Jump to content
BANGKOK
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

Recommended Posts

Good to know,
Thanks very much
C.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for clarifying. I'll fly in to Don meung, I months time and see what happens!!
Cheers

Sorry meant 3 months time after visa and extension expires.

My mistake, I wrote 1months time in my last post.
Thanks very much.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I remind all when arriving in Laos and getting a visa on arrival, most nationalities save around 400 Baht by paying in dollars rather than baht. However, the dollars need to be unmarked.

 

I picked up some dollars in Thailand and did not notice each bill had an identical small ink stamp on it, perhaps from a bank. These dollars were rejected at the Laos border and I had to pay in baht.

 

I later tested the same dollars at a money changer in Laos and they were similarly rejected. I had no problem changing them back in Thailand.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
May I remind all when arriving in Laos and getting a visa on arrival, most nationalities save around 400 Baht by paying in dollars rather than baht. However, the dollars need to be unmarked.
 
I picked up some dollars in Thailand and did not notice each bill had an identical small ink stamp on it, perhaps from a bank. These dollars were rejected at the Laos border and I had to pay in baht.
 
I later tested the same dollars at a money changer in Laos and they were similarly rejected. I had no problem changing them back in Thailand.
Yes, you are right, I pay with US$ 31 for Aussie passport, basically saving 300baht. If you got the Laos visa from the Laos consulate at khon kean, they charge 1400baht.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, you are right, I pay with US$ 31 for Aussie passport, basically saving 300baht. If you got the Laos visa from the Laos consulate at khon kean, they charge 1400baht.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi all,
Just wanting to know what the stamp issued to a Russian lady saying
"VOID WITHOUT PREJUDICE"
means?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Just wanting to know what the stamp issued to a Russian lady saying
"VOID WITHOUT PREJUDICE"
means?

I think that was done at the embassy in Phnom Penh.

The stamp means that visa application was not approved by a consular officer for any valid reason IMO. It seems they are collecting the visa fee and then not approving the application for some unknown reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think that was done at the embassy in Phnom Penh.
The stamp means that visa application was not approved by a consular officer for any valid reason IMO. It seems they are collecting the visa fee and then not approving the application for some unknown reason.
Done at Vientiane yesterday


Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Done at Vientiane yesterday

Did they have to pay the 1000 baht fee. It seems the application was accepted but then denied. With the way Vientiane does it you don't pay the fee until the next day when you pickup your passport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Here's the latest list of official holidays put out by the Thai consular section of the Thai embassy in Vientiane Laos

It is also on their website here. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/news/announce/detail.php?ID=642

Also on their calendar. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mcsiva8 said:

Done at Vientiane yesterday

Was the Russian lady applying for a tourist visa, or some other kind of visa? I have never heard of a voided tourist visa from Vientiane before. Was she trying to use an agent? Although agents are not supposed to be allowed in Vientiane, at other locations voided visas are often used to justify taking payment even though no visa is forthcoming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Was the Russian lady applying for a tourist visa, or some other kind of visa? I have never heard of a voided tourist visa from Vientiane before. Was she trying to use an agent? Although agents are not supposed to be allowed in Vientiane, at other locations voided visas are often used to justify taking payment even though no visa is forthcoming.
Frankly speaking, I'm not to sure about the story, but I was told she was at Vientiane 3 days ago and was shown the stamp to another lady, who told someone else that she had this stamp. Whether she got it at Cambodia as Joe suggested, or she got it at Laos, I'm not to sure.
I only wanted to understand what it might mean.
Sorry for the confusion.
My bad


Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, Do You know what kind of documents are required when I apply for SETV in Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Yanngon and Vientiane? I mean in reality. Thanks for reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DannyP said:

Hello, Do You know what kind of documents are required when I apply for SETV in Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Yanngon and Vientiane? I mean in reality. Thanks for reply.

In all cases, you need photocopies of your passport data page and of the entry stamp into the country where you are applying. You also need visa photos and, of course, the visa fee.

