'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

So his wife is in prison and got 4 years, but then he goes on to say he doesn't think she made much money selling everything off ! then he wonders how he got in this mess, the average thai bird from a bar isn't going to have the knowledge to pull of a scam like this,

I don't think these people who helped her just one day knocked on her door and said do you want to sell all your assets to us for next to nothing, she had to be up to no good maybe a Thai b/f or gambling debts.

Then after all this losing his life savings he gets another Thai girl and knocks out another kid !

Sounds like the wife started borrowing money, quite common with Thai people, might be to help her familly without the husband's knowledge. Loan shark interest is typically 1% per day, easy to rack up a big debt.

Loan shark's would apply great pressure and they know how to initiate and execute the fraud.

I myself could have easily ended up in the same situation with my wife (now 20 years), we have a number of rental properties. I was always well aware that I could loose everything here in Thailand. That's why I have money/investements spread over a few countries with much stronger laws than Thailand. The law is a joke here. I know of a 30 year lease dispute that has been in court for 12 years now. We show for a hearing, judge is late, and cancels the hearing, wait a year for the next hearing date.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these comments about "Ian should have seen this coming" are unfair in my opinion.

The moral of the story here is never invest anything in Thailand that you aren't prepared to lose.

Because if the worst does happen and you find your self in the same situation as this Ian guy and Colin Vard then you ain't got a hope in hell of ever getting anything back.

Police aren't going to help you. Lawyers aren't going to help you. Courts aren't going to help you.

A long time expat I know, once told me that investing in Thailand is like putting money into a black hole. At the time I laughed at him for being so negative but the longer I stay here, the more I think that never have truer words been spoken.

really? you think his wife grew up dreaming about marring a man who looks like Ian?

You think Ian's wife is like "can't wait to have a sex with this man! he is way hotter than my Thai boyfriend from school!"

You ever see a man like Ian in a Thai music video? in a romance film? in a fashion magazine?

WAKE UP!

It is all a lie. The nicer, more naive you are, the faster you are eaten alive here.

Please. Men who come here to Thailand, retain control over your money. Live month to month. Be worth more alive than dead.

The best you can say is Ian had seven years of a really nice illusion. It cost him everything but his life. so far.

Look at him, look at her.

Everyone can see what's gonna happen ........ except him.

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

This isn't rocket science.

Age and weight have nothing to do with it. Men come here thinking people here have moral fiber. Sure the women are beautiful but I would marry a ugly woman with morals than a beautiful woman without in a culture that few if none of us truly can grasp.

All these comments about "Ian should have seen this coming" are unfair in my opinion.

The moral of the story here is never invest anything in Thailand that you aren't prepared to lose.

Because if the worst does happen and you find your self in the same situation as this Ian guy and Colin Vard then you ain't got a hope in hell of ever getting anything back.

Police aren't going to help you. Lawyers aren't going to help you. Courts aren't going to help you.

A long time expat I know, once told me that investing in Thailand is like putting money into a black hole. At the time I laughed at him for being so negative but the longer I stay here, the more I think that never have truer words been spoken.

really? you think his wife grew up dreaming about marring a man who looks like Ian?

You think Ian's wife is like "can't wait to have a sex with this man! he is way hotter than my Thai boyfriend from school!"

You ever see a man like Ian in a Thai music video? in a romance film? in a fashion magazine?

WAKE UP!

It is all a lie. The nicer, more naive you are, the faster you are eaten alive here.

Please. Men who come here to Thailand, retain control over your money. Live month to month. Be worth more alive than dead.

The best you can say is Ian had seven years of a really nice illusion. I cost him everything but his life. so far.

On reflection, you make some very valid points!

so super over weight Ian could not see this coming?

sorry to say, just look at the body language and expression on this wife's face in all the photos.

in the first 30 seconds you hear him say "... I was looking for a place with rule of law..."

are you completely clueless? everything in this video is what I found on google seven years ago on the first day researching Thailand. He must have never done a moments research.

I am sure Ian has a big heart, loved his wife and is a good and trusting person.

But you must have a healthy dose of paranoia to survive in Thailand.

Don't get married! Don't "buy" land. Assume nothing.

"so super over weight Ian could not see this coming?" - guessing you look like the Greek god Adonis? "People who live in glass houses......."

actually yes, i am very good looking. i grew up in Hollywood, that is why i can see this shit a mile away. I don't fall in love with the first beautiful girl I meet in Thailand because I have been with beautiful girls all my life.

I am not trying to experience something I never have before. I feel really badly for the guys who are suddenly for the first time in their lives "handsome". it is like a powerful drug. and you just want the lie to go on and on.

I am saying DON'T BE PLAYED. STAY IN CONTROL and be happy KNOWING IT IS FALSE.

The house looked like a bog standard 'Bangkok mansion' style, no way would it have cost 10 mil. Looks like the wife was on the make from the 'get go' Make a couple of mil. during the building, then steal it from the guy later, or play along until he dies seems to be the mindset.

Don't invest or bring more money to Thailand than you can afford to lose. The golden rule.

Knew a guy who was a former cop (retired). Big man who thought he could intimidate everyone, thought he knew everything, and was always right. Meets a girl who is 5 years younger than his youngest daughter, and 1/3 his size. Three months later they are married. Expensive church wedding and reception. Buys a pick up, 2 Honda PCX, thinking of building a house on property her parents own. Then realizes he really can't stand it here, and that every Thai he meets thinks he's a total "buffalo". Sells everything - at a major loss - takes wife and moves back to US. Total time in Thailand 6 months.

