Jump to content
BANGKOK 17 June 2019 20:02
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

February report from land boarder Thai / Myanmar in Myawadi / Mae Sot.  No problem. Nice and quickly.  SETV in Yangon very easy. Just give them documents (outwards tickets, but not financial proof) and everything fine. No question about more things. Next working day I got a visa. It was my second SETV, but first in Asia. One year living in Asia in this time. 

Edited by DannyP
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 4:22 PM, bkkgourmet said:

Just a quick word of caution...if you are applying for a visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane you must book on line in advance and print out the confirmation page, or show it on your smart phone on entry. All days are booked full well into April. In addition the website was down for nearly a week earlier this month... According to the Consul they are limiting the visas to 300 or less each day. Makes for a very frustrating experience if you need to apply for any visa at the Consulate in Vientiane! Best of luck!

on another note, booking ahead is now a good possibility as the system has been adjusted to allow only real bookings, as of this morning you could book 17th, 18th, even 19th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th n 25 April. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from Mae Sot

 

Despite Prayuths opening ceremony the new bridge is not open to traffic yet. The old crossing was crazy busy will lorries backed up almost to the airport. Took 30 minutes to get to the car park from the airport.

 

Once on foot I was at the end of a queue of 20 people and decided to take a picture of the crowds.

 

Oooops , no pictures allowed and an immigration officer got me to delete pictures ( never heard of cloud ). This proved lucky as he pulled me from the long queue to get me stamped and out. Glad but guilty to be a queue jumper because it was hotter than he'll, 40 degrees plus.

 

By the time I walked over and back was soaked in sweat. Never had that before.

 

Re entry no problem and was glad to get back to the car , wack on the air, and change clothes.

 

The road to Tak is now almost 95 percent complete so no more rough parts to negotiate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

There continue to be variances among the regional Thai Embassies/Consulates.

 

DannyP reports this for SETV in Yangon: Outbound tickets, Yes; Financials, No.

 

20 hours ago, DannyP said:

February report from land boarder Thai / Myanmar in Myawadi / Mae Sot.  No problem. Nice and quickly.  SETV in Yangon very easy. Just give them documents (outwards tickets, but not financial proof) and everything fine. No question about more things. Next working day I got a visa. It was my second SETV, but first in Asia. One year living in Asia in this time. 

 
Vientiane's new Thai Embassy website, with its online booking system, reveals this [if I am reading it correctly]:
 
--Single-entry Visa: Evidence of THB 20,000 cash required
--No mention, however, of outbound air-ticket.
 
Any recent reports on what is required in Vientiane? 
 
Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

Any recent reports on what is required in Vientiane? 

The are not asking for financial proof or tickets out.

The info on the appointments site appears to be a copy and paste from some other website. Just ignore it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have returned from Savannakhet after successfully getting the ME marriage Visa. Went well except for the re-entry into Thailand has left me a little confused. They did not give me a new 90 day report, which means I have to do a 90 day report in 2 weeks, because that's when my old marriage Visa would have expired. Additionally, my new TM 6 card says "Admitted until 25 June".

 

   My questions are;

1. Last year when I left Thailand and came back I got a new 90 day card. Why didn't I get a new 90 day report?

2. Can/Do I do it Online?

3. I thought the new Visa requiring me to report every 90 days would negate the 90 day report, so do I still have to do both?

 

Does Anybody know what I should do? Thanks for any advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your answers concerning my new ME Type 'O' Visa. 1 more thing that I have plenty of time for is  my extension (90 days). Does anyone know if I can do it at the Chong Chom, or Sa Ngam border crossings. They are both within an hour of me, so would be quite convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

has anybody been to khlong yai(Thai side), Cham Yeam(Cambodia side) border checkpoint? its Hat lek the furthest point down southeast of thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, teetersb said:

Thank you everyone for your answers concerning my new ME Type 'O' Visa. 1 more thing that I have plenty of time for is  my extension (90 days). Does anyone know if I can do it at the Chong Chom, or Sa Ngam border crossings. They are both within an hour of me, so would be quite convenient.

No problem at those crossings.

Poi Pet is the only crossing you should avoid.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 8:40 AM, Denim said:

Just got back from Mae Sot

 

Despite Prayuths opening ceremony the new bridge is not open to traffic yet. The old crossing was crazy busy will lorries backed up almost to the airport. Took 30 minutes to get to the car park from the airport. 

