IP address tool - What is my IP address

george

According to that site I'm anonymous.

According to my account name, what I say, where I act, what details I slowly leak, and much more - I'm not anonymous at all. That applies to most of us.

Myran.

that is exactly why I used the proxy to see if the proxy was able to be identified.

It was not identified as a proxy service.

I use an I.P. address finder which actually tells me when an address is via a proxy; the tool also tells me if the site is known as a spamming site .Now that is a proper I.P. address identifying tool not some gimcrack half cock tool.

Well it did correctly get my IP address. Wrong location and post code though. There are loads of these sites out there, and none I have seen will usually get your accurate location.

Because.....the location it reports will probably be that of the ISP, rather than yourself.

EG mine shows up as being in London whereas I'm actually some way south

See the attached screenshot, where I've (obviously) omitted the details and just left the table headings in situ. Under "ISP" it shows the name of the ISP itself.

This applies to dynamic ISPs - not sure about fixed ones

post-30368-0-05156400-1442818936_thumb.j

Edited by VBF

I am not sure what you mean there by "cached data", George. All IP services as these look at the public IP address you are coming from when you hit them. They look that up and return the record associated with that IP address, which of course will not be your actual location. Change your IP address by way of VPN or whatever, and it will return that IP's information. That would be "fresh" information each time you hit it.

So my question is: what is cached with all the other services?

is there anyway to know where an email comes from if it goes through Gmail, yahoo, HotMail etc to get to you ?

If you are in Outlook(Hotmail), click on the 3 dots at the end of the menu bar and take the bottom option 'View message source' It should show the message path.

I have my googlemail come into Outlook so same applies but I do not know about yahoo as I never use it.

• 1 month later...

GeoIP services mostly have to reply on the MaxMind GeoIP database. There are various versions available from free to subscription based services.

There's a useful demo here : https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

You can enter a bunch of IP addresses and it tells you the location.

Normally it returns the details pertaining to the registered owner of the IP address, often the head office of the ISP.

However it's normally a completely different story when it comes to corporate and government connections, these reveal a lot more information then you might expect.

You can see government departments, large multi nationals, etc if you process your IP's using systems like this.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2015-09-19 at 4:44 AM, happynthailand said:

mine said that I was(am) out side of Washington D.C

Wow! If you are in Thailand that seems really strange. They usually show better than that. For me they get my exact location. 
Are you using a VPN service or an anonymous proxy when surfing the net?

On 2015-09-19 at 3:10 AM, BKKdreaming said:

is there anyway to know where an email comes from if it goes through Gmail, yahoo, HotMail etc to get to you ?

I can see that everybody gives you a bit of different information. The thing that is right in all information is that you find the information about that in the e-mails header.
The ways of finding that information is different regarding what e-mial out of the once you namne that you want to check.
The thing with the header though, is when you get the information up it´s sometimes hard to understand what to look for.
For that you will have to search google for learning to understand and translate the header way of describing things.
There is a lot of information about it on Internet, but it´s actually hard to get down to who sent the e-mail. Mostly you will get to a point where you will know the country or city it came from.

IP address tool - what is my IP address?
Check it out! How anonymous are you on the 'net?
http://digmyip.net

Useless, puts me 140km from where I live and guaranteed there is no ISP offices in that area. Another similar program puts me in Bangkok which is 400km in the other direction from home. [emoji56]

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2016 at 8:50 AM, Ron19 said:

Useless, puts me 140km from where I live and guaranteed there is no ISP offices in that area. Another similar program puts me in Bangkok which is 400km in the other direction from home. emoji56.png

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

The IP Address tool is primarily used to give you your working/facing IP Address to the Internet, NOT your physical address (unless you posted that as a joke).

The physical geo-location addresses found included with many of the IP Address services are culled from records when the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority issues large blocks of IP addresses to Internet Providers, who in turn list a common address for where the addresses will be in use in the transfer paperwork.

Some companies, like Google, can pinpoint your exact location by surreptitiously recording the current GPS coordinates of mobile phone users when they use local WiFi connections. That GPS coordinate is then stored in a database alongside the MAC (Machine Access Code) address of any connected equipment, so that Google can then 'know' your physical location later on, even if you don't have GPS.

I've run into some instances when company Gateways, Routers or WiFi Access Points have been moved from Germany to Singapore and google used the previous associated recorded location to auto-identify where I am and what language to present in their interface. What a mess. 

So, only those companies that have access to crowd-sourced location services or actual GPS can give you your near or exact location. Everyone else uses the records on file ...which explains the use of Bangkok, the location of the NOC (Network Operations Center). 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...