New Airport Up And Running, Computer Glitches And Delayed Bags

george

Finally after nearly three hours of waiting the baggage came through with an estimated 50% damaged in one way or another.
This high percentage of damaged baggage is very unusual and makes one wonder what happened, if the delay and the damage are linked.

---------------

Maestro

Not unusual for new baggage handling systems. I mentioned previously that Denver had 3 foot drops in there automatic sorting system. It took them three months to finally listen to the worker bees that knew what happened immediatly. Turns, that are too tight without proper gaurds cause issues too...especially when you are trying to run at high speed with automated equipment that does not have a brain to stop pulling on something. Eventually when the airlines have paid enough claims the Engineers will quit denying they have an issue and deal with it. Always listen to the worker bee's they always know the real story. They may not know the big picture but they always seem to know the things that directly affect them.

Discount their advice at your own peril. :o

They better solve these quickly though. People who have their luggage destroyed and have a horrible time on their first time into the country probably will go somewhere else on their next vacation. And they will tell ... on average...27 other people if they have a horrible experience. Unfortunately sureveys show when it is a good time they only tell 5 people. Good luck to the worker bees who have to beat the problem into their bosses head to get it fixed. I have been both a worker bee and the required beateeee. Occassionally my forehead is thicker than my brain. On those days let the beating commence. :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Changes made to Suvarnabhumi to better service

SUVARNABHUMI, Sept 30 (TNA) – Ministry of Transport Permanent Secretary Wanchai Sarathulthat yesterday stressed that Suvarnabhumi Airport will run as smoothly as Bangkok International Airport (Don Muang) within two months.

“By November, the staff will be accustomed to the new facility. Working at as much as 80 percent of its maximum capacity, the new airport will be as reliable as Don Muang,” said Wanchai after chairing a meeting among airport agencies to discuss problems during Suvarnabhumi’s first few days of full operations.

To assess Suvarnabhumi’s efficiency, Wanchai followed passengers who were making their way through the arrival hall. He observed passengers being inconvenienced by a duty free shop that blocked access to the customs and immigration booths.

As a result, he requested that Airports of Thailand Plc. (AOT) officials negotiate with the owners about possibly removing the shop.

Other changes include parking fees being removed for another month and more chairs being installed in both the arrival and departure halls. Ten new x-ray machines will also be put in place to help reduce congestion.

In response to multiple complaints about the airport’s network, Suvarnabhumi General Manager Somchai Sawasdeepon said the AOT is working closely with mobile phone service providers in installing equipment to improve signal clarity.

There have also been a number of complaints about taxis not using their meters to charge travelers to and from the airport. Director-General of the Land Transport Department Piyapan Champasut suggests that travelers note down the taxi’s plate number and driver’s name if there is a violation.

Consumers can report the incident to the department by calling 1584. Staff will be assigned to receive complaints around the clock. If found guilty, the driver will face serious penalties,” said Piyapan.

- MCOT

Edited by sriracha john

There have also been a number of complaints about taxis not using their meters to charge travelers to and from the airport. Director-General of the Land Transport Department Piyapan Champasut suggests that travelers note down the taxi’s plate number and driver’s name if there is a violation.

Consumers can report the incident to the department by calling 1584. Staff will be assigned to receive complaints around the clock. If found guilty, the driver will face serious penalties,” said Piyapan.

Is that 1584 number only for taxis at the airport refusing to use meter, or is it for anyplace in BKK where they refuse to use the meter?

Is that 1584 number only for taxis at the airport refusing to use meter, or is it for anyplace in BKK where they refuse to use the meter?

Anywhere I believe. In any case, there is always a card in the taxi with the address and telephone number for complaints. Just mentioning it normally does the trick. Either that, or simply report the incident to the officials at the airport controlling the taxis prior to setting off. Applying the latter advice to other parts of Bangkok (notably Patpong on Friday/Saturday night), ask a nearby policement to get the taxi driver to turn on his meter. That normally does the trick, however a limited knowledge of thai is required usually.

