Irish jockey loses foot after horrific motorbike accident on Koh Samui

webfact

Irish jockey loses foot after horrific motorbike accident in Thailand

Brendan McDonagh, 23, had his right foot amputated following the incident on the holiday island of Koh Samui

BELFAST: -- A young Irish jockey has lost his foot in a horrific accident while on holiday.

Brendan McDonagh, 23, had his right foot amputated following the accident on the holiday island of Koh Samui in Thailand.

Brendan, from Knockerasser, Moycullen in Co Galway was enjoying the short break in Koh Samui after spending two years as a work rider in Australia.

He had stopped off in Thailand for the holiday on his way back home to Ireland to resume his riding career.

Brendan had hired a motorbike on Koh Samui and was riding it when he was involved in the accident at the weekend. He was rushed to a local hospital with severe injuries and needed emergency surgery.

Doctors were unable to save his right foot and have also operated on a severely broken right arm and damaged shoulder.

He sustained nerve damage to his right side and also has a significant injury to his jaw.

Since the accident he has been heavily medicated to deal with the pain arising from his injuries.

His girlfriend and a number of friends from Moycullen with whom he met up in Thailand have been with him at the hospital.

Today, his brother Gerry and friend Tim Bohan flew out to be at his bedside in Koh Samui.

Full story: http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-irish-jockey-loses-footafter-6494093

-- IRISH MIRROR 2015-09-23

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not know if this guy was experienced bike rider or not, and the reasons for the accident....but something have to change.

I was in a very busy mountain tourist spot this weekend, frequented by young tourists. The very dangerous road was full of people on motorbikes, and our tour van's driver was racing on it, under rain, and on bad tires. In the city, I saw a girl renting a motorbike, taking a fast "lesson" how to ride it. She left the shop riding in zig zag on the busy main street. After that, arriving at our hotel, we saw a crash between a tourist biker and a car.

I was feeling very unsafe during our 3 hours road ride, and just walking the town's streets later....

I do not know if this guy was experienced bike rider or not, and the reasons for the accident....but something have to change.

I was in a very busy mountain tourist spot this weekend, frequented by young tourists. The very dangerous road was full of people on motorbikes, and our tour van's driver was racing on it, under rain, and on bad tires. In the city, I saw a girl renting a motorbike, taking a fast "lesson" how to ride it. She left the shop riding in zig zag on the busy main street. After that, arriving at our hotel, we saw a crash between a tourist biker and a car.

I was feeling very unsafe during our 3 hours road ride, and just walking the town's streets later....

Plenty of people don't know how to ride and they don't use safety gear. Unfortunately here in Thailand its almost impossible to get a good education in riding bikes.So its the same for almost anyone they start to learn on the streets. I had some riding experience when I got here so it was easier for me. In general I suit up (depending how far depends on how much i suit up) but in general almost always half boots, helmet, gloves, kevlar jeans, jacket on the longer rides (sweat like crazy in it). Won't help me much in a full on collision but does help a bit in some cases.

But I had to learn and get into the habit of putting gear like that on, not many Thais or tourists even think like that. Plus of course the actual riding skills help you a lot (not against vans speeding on the wrong side of the road though). Riding a bike is a risk, but a risk i take as it saves time. Others will not risk it.. its a personal thing.

This guy is really unlucky with this accident as his career is over i wish him the best. Sad for sure.

Who said "Luck of the Irish"? Tough break for this chap. With prosthetics these days he could be a huge story. With some hard work and physical therapy he could get back in the saddle. Look at the girlfriend killer Blade Runner...

Some people underestimate the stupidity of the local driving styles.

The locals have one, the tourists 2 or more others and they are NOT compatible.

And if you are a novice rider on these bikes your 'fast instincts' will not

save you if you haven't properly judged the crazy up in front of your path.

Even with the skills to control a thoroughbred horse, it still wasn't enough for the situation.

Very sad for the young man, for the foot, other injuries and the career.

I hope he has as much recovery as possible.

Plenty of people don't know how to ride and they don't use safety gear. Unfortunately here in Thailand its almost impossible to get a good education in riding bikes.So its the same for almost anyone they start to learn on the streets. I had some riding experience when I got here so it was easier for me. In general I suit up (depending how far depends on how much i suit up) but in general almost always half boots, helmet, gloves, kevlar jeans, jacket on the longer rides (sweat like crazy in it). Won't help me much in a full on collision but does help a bit in some cases.

But I had to learn and get into the habit of putting gear like that on, not many Thais or tourists even think like that. Plus of course the actual riding skills help you a lot (not against vans speeding on the wrong side of the road though). Riding a bike is a risk, but a risk i take as it saves time. Others will not risk it.. its a personal thing.

This guy is really unlucky with this accident as his career is over i wish him the best. Sad for sure.

I've seen you on the road..

post-200208-0-34530700-1442974528_thumb.

