Starting a new farm bussiness

sencelebi

Hello everyone,

I live in USA and visited Thailand twice.
I am planning to establish a catfish farm or a pig farm in Thailand.
Can anybody give me some information about where the catfish and pig wholesalers in north of Phuket?
I did try to do search on the internet but no luck.
Also I need information about leasing a land. How can I find the real estate broker and so.
I have a Thai fiance but she has no clue about all these. Any information will be helpful.
Thank you in advance.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to discourage dreamers but living in Thailand makes you see it in a very different light from someone that has just visited. At the moment you are setting yourself up to be ripped off big time, forget about finding friendly lawyers off the internet, information about markets and agricultural practice in any language but Thai.... Have you looked into business law, eligibility of foreigners to run a business here, visa implications, I doubt it.

I can provide you with as many pigs as you need, very good price :)

Seriously, have you read the farming forum properly ? If not then I suggest you do ..

Hobby farms are great, I have one myself but there is no way I could live off it. In fact it costs me money, so it's lucky I'm still working. Love my animals but would not recommend a business in fish or pigs.

Don't put any money into it that you can't afford to lose.

You may have the skills and intelligence to run a successful operation. But the misinformation, the small profit margins, the dishonesty of suppliers, and the hardened inside group of middlemen and markets will apply tremendous gravity to your plans.

If your wife has no knowledge of the business and no inside friends, your up against it big time.

As suggested,read thru the pigs thread and up on right hand side of page search for catfish topics.

Treat it as a hobby and see how it goes.

You may have trouble leasing land at a decent price on a tourist island but if you manage to pick some up probably best to live on it as well.

If your wife/girlfriend isn't helping now you will have to learn very quick,the systems of farming here are completely different to western countries.

Oh,and if you want to make some beer money you have to do everything yourself and pigs are 7 days a week.

Good luck.

Looks like most of you reply to my post is a financial advisor. Replies has no information about what I asked for. I don't need business advice since I am a successful business owner last 26 yrs. And I am planning to retire in Thailand and do the farm in a big scale as a hobby. The reason I want to do it in Thailand is alot less money then U.S. The farm I am planning to establish will cost me about $3 million in U.S. and employees will cost me much more higher than U.S.

You guys don't worry how much money I can loose or how much money I can afford to loose.

Please don't reply If you are not going to give me the right answers to my questions.

Looks like most of you reply to my post is a financial advisor. Replies has no information about what I asked for. I don't need business advice since I am a successful business owner last 26 yrs. And I am planning to retire in Thailand and do the farm in a big scale as a hobby. The reason I want to do it in Thailand is alot less money then U.S. The farm I am planning to establish will cost me about $3 million in U.S. and employees will cost me much more higher than U.S.

You guys don't worry how much money I can loose or how much money I can afford to loose.

Please don't reply If you are not going to give me the right answers to my questions.

Officially one of the prohibited occupations for foreigners is farming. Try to get around that one the moment your successful and people want to stop you. Sorry but that would just make it so easy for the competition to put you out of the game.

2nd post,you aint gonna win many friends or your a troll.

In a big scale as a hobby...

So what now, hobby or big scale and commercially successful? I didn't get it. Or is your hobby losing money on investments? But then you're not a good businessman, right?

But to your question, pig production is in the hand of the two big players, CP and Betagro. Not impossible, but difficult to make profit. Same for catfish, why you choose this fish? As you're a rather small business you should go for something special. Organic for example, or some special pig breed with good meat quality. For fish marine aquaculture with grouper. Or freshwater with giant Shrimp or Soldier croaker (Boesemania microlepsis) fish. My professor said you can't beat the big ones in their market, but they have weak points. He used to say their minor is my major. Good luck!

In a big scale as a hobby...

So what now, hobby or big scale and commercially successful? I didn't get it. Or is your hobby losing money on investments? But then you're not a good businessman, right?

But to your question, pig production is in the hand of the two big players, CP and Betagro. Not impossible, but difficult to make profit. Same for catfish, why you choose this fish? As you're a rather small business you should go for something special. Organic for example, or some special pig breed with good meat quality. For fish marine aquaculture with grouper. Or freshwater with giant Shrimp or Soldier croaker (Boesemania microlepsis) fish. My professor said you can't beat the big ones in their market, but they have weak points. He used to say their minor is my major. Good luck!

CP and Betagro are two top producer in catfish feed manufacturer, how did you know for a fact that catfish farmers are not making a good profit ?

Do you know the stocking rate for fingerling in a 1 rai pond for intensive farming ? At what water depth and how or when to adjust according to fishes growth ? Do you know what feed brand and what feed series to use, producing what ADG, FCR and what yield ? Did you actually farm fish ? or are you more of a theorist rather than a practical doing the investment and doing things hands on ? That's a lot more like wholesalers, farmgate prices, seasons.... I could go on and on.......

gigglem.gifcoffee1.gif

Another miserable click bait thread started by a paid troll.

If you have 3 million US dollars to slosh around why the hell are you here trying to get free advice on farming on a visa website.

First of all you need to understand what you are reading. Did I say I have $3 million? I guess some of you guys have nothing better to do but just read treads and reply BS instead of sharing knowledge. But I know you have to have an idea to share or knowledge

If you have 3 million US dollars to slosh around why the hell are you here trying to get free advice on farming on a visa website.

First of all you need to understand what you are reading. Did I say I have $3 million? I guess some of you guys have nothing better to do but just read treads and reply BS instead of sharing knowledge. But I know you have to have an idea to share or knowledge

Looks like you'll be on your own with that attitude..

Farming forum is generally a helpful place for people willing to listen and share info.

I suggest you and GF come on over and start your research on the ground in Phuket.

I'm doing intensive catfish farming on a commercial scale, 500'000 catfishes per season... No I didn't study agriculture, just a profit making hands on type catfish farmer. laugh.png

Okay, then congratulations. And I mean it as I say, not sarcastic. Not so many successful farming business here...

All the best for your business!

Farming forum is generally a helpful place for people willing to listen and share info.

I suggest you and GF come on over and start your research on the ground in Phuket.

I am not looking for partner anyways. I am on my own. I listen people when they share their knowledge if they have that knowledge. Yes forums are helpful place. But read your own replies. Are you trying to be helpful or just trying to be negative? And how you can expect me to listen to you or expect help from you since you are not a farmer but negative personality. Good luck to you.

I am not looking for partner anyways. I am on my own. I listen people when they share their knowledge if they have that knowledge. Yes forums are helpful place. But read your own replies. Are you trying to be helpful or just trying to be negative? And how you can expect me to listen to you or expect help from you since you are not a farmer but negative personality. Good luck to you.

As you seem to know everything already I for one won't waste any more time trying to help. I think you annoyed just about everybody that bothered to answer. You won't get far with that attitude in Thailand.

Officially one of the prohibited occupations for foreigners is farming. Try to get around that one the moment your successful and people want to stop you. Sorry but that would just make it so easy for the competition to put you out of the game.

I know all about the laws.This will be joint venture with my fiancé since she is an American Thai.But she has no clue about land and wholesalers since she is living in America for too long. I know there are 2 big corporations in Thailand and they control almost everything. I/we are not thinking about or have financial ability to compete with those guys. both of those corporations are nearly global corporations. We are thinking only either 2000-3000 pig farm or about 40 rai fish farm. If we decide to move there and retire.

Archived