Suvarnabhumi: A traveller's lament

As flight TG 401 touched down at the futuristic-looking Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday night, the inefficiency of this new Bt150-billion facility took me and other passengers by surprise.

The impressive view from the outside, of architectural structures bathed in blue light, gave way to appalling design flaws and apparent mismanagement by officials.

"It's a new airport, so why did we have to board a bus [after deplaning]?" asked a fellow THAI traveller from Singapore.

Less than two minutes later we were stuck in a bottleneck at the only escalator from the ground floor up to the first floor. We wondered why more planning wasn't put into such a crucial matter.

Then after a considerable hike past a few duty-free shops, I arrived at the hi-tech immigration desk. It was speedy and convenient. But as I got through the counter and proceeded to find out where to reclaim my luggage, my eyes were dazzled by four flashing TV monitors with letters so tiny that anyone over 40 or with reading difficulties would have a hard time deciphering the messages.

After a few minutes of eye-straining search, I discovered that I had to go to carousel 18. But wait! When I got there, the overhead display said the luggage coming through belonged to flights from Siem Reap and Seoul, not Singapore!

There weren't enough luggage carts and it took me 10 minutes to get one.

So which computerised monitors should I trust?

I hung around with other passengers whom I recognised from our flight until one Westerner finally got his luggage. "Amazing," he said to me, as I asked if he was on that THAI flight from Singapore, to make sure that this was where my suitcase would emerge.

Then there was a sign on a pillar next to the conveyor belt printed on A4 paper. "Temporary toilet". The lack of enough toilets appeared to be haunting the new airport on Day Two.

But there was more travail to go through. The arrival lobby is too small. People squeeze together forming a wall so you can't see if someone came to pick you up.

Then I couldn't figure out where to hail a metered taxi. There was no sign and I ended up having to ask for information at an AOT counter. The woman there was pushing a pricey limousine service, but eventually caved in and told me to head one level down.

"But the queue down there is very long," she warned me. The taxi queue was actually twice, if not thrice, longer than those at Don Muang.

Why? Partly bad coordination and partly because this is a single-terminal airport. The taxi pick-up points must actually be fewer than at Don Muang, which has one domestic and two international terminals. And there was no proper sign telling you this is where you should wait!

While in line, two THAI passengers complained to me. One, an elderly gentleman who flew in from Brisbane, said he waited an hour and a half for his luggage to arrive. When he inquired about it with THAI ground staff, they didn't have a clue as to how long he had to wait.

"It was a long walk," he said, referring to the mega-long terminal and hall.

Nobody seems to want to explain why this new gateway is not laid out better and more conveniently than the 92-year-old complex at Don Muang. I couldn't help wonder why AOT has to force thousands of travellers to undergo such a trying experience.

In the first few days they may claim that many things are not functioning properly because it's still new. But the management's attitude was self-congratulatory even though they should be profusely apologetic and do their best to meet travellers' expectations.

I couldn't see or feel a sense of excellence and a service mindset from them. Suvarnabhumi may end up becoming just another expensive airport that's better to look at than to use.

Perhaps a new management team that is more concerned and attentive to travellers' needs and satisfaction, comforts and convenience might improve things. A few executives deserve - not only to be shifted or reassigned - but fired.

