Border Run Alternatives

I have one of the last double entry tourist visa's, received in October. I extended 30 days at immigration already and now want to get the last 2 months.

Is the service to Cambodia border still an option?

Yes it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it still possible to get a double entry tourist visa doing a visa run from Thailand to Laos and back?

You cannot get a 2 entry tourist visa anywhere now. The were eliminated when the multiple entry tourist visa became available in November of last year and they are only available in your home country.

You can still get a single entry tourist visa in Laos.

If coming to Thailand via land crossing border (Friendship Bridge) from Laos into Nong Khai, NO visa, how many days is one given to stay in Thailand ? 15 or 30 days ?

What are the rules now ?

What is your nationality ?

I think your a UK passport holder if so 30 days.

Thanks to all here for their graciousness!

Been googling for the Viantiene to Nongkhai(rail) to Khon Kaen bus to rail route. All the information seems to be the reverse trip. We are traveling from Vientiane to Khon Kaen, any ideas about schedule and prices? I know that Nongkhai is about 20km from VT and the shuttles are in sync with departures for Bangkok, but no information about morning departures. If prefer rail to Khon Kaen than a 5 hour bus ride and other hassles with the bus at the border. But I don't want to get to Khon Kaen late either. Would prefer to arrive early in the afternoon, bring lunch with me on the train.

I'm guessing the visa on arrival on the Thailand side is also the same as if we were to take the bus, correct?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance!

Better go for the Vientiane - Khon Kaen direct bus operated by the Transport Company (www.transport.co.th) and it's Lao partner a couple of times a day. Travelling time is around 3-4 hours including the border crossing. Departures from Vientiane are from the morning market. You would stay on the same bus on both sides of the border and all formalities are handled quickly and easily on both sides of the border.

Forget the train, it will take too long and is too complicated given the train station on the Lao side is about 20km outside the city and somewhere "near" the bridge.

hi guys

i am coming to the end of three months on a multi entry non o visa i havent done this befors so as i live in udon now can i just go into laos have a beer and come back ?what documentation do i need ?

thanks

Nothing needed other than your passport, photo and money needed to pay for a Lao visa on arrival.

Just cross into Laos, turnaround and come back.

• Like 1

hi guys

i am coming to the end of three months on a multi entry non o visa i havent done this befors so as i live in udon now can i just go into laos have a beer and come back ?what documentation do i need ?

thanks

You need your passport, photos for the Loa visa and the cash to pay for it .

hi guys

thanks

You need your passport, photos for the Lao visa and the cash to pay for it .

Many thanks

hi guys

thanks

You need your passport, photos for the Lao visa and the cash to pay for it .

hi guys

thanks

Nothing needed other than your passport, photo and money needed to pay for a Lao visa on arrival.

Just cross into Laos, turnaround and come back.

Hi I have a mult.entry non o visa based on Thai marriage which I got mid July 2015. I did my first 90 days then got a 60 day extension after the following 90 days I did a border run. Now my question is if I do another 60 day extension I will only have about 60 days before my visa expires in mid July which will be the 12 month period will it make any difference with only 60 days left on my visa? Will I still get 90 days? I know this sounds a bit confusing but my reasoning is if I take a 30 day extension it's going to cost the same as a 60 day extension.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi I have a mult.entry non o visa based on Thai marriage which I got mid July 2015. I did my first 90 days then got a 60 day extension after the following 90 days I did a border run. Now my question is if I do another 60 day extension I will only have about 60 days before my visa expires in mid July which will be the 12 month period will it make any difference with only 60 days left on my visa? Will I still get 90 days? I know this sounds a bit confusing but my reasoning is if I take a 30 day extension it's going to cost the same as a 60 day extension.

The visas expiration date is only the last day you can use the visa to enter the country and get a 90 day entry. It does limit the amount of time you can be in the country.

Ubonjoe thank you very much.

Please can you explain as I am very new to the visa scene why do you get an extension as your visa is still only valid for a year ? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I am genuinely unawares as to the advantage of an extension is ? Many thanks in advance ian

Ubonjoe thank you very much.

Please can you explain as I am very new to the visa scene why do you get an extension as your visa is still only valid for a year ? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I am genuinely unawares as to the advantage of an extension is ? Many thanks in advance ian

After you enter the country the visas expiration date means nothing. The visa only allows you to enter the country and get the number of days allowed by it.

