BANGKOK 22 July 2019 16:33
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kyri said:

I have just searched Malaysaia borders for SA passports and it seems because there is no visa required a train is just about the best and cheapest option. Return from Hua Hin to Padang Besar is about 2300.00 Baht. Leave Hua Hin about 7pm get to Padang Besar in the morning and return at about 5pm get to Hua Hin 6am back home. Second class sleeper coach with aircon. If same day return is allowed. I am just looking for other options seeing that with a SA passport it's not possible to go to Kanchanaburi anymore. 

What you guys think is this a good option for doing a 90 day border run for a non o multiple entry for marriage received in Savannakhet?

In the past, what you are proposing was highly recommended. Unfortunately, recently, this has become a bad crossing to use. The immigration counter in the station is, apparently, no longer used. You must walk or ride to the nearby road crossing where they give travellers a hard time. Denied entry for no good reason is possible (as at Poipet) though I do not think it is quite as bad.

EDIT: What did Tanya at Bangkok Buddy say about SA passports an Ban Phu Nam Ron?

EDIT: I note that Air Asia now has flights from Hua Hin to Kuala Lumpur. If booked a few days ahead, it seems flight are cheap. That might be your best bet.

Edited by BritTim

BritTim thank you for your advice. Tanya said i should go the Cambodia route through her co. She said that Ban Phu Ron is out with a SA passport but someone else said that Ranong might still be ok. Another South African in Bangkok told me that hewent to Malaysia by train in march and everything went quite smoothly. Choices choices and not to make the wrong one. Thanks again.

6 hours ago, Kyri said:

BritTim thank you for your advice. Tanya said i should go the Cambodia route through her co. She said that Ban Phu Ron is out with a SA passport but someone else said that Ranong might still be ok. Another South African in Bangkok told me that hewent to Malaysia by train in march and everything went quite smoothly. Choices choices and not to make the wrong one. Thanks again.

If Tanya said Ban Phu Nam Ron is out, believe her.

I would personally not risk Ranong in your position.

Going up to Bangkok to join a visa run to Cambodia strikes me as more hassle than the alternatives.

If the train works, it can be a pleasant trip. It depends to some extent on who you get to talk to on the train, and how it goes with Thai immigration. It appears that there is one particularly unpleasant female immigration official who is the cause of grief at Padang Besar.

Looks like air to Kuala Lumpur requires an overnight stay.

As you say, many options.

Could also get off the train at Had Yai and from there a shared taxi either all the way to Penang or just the border. I have crossed here on foot both ways a few times.

I am newbie so I apologize for this question but would be appreciative if someone could answer this question. I am a US citizen would like to spend 6mos in Bangkok. I plan on getting a 2mo tourist visa in the States then apply for a 30 day extension after 60days.  After this do I fly out of the country to like Saigon or Penang or KL n apply for another 2 mo tourist Visa n then apply for a 30 day extension?  

Also I heard u need a 6mos lease to get a bank account open. This is the reason for this trip. Otherwise, I would just spend a few mos then travel to Chiang Mai or spend a few mos in Saigon.

Thx in advance

Dan

No problem to get a single entry tourist visa in the states and then another one at a nearby embassy or consulate.

There is no requirement to have a 6 month lease to open a bank account. You will just have to try different banks and branches to open an account.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yahboo11 said:

I am newbie so I apologize for this question but would be appreciative if someone could answer this question. I am a US citizen would like to spend 6mos in Bangkok. I plan on getting a 2mo tourist visa in the States then apply for a 30 day extension after 60days.  After this do I fly out of the country to like Saigon or Penang or KL n apply for another 2 mo tourist Visa n then apply for a 30 day extension?  

What you suggest is possible and a good option.

21 minutes ago, yahboo11 said:

Also I heard u need a 6mos lease to get a bank account open. This is the reason for this trip. Otherwise, I would just spend a few mos then travel to Chiang Mai or spend a few mos in Saigon.

What is required to open a bank account varies greatly from branch to branch. At many branches, you will find it impossible to open an account unless you have a work permit or visit with an existing respected customer of the branch.

Hi,

I am losing my non imm type OA visa this year(due to finance issues) My yearly report is July 7th but I have a flight back to the states & have a return in September.

I have no clue what they do in this situation as 15 years on a OA visa. will they require a return back to the U.S. Or will I be able to do border runs & get my visa stamps?