The Nation

Returned to Bangkok from Singapore Friday afternoon at 2:30. Looked in awe at the sleek new structure as we taxied to the gate. Oooops! A Thai 747 seemed to be occupying our intended jetway, so we had to wait about 10 minutes to be reassigned. First impression once inside: wow! it smells like a new car! Then a LONG walk (thank goodness for the moving walkways) towards the arrival hall. Stopped at a toilet on the way and was shocked to find ONE urinal and two stalls, and a line to wait. Back to the moving walkway then and allowed the ambience to sink in... it's all so BARE and GREY. Unpainted grey concrete everywhere! Signs are few and far between. Had to keep my good eye open for the path to Immigration. Then shocked to see the long lines... in 8 years of flying into LOS never had to wait so long to clear. Fortunately, our bags arrived shortly after the 40 minute wait; no problem finding a luggage cart. Once through the doors past customs BAM! The arrival area very small and very crowded with greeters. Seems like it took forever to get past them. Then to try to find where to go for a taxi... a few hastily constructed signs pointed us down a level to the taxi stand, and two HUGE lines. Another 40 minute wait to get a meter taxi (and aircon!!) Then a 233 Baht ride to the Central Rama 3 area, with 50 Baht service fee added to that. I was surprised I saw no signs for the bus service to the Transport Center. Amazed also that on exiting the airport we came to a very busy "T" intersection with no traffic signals where we had to make a left turn and THEN a U-turn to get to the entrance ramp for the expressway. Huh??

All in all, not a bad experience for only the second day of full operation. However, aestetics are severely lacking and the place is huge. Where's all the foliage? The planter boxes, the orchid displays? Perhaps some of this will come later... maybe not. Where's the friendly recorded voice at the end of the moving walkway chiming "end of walkway?" Where's the warmth? It's all too cold and stark and sterile and hard and grey.

However, aestetics are severely lacking and the place is huge. Where's all the foliage? The planter boxes, the orchid displays? Perhaps some of this will come later... maybe not. Where's the friendly recorded voice at the end of the moving walkway chiming "end of walkway?" Where's the warmth? It's all too cold and stark and sterile and hard and grey.

It was designed to remind Americans of Costco or any other similiar discount warehouse store:

post-9005-1159673251.jpg

All the warmth and charm of a huge metal shed.

Service still insufficient, sightseers clog Suvarnabhumi

Problems continued to occur at Suvarnabhumi airport Sunday, four days after the airport's commercially opening, with soldiers called in to help carry passenger baggage while a large number of sightseers have turned up, causing congestion and inconvenience at the single-terminal airport.

An operations centre, informally dubbed 'the war room,' has been set up on the seventh floor of the passenger building and 25 soldiers were drafted to help move baggage, while Thai Airports Ground Service Co. Ltd. (TAGS) has dispatched another 150 baggage-transport carts to help speed up the work, said Airports of Thailand president Chotisak Asapaviriya.

He said work flexibility has been achieved at only 70% and the remaining problem of 30% is resulted from staff members who have become very tired. :D :D

Although the airport has been opened for four days as of Sunday, as many as 100,000 people are turning up daily for pleasure visits, while the number of passengers is estimated at 80,000 - 90,000 persons, Mr. Chotisak said, adding that the number of cleaners and rubbish collectors must be increased.

Many toilets in the domestic passenger terminal have become clogged, he said, while the roof of the car park is not expected to be complete for about one month, he said.

Many black-plated taxis were seen waiting for customers on the first and second floors of the passenger building yesterday, Mr. Chotisak said. Police have been asked to order taxi drivers not to park their vehicles in the area, he said.

Mr. Chotisak said officials will be assigned to monitor expected heavy rainfall Sunday night, but indicated there should not be a problem as the new airport can absorb as much as three million cubic metres of water. :D :D

The Meteorological Department earlier warned that Typhoon Xangsane, which earlier devastated the Philippines, would enter Vietnam and Thailand Sunday. The storm was expected to trigger another round of heavy rainfall, especially in northeastern provinces.

Meanwhile, a senior Thai Airways International executive said Sunday that work at the airport have become smoother, although more casual visitors are congesting the airport, especially during the weekend.

These admirers are causing inconvenience for passengers checking in. The executive asked people to refrain from visiting the airport for the time being in order to make for smoother service. :o

- MCOT

Went for a look Saturday and there was a nice long line for the taxis. Doesn't seem to be as many taxis going there.

I went to the toilet hearing how small they were and a few Thai guys came in and said "I expected the toilets to be small but not this small" :o If you are in a hurry go to the Novatel across the street they have more toilets.

