How safe is the South of Thailand?

chrissables

I am planning a motorbike trip following the East coast of Thailand, crossing into Malaysia continuing along the East coast until Singapore. Then returning along the West coast of Malaysia and Thailand.

The UK government has an "advise against all but essential travel" notice.

Does anyone have recent knowledge of the best way to cross, or areas not to try and cross?

I have an interest in the southern part of the east coast of Thailand - worked over the border in Kelantan for many years in the 90's.

Came across this blog a few weeks back that may be of interest.

https://swinginsafari.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/deep-southern-thailand-songkhla-to-the-tak-bai-border-thailand-into-kota-baru-malaysia/

West side is generally OK if crossing from Satun or Songhkla, If traveling through Pattani, Yala or Naratiwat you should be OK if you stay on main roads, would recommend traveling between 0800 and 1600, don't hang around the border towns such as Sungai Kolok in the evenings.

Statistically you are more likely to have a road traffic accident than be a victim of terrorism :)

I agree with sungod.

You would need to be extraordinarily unlucky to be caught up in any of the violence. On the other hand, there is a general "resentment," against foreigners in many parts. I witnessed young Muslim youths shouting abuse at elderly westerners in Songkhla, for example. There are also some pockets where the communities live in isolation - Muslim only/Thai only. Local wisdom has it that arriving in the wrong community after dark is asking for trouble.

There's a weird atmosphere in places like Hat Yai - unrecognizable from other parts of Thailand.

I would motorcycle down that route sungod is suggesting - but I would be in my accom before dark. And I would be heading from town centre to town centre - not overnighting in the roadside motel type places. I wouldn't want to go wandering along country roads at night looking for food. Once you get through the border into Malaysia it's plain sailing.

I have an interest in the southern part of the east coast of Thailand - worked over the border in Kelantan for many years in the 90's.

Came across this blog a few weeks back that may be of interest.

https://swinginsafari.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/deep-southern-thailand-songkhla-to-the-tak-bai-border-thailand-into-kota-baru-malaysia/

Despite what UK gov't may advise, there is a general prejudice toward the predominately Muslim areas of Thailand. Same as with Myanmar, the social problems are generally NOT created by the Muslim minority.

I have traveled extensively throughout the South, North & Northeast of Thailand, including Krabi & Phuket (by means of a Suzuki 125 motorbike, w/ large backpack resting on the seat), .

In fact, the South (people-wise) is considerably safer (in my experience), as the Muslim Thais tend to be more "down-to-earth", drive more maturely, than the norm, are readily more friendly, and considerably more honest toward foreigners. However, people are still people everywhere, so remain vigilantly cautious, in any case.

Re: Malaysia ~ If you've ever visited Sri Lanka, or India, then you already get the drift of what precautions need to be maintained. Penang (across the bridge from Butterworth, is a great location to visit in Malaysia. I did not detour far from the Malaysian National Highway, especially while riding thru KL. Singapore is fantastic. Despite being located on the Equator, if I could afford the living costs, then Singapore would be the place for me. Enjoy the excursion.

Hope this helps with your decision making process. Cheerscoffee1.gif

West side is generally OK if crossing from Satun or Songhkla, If traveling through Pattani, Yala or Naratiwat you should be OK if you stay on main roads, would recommend traveling between 0800 and 1600, don't hang around the border towns such as Sungai Kolok in the evenings.

Statistically you are more likely to have a road traffic accident than be a victim of terrorism smile.png

Exactamento,clap2.gif

Despite what UK gov't may advise, there is a general prejudice toward the predominately Muslim areas of Thailand. Same as with Myanmar, the social problems are generally NOT created by the Muslim minority.

I have traveled extensively throughout the South, North & Northeast of Thailand, including Krabi & Phuket (by means of a Suzuki 125 motorbike, w/ large backpack resting on the seat), .

In fact, the South (people-wise) is considerably safer (in my experience), as the Muslim Thais tend to be more "down-to-earth", drive more maturely, than the norm, are readily more friendly, and considerably more honest toward foreigners. However, people are still people everywhere, so remain vigilantly cautious, in any case.

Re: Malaysia ~ If you've ever visited Sri Lanka, or India, then you already get the drift of what precautions need to be maintained. Penang (across the bridge from Butterworth, is a great location to visit in Malaysia. I did not detour far from the Malaysian National Highway, especially while riding thru KL. Singapore is fantastic. Despite being located on the Equator, if I could afford the living costs, then Singapore would be the place for me. Enjoy the excursion.

Thanks.

I have never been to Sri Lanka or India (it's on my to do list). Could you please advise regarding the precautions you are advising?

Thanks

Statistically you are more likely to have a road traffic accident than be a victim of terrorism smile.png

Exactamento,clap2.gif

Exactamundo? From Pulp Fiction.

Yes, sungod is spot on .. I live in Hat Yai, I used to travel down to sungai Kolok a fair bit, there's roadblocks, I witnessed trouble a couple of times.

What are you riding ?, I'm happy to come with for a weekend.

Also what are you interested in ? You can plough through the 4 provinces in a day, and into malaysia at Golok. What are you going to see en-route ? More caves, waterfalls, temples ? There are some interesting communist tunnels on the border, I haven't been to all,

You need to hit hat yai, then run out to Yala, round that place swiftly then Betong. The road to Betong rocks, betong is cool, Chinese community, one bomb in 10 years.

Enter into malaysia in betong then begin your route through malaysia.

Yeah, beer - east coast malay is dry, I'm not a drinker but I didn't notice until once I was in k.bahru and some French tourist stopped me in a panic, asking if I knew of anywhere - maybe you can get a can in pacific mall, but it's a different world on the east coast.

