NonB extension, WP renewal - Which one first?

They don't keep the passport during the work permit approval process. They just look at it to confirm the copies of it match and give it back.

A work permit is not tied to a permit to stay. Many people are able to extend their work weeks or even months before their extension is due.

There is also no requirement that the work permit be valid for a year when the extension is applied for.

Last year MoL (Bangkok) wouldn't accept my WP renewal application until I had managed my Non-B extension (both expired on the same day, within two weeks of my application). Immigration just wanted a copy of the WP as it was. So for me the drill now is Non-B extension first and then on to MoL for the WP renewal.

Last year MoL (Bangkok) wouldn't accept my WP renewal application until I had managed my Non-B extension (both expired on the same day, within two weeks of my application). Immigration just wanted a copy of the WP as it was. So for me the drill now is Non-B extension first and then on to MoL for the WP renewal.

Also in my area the actual WP renewal cannot be processed for issue until after the One Year Extension is granted, but I would still recommend filing the WP application first, particularly of you are close to the deadline.

The WP application is filed and noted as awaiting the Extension of Permission to be approved, but the renewed WP itself will not be issued until after the One Year Extension is granted, or at least approved under consideration (initial 30 day stamp).

In the intermediate period the A5 sized WP5 receipt substitutes as your Work Permit.

For the past seven years it has always been WP first following by an Extension of Stay for me. Renewing the WP takes only a day at my local office and as usual the Extension of Stay takes a maximum of 30 days. invariably the Immigration office will call and tell me to go and collect my passport, this usually between the 15th day and 20th day period.

Edited by mallyrd

Hello,

This is what my colleague at school did a few months ago.

He extended his Non-B extension first, and then renewed

his WP.

Hope this helps.

What my colleague added was he got his Non-B extension and

WP renewal done on the day he applied for them and that you

could do both these two in a day if you could afford to go to the

Immigration Office in the morning for the extension and then to

the Labour Office in the afternoon for the renewal.

Thanks for weighing in everyone. What I've found out is that while there is an actual procedure you're supposed to follow, each individual MoL office wants you to to it their way.

So I'm just going to stop in and ask them directly. Luckily, I live near the local office and I'm not under a time crunch (WP doesn't expire for 2 months).

When its done, I'll post what I had to do.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Very good question and answers. When I saw this post I thought of another question relating to this subject, probably been covered in other threads but just thought I would ask here as this thread is current. There are a number of different visas available, which are needed for entering the country. When you go thru immigration you get a stamp allowing you to stay for a certain period. Is it then the immigration officer who can individually decide how long one can stay when you pass the immigration counter?

What I am trying to figure out really, is there really any connection between the type of visa that you use for entering the country and the extension of stay? I know Thai people who enter Thailand on a foreign passport and get a visa on entry, they get extension of stay endlessly year after year, which leads me to think that every case can actually be decided by the individual immigration office, regardless of the type of visa you entered the country with? And what's with the non-immigrant visas? isn't everyone entering the country not an immigrant, including tourists?

A standard non immigrant visa allows a 90 day entry. One ending with an A allows one year.

A tourist visa 60 days.

An immigration officer can reduce the number of days but cannot give more than that.

Thais can apply for a one year extension of stay at an immigration office based upon being a returned Thai national for a fee of 1900 baht.

This is the order for me as well. Non-B Extension first. Then Work Permit.