A few elevators at the car park weren't operating and saw a few farang carrying bags down the stairs (they should have made ramps) also the car park attendants have their work cut out for themselves as cars coming in connect with cars going out. Stupid design!

Went upstairs to the restaurant for a coffee and the girl at the reception says " The viewing lookout is not open" I said I would just like a coffee. She wasn't exactly welcoming people.

There also seemed to be alot of planes with "Delayed", I am not sure what to make of that.

I will be travelling in a few weeks to Singapore but I don't think I will check-on luggage to be on the safe side. A few days before opening they tested 50 bags and 20 went missing. :D:D:D

Congratulations for the opening!!

I hour delay for baggage?

In the UK a 1 hour wait is the Norm at LGW, LHR, STN, MAN - all airports I've used in the last 12 months, and all equally appalling for luggage delivery times. Indeed at LGW I waited 90 mins for my baggage, without an apology or explanation - it was NOT to do with the recent security situaiton.

I hope that the new BKK proves to be a wonderful success, and a showcase for visitors entering the country that Thailand can be proud of.

:o

One hour wait for baggage? No excuse, no matter where it is.

In Japan, your baggage consistently arrives at the carousels BEFORE you do. Someone should take lessons from the Japanese (or from the American who taught Quality Control to all the big Japanese corporations during the 60's and 70's). (Too bad US corporations initially rejected his advice!).

Although the airport has been opened for four days as of Sunday, as many as 100,000 people are turning up daily for pleasure visits, while the number of passengers is estimated at 80,000 - 90,000 persons, Mr. Chotisak said, adding that the number of cleaners and rubbish collectors must be increased.

I can verify that. I was just there yesterday evening, departing on a domestic flight. Definitely, more than 50% of the people there were not passengers. It looked like half of Bangkok got the idea to come take a look at the new airport. It was very difficult for legitimate passengers to navigate anywhere landside on levels 2, 3, and 4. With all the additional non-passengers, the arrival area was even worse than on my previous arrival. Something desparately needs to be done about this problem of no space on arrivals. They did replace the red tape on the floor with red ropes attached to poles. This at least prevented the public from crossing that line, but once outside the ropes you could not move about. It was hard enough for me with just one small carry-on. For people with a cart loaded with luggage it was next to impossible. I didn't encounter any touts in the arrival area on Friday, but yesterday they were there, though not yet as many as were at Don Muang.

Finally after nearly three hours of waiting the baggage came through with an estimated 50% damaged in one way or another.
This high percentage of damaged baggage is very unusual and makes one wonder what happened, if the delay and the damage are linked.

---------------

Maestro

Duh! :o

AOT President says no flight delays on the 4th day of Suvarnabhumi Airport

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) President, Mr. Chotisak Asapaviriya, indicated that no flight delay occurred on the fourth day of the operation in Suvarnabhumi Airport. However, he said there were fewer passengers than the people who came to the airport just to take a look at the venue. Thus, Mr. Chotisak has asked those who would only come to Suvarnabhumi for purely observational purpose to halt their visit to the airport during its opening stage.

Mr. Chotisak said the operational system in Suvarnabhumi was more efficient by 70 percent yesterday. He said the remaining 30 percent was particularly due to the tiredness of officers in the airport. Furthermore, he said about 100,000 people only came to see the venue each day, and merely 80,000 to 90,000 people at the airport were actual passengers. As a result, janitors there had to clean up the areas more than usual, and the services were not up to the passengers’ demands.

Meanwhile, Mr. Chokechai Panyawong, the head of Suvarnabhumi Airport Investment Development Division under the Thai Airways, has asked the public to cease visiting the new airport at the moment because passengers have not familiarized themselves with the site yet. He said it could possibly be dangerous for them to observe the airport and the airplanes during this period, and they are advised to wait for a time being.

