Jump to content
BANGKOK
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Paduppa said:

 

If I may piggyback on this, I think I'm in a somewhat similar case: US pp, 6 VE since 2016, 3 TV old pp, 3 TV in current.

 

I'm considering a SETV at Yangon and taking a bus to enter land border to avoid the risks of entering via air. However, if air seems doable, I would prefer to go to Vietnam. What do you think about the prospects of flying into Bangkok or CM compared to the presumably safer Myawaddy/Maesot crossing?

With your history, I think there would be a risk (probably small) entering by air with a tourist visa in Bangkok. In your position, I would choose the slightly greater hassle of using Yangon, returning by overnight bus to Myawaddy, and entering at Maesot. If your eventual destination is Bangkok, Maesot airport is near the border, and has frequent flights to Bangkok.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, it's me again. I intend to take the Lomprayah to Chumphon tomorrow and stay the night in Ranong and do the crossing to Myanmar on Thursday morning. I've read that when you get your passport stamped on arrival you can get the exit stamp at the same time and presumably turn around and get back on the boat to Rangong. Is that the case and if so where do I get my re-entry stamp? Excuse my ignorance but it's a long time since I did this trip and I don't want to get caught out. As I'm looking to get a 90 day extension on my multiple entry o visa, do I need any other docs apart from copies of my passport used pages and maybe a thai bank statement? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the latest on Ban Laem Cambodia to Thai land boarder . . still a Yes/Yes . .

passport + photos + 20k THB . . . have a friend moving from KH to TH want to entry this boader. . no worries ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

What is the latest on Ban Laem Cambodia to Thai land boarder . . still a Yes/Yes . .

passport + photos + 20k THB . . . have a friend moving from KH to TH want to entry this boader. . no worries ?

As long as they have a visa or qualify for visa exemption it’s “no worries“.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

What is the latest on Ban Laem Cambodia to Thai land boarder . . still a Yes/Yes . .

passport + photos + 20k THB . . . have a friend moving from KH to TH want to entry this boader. . no worries ?

Same post but I want to go from Thailand to Ban Laem. I am prepared to stay the night. Non O multi entry on marriage visa.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Same post but I want to go from Thailand to Ban Laem. I am prepared to stay the night. Non O multi entry on marriage visa.

Cheers.

You can stay the night if you wish, but it is unnecessary as long as you are willing (if necessary, sometimes avoidable) to pay Cambodian immigration for the same day return.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BritTim said:

You can stay the night if you wish, but it is unnecessary as long as you are willing (if necessary, sometimes avoidable) to pay Cambodian immigration for the same day return.

Thank you. I was going to Pakse in Laos, but the thought of another 11 hours in the coach as opposed to 3 hours on a train won me over. Do I need a visa from Cambodia embassy in Bangkok or can you get one at the border, as you can in Laos? I did one run to Vientiane in January and it was easy, all that worry for nothing.

Thank you and cheers mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Thank you. I was going to Pakse in Laos, but the thought of another 11 hours in the coach as opposed to 3 hours on a train won me over. Do I need a visa from Cambodia embassy in Bangkok or can you get one at the border, as you can in Laos? I did one run to Vientiane in January and it was easy, all that worry for nothing.

Thank you and cheers mate.

You get a visa on arrival at the border. Make sure you have clean US dollar bills to pay the $30 cost.  There is no reason to pay extra for the visa provided you have US currency plus a photo.

 

You do not reach Ban Laem by train. You can use a visa run company (minibus) or (cheaper) go by public transport. At the time I did it, I took a comfortable bus to Chanthaburi and a minibus from there to the border. According to some, there are direct minibuses from Pattaya.

 

By Cambodian law, you are supposed to stay the night in Cambodia when entering by land (exception being if you have a multiple entry business visa). The officials may want a special payment for a same day return. If you need to pay it, 200 baht should be sufficient. However, if they ask for 300 baht, it may just be easiest to pay up.

