun with his Thai wife, that since 1/1 or so there has been a new boss/higher one who has set (or enforced previously forgotten) new rules, that includes having to stay at least 24 hrs in MY or even 2 nights. This couple (he was 2 days before expiry) decided not to go over, as unprepared for this and followed the advice also given in Thai to the wife; use Padang Besar and there its stil possible. This indeed proved to be the case-on the last and final day of his stay with same day return back to Thailand.

As for the quoted ferry to Langkawi: if you use the later one you must overnight there, as its the ferry homebase and Langkawi is notably lacking in decent transport-its taxi only in practice.

14 minutes ago, asanee said:

As for the Ban Laem crossing, I read on a forum in quite another langauge from someone who wanted to do his regular borderrun with his Thai wife, that since 1/1 or so there has been a new boss/higher one who has set (or enforced previously forgotten) new rules, that includes having to stay at least 24 hrs in MY or even 2 nights. This couple (he was 2 days before expiry) decided not to go over, as unprepared for this and followed the advice also given in Thai to the wife; use Padang Besar and there its stil possible. This indeed proved to be the case-on the last and final day of his stay with same day return back to Thailand.

As for the quoted ferry to Langkawi: if you use the later one you must overnight there, as its the ferry homebase and Langkawi is notably lacking in decent transport-its taxi only in practice.

Isnt ban laem a border to Cambodia?  Why would one instead go all the way to Malaysian border when both the Northern borders and Burmese border is closer. 

Also Langkawi ferry is ok if you want to spend some time over there, otherwise it's better to use the landborder that is also located in Satun. Did my last one there about a week ago without any issues as usual. The first time i did it there my wife asked the officer in departure if i could just jump in/out and he said that it was OK since i have a non-o, done it for about a year now and it's very smooth and the officers are very nice.

Edited by Okis
  • Like 1