I've seen you on the road..

attachicon.gifbboy.jpg

Who knows, but most people don't notice the gear as it looks natural, especially the kevlar jeans and boots. Most don't even see its safety gear. Gloves are a different story. But hey we all have our own risk assessment and choose what we are willing to wear to decrease the risks.

We don't know the circumstances of the accident, or who was might have been a fault. But regardless, it's not a pretty thing, and hope he is able to recover as much as possible. As another poster commented, with the advance in prosthetic devices these days, he could easily have an artificial foot and possibly go back to his career.

I don't always agree with Robblok, but what we do have in agreement is safety gear in riding. Prior to my stroke, any trip around town on my CBR was with heavy jeans, combat boots, padded racing jacket, racing gloves, and HJC helmet. And that was just to go to 7/11. lol. For my once a month 4-6 day road trips, shin and thigh protectors went over the jeans, and a full upper body kit was added. My wife took a pic of me one time to show all her friends her "RoboCop" husband. Sitting at a long stop light with all that on could be murder sometimes, but once I was moving I was fine. And I'd rather sit and sweat a bit as opposed to laying in a hospital with potentially broken bones and tons of skin shredded off my body. I was also lucky that I had years of experience on sports bikes long before I ever came to Thailand. But even with that, there were times I barely escaped the ignorant stupidity of Thai drivers.

Who said "Luck of the Irish"? Tough break for this chap. With prosthetics these days he could be a huge story. With some hard work and physical therapy he could get back in the saddle. Look at the girlfriend killer Blade Runner...

I think the "Luck of the Irish" comes into play because he survived. From the description of his injuries the accident was very bad and for sure it must have been a life threatening crash.

When he recovers, he will have to re think his life plans but I hope he see's it as a lucky escape and a second chance.

Good luck to him in his recovery and his future.

We don't know the circumstances of the accident, or who was might have been a fault. But regardless, it's not a pretty thing, and hope he is able to recover as much as possible. As another poster commented, with the advance in prosthetic devices these days, he could easily have an artificial foot and possibly go back to his career.

I don't always agree with Robblok, but what we do have in agreement is safety gear in riding. Prior to my stroke, any trip around town on my CBR was with heavy jeans, combat boots, padded racing jacket, racing gloves, and HJC helmet. And that was just to go to 7/11. lol. For my once a month 4-6 day road trips, shin and thigh protectors went over the jeans, and a full upper body kit was added. My wife took a pic of me one time to show all her friends her "RoboCop" husband. Sitting at a long stop light with all that on could be murder sometimes, but once I was moving I was fine. And I'd rather sit and sweat a bit as opposed to laying in a hospital with potentially broken bones and tons of skin shredded off my body. I was also lucky that I had years of experience on sports bikes long before I ever came to Thailand. But even with that, there were times I barely escaped the ignorant stupidity of Thai drivers.

Safety gear is a personal decision, only a helmet is mandatory and many also forget about that one. I just feel more at ease when I wear safety-gear. I put more gear on when I take the big bike out in comparison to the scooter on a 1km shopping trip. (mistake I know) But we all have to make our own choices here.

I won't condemn anyone (except the fools that don't wear helmets). I always worry I will hit one of those idiots without a helmet when I am in the car and kill them. Guess who they will blame and they won't say he could have lived when he had a helmet on.

We wish this guy good luck with his injuries. Also good luck with the Thai hospital accounts receivable people. hope he had travel insurance.

Australian travel insurances do not cover motorcycle accidents in Thailand or elsewhere.

Sometimes Australians travel outside of Australia and wish to be covered for incidents while they are away. The private travel insurance industry provides such coverage options.

We wish this guy good luck with his injuries. Also good luck with the Thai hospital accounts receivable people. hope he had travel insurance.

Australian travel insurances do not cover motorcycle accidents in Thailand or elsewhere.

No normal travel insurance covers anything over 50 cc.

Because of this the hospitals instruct the victims to say that they were on the pillion, someone else was driving.

The worst drivers seem to be the Chinese tourists here on Phuket. They experience left hand traffic for the first time, they never have been riding a scooter before, and they try to be safe at a speed just slightly above the drop-down-limit of the bike in the middle of the road. That's what I call asking for an accident.

The worst drivers seem to be the Chinese tourists here on Phuket. They experience left hand traffic for the first time, they never have been riding a scooter before, and they try to be safe at a speed just slightly above the drop-down-limit of the bike in the middle of the road. That's what I call asking for an accident.

Yep, they are a right pain in the bum.

Utterly unpredictable, stopping, riding off, wobbling around, almost always two on each bike and a bit overweight, and they go around in convoys.

(The overweight bit is not really relevant, but I get the impression they all have a bit too much flab)

this is B.S. If you advise the oz travel insurance on the form that you are riding a motorbike then you are covered

That will be tough for him. It is a 'there but for the grace...' moment.

Most of us have had an incident, certainly our share of near misses, this is a terrible reminder of the roads generally, driving or riding. It is a shame maturity has to get you through those years in LOS. So many young kids pay an awful price.

Archived