BANGKOK 20 August 2019 01:47
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

On 11/20/2018 at 11:31 PM, Briggsy said:

This topic is becoming more of a general inquiry topic with a heavy bias towards the possibility of denial of entry and not a thread giving recent reports of border runs which is what it says on the tin.

The topic is called "Border Run Alternatives" not "Border Runs". Regardless, no need to get caught up in semantics.

Lots of alternatives are discussed, along with their likelihood of success. 

I find this thread among the most useful for the latest updates on said alternatives. It has helped keep me on the right side of immigration law, with minimum inconvenience.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:31 AM, Briggsy said:

This topic is becoming more of a general inquiry topic with a heavy bias towards the possibility of denial of entry and not a thread giving recent reports of border runs which is what it says on the tin.

I think this is because many of the "border run alternatives" are becoming risky, with an increasing probability of interrogation and/or denial, if one enters by air.  Thus, the question becomes, "In addition to doing everything legally required, what else do I have to do to avoid having an entry rejected?"

In my view, the only way to be safe with certainty at the Airports and Poipet/Aranya, is to stay no longer than short periods (week or two), spaced far apart (several months).  How much one can increase the stay-lengths, or decrease the return-intervals, is a matter of conjecture - a guess which is up to the feelings / attitudes of the IO and supervisors encountered, when you enter.

44 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

It has helped keep me on the right side of immigration law, with minimum inconvenience.

Unfortunately "law" and "policy" are not at all the same at some checkpoints (or offices).  If it were, most of the discussion on this site would be unnecessary.  But, yes, it is definitely best to keep abreast of the ever-changing policies, to avoid potential trouble.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:31 AM, Briggsy said:

Better than starting a new topic to ask their questions that might end up in being multiple pages long.

I entered and got 30 days by filling out a form on the plane (waiver?), flew to PH for a month and got back for another 30 days and then extended that by 30 in Thailand.  Now I need another 30 days until I return home and was wondering if flying to e.g. Cambodia, staying for 2-3 days and coming back would work for the remaining days?

26 minutes ago, AndyDufresne said:

I entered and got 30 days by filling out a form on the plane (waiver?), flew to PH for a month and got back for another 30 days and then extended that by 30 in Thailand.  Now I need another 30 days until I return home and was wondering if flying to e.g. Cambodia, staying for 2-3 days and coming back would work for the remaining days?

Should do if that’s your only recent history of tourist visits.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2015 at 1:10 PM, ubonjoe said:

I just moved a off post about OA visa entries to a more appropriate topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855905-non-immigrant-oa-confused-about-dates-and-extention/

Please. I am a newbie. I live in Kabinburi and live near Sa Kaeo near the Cambodia border. ( The locals call it Kampuchea) I need to make a border run around 20 Jan 19. Would you please provide everything I must do, both going to Cambodia and the documents I need on departure and return. I am Aussie and want to take my Thai wife. Thai immigration at Prachinburi has not been helpful, in fact resentful. Any help please. 

5 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Please. I am a newbie. I live in Kabinburi and live near Sa Kaeo near the Cambodia border. ( The locals call it Kampuchea) I need to make a border run around 20 Jan 19. Would you please provide everything I must do, both going to Cambodia and the documents I need on departure and return. I am Aussie and want to take my Thai wife. Thai immigration at Prachinburi has not been helpful, in fact resentful. Any help please. 

What type of visa/permit to stay do you have now?

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What type of visa/permit to stay do you have now?

Thank you. I have a marriage non o visa. Must have 400,000 in the bank. The consulate in Perth West Aust said this must be kept in Aust. Prachinburi Immigration wants it to be in Thailand. I try to live with my wife in Kabinburi. I am 66 and "getting on" if you know what I mean. Known my wife for 8 years and supported wife and children in that time.

7 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Thank you. I have a marriage non o visa. Must have 400,000 in the bank. The consulate in Perth West Aust said this must be kept in Aust. Prachinburi Immigration wants it to be in Thailand. I try to live with my wife in Kabinburi. I am 66 and "getting on" if you know what I mean. Known my wife for 8 years and supported wife and children in that time.

Do you have a single entry or multiple entry non-o visa? 

If you have a multiple entry visa you only need to leave and re-enter the country to get a new entry. You can can do it at a border crossing but avoid doing it at the Aran/Poi Pet crossing since the have a history of turning people away.

The Perth consulate was giving you false info there is no requirement to keep the money in Australia. You could of applied for the non-o visa at the embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney without any financial proof.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at your local immigration office. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

You can also apply for a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife. No financial proof is needed for it,

That is the best info I have received so far.

So I deposit 400,000 into my Thai bank account. I am prepared to keep it there.

I can always re apply to stay with my wife for a further 12 months at my local immigration office (Prachinburi) provided I exit the country every 90 days. Wthout returning to reapply at Australia after 12 months?

I understand that I need a visa to visit Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar. Can this be obtained at the border?  Or do I need to visit their embassy in Bangkok. How long do I have to stay there in their countries before returning.

Sorry mate a lot of questions and no way to thank you.

Do I need more than a passport to enter these countries without having a visa beforehand.

I am considering flying to Singapore but this seems an expensive option.  Cheers mate 

6 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I can always re apply to stay with my wife for a further 12 months at my local immigration office (Prachinburi) provided I exit the country every 90 days. Wthout returning to reapply at Australia after 12 months?

If you get a one year extension of stay at immigration you do not need to leave the country unless you want to. You just do reports of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country to immigration.

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa

6 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I understand that I need a visa to visit Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar.

For entry to Laos and Cambodia you will get a visa on arrival. For Myanmar you pay 500 baht for a border pass.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you get a one year extension of stay at immigration you do not need to leave the country unless you want to. You just do reports of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country to immigration.

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa

For entry to Laos and Cambodia you will get a visa on arrival. For Myanmar you pay 500 baht for a border pass.

Thank you so much. I cannot ever repay your good advice except to say many thanks.

Dear all,

Humble new forum member here, taking onboard a quote from a long standing member I read previously in this thread - that I too would like to use the thread/forum to learn and stay on the right side on Thai law. 

Have proposed to Thai gf of two years and anticipate an exit to Savannakhet within a few weeks, to apply for an O visa based on marriage.

Can I seek advice from those who may have crossed more recently please, whether old reports of the Thai consulate in Savannakhet not requesting proof of funds for a single O visa application might still stand please?

Thank you

GA

Edited by GA19
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GA19 said:

Can I seek advice from those who may have crossed more recently please, whether old reports of the Thai consulate in Savannakhet not requesting proof of funds for a single O visa application please?

Savannakhet and Vientiane Laos will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai without financial proof.

Savannakhet will issue a multiple entry non-o as well.

• Like 1