'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short true personal story. I dated a Thai girl from a modest background. She was always coming up with a way I could help her have her own business. One day she suggested that she do small micro loans to small business owners and others with collateral. We agreed ed she would not to loan to FF&F (Friends, Family and Foreigners), nothing more than 200 dollars by signature and up to 10,000 dollars with verified, free and clear deeds, a 200,000 dollar limit in available capital in a calender year and a interest rate of 10% per month. Needles to say she became extremely popular with small business owners who need loans to expand their businesses. The first day she had lined up 5,000 dollars in small loans. We had also agreed each person must sign a loan agreement, supply a current national ID and fingerprint. The day before I was to give the 5,000 dollars one of her friends called to warn me against giving the money. She told me my girlfriend has a plan to defraud me of the entire 200,000 by loaning to her family and relatives and supplying fake documents, Id's etc. She said she would give the money to friends and family to keep for her and the loanee would pay interest the first month then run away making the loan non recoverable and soon after that disappear with my money. Needless to say I didn't give her the money. An argument in sued and we parted ways.

Best decision you ever made. Money loaning can be a nasty business, best you can hope is just loosing money, worst can be you are dead.

Look at him, look at her.

Everyone can see what's gonna happen ........ except him.

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

This isn't rocket science.

You can see it....I can see it.....but there are a lot of dummies who can't see it. Beats me

MaeJoMTB you really are a heartless #$%#$%. God forbid anything bad should happen to you- but I expect that like all Farang Bashers on here, you'd still expect your case to be unique. Cut the guy some slack, this could happen to any of us. At least be a bit more sensitive and diplomatic when posting your scathing attacks on what many would see as a victim of crime.

One he one hand the guy's an idiot. He should have known better - what on earth was he thinking.
Anyone who's been here for 5 minutes knows how this works.

On the other hand, I really admire his guts to go out and fight this thing.
Its crazy, no hope campaigners who often get things changed.
Good luck to him.

Bingo!

There's quite a LARGE difference between him and her.

Perhaps -- just perhaps -- she was only ever interested in his LARGESSE.

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

I know of guys who marry Thai women there own age and get screwed. They do it because they can, simple.

It is irrelevant what age or weight this man is.

The point is that as the wife has been jailed for fraud yet those who facilitated said remain untouched!

Agreed. It's unfair. But. This is Thailand. And the Phuket deputy governor speaks volumes. Falang no understand... coffee1.gif

All these comments about "Ian should have seen this coming" are unfair in my opinion.

The moral of the story here is never invest anything in Thailand that you aren't prepared to lose.

Because if the worst does happen and you find your self in the same situation as this Ian guy and Colin Vard then you ain't got a hope in hell of ever getting anything back.

Police aren't going to help you. Lawyers aren't going to help you. Courts aren't going to help you.

A long time expat I know, once told me that investing in Thailand is like putting money into a black hole. At the time I laughed at him for being so negative but the longer I stay here, the more I think that never have truer words been spoken.

really? you think his wife grew up dreaming about marring a man who looks like Ian?

You think Ian's wife is like "can't wait to have a sex with this man! he is way hotter than my Thai boyfriend from school!"

You ever see a man like Ian in a Thai music video? in a romance film? in a fashion magazine?

WAKE UP!

It is all a lie. The nicer, more naive you are, the faster you are eaten alive here.

Please. Men who come here to Thailand, retain control over your money. Live month to month. Be worth more alive than dead.

The best you can say is Ian had seven years of a really nice illusion. It cost him everything but his life. so far.

She's pretty ugly, it,s not like she could get a cute looking guy thai or faramg

MaeJoMTB you really are a heartless #$%#$%. God forbid anything bad should happen to you- but I expect that like all Farang Bashers on here, you'd still expect your case to be unique. Cut the guy some slack, this could happen to any of us. At least be a bit more sensitive and diplomatic when posting your scathing attacks on what many would see as a victim of crime.