Ok that bit I understand so I leave every 90 days which is 4 times for a multi non o which I have so the last time the visa will have expired so do I just renew in the nearest place to me which is nongbkhai or is there a cheaper way ?sorry your wealth of visa knowledge must be tested with my Virgin mentality but I really would like to know from the master then I know it's genuine thanks ubonjoe

Ok that bit I understand so I leave every 90 days which is 4 times for a multi non o which I have so the last time the visa will have expired so do I just renew in the nearest place to me which is nongbkhai or is there a cheaper way ?sorry your wealth of visa knowledge must be tested with my Virgin mentality but I really would like to know from the master then I know it's genuine thanks ubonjoe

You are doing the right thing in trying to get your head around these different things:

• Visa : with rare exceptions only issued at an embassy or consulate outside Thailand. This allows one or more entries into Thailand. The last entry must be made prior to the Enter Before date stamped on the visa.
  • Permission to stay, stamped in your passport at the time of entry. Depending on the type of visa you use when entering, you are granted a stay in Thailand up to and including an Admitted Until date. Note that

a) this can be later than the Enter Before date on your visa, so you might be allowed a 90-day stay until April 10 2016 when entering in January on a visa expiring in January;

B) a common mistake is planning to leave and reenter at the end of your permission to stay, forgetting to check the Enter Before date of your visa

• Extensions of your permission to stay. On various grounds, you can apply for an extension of your permission to stay. This is done at an immigration office inside Thailand. In many cases, it must be done at the immigration office that serves the area of your registered address within Thailand. When granted, the Admitted Until date of your permission to stay is updated so you can stay longer in Thailand without leaving. The length of the extension and conditions for granting it vary depending on the grounds for which the extension is requested. Near to the end of your permission to stay, when you have a visa which is still valid for exit and reentry, there is sometimes a choice as to whether to apply for an extension or do a border hop to activate a new entry. Which to choose can depend on personal circumstances.
  • Reentry permit. Usually, when you exit Thailand, your current permission to stay is canceled. If you want to be able to return with your current permission to stay intact, you can purchase a reentry permit. For example, you have a permission to stay until November 20 2016. You wish to spend March back in the US. You get a reentry permit, leave March 1, return March 31 and are readmitted to Thailand until the original date of November 20.

Hopefully, this clarifies the most critical concepts you need to be clear on. If (not unlikely) my explanation leaves questions unanswered, prompt me to do a better job.

• Like 1

You truly are a top man in these matters and have made things a lot clearer for me

Many thanks ubonjoe

If I can be cheeky enough to ask when it comes to renewing my non o visa what is the easiest route or place to go bearing in mind I'm residing in udon Thani it's just I've heard many bad stories about Laos crossings and overnighting with nothing to do there could you recommend for me your less stressful place to renew when the time comes

Again I really really appreciate your valuable knowledge on these confusing matters

Regards again ubonjoe

Ian

You truly are a top man in these matters and have made things a lot clearer for me

Many thanks ubonjoe

If I can be cheeky enough to ask when it comes to renewing my non o visa what is the easiest route or place to go bearing in mind I'm residing in udon Thani it's just I've heard many bad stories about Laos crossings and overnighting with nothing to do there could you recommend for me your less stressful place to renew when the time comes

Again I really really appreciate your valuable knowledge on these confusing matters

Regards again ubonjoe

Ian

You can get a new multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Savannakhet Laos. There is no place within the region where you can a visa on the same day you apply.

I have seen no reports of anybody having a problem entering at any border crossing with Laos that had a valid visa for entry.

• You can't get a 30 day extension on a non 'O' entry so 60 days would be the only option anyway.
  • If you qualify for a 60 day extension it will be granted regardless of when your visa expires.
  • Every entry is granted a 90 day stay even if you enter on the very last day ('enter before') before the visa expires.
  • To maximise the stay on this visa you should do a border hop close to the visas 'enter before' date. That gives you nearly 3 months beyond the visas expiry date, which can also be extended by 60 days giving a total stay of nearly 17 months before needing a new visa.

Ubon Joe,

My apologies if this is hijacking the post but I have a quick question.

I am on a Non Immigrant "O" with 5 months left on my "enter before date".

If I start a new job in China (4 weeks on / 1 week off in Thailand) do I need a re-entry permit or will I just receive 90 days from when I arrive back in Thailand ?

Cheers,

BB