 

Once on foot I was at the end of a queue of 20 people and decided to take a picture of the crowds. 

 

Oooops , no pictures allowed and an immigration officer got me to delete pictures ( never heard of cloud ). This proved lucky as he pulled me from the long queue to get me stamped and out. Glad but guilty to be a queue jumper because it was hotter than he'll, 40 degrees plus. 

 

By the time I walked over and back was soaked in sweat. Never had that before.

 

Re entry no problem and was glad to get back to the car , wack on the air, and change clothes.

 

The road to Tak is now almost 95 percent complete so no more rough parts to negotiate.

Yes it's ridiculous that they haven't opened that bridge yet. Already the other day they again held a meeting between local Thai and Myanmar officials in the middle of the bridge to talk about the forest burning issue. Seems they built the bridge for this purpose now Songkran is coming and I expect it will take 2-3 hours to cross the bridge during the busy periods.


Officials at Mae Sot are generally very relaxed with things and taking pictures in front of the building, or underneath the roof has never been a problem but I am generally not one to make things obvious by pulling out a big camera and spending 5 minutes adjusting my lens, that makes them suspicious. Instead, I discreetly pull out my phone and take a quick snap. When i drive myself across the bridge on day visits, I take many pics from my car which is no problem either.

 

Unlike most other foreign travelers to Mae Sot, I ALWAYS cross the bridge by car. Haven't walked across in years. If coming on a day trip, that means MY car. If on a visa, I organize a Myanmar driver to take me across (often it's the same guy who takes me around the country). Since I have a lot of luggage, I can't imagine lugging it across the bridge in 40 degree heat while slamming it into the throngs of Myanmar workers and occasional Chinese online gamblers, who never arrive with any luggage. I solve that problem by putting the luggage in a car, getting my passport stamped, then the car picks me up from inside the bridge, drives me across, passport stamped on Myanmar side, then back in the car (or exchange money first at one of the many money changers near the bridge). Usually drivers can take you across the bridge for 300-400 Baht. Well worth it in my opinion although this may sound "expensive" to the many cheap foreigners who travel to and live in Thailand. Occasionally it's free or cheaper if you join a vehicle with passengers in it already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2019 at 12:41 PM, ubonjoe said:

No problem at those crossings.

Poi Pet is the only crossing you should avoid. 

Poipet is absolutely OK if you have a ME entry visa of any kind, particularly a non-B or non-O. I would advise to avoid Poipet only if arriving on visa exempt (except if you arrive on one of the international buses between Bangkok and Cambodia). However, because of all the traffic and long distance between the Thai and Cambodian posts, Poipet is not ideal from that angle either. The other crossings like Sa Ngam and Chong Chom are better. Ban Pakkard is OK too but they are a bit too regimented. Ban Pakkard is one to avoid for Vietnamese, who get asked tons of questions (as happened to my friend recently) Ok for westerners though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 5:45 AM, BritTim said:

You get a visa on arrival at the border. Make sure you have clean US dollar bills to pay the $30 cost.  There is no reason to pay extra for the visa provided you have US currency plus a photo.

 

You do not reach Ban Laem by train. You can use a visa run company (minibus) or (cheaper) go by public transport. At the time I did it, I took a comfortable bus to Chanthaburi and a minibus from there to the border. According to some, there are direct minibuses from Pattaya.

 

By Cambodian law, you are supposed to stay the night in Cambodia when entering by land (exception being if you have a multiple entry business visa). The officials may want a special payment for a same day return. If you need to pay it, 200 baht should be sufficient. However, if they ask for 300 baht, it may just be easiest to pay up. 

 

Obligatory warning: do not make the mistake of thinking Poipet/Aranyaprathet is an easier journey. That is the only land crossing from Thailand that should be avoided like the plague. 

Leaving Thailand it's absolutely no problem. Coming back ONLY if you have no recent visa free entries and are returning on the international bus or by car. Or better still, you have a visa of some sort (preferably not a tourist visa). ME visas are absolutely fine - never any issues for me there but I haven't held a tourist visa or visa waiver in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Poipet is absolutely OK if you have a ME entry visa of any kind, particularly a non-B or non-O.

It's not if trying to do a border hop to extend a stay. There have been several reports of Aranya immigration refusing them.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...