Jump to content
BANGKOK
ubonjoe

Border Run Alternatives

Recommended Posts

On 11/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

 

Or the crossing in Hat Lek in Trat province.

Is that the Khlong Yai - Cham Yeam crossing? 

Cham Yeam is shown as an evisa entry and thinking of doing a border run to there, used the Chantaburi crossings in the past which are more convenient but not listed as evisa.

Also used Poipet in the past and said never again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Is that the Khlong Yai - Cham Yeam crossing? 

Cham Yeam is shown as an evisa entry and thinking of doing a border run to there, used the Chantaburi crossings in the past which are more convenient but not listed as evisa.

Also used Poipet in the past and said never again.

Yes, it is Cham Yeam (Koh Kong province) on the Cambodian side, and Hat Lek (Khlong Yai district of Trad province) on the Thai side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes, it is Cham Yeam (Koh Kong province) on the Cambodian side, and Hat Lek (Khlong Yai district of Trad province) on the Thai side.

Google maps shows it as Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint, wouldn't be better to call it that, what happened to the pedantic terminology brigade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Google maps shows it as Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint, wouldn't be better to call it that, what happened to the pedantic terminology brigade.

You have a point. Since you asked for being pedantic, let's lose the "h" in "Khlong". Thai Immigration's stamps at this border post read "Klong Yai", so that's as official as it gets. 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sandyf said:

Google maps shows it as Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint, wouldn't be better to call it that, what happened to the pedantic terminology brigade.

It will not usually matter whether you ask to go to the Khlong Yai border crossing or to Hat Lek. The only danger is that someone who does not know English very well might direct you to Khlong Yai town (about half an hour from the border). If you ask for Hat Lek, there is no possibility of misunderstanding. On the other hand, if searching for information about the border crossing online, it is advisable to try all the different ways the crossing is sometimes referred to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sandyf said:

Google maps shows it as Khlong Yai Border Checkpoint, wouldn't be better to call it that, what happened to the pedantic terminology brigade.

In it's early days it was Had Lek border, and I remember using it a couple of times. The old name tends to stick in one's head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

In it's early days it was Had Lek border, and I remember using it a couple of times. The old name tends to stick in one's head. 

Thanks, and I would agree with the sentiment.

Something people should remember then taking others to task over how things are said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. I hope you are all doing good.

I read the last 10 pages of this subject and I was thinking that it would be easy to leave the country and come back with visa on arrival (?) but i am kind of confused so i would like to learn what you suggest me to do....

 

Turkish Passport

First arrival to Thailand: 15th of July 2019 (visa on arrival) - (30 days visa exemption)

First visa extension: 08th of August (Pattaya Immigration) - Got an extension valid till 12th of September

Found a 3 months contract job on August 14th in Chachoengsao, got my Non-B without leaving the country on 10th of September (3 months Nonb valid until 8th of December).

I left my job (They didn't cancel the contract but I have an official paper from the school stating that I left the company because the contract was for 3 months).

I want to stay for another month and travel in Thailand and then off to USA. 

 

The last time I was in Thailand was 2015 July and only stayed 15 days, came with visa on arrival.

Before I visited Thailand on 2011, 2013 and 2015 (as mentioned above), never overstayed or extended visa or did border-run, or flied to another country and came back with another visa/extension etc. My passport is totally clean and didn't receive any refusals. 

 

So this is my question for you and I hope you can help me to make a decision cause I need to do it in 2 days?:)

I was planning to take a minivan (or bus) from Pattaya to Cambodia border and come back the same day. Today I went to the Pattaya Immigration and there is an visa agency there. The expat guy working there told me that if I go to Cambodia border, they will only give me 2 weeks of visa (?) when I re-enter Thailand. And he said 'better prepare 2000 baht to pay them'. I was reading the posts and I heard that now even the Non G7 countries can get extra 30 days if they leave the country and come back (is it called border run?). I thanked him and walked away.

 

Saw another office with visa-run sign outside and talked with the lady. She called someone and talked on the phone and asked if my passport (Turkish) can go to Cambodia border with a bus and then do the border-run and come back to Thailand with 30 days (exemption?visa?). The man told her 'No, he can't.' She was not trying to sell me anything and even told me to fly and save some time and money and advised me to book online for cheap tickets. Or she told me to go to the border one way from Pattaya and from there find a way to fly back to Thailand.... So i am kind of confused now.

 

Some of the posts you posted suggesting to skip the well-known airports because they are stricter then before. Some of the posts were stating that the border-run 15-days thing is now 30 days. So please help me out and tell me what do you suggest me to do?

 

I have never done border-run before in Thailand. My passport has 2011, 2013, 2015, 2019 entry stamps of Thai customs at the airport. And there is a nonb visa from September to December 8th 2019.

Question:) What do you suggest me to do? My nonb expires on 8th of December and I want to stay another 30 days in this country.

 

Your answers are appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, visaissueboy said:

Hello. I hope you are all doing good.

I read the last 10 pages of this subject and I was thinking that it would be easy to leave the country and come back with visa on arrival (?) but i am kind of confused so i would like to learn what you suggest me to do....

 

Turkish Passport

First arrival to Thailand: 15th of July 2019 (visa on arrival) - (30 days visa exemption)

First visa extension: 08th of August (Pattaya Immigration) - Got an extension valid till 12th of September

Found a 3 months contract job on August 14th in Chachoengsao, got my Non-B without leaving the country on 10th of September (3 months Nonb valid until 8th of December).

I left my job (They didn't cancel the contract but I have an official paper from the school stating that I left the company because the contract was for 3 months).

I want to stay for another month and travel in Thailand and then off to USA. 

 

The last time I was in Thailand was 2015 July and only stayed 15 days, came with visa on arrival.

