'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

Hahah well yes I was warned that if they know English very well to be wary.

Well you learn something everyday, so if a Thai lady speaks good English she's a bar girl. I will have to remember that if I ever become single again.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahah well yes I was warned that if they know English very well to be wary.

Well you learn something everyday, so if a Thai lady speaks good English she's a bar girl. I will have to remember that if I ever become single again.

Off topic

No I am sure they would not because those countries are very well known for their general lawlessness and don't pretend to be anything else. The situation here is probably notice better but the difference is the efforts made by the country to seek foreign investment and pretend it is a country worthy of its place as a welcoming country. None of that bull is contradicted by the Embassies that must know thecreal situation but step back from ever criticizing or publicicing that the place is just a lot of pretty wrapping paper around a country that is unfit for any investment except at corporation level and even that is debatable. The image is a shocking and perpetuated sham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul speaks at yesterday's (Mar 7) meeting to discuss illegal nominees. Photo: PR Dept The announcement came from Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.thephuketnews.com/crack-down-on-illegal-nominees-to-continue-phuket-law-and-account-firms-to-be-targeted-56512.php. Copyright © 2016 Class Act Media. All rights reserved. - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/crack-down-on-illegal-nominees-to-continue-phuket-law-and-account-firms-to-be-targeted-56512.php#sthash.D9Q3v6zn.dpuf

I have had three Thai girl friends so far. One wanted me to pay for her son's school and I could see her "uncle" in the background while she got drunk and I was away and video chatting with her, one wanted me to buy her mother's farm, and another finally told me she was in debt to Thai mafia and if she diddnt pay up they would kill her. All times I simply moved on. Especially that last one, I actually made myself disappear very fast. I'm not to old, bald or fat. Marrying a Thai woman is not a good idea, doing business with one even worse. I know there are good ones out there, but I'm not a mind reader so I'll be a permenant renter with an escape hatch constantly prepared.

Stop having bargirls as girlfriends.....problem solved.

Rubbish. I had a bargirl for a friend for 4 years and after her another for 8 years and there were no problems along the lines described by Hiyaall. Also, we parted as friends and not because of bad things. The woman that did me the most harm in my life was my Euro partner, one reason I never looked to Euro women again.

Sure, there are bad apples, but I was able to see that before getting involved long term. The main thing is to never spend more money on them than can afford to lose. If you 'ain't throwing money at them, they are more likely to be genuine.

I have had three Thai girl friends so far. One wanted me to pay for her son's school and I could see her "uncle" in the background while she got drunk and I was away and video chatting with her, one wanted me to buy her mother's farm, and another finally told me she was in debt to Thai mafia and if she diddnt pay up they would kill her. All times I simply moved on. Especially that last one, I actually made myself disappear very fast. I'm not to old, bald or fat. Marrying a Thai woman is not a good idea, doing business with one even worse. I know there are good ones out there, but I'm not a mind reader so I'll be a permenant renter with an escape hatch constantly prepared.

Rubbish. I had a bargirl for a friend for 4 years and after her another for 8 years and there were no problems along the lines described by Hiyaall. Also, we parted as friends and not because of bad things. The woman that did me the most harm in my life was my Euro partner, one reason I never looked to Euro women again.

Sure, there are bad apples, but I was able to see that before getting involved long term. The main thing is to never spend more money on them than can afford to lose. If you 'ain't throwing money at them, they are more likely to be genuine.

Another delusional post.

Another delusional post.

Why is it delusional? Because I had a bargirl as a friend, or because the Euro woman I trusted was a backstabbing, using, b***h from hell?

Another delusional post.

Why is it delusional? Because I had a bargirl as a friend, or because the Euro woman I trusted was a backstabbing, using, b***h from hell?

How can you have a bargirl as a friend and why would friends part after 8 years?

Another delusional post.

How can you have a bargirl as a friend and why would friends part after 8 years?

OK, I'll keep it simple. You can have a bargirl as a friend because they are a human being, and human beings can be friends.