On the way back, come through wang prachan in Satun and head up the coast to trang ( there are hundreds of things to see in trang ) or Pedang bezar and come to HY.

I would make my last stop in Malaysia - Penang and ride back on the motorway.

PM me if you want a partner or I f you need any specific details, hotels, how to get insurance, GPS coordinates or look at my google map pages.

One more question, after a full days riding my motorbike, i need a beer!

I have been to Penang and no problem, but as a general rule are there dry areas?

Yep, the east coast of Malaysia above Kuala Kuantan is a real pain.

The 7/11's do not stock alcohol, you have to look for the small mom and pop Chinese shops. In Kuala Terrengannu it took me some 30 minutes riding around before I found one. The old Chinese guy went to the back of the shop and fished out a couple of beers from his frdige and gave them to me in a black plastic bag.

I did the same trip.

Do not even think about taking the bike across to Singapore. It is a major bureaucratic headache. Plus if you try to cross at the peak time, you will end up pushing your bike with about a zillion others belonging to "day pass workers" until you get to the crossing. And only then does all the administrative hassle start.

There is a large car park next to the border in Johor Bahru, leave the bike there and take public transport if you are going to Singers.

I have been to Penang and no problem, but as a general rule are there dry areas?

The 7/11's do not stock alcohol, you have to look for the small mom and pop Chinese shops. In Kuala Terrengannu it took me some 30 minutes riding around before I found one. The old Chinese guy went to the back of the shop and fished out a couple of beers from his frdige and gave them to me in a black plastic bag.

I did the same trip.

Do not even think about taking the bike across to Singapore. It is a major bureaucratic headache. Plus if you try to cross at the peak time, you will end up pushing your bike with about a zillion others belonging to "day pass workers" until you get to the crossing. And only then does all the administrative hassle start.

There is a large car park next to the border in Johor Bahru, leave the bike there and take public transport if you are going to Singers.

Hi, i did wonder about Singapore. The car park idea is good, except the worry about luggage.

Maybe book a hotel with safe parking and travel in would work better?

Thanks

I did the same trip.

Hi, i did wonder about Singapore. The car park idea is good, except the worry about luggage.

Maybe book a hotel with safe parking and travel in would work better?

Thanks

Yep, It is not worth the hassles.

Public transport is the way to travel in Singapore.

Nice eye candy too. thumbsup.gif

There's a weird atmosphere in places like Hat Yai - unrecognizable from other parts of Thailand.

Just checking back to this thread ..

What is this weird vibe that people talk about ??

I have lived here for 5 years and never felt it .. Sure, an awkward feeling when you get your gas tank checked for bombs at Makro. I will admit that locals don't go out of their way to accept people but it's not exclusive to western faces - the wife says 'however long you have lived here, you can never be a southerner' as soon as a Thai person opens their mouth they know.

I don't really see much to go and visit in between Hat Yai and the 4 provinces provinces, I found Narathiwat interesting but wouldn't go there anymore, a lot of crap happens down after Yala that we don't hear about.

But I never worry about anything in HY.

As to Muslims being better drivers .. That one has me stumped, I think they are all as bad as each other.

Avoid looking like a policeman, soldier, teacher or government official and your risk is very low.

As a farang you don't look like a policeman or soldier, but yes, better to avoid driving behind or near their vehicles. I never had any problems (my second home is between Hat Yei and Pattani). Beer in NE-Malaysia is a little bit harder to get, but you will always be able to find a chinese shop, as it's not forbidden for Non-Muslims.

Exactamento,clap2.gif

Exactamundo? From Pulp Fiction.

From the Fonz, long before pulp fiction.

Take lots of pics and send in a report to TVF from time to time...we would all enjoy your adventure vicariously...I appreciate your adventurous spirit...smile.png

It is my intention to do so.

Last year i rode North Thailand and up to Laos, nearly to the Northern most point, you can read and see some photo's here if interested.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797874-small-motorbikes-and-travel-in-thailand-with-photos/

Thanks.

I have never been to Sri Lanka or India (it's on my to do list). Could you please advise regarding the precautions you are advising?

Thanks

Malaysia / Singapore has three major ethnic groups. Chinese (Buddhist), Malay (Muslim), and Tamil (Indian-Hindu). The Tamils tend to be the more sophisticated street people of Malaysia whistling.gif

Just a note of clarification to those posters who perpetually troll (off topic), or have some need to "correct" other posters, on this forum (for some unfathomable reason). I stated that my reply was based upon my personal experience (observations), of having traveled (solo) throughout most of SE Asia (including Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam as well), via motorbike & backpack.

Solo motorbike touring (as a western foreigner), is a totally different experience, than touring together with a support group of other ASEAN local citizens. Anyway, Chap, have a fun-filled excursion, and best wishes. Cheerswai.gif

Just a note of clarification to those posters who perpetually troll (off topic), or have some need to "correct" other posters, on this forum (for some unfathomable reason). I stated that my reply was based upon my personal experience (observations), of having traveled (solo) throughout most of SE Asia (including Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam as well), via motorbike & backpack.

Solo motorbike touring (as a western foreigner), is a totally different experience, than touring together with a support group of other ASEAN local citizens. Anyway, Chap, have a fun-filled excursion, and best wishes. Cheerswai.gif

Thanks,

I have to agree regarding going solo. It's a lot different, but also fun once you get in the routine of having to sort every problem yourself.

Cheers.

1000 X more likely to be in a bike accident than a terrorist related incident.

Why not just hire a car?

I am going on a motorbike tour! :)

I understand how dangerous the roads are, i have traveled a lot here.

I am not overly concerned about terrorists also, but l know a lot of what happens in the South does not get reported, so thought i would ask here.

Actually had some very good advise pm'ed to me already! :)

Archived