Mr. Chokechai said the operation in Suvarnabhumi is expected to return to normal today, and its operation will be equivalent to the work procedures in Don Muang Airport. He also insisted that the airport will be in full throttle within October 15th, and at the end of this month, it would be the regional hub of Asia. As for the personnel shortage problem, service centers and supervisors will be present in various areas, so the operation would be accomplished.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 October 2006

AOT President says no flight delays on the 4th day of Suvarnabhumi Airport

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) President, Mr. Chotisak Asapaviriya, indicated that no flight delay occurred on the fourth day of the operation in Suvarnabhumi Airport. However, he said there were fewer passengers than the people who came to the airport just to take a look at the venue. Thus, Mr. Chotisak has asked those who would only come to Suvarnabhumi for purely observational purpose to halt their visit to the airport during its opening stage.

Mr. Chotisak said the operational system in Suvarnabhumi was more efficient by 70 percent yesterday. He said the remaining 30 percent was particularly due to the tiredness of officers in the airport. Furthermore, he said about 100,000 people only came to see the venue each day, and merely 80,000 to 90,000 people at the airport were actual passengers. As a result, janitors there had to clean up the areas more than usual, and the services were not up to the passengers’ demands.

Yes, I can verify that operations looked fairly normal yesterday. My flight was delayed a bit, but it was due to late arrival of the incoming aircraft and not due to any delay caused by Suvarnabhumi. Lines at check-in counters were back to normal. I was flying business class and nobody in line. It took less than 60 seconds to check me in. Economy check-in lines had only a few people each, with many but not all of the desks being manned. A huge improvement over Friday when every desk was manned, but there were huge lines and each person took many minutes (5 or more minutes in many cases) to process.

I'm glad to hear that they are requesting people to stop visiting the airport. This was a huge problem over the weekend. But I would guess that even if they didn't request people to stop coming they would automatically as the newness of the airport wears off. But at least for the next few weekends it will hopefully reduce the numbers that might have otherwise come.

Congratulations for the opening!!

I hour delay for baggage?

In the UK a 1 hour wait is the Norm at LGW, LHR, STN, MAN - all airports I've used in the last 12 months, and all equally appalling for luggage delivery times. Indeed at LGW I waited 90 mins for my baggage, without an apology or explanation - it was NOT to do with the recent security situaiton.

I hope that the new BKK proves to be a wonderful success, and a showcase for visitors entering the country that Thailand can be proud of.

One hour wait for baggage? No excuse, no matter where it is.

In Japan, your baggage consistently arrives at the carousels BEFORE you do. Someone should take lessons from the Japanese (or from the American who taught Quality Control to all the big Japanese corporations during the 60's and 70's). (Too bad US corporations initially rejected his advice!).

That happenned to me a while back at AMS. My buddy and I were waiting at a stopped carousel chatting. Neither of accustomed to travelling with baggage - we stood aimlessly for 5 minutes before we realised our baggage was already there. I have seen this event at other airports too - casual empricism suggests that it depends on the foot distance from arrival to baggage claim

Computer glitches mar first full day at new Bangkok airport

post-128-1159414382_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Passengers at Bangkok's new international airport Thursday faced delays in collecting their bags and checking in on the first full day of operations because of computer and mechanical glitches.

Thousands of passengers arriving on the first flights had to wait one hour to collect their bags as equipment was slow in arriving from the old airport, which closed during the night.

"The delay was caused by the delay of moving Thai Airways ground handling equipment from the old airport to the new one," said Chotisak Asapaviriya, president of Airports of Thailand, which operates the facility.

"It's just a minor error, and it will be the only one. We will never let this happen again," he said.

But at Thai Airways check-in counters, computers crashed before the first flights out of the new Suvarnabhumi Airport, causing delays as airline workers had to issue handwritten boarding passes and baggage claim tags.

That left long lines, but many passengers seemed prepared for delays on the first full day of operations, when some 800 flights will fly through.

"Today is the first day, so we don't expect anything to go well," said Paul Millar, a 46-year-old Briton who works in Bangkok.

"Fortunately we arrived early just in case," he said.