Before I visited Thailand on 2011, 2013 and 2015 (as mentioned above), never overstayed or extended visa or did border-run, or flied to another country and came back with another visa/extension etc. My passport is totally clean and didn't receive any refusals. 

 

So this is my question for you and I hope you can help me to make a decision cause I need to do it in 2 days?:)

I was planning to take a minivan (or bus) from Pattaya to Cambodia border and come back the same day. Today I went to the Pattaya Immigration and there is an visa agency there. The expat guy working there told me that if I go to Cambodia border, they will only give me 2 weeks of visa (?) when I re-enter Thailand. And he said 'better prepare 2000 baht to pay them'. I was reading the posts and I heard that now even the Non G7 countries can get extra 30 days if they leave the country and come back (is it called border run?). I thanked him and walked away.

 

Saw another office with visa-run sign outside and talked with the lady. She called someone and talked on the phone and asked if my passport (Turkish) can go to Cambodia border with a bus and then do the border-run and come back to Thailand with 30 days (exemption?visa?). The man told her 'No, he can't.' She was not trying to sell me anything and even told me to fly and save some time and money and advised me to book online for cheap tickets. Or she told me to go to the border one way from Pattaya and from there find a way to fly back to Thailand.... So i am kind of confused now.

 

Some of the posts you posted suggesting to skip the well-known airports because they are stricter then before. Some of the posts were stating that the border-run 15-days thing is now 30 days. So please help me out and tell me what do you suggest me to do?

 

I have never done border-run before in Thailand. My passport has 2011, 2013, 2015, 2019 entry stamps of Thai customs at the airport. And there is a nonb visa from September to December 8th 2019.

Question:) What do you suggest me to do? My nonb expires on 8th of December and I want to stay another 30 days in this country.

 

Your answers are appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Usually, you should be able to get a visa exempt entry at a land crossing. However, I am aware that some nationalities can have problems at certain crossings. The visa run companies may be aware of problems for Turkish nationals at the crossing they use.  Although more costly, your safest bet might be to travel to a land crossing with Malaysia or Laos for your border bounce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BritTim said:

Usually, you should be able to get a visa exempt entry at a land crossing. However, I am aware that some nationalities can have problems at certain crossings. The visa run companies may be aware of problems for Turkish nationals at the crossing they use.  Although more costly, your safest bet might be to travel to a land crossing with Malaysia or Laos for your border bounce.

Thanks. What you mean is fly to Malaysia/Laos and take the land crossing back to Thailand?

And what if i follow a plan like that; fly to malaysia/indonesia/laos/cambodia - spend 1-2 days

and then fly to another country near by and then fly back to thailand (bangkok?). would that work too? airplanes are expensive but at least not complicated as land crossings (land crossings probably are not complicated but i have no idea what to do so it looks a little complicated to me now).

thanks for your feedback btw 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, visaissueboy said:

Thanks. What you mean is fly to Malaysia/Laos and take the land crossing back to Thailand?

And what if i follow a plan like that; fly to malaysia/indonesia/laos/cambodia - spend 1-2 days

and then fly to another country near by and then fly back to thailand (bangkok?). would that work too? airplanes are expensive but at least not complicated as land crossings (land crossings probably are not complicated but i have no idea what to do so it looks a little complicated to me now).

thanks for your feedback btw 

Some land crossings can be complicated, but most are not too bad. The main issue you can run into is the scams that must sometimes be avoided.

 

A rather uncomfortable option (but making things really simple) is to use a visa run company going to Savannakhet, Laos. The downside is that you will need an overnight stay in Savannakhet as most are going for visas.

 

A better option is to fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Some land crossings can be complicated, but most are not too bad. The main issue you can run into is the scams that must sometimes be avoided.

 

A rather uncomfortable option (but making things really simple) is to use a visa run company going to Savannakhet, Laos. The downside is that you will need an overnight stay in Savannakhet as most are going for visas.

 

A better option is to fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

Thanks Tim. So are you telling me that this is an option? fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

is this option better than just flying to another country nearby and then fly to another country nearby and then come back to thailand (with a flight)? Or there is still a risk of me being rejected if i do these flights? I am talking about flying to singapore and stay 1-2 nights and then fly to malaysia and stay 1-2 nights and then fly back to thailand... don't you think it would look like i am doing some travels? Or am i talking non sense here?

thanks for your support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, visaissueboy said:

Thanks Tim. So are you telling me that this is an option? fly to Vientiane, return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai in Thailand, take a van to Udon Thani airport, and fly back via Bangkok or U-Tapao (nearer to Pattaya).

is this option better than just flying to another country nearby and then fly to another country nearby and then come back to thailand (with a flight)? Or there is still a risk of me being rejected if i do these flights? I am talking about flying to singapore and stay 1-2 nights and then fly to malaysia and stay 1-2 nights and then fly back to thailand... don't you think it would look like i am doing some travels? Or am i talking non sense here?

thanks for your support.

Flying in for a visa exempt entry will probably be OK. The number of countries you visit outside Thailand is almost certainly irrelevant, but staying out a few days may be prudent when returning by air.

 

I suggested the land crossing because I am not sure how Immigration views Turkish nationals arriving by air. I wanted to suggest what my instincts tell me is safest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Usually, you should be able to get a visa exempt entry at a land crossing. However, I am aware that some nationalities can have problems at certain crossings. The visa run companies may be aware of problems for Turkish nationals at the crossing they use.  Although more costly, your safest bet might be to travel to a land crossing with Malaysia or Laos for your border bounce.

I just checked a border run company's website and there is not mention of those from Turkey having a problem entering Cambodia and entering Thailand visa exempt.

Entering Laos without a visa is not a option for you since you do not qualify to get a visa on arrival. You have to apply at a embassy or consulate for a tourist visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...