Border Run Alternatives

I am taking:

Copy of my passport

Copy of my stamp and departure card

Childs thai birth certificate original and copy

Copy of thai mother ID card and Tabien baan

A residency guarantor (girlfriends father where i am living now) handwritten letter indicating where i am living in kap choeng. Signed by my girlfriends father

Guarantor ID card copy

Guarantor tabian baan copy

You should take your child with you too.

Sorry. One more question. If i do get the extension, do i still need to do a border run on the 2nd Nov when my visa exempt expires. Or how does that all work?

No. You don't need to do a border run if your stay is extended.

Sorry. One more question. If i do get the extension, do i still need to do a border run on the 2nd Nov when my visa exempt expires. Or how does that all work?

Yes he will as they only allow a single 60 day extensor per authorized visa exempt stamp or proper visa for seeing a child or wife. He will have to exit each time and gain another 15 day visa exempt and this brings up the question of how many time they will let him do this at Chong Chom. llhm2711 needs to think about going to Savannahaket and obtaining a 90 day single entrty O and converting over to extension to stay based his requirements at Kap Choeng Immigration.

• Like 1

Yes he will as they only allow a single 60 day extensor per authorized visa exempt stamp or proper visa for seeing a child or wife. He will have to exit each time and gain another 15 day visa exempt and this brings up the question of how many time they will let him do this at Chong Chom. llhm2711 needs to think about going to Savannahaket and obtaining a 90 day single entrty O and converting over to extension to stay based his requirements at Kap Choeng Immigration.

Am I missing something?

llhm2711 entered the country recently and has been granted a 15 day stay which I assume expires Nov 2nd. He is going to apply for a 60 day extension to start from Nov 2nd, therefore, he will not need to do a border run on Nov 2nd.

• Like 1

Am I missing something?

llhm2711 entered the country recently and has been granted a 15 day stay which I assume expires Nov 2nd. He is going to apply for a 60 day extension to start from Nov 2nd, therefore, he will not need to do a border run on Nov 2nd.

He was on a B visa which is not illegible for what he wanted. He had to do a border hop at Chong Chom and get a 15 day visa exempt stamp which is only illegible for 1 60 day extension for child or wife and he will have to exit if he wants another 60 day . A 12 months extension for a visiting a child or wife has to be started an O visa.

His question was about doing a border run on the Nov 2nd.

If he gets a 60 day extension before Nov 2nd he doesn't need to do a border run on Nov 2nd. So the answer to his question was no.

Missed that. If he gets the 60 day extension the border run for Nov 2 is not needed but then this brings up what I have said if he doesn't get the extension or wishes to stay longer he needs to go to Savannahket and get a proper visa.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

His question was about doing a border run on the Nov 2nd.

If he gets a 60 day extension before Nov 2nd he doesn't need to do a border run on Nov 2nd. So the answer to his question was no.

Missed that. If he gets the 60 day extension the border run for Nov 2 is not needed but then this brings up what I have said if he doesn't get the extension or wishes to stay longer he needs to go to Savannahket and get a proper visa.

You are correct in that a continued sequence of visa exempt entries/60 day extensions is not a long term solution.

Back from kap choeng imm..

All went as planned. No hiccups. In and out in 15 mins. No questions asked.

60 day extension have now

15 minute ???? me i need to go in chiang mai immigration at 5 am i,n the morning , really i need to live somewhere eles loool

you got 60 day on your 15/ 30 day exemption right

I am a dual national Australian/UK; I entered Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt on my Australian passport being in ignorance of the 15 day situation if I reenter at a land crossing.

My question is that;

1:as I have been since advised that on the UK passport I should get another 30 day even if I use a land border would it be an issue to leave on one passport and reenter on the other i.e. UK as it should give the better outcome for my circumstance.

Also 15 days is not enough time for my return flight from Chiang Mai, and all sorts of stories are floating about exiting to a neighbouring country and reentering, not allowed to leave, not allowed to reenter, it’s all very confused, I just want to finish my Thai holiday with the least amount of inconvenience.

Had I been aware of changes I would have gotten a 60 day visa, however the die is cast.

You cannot swap passports at land borders as the immigration officers will want to see a full set of stamps ie exit Thailand,enter/exit from another country in the same passport.

If wanted you will have to fly out and return using the British passport to regain entry to Thailand.

I am a dual national Australian/UK; I entered Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt on my Australian passport being in ignorance of the 15 day situation if I reenter at a land crossing.

My question is that;

1:as I have been since advised that on the UK passport I should get another 30 day even if I use a land border would it be an issue to leave on one passport and reenter on the other i.e. UK as it should give the better outcome for my circumstance.

Also 15 days is not enough time for my return flight from Chiang Mai, and all sorts of stories are floating about exiting to a neighbouring country and reentering, not allowed to leave, not allowed to reenter, it’s all very confused, I just want to finish my Thai holiday with the least amount of inconvenience.

Had I been aware of changes I would have gotten a 60 day visa, however the die is cast.

f you have not done so already you can apply for a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

As said you cannot do a passport swap at a border crossing. They check for stamps to prove you entered the other country and will not accept them being in a different passport.

If in Chiang Mai don't bother going to Mae Sai for another visa exempt entry. They do not allow them.

You could do a crossing in Chiang Khong and get a 15 day entry using your Australian passport and then extend that entry for 30 days.

Hi everyone,

I am a little confused with all the conflicting information going around at the moment. I have one question... I arrived in DMK from KL and got a 30 day visa on arrival. Can I or can I not now go to Chaeng Watthana and get an extension of another 30 days? Next step for me after this will be to go to Laos for a Non O visa.

Thanks in advance

If holding a UK passport you were given a 30 day visa exempt entry if you arrived without a visa.

The 30 days can be extended by 30 days at any immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht

(For future reference a single entry tourist visa costs £25, allows an initial 60 day stay which is extendable by 30 days, again for 1900 Bht)

Last time I went to a Cambodia (Surin) crossing I had to pay 300 Baht to come back the same day. Laos (Tha Li and Savannakhet) will try to pressure you a bit but no charge.

Is this still this way for both?

Non O multi.

at chiang khong go and back they did not say anything :)

Last time I went to a Cambodia (Surin) crossing I had to pay 300 Baht to come back the same day. Laos (Tha Li and Savannakhet) will try to pressure you a bit but no charge.

Non O multi.

The 300 baht for not staying overnight is a legitimate fine/fee. One of the conditions to the Cambodia visa on arrival is that you need to stay at least 24 hours in the country.

Laos has no such rule so going across the border and returning within minutes is allowed. I don't recall any posts stating they had a problem doing it at a Lao border crossing.

Do you actually have to get a Cambodian or Laos stamp before turning around and re-entering Thailand or do you just walk through, get stamped out of Thailand then turn around and walk back into Thailand ?

You must enter the other country. Thai immigration checks for stamps to prove you entered the other country.

Non O multi.

The 300 baht for not staying overnight is a legitimate fine/fee. One of the conditions to the Cambodia visa on arrival is that you need to stay at least 24 hours in the country.

Laos has no such rule so going across the border and returning within minutes is allowed. I don't recall any posts stating they had a problem doing it at a Lao border crossing.

Never had a problem with Laos, it is just subtle hints that I should stay. At Thai Li Immigration suggested I go to Luang Prabang. At Savannakhet it was the taxi drivers. Maybe I am just sensitive. because I am not a tourist that needs to be led around.

I actually Thought about Luang Prabang until I found the true story.