AFP 2006-09-28

flew from new airport today. first thing should be the removal of the circular doors at the airport which are unsuitable for passengers with trollies. next clearly more immigration staff are required at departures given the length of the queues. additionally the public toilets at the checkin hall are far too small - long queues for the toilet this morning. finally perhaps they should consider recruiting more cleaning staff given the dirty state of the floors.

king power duty free has taken over the place but i saw few people actually shopping.

flew from new airport today. first thing should be the removal of the circular doors at the airport which are unsuitable for passengers with trollies

Circular doors?? :D:o:D:D

"Revolving doors," perhaps?

iTV television news showing the flooding in the park area ringing the terminal and the flooded fields just beyond the runways... looked like much more rain and the runways will start flooding. Really shows what kind of area they chose to build this on. Two days ago the garden park just outside the terminal had looked nice with its walkways, but now those same walkways are under water.

They also showed heaps of trash haphazardly piled into corners of the hallways...

and how cramped the walkways were when full of people and stacked up baggage.

Finished off with long lines waiting to use the restrooms... seems like these sort of problems will be plagueing the airport for quite a while.

I'm due to arrive 1830 on Thursday. I'm still wondering if it makes sense for a greeter to come by taxi (probably of a friend's brother), and wait for me, and getting to Sukhumvit near Soi 20/22 before dawn.

How is all this, good and bad, being reported on Thai TV? And in Thai language press? Extracts here evidence of a critical stance by Bangkok Post and Nation.

Edited by Cool Water Palace

I arrived--from Los Angeles via Taipei--early Monday morning and was pleasantly surprised to find the beautiful new airport as advertised, with few or no lines, a speedy check-through at immigration and bags arriving almost as quickly as we did. In the arrivals/departures area there seem to be plenty of toilets, walkways are clean, the moving carpets whisk passengers along and the airport is visually pleasant. There were plenty of taxis queued up in orderly fashion at the arrivals level. It cost me 200 baht plus tolls to get to Sathorn/Lumpinee.

I was prepared for some delay or other unpleasantness but my experience was very positive. I hope some are not influenced by all the negativity in this thread.

A much better introduction to Bangkok than Don Muang airport!

Computer glitches at Suvarnabhumi delay cargo release

BANGKOK, Oct 1 - Many shipping companies could not clear their goods from Suvarnabhumi airport transported by the Bangkok Flight Services (BFS) due to technical glitches in computer systems.

The BFS computer system could not be linked with that of the Customs Department, resulting in failure to process customs formalities that have to be completed for the release of these goods.

The resulting complication meant that shippers could not load their export cargos aboard the aircraft. BFS was unable to issue necessary Customs documents for either inbound or outbound cargo. Consequently the BFS duty-free cargo section was temporarily shut down, and shippers were left stranded.

Customs Department Chief Sathit Limpongpan was informed of the situation regarding BFS and has ordered officials to issue documents manually. He pledged the Department's full assistance in resolving the matter.

BFS Manager Sinclair Stewart said the company's computers could not be connected with the online system of the Customs Department as planned.

The system, he said, was installed by Thai Airport Ground Services.

He said about 30 per cent of goods shipped remained stranded as a result and the company would take responsibility for any losses incurred on a case by case basis. These problems, he said, should be resolved by Saturday.

- Business Day

Bangkok airport begs sightseers to picnic somewhere else

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Litter is piling up in the bathrooms at Bangkok's sleek new international airport. There aren't enough toilets and there's too much picnicking going on. The root of the problem? Too many sightseers.

On top of the 80,000 to 90,000 travelers passing through Suvarnabhumi Airport each day, more than 100,000 Thais are visiting and snapping souvenir pictures at the new airport, which opened Thursday, said Chotisak Asapaviriya, president of Airports of Thailand.

"So many people are coming for sightseeing, and we're pleading with them to stop. There are too many," Chotisak said. "There aren't enough bathrooms. People are complaining that there's litter all over the bathrooms. They're eating here and there, parking their cars in a mess."

He said the sightseers were coming in droves, in pickup trucks, bringing packed lunches to eat at Suvarnabhumi as they take pictures inside the modern, airy building.

