BANGKOK
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Chiasm said:

oh, I thought it's 30 days via airports and 14 via land borders, is that no longer the case?

It was reduced to 15 days by land for non G7 nationals for a while, but it’s now back to 30 days for all entering under the Visa Exempt Scheme.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone.

National of Argentina under 90 day visa exempt. First of the year. I was planing going to Vientiane to get a 2 month tourist visa and come back. Would there be any problem with this? If not. What other options do I have? Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Eterno said:

Hi everyone.

National of Argentina under 90 day visa exempt. First of the year. I was planing going to Vientiane to get a 2 month tourist visa and come back. Would there be any problem with this? If not. What other options do I have? Thank you.

I think your plan looks good ... on the assumption that you have not applied for tourist visas in Vientiane before.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think your plan looks good ... on the assumption that you have not applied for tourist visas in Vientiane before.

I applied only once but last year. Is it true that now you have to get an appointment rather than walking in the consulate?

2 minutes ago, Eterno said:

I applied only once but last year. Is it true that now you have to get an appointment rather than walking in the consulate?

Yes, you must apply for an appointment. Start at https://www.thaivisavientiane.com/

Be aware that Vientiane now asks for things that were not demanded of repeat applicants in the past. In particular, make sure you have a recent bank statement when you apply. You may need it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, you must apply for an appointment. Start at https://www.thaivisavientiane.com/

Be aware that Vientiane now asks for things that were not demanded of repeat applicants in the past. In particular, make sure you have a recent bank statement when you apply. You may need it.

So if not which is the consulate in which is easier doing it nowadays?

2 hours ago, Eterno said:

So if not which is the consulate in which is easier doing it nowadays?

Things have tightened up generally at consulates in the region. You are likely to need bank statements and/or flights to and from Thailand pretty much wherever you apply. In some cases, you may need hotel reservations also.

If you can meet the requirements, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Yangon and Kuala Lumpur all seem OK. Vientiane (except for the appointment system) is still acceptable. Just be aware that it is not as easy as in the past.

Just went through up at Mae Sai last week while visiting Chiang Rai as our vacation takes me 5 days over my 30 days. No issues at all. Took less than 20 minutes. 500 baht to the Myanmar official, a walk across the street to get my passport and about a 15 minute wait at Thai immigration. Back on the road to sightsee!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hi!

I left Thailand in July, after 21 months living in the country, legally, using a combination of Visa exempt (maxed out: 1 in 2017; 2 each in 2018 & 2019); one Non-Immigrant B Visa in June, 2018; and two SETV's from Vientiane in September & December, 2018.

I am considering returning to Thailand in November, after nearly 4 months absence. Am I likely to have problems entering at Chiang Mai airport? Unlike previous trips, this time I do plan to leave some time in January, 2020, probably right at 60 days in Thailand.

My Thai living plan is now more in synch with the wishes of Thai authorities: I no longer want to live in Thailand full-time, rather, pop in for a few months every year or every few years. I've identified the period of Chinese New Year thru June as a time I do not want to be in Thailand, and the rest of the year as more desirable for spending a few months in the country.

27 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Hi!

I left Thailand in July, after 21 months living in the country, legally, using a combination of Visa exempt (maxed out: 1 in 2017; 2 each in 2018 & 2019); one Non-Immigrant B Visa in June, 2018; and two SETV's from Vientiane in September & December, 2018.

I am considering returning to Thailand in November, after nearly 4 months absence. Am I likely to have problems entering at Chiang Mai airport? Unlike previous trips, this time I do plan to leave some time in January, 2020, probably right at 60 days in Thailand.

My Thai living plan is now more in synch with the wishes of Thai authorities: I no longer want to live in Thailand full-time, rather, pop in for a few months every year or every few years. I've identified the period of Chinese New Year thru June as a time I do not want to be in Thailand, and the rest of the year as more desirable for spending a few months in the country.

It may get tough. Entering through Chiang Mai airport, as long as you have a visa, should be OK if the policies there remain as they have been in the past. Best for your plans would be to get an METV from home, and use friendly land crossings to enter Thailand as much as possible. You definitely risk being denied entry when flying in to a number of the major airports.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

You definitely risk being denied entry when flying in to a number of the major airports.

Thanks! I did notice the following...:

On 7/20/2019 at 12:17 AM, jacko45k said:

You can extend the 30 day entry (not a tourist visa but a Visa Exempt Entry). This can be done once. You can then apply to convert that extension to a Non-Imm-O Entry, which will give you a 3 month permission of stay and the ability to pursue a retirement extension. 

This was posted the day after I left Thailand!... I think I would have qualified.

Of course, now the challenge would be getting back in, which seems unlikely, even if only for 2 months. Chinese New Year comes early in 2020... I'd certainly want to be out by January 18!

Oh well, maybe next year. Hmm... I recall a post on this forum about Langkawi as an alterative...

Not living in Thailand full time is less convenient, but certainly ups the adventure of the trip!

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

use friendly land crossings to enter Thailand as much as possible

Which land crossings are currently considered friendly?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Scott3000 said:

Which land crossings are currently considered friendly?

About all of them but Poi Pet, Cambodia and Padang Besar, Mayalaysia.

Thanks Ubon Joe! 

I will keep this in mind for next trip!

Edited by Scott3000