No, mine is exactly the same, she would strip me bare in an instant, if she were ever given the chance.

Yes, we've had kids together too, doesn't mean a thing to her.

We aren't hansum, they don't love us, they just want our money ........ so dangle it, without giving it.

Took me about 4 weeks in Thailand to work out what was happening.

Problem is, these guys never listen, don't know why.

Too easy to say " what does he expect". but it goes a lot further than that. The legal system is F'd whether its a young pretty bitch or other criminal tricksters or developers. Ive seen and heard plenty of cases where mass fraud or in justice occurs with the same results were the victims were apparently careful and used what internationally speaking was sufficient due diligence.

Well perhaps their only idiocy was to believe the the court system and contracts provided, whatever may be, will give weight to their situation, only to find out as this guy says It boils down to 'attrition' . Can you afford to keep banging your head against the often corrupt and always arduous and time taking process. of the courts.

This is a valid case that should be taken seriously not scoffed at.. Thailand as far as this goes, is in the stone ages.

Okay so this is how i have done it.

I set up my wife in a bogus business, i always made sure that this so called business had accounts, legitimate in comings and outgoings on paper. You must also understand that as much as the criminals are allowed to take money. Thai banks and finance companies are just as kamikaze in giving money. Amazingly Thai banks will also make a decision to lend money on only 6 months worth of accounts. To my amazement she was offered a 70% mortgage for a house. In reality she had no real education and never worked a day in her life.

I have a 9 year old daughter and we have been together for over 10 years. Yes i paid the 30% down however my view was that this is money i am prepared to walk away from if things get to that stage. I look at the house as a roof over my kids head.

To this day i pay the mortgage every month, i also did the same with the car and i pay for this also each month. There are another 30 years left to pay on this mortgage so by this time i will an old man anyway. To me i am paying a monthly fee to keep my lifestyle and enjoy my family. If someone close to me wants me out then i simply pack a bag and go. They are then responsible for the finances. I do not invest here. To me it is like an advertisement saying ''house for rent, fully furnished and comes with a wife and daughter''

All these comments about "Ian should have seen this coming" are unfair in my opinion.

The moral of the story here is never invest anything in Thailand that you aren't prepared to lose.

Because if the worst does happen and you find your self in the same situation as this Ian guy and Colin Vard then you ain't got a hope in hell of ever getting anything back.

Police aren't going to help you. Lawyers aren't going to help you. Courts aren't going to help you.

A long time expat I know, once told me that investing in Thailand is like putting money into a black hole. At the time I laughed at him for being so negative but the longer I stay here, the more I think that never have truer words been spoken.

really? you think his wife grew up dreaming about marring a man who looks like Ian?

You think Ian's wife is like "can't wait to have a sex with this man! he is way hotter than my Thai boyfriend from school!"

You ever see a man like Ian in a Thai music video? in a romance film? in a fashion magazine?

WAKE UP!

It is all a lie. The nicer, more naive you are, the faster you are eaten alive here.

Please. Men who come here to Thailand, retain control over your money. Live month to month. Be worth more alive than dead.

The best you can say is Ian had seven years of a really nice illusion. It cost him everything but his life. so far.

You seem obsessed with Ian's looks. You seem to be a very shallow person. From just looking at the video he seems like a decent bloke supporting his 4 kids and wife through exceptional circumstances. If you were half the man he is you would be doing well.

Keep your nasty comments to yourself.

The longer you live here, the more often you hear this. It's nothing new.

The sad story goes back decades. As does the complacency of the authorities. I feel so sorry for the victims.

And this is not only the folly of silly fellows in beer bars, falling for all the charms. Even for intelligent and perceptive men, it is often very difficult to see beyond the Thai smile.

I hope therefore this documentary goes viral.

It might prevent future cases.

Or awaken others who currently feel 100% secure 'owning' their property, and loving their life here in Thailand.

But despite all the warnings, it will probably continue.

Alas.

Archived