 

For Kuala Lumpur, see http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/Notes_1_1 Toursit TR_1_0 application(1).pdf

 

For Penang, it is hard to say. Best avoided if you have more than one previous tourist visa in your passport, and talk to an agent anyway. You probably need an onward flight, hotel bookings and financial proof. They are sometimes very difficult.

 

For Yangon, you need an confirmed onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days (bus or train ticket probably accepted) and, at least, a few days hotel booking (or rental contract to show, or letter from someone offering you lodging). Yangon is a nice place to apply. They have requirements, but are pretty flexible.

 

Vientiane is the easiest in terms of requirements. You need nothing except the basic photocopies, photos and visa fee. However, if you plan to stay in Thailand for a long time on tourist visas, I recommend you use more restrictive consulates first, falling back on Vientiane later. You will likely only get three SETVs from Vientiane, possibly four. Then they stamp your passport with a notification that you enter Thailand often on tourist visas, and will not give you any more later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In all cases, you need photocopies of your passport data page and of the entry stamp into the country where you are applying. You also need visa photos and, of course, the visa fee.

 

For Kuala Lumpur, see http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/Notes_1_1 Toursit TR_1_0 application(1).pdf

 

For Penang, it is hard to say. Best avoided if you have more than one previous tourist visa in your passport, and talk to an agent anyway. You probably need an onward flight, hotel bookings and financial proof. They are sometimes very difficult.

 

For Yangon, you need an confirmed onward flight out of Thailand within 60 days (bus or train ticket probably accepted) and, at least, a few days hotel booking (or rental contract to show, or letter from someone offering you lodging). Yangon is a nice place to apply. They have requirements, but are pretty flexible.

 

Vientiane is the easiest in terms of requirements. You need nothing except the basic photocopies, photos and visa fee. However, if you plan to stay in Thailand for a long time on tourist visas, I recommend you use more restrictive consulates first, falling back on Vientiane later. You will likely only get three SETVs from Vientiane, possibly four. Then they stamp your passport with a notification that you enter Thailand often on tourist visas, and will not give you any more later.

 

 

Thank You so much for very useful information. I have one SETV from embassy in my country and 3 visa exemptions (2 was extended) in immigration. 

 

I'm in Malaysia now and maybe I will try to apply in Kuala Lumpur. According link, I need reservation/confirmation of transportation ticket to and from Thailand. 

 

What if I want travelling by bus? Do I need ticket too? 

About ticket "from Thailand", its no difference where or I need only to my homecountry? 

What if I want extend my visa after 2 months? 

 

Do You maybe know how should look a financial proof? They want see money in cash or some bills from bank? Do I need confirmation from bank? 

 

Based on your experience: do You think Kuala Lumpur embassy ask about financial proof? 

 

What about Yangon about type of ticket and financal proof? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DannyP said:

What if I want travelling by bus? Do I need ticket too? 

You need to showed a confirmed reservation into Thailand. I would expect they would accept a bus ticket, but no guarantees.

 

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

 About ticket "from Thailand", its no difference where or I need only to my homecountry? 

In Kuala Lumpur (and other consulates except possibly Penang) the onward ticket can be to anywhere outside Thailand. A flight reservation is definitely acceptable. A bus ticket may be.

 

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

 What if I want extend my visa after 2 months? 

A good question. I am unsure whether Kuala Lumpur will accept on onward flight over 60 days after arrival in Thailand. A couple of years ago, Kuala Lumpur was pretty difficult, but they have become friendlier, and might show flexibility.

 

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

Do You maybe know how should look a financial proof? They want see money in cash or some bills from bank? Do I need confirmation from bank? 

It needs to be photocopies of recent bank statements, or updated bank book. These can be from either Thai or foreign accounts. Cash will not work as they need something to store in their files.

 

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

Based on your experience: do You think Kuala Lumpur embassy ask about financial proof? 

Most likely not, but I would take it with me just in case.

 

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

What about Yangon about type of ticket and financal proof? 

As I posted above, I believe Yangon will accept a confirmed bus or train ticket out of Thailand. I expect they would accept a flight reservation 60-90 days out. As with Kuala Lumpur, financial proof should be photocopies of bank account statements or bank books.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...