BANGKOK 26 June 2019 00:31
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for your help.

From what I can make out after speaking with him seems it's turned out like he was going Laos every 3 months and using agent and the agent didn't tell him about multiple entry Non O we can guess why, it was the taxi driver that was trying to tell him. 😂

Make sure he understands that Vientiane and Savannakhet are both in Laos, but the multiple entry Non O is only available at Savannakhet. If he has been using a visa run company, they might be going to Savannakhet now, but would almost certainly have been using Vientiane in the past (and may still be).

• Thanks 1

Hi!

Any news on the SETV situation in Savannakhet?

I seem to recall somebody posted last month that they were mobbed with 500 Filipinos and considering limiting the number of visas issued and/or implementing an appointment system.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Any news on the SETV situation in Savannakhet?

I seem to recall somebody posted last month that they were mobbed with 500 Filipinos and considering limiting the number of visas issued and/or implementing an appointment system.

It seems there are only long lines on Mondays and Thursdays when the visa run company goes there.

No mention of them limiting the numbers or an appointment system.

Vientiane is OK if you have enough time to make an appointment 2 or 3 weeks in advance.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It seems there are only long lines on Mondays and Thursdays when the visa run company goes there.

No mention of them limiting the numbers or an appointment system.

Vientiane is OK if you have enough time to make an appointment 2 or 3 weeks in advance.

This sounds better than expected, especially for Vientiane, as I am considering a visa run in mid-July.

Is there any additional documentation requirement than late last year? At that time, no bank statements were required in Vientiane, and Savannakhet required one recent statement showing more than 20,000 THB.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Is there any additional documentation requirement than late last year?

No changes at Vientiane. Register here and look for appointment dates now. https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

Ignore any visa requirements on that since they are not correct.  

Posted (edited)

Hello, I flew in from HK three days ago. I was told by an immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi airport that he’ll not let me in next time if I don’t use Visa from my home country. I don’t have visa this time and I have 2 TV, 1 ED visa and several 30-day stamp on my passport. I understand that he has right to let me or not let me in to the country, but I don’t think it makes sense to use visa only from my home country. Hence, I want to know if I miss a new Thai immigration policy or something. I’ve never tried coming into Thailand by land, so I’m thinking to get a TV in Vientiane and take a bus to Nongkhai. 

Edited by junejet
Typo

5 hours ago, junejet said:

Hello, I flew in from HK three days ago. I was told by an immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi airport that he’ll not let me in next time if I don’t use Visa from my home country. I don’t have visa this time and I have 2 TV, 1 ED visa and several 30-day stamp on my passport. I understand that he has right to let me or not let me in to the country, but I don’t think it makes sense to use visa only from my home country. Hence, I want to know if I miss a new Thai immigration policy or something. I’ve never tried coming into Thailand by land, so I’m thinking to get a TV in Vientiane and take a bus to Nongkhai. 

There is no publicly announced immigration policy change affecting people entering Thailand with tourist visas. However, at certain entry points, unofficial rules are being applied. Exactly what these amount to is not clear, and they may well differ between entry points (and even different immigration officials). The general thrust seems to be that some senior immigration officials feel that some with tourist visas are not "genuine tourists" and should not have been issued tourist visas. The most important factors appear to be total time in Thailand, and/or whether illegal working might be plausible.

To deal with your specific situation, if you can get a tourist visa in Vientiane and enter at Nong Khai, based on reports to date, there should be no problem at all.

13 hours ago, junejet said:

I’ve never tried coming into Thailand by land, so I’m thinking to get a TV in Vientiane and take a bus to Nongkhai. 

At the moment that is probably your best option.

The airport IO’s are — as part of the ongoing clampdown — under orders to look out for long term tourists, review time spent in the country, and deny entry should the IO/supervisor deem it necessary.

You could try flying in again; on another day another IO might just waive you through with no questions asked.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, junejet said:

I have been avoiding both Bangkok airports, BKK and DMK, for visa exempt entry since I was interrogated at DMK in 2016. The two times I have entered by air, one was with an SETV in October, 2016, the other visa exempt in October, 2017, were via CNX -- the second time at extra cost in both money and travel time to me. I keep up with postings on this thread, and others have posted to the same effect.

In your case, it's probably much less costly to enter by air visa exempt to a different airport than it would be for you to go to your home country. And I have gotten two SETV's in the past 9 months by the method you suggest: At Vientiane and entering by land at Nong Khai. Last September, I entered by Nong Khai by one of the airline buses; in December, I didn't even bother to take the bus across the border, rather just share a taxi after checking out of Lao immigration, then flying out of Udon Thani airport. The flow through Thai immigration at Nong Khai has been much more efficient by personal vehicle than by bus, but both were free of hassle or inconvenience.

But by all means, with a number of visa exempt entries and SETV's in my passport since late 2017, I certainly would not enter Thailand visa exempt by BKK or DMK, without living outside the country for at least a year.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Scott3000
to clarify my posting