Do I still get my 1000 baht to return into Thailand or will I have to get a new tourist Visa from The U. S, to get back into Thailand in September? I just did my 90 day report. Not married the gal I am with & myself decided better not to get married. How often do I have to do a Cambodia boredr run to stay here in Thailand. I return every year back to the states for 2-3 months.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want any surprises when I return in Sept.

Thanks

Barry   

2 hours ago, Beardog said:

Hi,

I am losing my non imm type OA visa this year(due to finance issues) My yearly report is July 7th but I have a flight back to the states & have a return in September.

I have no clue what they do in this situation as 15 years on a OA visa. will they require a return back to the U.S. Or will I be able to do border runs & get my visa stamps?

Do I still get my 1000 baht to return into Thailand or will I have to get a new tourist Visa from The U. S, to get back into Thailand in September? I just did my 90 day report. Not married the gal I am with & myself decided better not to get married. How often do I have to do a Cambodia boredr run to stay here in Thailand. I return every year back to the states for 2-3 months.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want any surprises when I return in Sept.

Thanks

Barry   

While in the US, get either a single entry or multiple entry tourist visa. That will give you an initial 60-day stay when you return to Thailand, and will not be a problem. What you should do long term depends on many factors which you do not reveal in your post.

You do not need a re-entry permit (costing 1,000 baht) because you will be returning to Thailand with a visa.

By the way, you have not been staying in Thailand on an "OA visa". You have been getting an extension of your permission to stay on the basis of retirement.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Beardog said:

Hi,

I am presuming you have been living here for so long on an Extension of stay, the Original visa itself having long expired. And that the money in the Thai bank or income to Thailand requirements are not possible, to get another Extension based on retirement.

You can do a few border runs  to obtain 30 day Visa Exempt entries, 2 maximum in the year using a land border. no official limit by air....  but I would not rely on this for too many attempts. Each can be extended for 30 days at immigration. There is also the option of obtaining Tourist Visas in nearby countries, single entry gives 60 days stay with a possible 30 day extension.

As you return to  the USA regularly, could you get a Non-Imm OA Viisa while there from the Embassy or an official consulate? You can get nearly 2 years in Thailand from one of those. Look up the requirements on the Washington website. A multiple entry tourist visa from the USA is another option.

Edited by jacko45k

OK I'll try and explain this best I can, my wife has a friend living with a Swedish husband in their house in Maesot and they have official Thai marriage papers.

The Swedish husband by all accounts has a 3 month visa acquired in Laos based on marriage but doesn't have any money and has been staying in Thailand year on year but has been going to Laos every 3 months pays money comes back for another 3 months, I don't understand that way at all.

He can only read and speak very little English and does have a computer in house but his wife is asking my wife for my help on what to do, but I don't fully understand what he can do in his situation. 

His recent Laos visit he and his wife were told by a taxi driver he can pay him 2000 baht he will then take him to someone who will get him a 1 year stay for 20,000 baht, sounds like a agent or a scam to me.

So question is what should he be doing in the best way to continue to stay in Thailand with his wife without any savings and a small income.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

The Swedish husband by all accounts has a 3 month visa acquired in Laos based on marriage but doesn't have any money and has been staying in Thailand year on year but has been going to Laos every 3 months pays money comes back for another 3 months, I don't understand that way at all.

It sounds like something might have been lost in translation as going to Laos every three months is , as BritTim explained ,  an expensive and tiring way of doing things.

I will second BritTims advice on going to Savannakhet just the once and getting the multiple entry non O based on marriage the price of which is 5000 baht without the need to show savings in the bank.

However , recently the consulate has been swamped with people applying for visas that previously applied at Vientienne until that place introduced an appointments only system to replace the walk in service. The cues are now very long and the consensus of opinion is that if this continues then the Savann consulate may feel obliged to change its rules. What any changed might involve is anybodies guess.

There is a thread about this here :

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Going to Laos for a single entry Non O every 90 days is not the cheapest approach. Particularly if living in Maesot (an excellent place for a cheap border bounce) he should go to Savannakhet and get a multiple entry Non O. He will only need to do this once every 15 months. Each 90 days, he can cross the bridge from Maesot to Myawaddy (a border pass costs US$10) and come back receiving a fresh 90-day stay.

Yeah he lives in Maesot so I don't understand what his doing I'll probably help conveying your info with a Swedish buddy who understands English better than he does. 

Thanks for your help. 👍

2 hours ago, Denim said:

There is a thread about this here :

Thanks for your help.

From what I can make out after speaking with him seems it's turned out like he was going Laos every 3 months and using agent and the agent didn't tell him about multiple entry Non O we can guess why, it was the taxi driver that was trying to tell him. 😂