Yay! Chiang Mai <-> Pattaya flights!

WinnieTheKhwai

This reads like there will be Chiang Mai - Utapao service.

That makes AirAsia interesting again when going to Pattaya because -as the article mentions- ending up at Don Muang is not ideal. Suvarnabhumi is far better (also with frequent buses to Pattaya) but Utapao would be better still, especially if there are connecting buses/vans to downtown Patters.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/thai-airasia-focuses-expansion-on-china-and-new-secondary-bases-starting-with-pattaya-245267

^ If you do, contact me first and I'll have some pointers. (Regardless of what you're looking to get out of it, but if I read between those two lines then it'll be something like take in some of the most glaring sights that Pattaya is (in)famous for, but possibly also some more relaxing things and actual sightseeing, and possibly going out for a drink in some more civilized places.)

No need to wait for those flights even actually; Bangkok Air to Suvarnabhumi with a connecting Bell Travel Service bus (230 Baht all the way to your hotel door) is a great way to get there, and Bangkok Air can be nearly as affordable as Air Asia but they do treat you like a person. Or NCA has a direct overnight bus.

• 2 months later...

So, I can offer a first-hand review now.

Chiang Mai -> Utapao -> Pattaya was on Promo, so that's just 1,100 Baht. Which is a steal, in a busy weekend where any flight to Bangkok (also DMK) was in the 2500 Baht range.

The flight was nearly full, so that's good news; it shows that there is a demand for this route.

Very mixed group of people, like any other flight really. Mostly Thai people, a couple Westerners, some Chinese, etc.

Flight departed more or less on time. Flight time was just a bit more than to Bangkok, about one hour and 10 minutes.

Utapao Airport is kind of a desolate place, but quick to get out of, of course. Beats getting parked at Gate A6 at Suvarnabhumi and then hiking to the bus at exit 8..

I was expecting most people to transfer to Pattaya in a bus of some kind, but this was not the case. You walk out the airport and there is the usual melee of taxi and van dudes, some with signs with passenger names. Was a bit chaotic as to which van was which, the drivers seeming equally confused. (This is actually par for the course in Thailand. Was like this 20 years ago when arriving somewhere, and is still the case now.) Took a good 25 minutes before the van actually started moving.

So it was a minivan with 7 other people going to Pattaya.

The drive is of course a lot shorter than from Suvarnabhumi. A bit less than an hour. The van driver took a good route too, connecting to Highway 3 (Sukhumvit) at some point, and then using the Jomtien bypass (Jomtien Second road) There was a stop at Bali Hai pier for the Ko Larn ferry as some Chinese people went that way, and then the final stop at Central Festival which is a very good, central location. Probably if you live or stay in the Bang Saray or Jomtien area then it seems likely you can ask the van guy to just let you off somewhere along the way. Or even pay him a bit extra to take you to a convenient spot, it was all pretty informal.

So all in all it was a bit faster than going via Suvarnabhumi and then taking for example the Bell Travel or Jomtien bus. But not by too much; maybe half an hour faster everything put together, or 45 minutes if the van guys at UTP get their act together. Time savings could be greater when going to the Na Jomtien / Jomtien or Bang Saray area.

So, yeah, if pricing is similar I would do the Utapao route again. But i would not pay significantly more for it. (Maybe 250 baht more which is what the Bell Travel bus costs.)

Some pictures just for the hell of it.

post-64232-0-60586600-1448689196_thumb.j

Yay, Pattaya!

post-64232-0-15242300-1448689210_thumb.j

That's a whole lot of nothing. Did anthing change since 1968 or whatever?

post-64232-0-90472800-1448689225_thumb.j

Oh, that's a big one.

post-64232-0-21007900-1448689237_thumb.j

Traditional Thai van roulette

post-64232-0-11569600-1448689248_thumb.j

Driver dude was actually okay and drove safely to Pattaya.

Not so much. Feels like Vietnam war movie.

(I had one of the few Kan Air flights in June this year)

Took a good 25 minutes before the van actually started moving.

So seems the minibus service to Central on beach road was the one supplied by AirAsia?

The have a schedule for that, 30 min after arrival.

See here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/872248-transfers-between-utapao-airport-and-pattaya/page-2#entry10127116

Not so much. Feels like Vietnam war movie.

(I had one of the few Kan Air flights in June this year)

At least from my perspective there is a bit of change there. From my office in 1968. smile.png

post-566-0-53383600-1448704285_thumb.jpg

Took a good 25 minutes before the van actually started moving.

So seems the minibus service to Central on beach road was the one supplied by AirAsia?

The have a schedule for that, 30 min after arrival.

Yes, I booked it including the transfer to Pattaya. The van is arranged by Air Asia, likely from some existing taxi/van service. There are guys outside with your name on a sign. A bit more chaotic than it could be, but it does work.