Goes back home with wife in tow. He buys nice land and house. She get's Green Card. Two days later she goes to the cops and files charges of "assault" and "abuse" against him. Files for divorce. She get's everything, and is now worth about 5 million U.S. He now owns nothing, and living off his cop retirement fund.

The sad part is, both me and my Thai wife tried to warn him. My wife knows the girl. But he swore she loved him, and his big 9-1/2 inches. From what my wife told me, she said the girl did NOT like sex with him, because it always hurt her, and she had at least one other lover on the side who could really please her. After an email from, detailing everything that happened, I sent one back with just 3 words - "You were warned!" I haven't heard from him since.

I feel conflicted about this. Part of me feels very sorry and a lot of pity for these two men and a hope that they will get a result. The other part thinks that it was so silly throw all your chips in when living in a corrupt mecca like Phuket and dealing in property. Ultimately it's the kids that suffer the most, mum in jail and dad has pee'd a load of money against the wall.

The cops, courts, army, politicians won't help you. You saw them all in the video, palming off responsibility "it's not my job". They don't give a rats behind as long as they get their piece of the pie.

I don't get it why so many here are blaming Ian and his choice of wife. The whole story here is not really about the wife, who apparently ended up in jail with no money. The story is about the legal system here and groups of people that manage to control it in their own way. The wife would not have been able to pull this off entirely on her own. If she had this plan already when they married or not is irrelevant.

criminal energy is not only in Thailand, happened around the world

The issue isnt about criminal activity, its that the legal system does not redress the criminal activity, that it extends right through the legal profession and judicial system, even with the denial of the issue by the Deputy Governor..

There is a fundamental lack of moral fiber running right through the system.. No desire on the part of the police, the judiciary, or the officers of government to do that which is obviously right.

WAKE UP!

The best you can say is Ian had seven years of a really nice illusion. I cost him everything but his life. so far.

Actually it is very common to see older successful Thai men, with a young hot woman (not his wife) who he is supporting..

Your not talking about a marriage of equals, where the wife is working hard to afford to live in her 8k a month 2 room moobaan home on 30 year credit.. Your talking about the life of a kept woman, theres trade offs.

The issue isnt about criminal activity, its that the legal system does not redress the criminal activity, that it extends right through the legal profession and judicial system, even with the denial of the issue by the Deputy Governor..

There is a fundamental lack of moral fiber running right through the system.. No desire on the part of the police, the judiciary, or the officers of government to do that which is obviously right.

As foreigners aren't supposed to buy property in Thailand, in person or by proxy, I can sort of understand the officials point of view.

Which essentially is,

"You come here, you break our property laws, then you want our help when it all goes wrong"

As foreigners aren't supposed to buy property in Thailand, in person or by proxy, I can sort of understand the officials point of view.

Which essentially is,

"You come here, you break our property laws, then you want our help when it all goes wrong"

You mean those laws that the Thais create systems to work around ??

He didnt own land.. He owned a minority stake in a company.. Colin had a lease..

This is what you need to remember when you come here to live which is nothing like vacationing here. This culture is 180 opposite to yours. Here family comes first and I mean first. What you think is love is really just respect of your ability to provide for her and her family. You will have her respect as long as you remember this. If you fail or even if she perceives that your not willing to do this then there is no such thing as forgiveness only revenge and compensation. And she will initiate a rather elaborate scheme to defraud you of your assets. She will do this to insure she can continue to live in the manner she has grown accustomed to. When she decides to leave you there will be no indicators. When she is ready to leave you will be blindsided. Take a look at some of the so called happily married foreigners who have that passive subdued demeanor. That is the face of a man that is at the mercy of a woman that can take everything he has and that which is signed in her name. You can't win for the police, the laws and a nation of Thais stand against you. Keep your head and a stash..

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

Maybe...but 15 years ago he probably looked considerably better. It's a sad story. He seems like a decent chap, the kids look nice and he is obviously a loving dad Let's not be tempted to blame the victim.

How many times have we all read on Thai Visa that the way he bought a home in Thailand is considered a good idea? I've known many men who have gone down the same road or the leasing property and buying a house idea. Buy a condo? What on earth for? If you rent you can leave. Old guys are going to be dead soon so who cares if the place appreciates?

Old guy rents home and wife and lives happily ever after after (not too long but happy). You want love/friendship get a dog and rent everything else.

Maybe...but 15 years ago he probably looked considerably better. It's a sad story. He seems like a decent chap, the kids look nice and he is obviously a loving dad Let's not be tempted to blame the victim.

Not sure about that,

15 years ago I looked just like him, now I look like a Greek Adonis .............. not everyone slides downhill.

PS

Not sure that photo is recent, it looks like their Thai wedding photo to me, which would make it 15 years old.

Short true personal story. I dated a Thai girl from a modest background. She was always coming up with a way I could help her have her own business. One day she suggested that she do small micro loans to small business owners and others with collateral. We agreed ed she would not to loan to FF&F (Friends, Family and Foreigners), nothing more than 200 dollars by signature and up to 10,000 dollars with verified, free and clear deeds, a 200,000 dollar limit in available capital in a calender year and a interest rate of 10% per month. Needles to say she became extremely popular with small business owners who need loans to expand their businesses. The first day she had lined up 5,000 dollars in small loans. We had also agreed each person must sign a loan agreement, supply a current national ID and fingerprint. The day before I was to give the 5,000 dollars one of her friends called to warn me against giving the money. She told me my girlfriend has a plan to defraud me of the entire 200,000 by loaning to her family and relatives and supplying fake documents, Id's etc. She said she would give the money to friends and family to keep for her and the loanee would pay interest the first month then run away making the loan non recoverable and soon after that disappear with my money. Needless to say I didn't give her the money. An argument in sued and we parted ways.

Archived