Starting a new farm bussiness

sencelebi

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any Cobra farm ? Scopion farm ? in Thailand ?

suck out their venon and make big money .

hows my idea good or not ?

I don't know about that.

But if you want something exotic you can:

- raise crocodiles for leather, meat and blood. Yes, blood. You can tap it as us humans for blood donation. It's then processed to some kind of medicine and sold mainly to China.

- raise monitor lizard (hia) for leather

- breed some certain species of monitor for export as a pet to EU and US. A friend of mine once visited this mind of farm in Indonesia. And the retail price to the customer is around 500€ per juvenile animal

Is there any Cobra farm ? Scopion farm ? in Thailand ?

suck out their venon and make big money .

hows my idea good or not ?

I don't know about that.

But if you want something exotic you can:

- raise crocodiles for leather, meat and blood. Yes, blood. You can tap it as us humans for blood donation. It's then processed to some kind of medicine and sold mainly to China.

- raise monitor lizard (hia) for leather

- breed some certain species of monitor for export as a pet to EU and US. A friend of mine once visited this mind of farm in Indonesia. And the retail price to the customer is around 500€ per juvenile animal

He's thinking about "get rich quick scheme"...wasting time talking to him. laugh.png

Farming is about passion... and doing it right by having the right connection will allow you to create a bigger profitable output in commercial scale level. Just having the capital to invest big without knowing how to do it will not work out. I do agreed that finding the buyer is equally important.

I started catfish farming in the year 2000. It takes many years to reach my current production level and have been maintaining this current production level for 3 years already. There's no short cut in learning the trade... even with a mentor you're still learning... Hands on teaches every aspect and detail... May it be live stock or agriculture.

The first thing I would look at is who is going to buy all these Catfish or Pigs

I was going to produce,is there a local wholesale market,as fish and pigs

don't travel well.

regards worgeordie

That's what I'm asking on my first post.Looks like couple of farmers replied but I guess they don't want to give out any info.

And someone said American writes like a European. I can't see his post but yes buddy you got that right. I'm a European American . Is that a problem with farming? Trying to be a smart ass don't always pay.

That's how it should be... I started with 10'000...

Just think about it, I'm not the only one doing 500'000. You need to get a queue number for harvest...

I just want to rent or long term lease the 40 rai for the future use. That doesn't mean I will start with 35 ponds and 4 million fishes. I have read some posts on other forums from few farmers who harvest 2 or 3 million fishes in a year but their posts were about year old so i assume they don't log in since I never got a reply. Or they don't want to give any info for not to have competition.

The first thing I would look at is who is going to buy all these Catfish or Pigs

I was going to produce,is there a local wholesale market,as fish and pigs

don't travel well.

regards worgeordie

That's what i am asking on my first post.Where are the wholesalers?

You are too new to this forum and new members usually come to the farming forum looking for wholersalers contact...

Even in conducting business face to face, warming up the atmosphere with greeting and polite tone helps...and after a few more meeting when people are more comfortable with each other would then enhance the level of communication.

This farming forum of TV is not only about sharing information only... it is also a place for people with the same interest in certain farming topics to come together comparing notes or to have some casual discussion.

As for wholesalers contact, it's a high value information and closely guarded... because farmers go through a lot hard work and up and down to get to where they are and will never share easily.

A better social etiqette and softer tone approach would help to gain more support for your cause.

This forum and it's members can provide you with some information but if you think they gonna do your business plan for you, you are in the wrong place.

But in your case with sufficient money why don't you hire a consultant? There is a Thai company called SGS. They will do everything for you. From finding the right location, negotiations with locals and local administration and supply for feed, animal stock and wholesalers

Looks like most of you reply to my post is a financial advisor. Replies has no information about what I asked for. I don't need business advice since I am a successful business owner last 26 yrs. And I am planning to retire in Thailand and do the farm in a big scale as a hobby. The reason I want to do it in Thailand is alot less money then U.S. The farm I am planning to establish will cost me about $3 million in U.S. and employees will cost me much more higher than U.S.

You guys don't worry how much money I can loose or how much money I can afford to loose.

Please don't reply If you are not going to give me the right answers to my questions.

Officially one of the prohibited occupations for foreigners is farming. Try to get around that one the moment your successful and people want to stop you. Sorry but that would just make it so easy for the competition to put you out of the game.

I know all about the laws.This will be joint venture with my fiancé since she is an American Thai.But she has no clue about land and wholesalers since she is living in America for too long. I know there are 2 big corporations in Thailand and they control almost everything. I/we are not thinking about or have financial ability to compete with those guys. both of those corporations are nearly global corporations. We are thinking only either 2000-3000 pig farm or about 40 rai fish farm. If we decide to move there and retire.

How does a joint venture make it any less a prohibited occupation for foreigners ? Could you explain that to me.

This forum and it's members can provide you with some information but if you think they gonna do your business plan for you, you are in the wrong place.

But in your case with sufficient money why don't you hire a consultant? There is a Thai company called SGS. They will do everything for you. From finding the right location, negotiations with locals and local administration and supply for feed, animal stock and wholesalers

Now I call this helpful information. Instead of BS.. thanks.

If you are not careful...you will fail. This isn't BS.

The culture is different, working attitude is different...

You could hire SGS to do the ground work but once they are off, you will be on your own.

From the looks of it, you tend to be more on the management side of things instead off doing the learning curve.

If your plan is to retire then why all this commitment to do such big investment ? If you fail it won't be retirement anymore.