Friends part after 8 years for any of a thousand reasons, but in that case she moved back home to the village, and I wasn't interested in spending my holidays there.

The advantage of having a bargirl for a holiday companion is that their job allows them to take as much time off from their place of work as they want, so you can go to the beach for a week or more, and they don't lose their job, unlike girls that work in more regular jobs.

• 2 months later...

Things like this happen in Europe all the time, it's not Thai-specific.

One gets justice in Europe. Justice is a rare commodity here. So rare it makes global headlines. As when the Thai and farang journalists walked for being accused of defaming the Thai Navy over people smuggling. Sadly. They'll be now watching their own backs forever.

keep funds in your home country or in a safe haven offshore in your name or under an an alias

anything else and your just asking to get ripped off by whomever, anybody and everybody, even the bankers if they can

even the closest families are squabble over estates where the will is clear

hoard it, hide it or bury it, ot stick it in your arse

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Very commendable list I am sure but have you ever considered how much rent you have paid and what not having your own transport has cost you over the last 30 years - not to mention money frittered away on disposable tarts.  Sleeping next to your grab bag for decades is not exactly everybody's idea of an enjoyable life, and why should you need to evacuate within 24 hours in any case when you have been here that long.  I have broken a few of your rules but I live like the sheek from arabeek lounging around all day in comfort and being waited upon.  Sure I have some capital at risk but hey hoe.  Good job we are not all the same.

a good reply. i couldn't said it better myself

In my experience, Thai people do not see farangs as fully human. Their attitude toward them is a bit like the view of the average white person toward slaves in the 19th century. The average Thai would think no more of defrauding a farang, than they would of buying a coffee at Starbucks.This attitude is prevalent from the very top to the very bottom of Thai society. Thailand's people are almost completely free of morality and conscience and one does business with them at one's own peril.

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

Thank God i meet My Thai wife. the best thing to happen to me,  Totally trustworthy, Not all Thai women are  bad,

The problem is most Guys meet their wives through the Bar,  You have to ask why the guys are in Thailand, most becasue they could not hold down a relationship or marriage in their own Country, probably been married before a few times with children , They Come to Thailand expecting the ladys to accept a second rate person who thinks he is number one in Thailand. And most would not dare try and get away with what they do in Thailand with the women  in their own Country, I for one count my blessings that i have a Thai wife. She bought her own land and house through working hard in the UK,  She works becasue she wants too, not becasue she has too.Never has asked for money from me or her Family, I suppose if you go looking  for things in a toilet you will come up with a turd,

Are you talking about your self " Now calm your self i had a thai wife that was not from a bar but unfortunately after 20 yrs she had cancer and passed away " in 2013 , then met another the possibly the wrong way but it happens mate before u mouth off to far as im sure u been to a bar or too prior so u no saint , i know many who have met the same way as u did " and got fn bunt anyway same can happen any country so be it , picked the wrong one loneliness plays apart everyones life " maybe will happen to you ! Who knows and plenty come from the bars and it all works out so dont be to rightious ? There is an old saying u can take the girl out of the bar but cant take the bar out of her " normally girls hubby or boyfriend dumped or ran off with another , with a bun in the oven or have 1 or 2 to support parents  etc , " no child support no gov assistance  bars r 100% not there first choice i think they want fk old men or fat dirty ones or even dumb upty young ones etc, etc  , no choice for many ! Family is dirt poor its the cards they are dealt at the time , i dont look down on them , in my or our country there in it for money only and u would not know who or where they work , lots of girls in bars here not necessarily bar girls not much difference "look at some of these millionaires or billionaires they r 60 yrs old or 70 old the girl is 25 + what makes her any different its all about money , I cant see the difference , Love does strange things to people each side of the fence bar or no bar "gold diggers " yes plenty of good ones 4 sure : but for me not again and 100% not a western girl,  i will remain single could not bother again " rather come and go as i please + enjoy whats left to enjoy . I trust it does not happen to u ! But who knows the future. 

On 9/19/2015 at 11:41 AM, shirtless said:

Would you trust Thailand and its people with your retirement savings i sure wouldnt.