 

Obligatory warning: do not make the mistake of thinking Poipet/Aranyaprathet is an easier journey. That is the only land crossing from Thailand that should be avoided like the plague.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 11:36 PM, Prissana Pescud said:

Same post but I want to go from Thailand to Ban Laem. I am prepared to stay the night. Non O multi entry on marriage visa.

Cheers.

If you are going from Bangkok then another option is the Mae Sot crossing into Burma.

You can take a large coach direct from Bangkok ( approx 7 hours ) to Mae Sot. Overnight there ( big town on the border so plenty of hotels and malls ,) then next day after breakfast, cross into Burma, pay 500 baht for in out stamps then cross back into Thailand and get a coach back to Bangkok.

My favorite crossing as the whole thing only takes half an hour and no back handers expected.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 10:45 PM, BritTim said:

By Cambodian law, you are supposed to stay the night in Cambodia when entering by land (exception being if you have a multiple entry business visa).

Can you also get a Cambodian business visa at the border?

Edited by Scott3000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Can you also get a Cambodian business visa at the border?

You can only get a single entry business visa on arrival at the border. This does not (officially) allow a same day return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Can you also get a Cambodian business visa at the border?

Yes - VOA for $5 extra vs a TR-VOA.  The non-TRs were all be called "ordinary" at one point - not sure now - but are extendable in-country forever, unlike if you enter on a TR-VOA.  If planning to stay in Cambodia longer than 60-days, get the non-TR VOA and you are set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you BritTim and Denim for your information and especially for replying. You give the Guru, ubonjoe a well earned break.

Just one more question if I may push your education.

PoiPet is close to where I live (Kabinburi).

Everyone says don't go near there for a visa run.

 I know that there are many casinos in Cambodia near the poipet border crossing and even Thais have told me it can be dangerous.

But any information as to why?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Thank you BritTim and Denim for your information and especially for replying. You give the Guru, ubonjoe a well earned break.

Just one more question if I may push your education.

PoiPet is close to where I live (Kabinburi).

Everyone says don't go near there for a visa run.

 I know that there are many casinos in Cambodia near the poipet border crossing and even Thais have told me it can be dangerous.

But any information as to why?

It is no longer particularly dangerous physically (assuming you are not trying to do business there).

 

Thai immigration when crossing from Poipet into Thailand frequently deny entry for reasons that would never be used anywhere else, and are certainly not according to the Immigration Act. Having denied entry, they will tell you to enter Thailand by air from Siem Reap (a terrible idea which you should ignore, going instead to a different land crossing, probably Ban Laem).

 

The reason for Thai immigration's actions at Poipet/Aran are, to some extent, open to speculation. I am nearly sure it is to set up an environment where they can operate an extortion racket. If you express sufficient distress at not being allowed to enter, you will be approached by someone on the Cambodian side of the border who will inform you that he can arrange legal entry for 20,000 baht. His claim is true, if you can call the paying of bribes "legal". Most of that money goes to Thai officials. The Thai side retains plausible deniability by keeping the number of people buying themselves in low, (but charging a lot per victim) and never being seen to take money directly from those arriving.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is no longer particularly dangerous physically (assuming you are not trying to do business there).

 

Thai immigration when crossing from Poipet into Thailand frequently deny entry for reasons that would never be used anywhere else, and are certainly not according to the Immigration Act. Having denied entry, they will tell you to enter Thailand by air from Siem Reap (a terrible idea which you should ignore, going instead to a different land crossing, probably Ban Laem).

 

The reason for Thai immigration's actions at Poipet/Aran are, to some extent, open to speculation. I am nearly sure it is to set up an environment where they can operate an extortion racket. If you express sufficient distress at not being allowed to enter, you will be approached by someone on the Cambodian side of the border who will inform you that he can arrange legal entry for 20,000 baht. His claim is true, if you can call the paying of bribes "legal". Most of that money goes to Thai officials. The Thai side retains plausible deniability by keeping the number of people buying themselves in low, (but charging a lot per victim) and never being seen to take money directly from those arriving.

That resolves the issue for me. Thank you. It is Ban Laem for me. Cheers mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...