^ Checking the AirAsia site, it looks like just the flight to UTP is 890 (Promo), and with the city transfer it's 1,100 Baht. So that makes it 210 Baht for the minivan. There are also transfers offered to Rayong, which would work when going to Koh Samet, for example.

To compare, you can get a big bus from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya for 122 Baht (To Jomtien or the intersections of Sukhumvit and North, Central or South Pattaya Roads), or 250 Baht for the Bell Travel bus, which includes a minivan from the North Pattaya bus station to any hotel in town.

So the deciding factor is the air fare.. 890 right now as Promo to Utapao, versus 1,290 to DMK. But DMK is less convenient to Pattaya, so when comparing a flight to Suvarnabhumi then that would be 1,690 on Bangkok Airways. (Which is also a far better airline than AirAsia, of course.)

On the other hand though it's sometimes hard to get a flight to Suvarnabhumi that arrives at a good time to catch that bus right away. From Utapao the wait should normally be less, plus a shorter drive by 45 minutes or so.

On the other hand though it's sometimes hard to get a flight to Suvarnabhumi that arrives at a good time to catch that bus right away. From Utapao the wait should normally be less, plus a shorter drive by 45 minutes or so.

There is indeed a big difference between:

* arriving at the huge Suv, airport, endless walkways, stairs down to the bus, huge crowds etc., waiting up to an hour for the next bus

* touchdown at U-Tapao, (mini)bus to the hall in 3 min, your bag will be there in 5 min or so, walk 50 m to the bus and depart to Pattaya in not more than 30 min.

So you do not only save on driving time but also on connecting from the plane to local transport.

I hesitate to say that driving from the south to Pattaya is less prone to jams, heavy traffic compared to tollway/freeway 7?

How much extra for the van?

AirAsia +210 Baht.

At least from my perspective there is a bit of change there. From my office in 1968. smile.png

Indeed, no B52s in sight these days biggrin.png

One thing I found odd about that '68 photo posted by WTK and it shows a commercial airliner wing. Never saw a commercial flight land there. I came in from Vietnam on a C-130, went to Don Muang/Bangkok and back on temporary assignment and also C-130. Even Bob Hope when he came for his SOS show in '68, C-130.

That russian built AN24 is a beastie of a plane. Slightly smaller than the AN225 but still huge. Saw a few of the AN24s in Somalia during the 'blackhawk down' days and also in Afghanistan about 5 years ago.

Massive cargo carriers but also a very smooth ride.

One thing I found odd about that '68 photo posted by WTK and it shows a commercial airliner wing. Never saw a commercial flight land there.

Not quite sure which picture you refer to?

The one with the subtitle "... 1968" is simply the AirAisa plane I would say.

These Antonov planes go to about everywhere on charter freight.

Here is a report of the even bigger (biggest of all) Antonov 225 in U-Tapao in July this year.

Some SIEMENS stuff, maybe a turbine from Germany.

Really worth looking:

http://airfreight-logistics.com/2015/07/editors-choice/antonov-225-the-worlds-largest-airplane-offloads-in-u-tapao

How much extra for the van?

AirAsia +210 Baht.

One thing I found odd about that '68 photo posted by WTK and it shows a commercial airliner wing. Never saw a commercial flight land there. I came in from Vietnam on a C-130, went to Don Muang/Bangkok and back on temporary assignment and also C-130. Even Bob Hope when he came for his SOS show in '68, C-130.

Air America?

One thing I found odd about that '68 photo posted by WTK and it shows a commercial airliner wing. Never saw a commercial flight land there.

Not quite sure which picture you refer to?

The one with the subtitle "... 1968" is simply the AirAisa plane I would say.

Ah, the penny drops. Now I realize the photo is current but comparing the terminal area to '68. It's the photo quality that didn't match the others and looked much older, like an archive scan. Thanks, no longer confused. biggrin.png

I looked last night...190 thb from CNX to UTP..but it wouldn't let me do the Pattaya City Option...this is for Nov 16. Also noticed the weeday returns are at some ungodly time...might be cool to go to UTP and return from DMK. which seems to be 490 for far in advance...but great selection.

Ah, the penny drops. Now I realize the photo is current but comparing the terminal area to '68. It's the photo quality that didn't match the others and looked much older, like an archive scan. Thanks, no longer confused. biggrin.png

Maybe his camera has a "vintage" profile/option or it was a bit shopped tongue.png

Maybe his camera has a "vintage" profile/option or it was a bit shopped tongue.png

Haha, yes. I intentionally vintage-filtered the heck out of that shot. tongue.png (Zoner Photo Studio for Windows in this case (free), or when on mobile I use the Pixlr app.)

Wrong!

post-64232-0-06582800-1448803673_thumb.j

(I don't always drink B52s but when I do it's because someone on Thaivisa challenges me. tongue.png )

Archived