How safe is the South of Thailand?

chrissables

Your last trip report in February I think it was, was excellent, (I had forgotten about that!) thumbsup.gif

Hope to see you post trip report again!...

I have been through all the southern provinces with no problems .... just go for it...

You might find some of the east coast of Malaysia a bit boring... but there are other places that make up for itwink.png

Your last trip report in February I think it was, was excellent, (I had forgotten about that!) thumbsup.gif

Hope to see you post trip report again!...

I have been through all the southern provinces with no problems .... just go for it...

You might find some of the east coast of Malaysia a bit boring... but there are other places that make up for itwink.png

The trip was done in November and December, but i did not post a report until i later.

Thanks! I plan to write a report on this trip also.

I am thinking of changing my route, missing some of the East coast, but nothing is confirmed yet.

• 4 weeks later...
Despite what UK gov't may advise, there is a general prejudice toward the predominately Muslim areas of Thailand. Same as with Myanmar, the social problems are generally NOT created by the Muslim minority.

I have traveled extensively throughout the South, North & Northeast of Thailand, including Krabi & Phuket (by means of a Suzuki 125 motorbike, w/ large backpack resting on the seat), .

In fact, the South (people-wise) is considerably safer (in my experience), as the Muslim Thais tend to be more "down-to-earth", drive more maturely, than the norm, are readily more friendly, and considerably more honest toward foreigners. However, people are still people everywhere, so remain vigilantly cautious, in any case.

Re: Malaysia ~ If you've ever visited Sri Lanka, or India, then you already get the drift of what precautions need to be maintained. Penang (across the bridge from Butterworth, is a great location to visit in Malaysia. I did not detour far from the Malaysian National Highway, especially while riding thru KL. Singapore is fantastic. Despite being located on the Equator, if I could afford the living costs, then Singapore would be the place for me. Enjoy the excursion.

Hope this helps with your decision making process. Cheerscoffee1.gif

Thanks.

I have never been to Sri Lanka or India (it's on my to do list). Could you please advise regarding the precautions you are advising?

Thanks

Malaysia / Singapore has three major ethnic groups. Chinese (Buddhist), Malay (Muslim), and Tamil (Indian-Hindu). The Tamils tend to be the more sophisticated street people of Malaysia whistling.gif

[/qudown

Until you eat with them, they lightly wash their hands with cold water no soap then trough their food down with their hands like their lives depended on it, used to make me feel sick.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am planning a motorbike trip following the East coast of Thailand, crossing into Malaysia continuing along the East coast until Singapore. Then returning along the West coast of Malaysia and Thailand.

The UK government has an "advise against all but essential travel" notice.

Does anyone have recent knowledge of the best way to cross, or areas not to try and cross?

Definitely safer than Malaysia(thefts) but to be even safer, enter Malaysia and visit west Coast first, much more to see there. You will like it so much you will choose to return the same way. Their east coast is nothing except for better beach, if that is important to you.

Be extra careful in Malaysia, and don't think of going to the police for anything, unless you need a report.

PS. Just found out the trip is over, never mind. I am sure you like Singapore and Penang. Did you go to Cameron Highlands ?

Archived