As a result, Suvarnabhumi -- built to hold 45 million passengers per year -- has been inundated with people who have no travel plans at all.

"I don't want to chase them out because this is public property, and we're all excited about it, but it has made it difficult to work," Chotisak said in a telephone interview.

Airports of Thailand had welcomed visitors to Suvarnabhumi prior to its opening so that travelers could figure out where it was and not get lost en route to the facility once it opened. But Chotisak said the visiting period was now over.

"Please don't come visit and take pictures," he said. "We built this (airport) to accommodate travelers."

"We invited (visitors) so that they could familiarize themselves with the new airport, but now it's no longer familiarization -- it has become a picnic."

- The Associated Press

Suvarnabhumi Airport 'not able' to help city's flood woes

Suvarnabhumi Airport has warned the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) not to drain floodwater into its area as this would cause severe inundation problems for the new facility.

*yesterday's television news would indicate that flooding is already a problem for the airport* :D

Somchai Sawasdeepon, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said yesterday he would inform the directors of Lat Krabang and Prawes districts that the airport had no capacity to receive a run-off from outside its precincts as the irrigation canal inside the airport was already about 50 per cent full.

*if "50% full" means sidewalks already being under water as shown on the news, I'd hate to see 100%, or even 80%*

"More water could cause severe flooding and cause huge damage to the airport," he said after being consulted by the directors about draining floodwater from the two districts into the airport's area.

Eastern Bangkok's Lat Krabang and Prawes districts have suffered severe flooding this year. District officials have attempted to drain floodwater by using 60 electrical pumps, but they are not coping adequately.

Somchai refused to accept that construction of the airport caused the flooding even though it took up over 20,000 rai of irrigation area.

He said preparations for the construction included more than 40 canals dug around the site to dam floodwater. It had successfully prevented inundation in Lat Krabang and Prawes for the past two years. But the canals were now clogged by foliage and weeds, which had caused the flooding in the area this year.

Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin said district directors had consulted the airport executive about the flooding problem as they saw the airport had good water-retention and thus might help by receiving run-off from the city.

But he said the BMA had no plans at the moment to drain floodwater to the airport area.

Montri Maneewong, an engineer at Klong Dan Irrigation Project, said the flood situation in the inner city would not affect Suvarnabhumi as it had a barrier two metres higher than the seawater level, and this could manage even after five days and nights of non-stop rain.

Floodwater from the North would not affect the airport as it would be drained through canals outside and released into the Gulf of Thailand.

BMA flood prevention officer Sansern Ruangrit said while the new airport was capable of keeping itself flood-free, it could take any run-off from outside its boundaries.

He said construction of the airport diverted four irrigation canals, and that caused slow drainage of floodwater from Lat Krabang and Prawes. There was only Chaiyanu-chit Irrigation Canal left to release water to Klong Dan and the sea.

Sansern said the sheer volume of rainwater carried by the Chao Phya River combined with high sea tides had caused the severe flooding in eastern Bangkok. Also, many housing estates had been constructed in Lat Krabang and that had also obstructed run-off to canals.

Samart Choknapitak, head of the Royal Irrigation Department, said water from the North passed down the Chao Phya yesterday at 3,000 cubic metres per second. :D*sheesh*

- The Nation

I flew out of the new airport a couple of days ago. My flight was over three hours late in departing! My buddy and I watched as they unloaded all of the baggage, then an hour later loaded it back again.

There weren't many smiling faces in the airport except for those fortunate few who watched me walk face-first into a glass door! That's the downside of clean glass I reckon.

Futhermore, we were in the area of BKK that's closest to the airport. We could only find one taxi driver who would take us there using the meter. The rest wanted 600 baht. They said that as they'll have to return to BKK empty, this is what they want to charge... fair enough really, but our driver wanted to see the new airport so we got lucky this time.

There were locals all along a fence watching planes take off. How easy would it be to launch something at a plane from such a close range... hmmm.