I trusted mine to an English 'Financial Adviser' in Pattaya and lost over half my pension pot.

Quote, "problem is that thais' DNA contains significant seeds for lying,cheating,stealing and having not only no remorse but no clue it is wrong in either eastern or western morals".

AND

23 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Love the attitude Bar Girls = Bad, Non-Bar Girls = Good.

Guess what? They are all Thai women first and foremost, brought up in the same culture, and you can get ripped off by either.

IMO there is some truth in both of these statements, in the first one, because they have no conception of consequence or they can quite easily lie and write it off to "saving face", so the truth becomes of no import.

And as KB has said, the oft stated opinion that all bar girls are bad and that non-bar girls are good, is absolute rubbish because it's a bit of a mixed bag just the same as humanity is, the only difference being that as I've said earlier the Thai way/culture doesn't seem to have much in the way of consequence and truth built into it.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Quote, "problem is that thais' DNA contains significant seeds for lying,cheating,stealing and having not only no remorse but no clue it is wrong in either eastern or western morals".

AND

IMO there is some truth in both of these statements, in the first one, because they have no conception of consequence or they can quite easily lie and write it off to "saving face", so the truth becomes of no import.

And as KB has said, the oft stated opinion that all bar girls are bad and that non-bar girls are good, is absolute rubbish because it's a bit of a mixed bag just the same as humanity is, the only difference being that as I've said earlier the Thai way/culture doesn't seem to have much in the way of consequence and truth built into it.

Ahhhh........there you have it.

Overlaying Western culture and morals on to Thai people is a big mistake.

In our own culture, Truth (with a large T) is paramount. That's why we had the Enlightenment and why most recent scientific breakthroughs have come from the West. The ever continuing search for the Truth in all matters. For us, if you don't tell the truth, it must be a lie. 

Course, in Thailand Truth isn't paramount. Thailand is a far less individualistic society that values social harmony and consensus. If Truth has to suffer to bolster social harmony by avoiding uncomfortable confrontation, or, to save face, then that's the way it goes.

Many Westerners after decades living here, still haven't learnt this. They are usually the ones that end up as bitter and angry old men.....usually single.

If you are going to sit as judge on Thais, then you need to judge them by their own culture.......not yours.

Anyway, this good girl versus bad girl is far too general. What about the wife that remains faithful, but, lies, cheats and steals. Or, the wife that does mess around, yet, wouldn't dream of stealing a single Baht.

People are not uniformly good, or bad. Their failings and combinations of failings will all be different. 

On 19/09/2015 at 2:18 PM, lemonjelly said:
On 19/09/2015 at 1:48 PM, Monokuro said:

For people trying to find it on iPlayer, it starts 89:19 in on the Victoria Derbyshire episode.

I player only available in the UK.... Any workaround?

I don't know if anyone has posted a workaround after your post. I haven't read all of them yet.

I looked at the html in the page and found the link to the report.

I hope it's OK for me to post it directly? it's here:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032t97v/player 

If it loads OK for you, I found I had to single click on the image to start playing.

For me, I watched it on a standard connection here in Thailand (no VPN or anything), although I couldn't see any player controls, so I had to watch the entire clip in one go. I didn't time it, but it seemed like perhaps fifteen minutes?

Good luck.

It seems like the law and situation set these scenes up almost perfectly:

1. Man wants younger wife

2. Man gets blinded by infatuation 

3. Man buys property 

4. Property must be in wife's name

What could possibly go wrong?

Though admittedly this scam was at a whole other level. Note: now the dude has a new Thai wife and a new (4th) child with her. 

Do these wife/gf scams happen at this level in other countries popular among expat retirees, or is it just a Thailand thing? I never seem to hear about it much in places like Central American nations and other countries but of course they do have other sorts of crime. 

Just curious

On 9/19/2015 at 3:42 PM, LivinginKata said:

Best decision you ever made. Money loaning can be a nasty business, best you can hope is just loosing money, worst can be you are dead.

Ans sanctioned by police, government and the judicial system.

They are accomplice.

Archived