You could hire SGS to do the ground work but once they are off, you will be on your own.

From the looks of it, you tend to be more on the management side of things instead off doing the learning curve.

If your plan is to retire then why all this commitment to do such big investment ? If you fail it won't be retirement anymore.

I don't think its a such a big investment compare to US. And of course I am not planning to invest all my savings.its just a portion of it. it will be hobby for me because I always wanted to have a farm but it's a such a big investment in the US and so many regulations,so much overhead. This way I will satisfy my self and also it will be a employment opportunities for my fiancé's family.As you know Thai families are so large.There are pig farm and fish farm workers in the family so finding right employees is not a problem.Problem is they only know how to work.They are not any help about finding right land and wholesalers. Thanks.

That's how it should be... I started with 10'000...

Just think about it, I'm not the only one doing 500'000. You need to get a queue number for harvest...

I just want to rent or long term lease the 40 rai for the future use. That doesn't mean I will start with 35 ponds and 4 million fishes. I have read some posts on other forums from few farmers who harvest 2 or 3 million fishes in a year but their posts were about year old so i assume they don't log in since I never got a reply. Or they don't want to give any info for not to have competition.

I know people who are harvesting 5 million and 8 million catfishes per year in the northern region, all selling to the local market. But when hit-the-fan.gif ...supply and demand slows down, they are stuck. Force to sell at a loss due to over size, owners almost went mad. crazy.gif

I'm doing 1.5 million per year (500'00 x 3 season)... Sabai Sabai ~~~

I don't think its a such a big investment compare to US. And of course I am not planning to invest all my savings.its just a portion of it. it will be hobby for me because I always wanted to have a farm but it's a such a big investment in the US and so many regulations,so much overhead. This way I will satisfy my self and also it will be a employment opportunities for my fiancé's family.As you know Thai families are so large.There are pig farm and fish farm workers in the family so finding right employees is not a problem.Problem is they only know how to work.They are not any help about finding right land and wholesalers. Thanks.
I don't want to insult your family or Thai people in general but the knowledge and working attitude is different to western countries. You will see when you're here and started your farm.

I don't want to insult your family or Thai people in general but the knowledge and working attitude is different to western countries. You will see when you're here and started your farm.

I know their attitude very well. We ve been together for 9 years and almost every 3 months a family member comes to visit us. And 12 of them immigrated here and works for me.

So the 12 family members working for you (in the US I assume), they will follow you back to Thailand to work on your farm? If it is, that's hard to believe. Sorry...

No . They will stay here. There are about 700 more family members in Thailand.As you know Thai's have big families.We will have our Thai wedding ceremony there and they are planning to invite about 900 people.

I guess the op considers everyone called ''yai'' is a grandmother and ''pee'' as a sister to his wife to be and / or her, immediate family.

he will have a hefty sin sod to pay to impress any family of 7 to 800. must be breeding like rabbits. The 12 in the US will take control of local politics in a couple generations if they are that profolic.

The OP is clearly asking for the "right advice". Why is nobody giving it to him ? The "right advice" is :

- Stay in Thailand for the duration of 6 months and check out the in's and out's of the business he is interested in on location. In this case , Phuket. BEFORE INVESTING A SINGLE DIME !

After doing some research on location (including considering the legal-side, describing "Investors-Rights" for Farangs, or the lack thereof ), I am confident that OP's hunger to invest in Thailand will the greatly diminished.

Only way to go for the OP. Everything else is just "keyboard-abuse".

Cheers.

The OP is clearly asking for the "right advice". Why is nobody giving it to him ? The "right advice" is :

- Stay in Thailand for the duration of 6 months and check out the in's and out's of the business he is interested in on location. In this case , Phuket. BEFORE INVESTING A SINGLE DIME !

After doing some research on location (including considering the legal-side, describing "Investors-Rights" for Farangs, or the lack thereof ), I am confident that OP's hunger to invest in Thailand will the greatly diminished.

Cheers.

Post #22

Thats what I told him already.

Plus be a bit less aggressive in his responses.

Finally, read the farming forum a little more in depth, the info he needs is in there.

Cheers.

I agree come over here ,rent a house ,and do a rekey on every thing .

One thing I noticed the op wants to lease land ,over the past 11 years we have leased /rented 3 lots of land ,and lost the lot ,2 being sold by the owner ,the other put the rent up ,made it not viable for us to farm ,a Thai friend of mine has a 12 year lease on a 20 rie of land all slopes and bumps ,most can not be ploughed ,built a small milking parlour , a cattle shed ,and a small basic house now milking a small herd of cows ,doing ok ,and now the owner wants to sell the land ,wants 3-4 million Bart ,which he would never get..

I have vision's of the OP with his pig sheds ,and fish ponds, up and running the owner decides to sell the land ,then what , does your Thai wife still have an Thai id card and a house registration book ,and buy some land ? or your extended family ,if you can trust them ,when you do your rekey, find a good lawyer and get a very tight land lease.

One thing ,unknown to me our ex and only fuel garage in our town, was built on rented land been they 20 years +,land prices have gone up a lot ,the owner of the land said I will sell you the land ,for 10 million Bart ,garage owner did not have the money ,the land owner said no money ,get out ,now it is a block of 3 story lock ups ,do not know the politics behind it all ,but it can happen.

Many of the replies are rather mean spirited, BUT, other than the bar business farming is a tough job with very little profit. You have gotten accurate advice from people who have been here a long time.

Archived