What's your favorite franchise Coffee Shop?

MockingJay

I stopped going to these shops even though I love coffee. I have yet to walk into a single one of these shops, ask for a Large black coffee and simply get one. Every single one just asks me whether i want a Americano, espresso or rattles off some name of which I know nothing about

Just how hard is it ? sad.png

May I suggest to try the many different versions of "black coffee". I understand your frustration with this "simple" request of a black coffee and having to go through hoops and hurdles to get it, but from a Restaurant/Cafe/Bakery owners point of view....here is the problem:

Us Westerners even have different understandings of "Black Coffee". While it is true that most of us would just expect a cup of drip coffee when ordering a black coffee, it is not the case here in Thailand. Most coffee shops do not have drip coffee machines and request for this coffee is VERY low. Luckily most cafes have Semi to fully automatic Espresso machines. These machines do not produce black drip coffee, but Espresso. From that you can make many different versions of coffee including a drip coffee like.

When you come across one of those cafes with an espresso machine, ask for:

1. Americano ( This is probably the closest to a drip coffee )

2. Long Black

Also, when ordering the coffee, make sure to order Americano "Lohn" ( hot ) or Long Black Lohn. Otherwise they may serve you the iced version ;)

I had a customer who ordered a coke. While I was chatting with him, he complained that he can't get a plain cup of black coffee anywhere. I explained to him the "problematic" and gave him an Americano to try. He really enjoyed it and everytime he comes back, he orders an Americano....doesn't even bother trying the long black.

All that being said, you might enjoy an Americano at starbucks but not your local cafe or vice versa. Thats where it comes down to your particular taste.

Good luck :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best coffee is at our home.

attachicon.gifCoffee.jpg

This is the coffee we use.

attachicon.gifCoffee maker.jpg

This is our coffee maker.

The secret is real cream or Half & Half.

I with you on this, the only coffee allowed in my home is "The blue Mountain" coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Starbucks must be the greatest over priced crap coffee in the world, I wont even walk into one of their shops.bah.gif

A quality coffee machine is very important and most are made in Italy. coffee1.gif

There are four cafes selling Doi Chaang coffee here in Chanthaburi province, but in my opinion, only one good one.

The local one in Tha Mai, owner/operator is properly trained, superb coffee to my taste.

I've been disappointed at each of the other three, so not just the coffee/brand but the person behind the machine just as important

Great story behind the brand too: CoffeeTalk

02_12-1-B-216x300.jpg

Tom n Toms

You are kidding, right? Large quantity, so weak it could qualify as dishwater. Ditto Starbucks - yecch.

Doi Chang and Doi Wawee can produce excellent coffees, although the quality seems to vary from shop to shop. Amazon is adequate, when nothing else is around.

If you are serious about Tom n Toms, I suspect you consider McDonalds or KFC to be fine cuisine.

Oops I did not realize that bazza40, supreme coninoisseur, was a member of this group or I would not have posted.

I apologies for offending your ultimate knowledge of all things coffee.

I also apologies for not seeking your permission before posting my own thoughts on here. I should have realized the are the expert poster on these forums.

I like Starbucks because I can easily order my Cappuccino the way I like it. I order a double short extra hot. By adding a shot to their short cup I get a strong espresso flavor with less milk. Both the small and medium have only on shot of espresso and too much milk for me. It only costs 105 baht for the two shots which is less than ordering two Cappuccinos at many other coffee shops, so it is not as expensive as some people complain. I find most shops don’t give you similar options.

There are four cafes selling Doi Chaang coffee here in Chanthaburi province, but in my opinion, only one good one.

The local one in Tha Mai, owner/operator is properly trained, superb coffee to my taste.

I've been disappointed at each of the other three, so not just the coffee/brand but the person behind the machine just as important

Great story behind the brand too: CoffeeTalk

02_12-1-B-216x300.jpg

Since I live in Chiang Rai, Doi Chaang is often what I use at home.

The best coffee is at our home.

attachicon.gifCoffee.jpg

This is the coffee we use.

attachicon.gifCoffee maker.jpg

This is our coffee maker.

The secret is real cream or Half & Half.

Your secret would not help me as I am a black coffee guy, black tea also, never touch milk and cream gives me a migraine. Very interesting machine, never seen that model, does it give you a good crema?

Off topic slightly - Moccana at half price in Tesco just now.

Always drives me crazy when people review coffee as if they had taste buds when they use cream and sugar. IT's just like someone who eats his steak overdone with steak sauce. You can enjoy your preference but dont give out a review when all you taste is the added stuff.

• 3 months later...

Gentlemen you have been saved, an Australian coffee franchise has been busy expanding in Thailand "The Coffee Club", I've been in there shops when in Pattaya, Ko Samuai, Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

I am not very impressed with the Coffee Club. There are much better options in Thailand.

Ahhhh the options your talking about are very few and far between, Australia is very well known for its coffee culture, we can get a decent coffee almost anywhere and I mean anywhere.

I guess your pass mark depends where your brought up and served your coffee drinking apprentiship, so each to his own but as an Aussie I will stick to coffee club thank you very much.

Gentlemen you have been saved, an Australian coffee franchise has been busy expanding in Thailand "The Coffee Club", I've been in there shops when in Pattaya, Ko Samuai, Chiang Mai and Bangkok.

I am not very impressed with the Coffee Club. There are much better options in Thailand.

Ahhhh the options your talking about are very few and far between, Australia is very well known for its coffee culture, we can get a decent coffee almost anywhere and I mean anywhere.

I guess your pass mark depends where your brought up and served your coffee drinking apprentiship, so each to his own but as an Aussie I will stick to coffee club thank you very much.

Since you also like quality coffee, have you seen The Great Italian Café, a 6 episode coffee series.

I'll give them a try whenever I see one. I googled them to see where they have locations, however their website ( australian ) does not show their Thailand locations.

Going over some pictures on their facebook page they seem like a starbucks from the setup ( not syaing it tastes like starbucks :) ). What is their price point for coffees?

• 1 month later...

Everyone who likes Starbucks has no taste for good coffee and too much money to waste. Their coffee is the worst I've ever tried.

Not to mention the other crap they sell.

If a franchise then Doi Chang but I prefer the local shops.

Everyone who likes Starbucks has no taste for good coffee and too much money to waste. Their coffee is the worst I've ever tried.

I don’t understand people who have the need to denigrate what they personally don’t like, for whatever reason. Starbucks for example is clearly very popular and I suggest wouldn’t be if they had the “worst” coffee or other “crap”. To disparage the majority of people who vote with their feet and their money, shows no taste or class in my opinion.

I drink at a variety of establishments, including Starbucks and Doi Chaang. I am sorry if that offends you.

I don’t understand people who have the need to denigrate what they personally don’t like, for whatever reason. Starbucks for example is clearly very popular and I suggest wouldn’t be if they had the “worst” coffee or other “crap”. To disparage the majority of people who vote with their feet and their money, shows no taste or class in my opinion.

I drink at a variety of establishments, including Starbucks and Doi Chaang. I am sorry if that offends you.

No offense, I'm fine.

But again, in my opinion it's more about being trendy to go to Starbucks.

I asked my Thai friends why they go there.

The answer was they have A/C and free Wi-Fi....

No offense, I'm fine.

7/11 has free wifi(true spot or other companies) and free ac.. Best iced coffee, only one with mcdonalds that isnt bitter

No offense, I'm fine.

Starbucks does not have free wifi in Thailand. Did you make that up?

No offense, I'm fine.

Starbucks does not have free wifi in Thailand. Did you make that up?

Of course he did...

Back to the coffee, sorry Philistine I may be, but I like SB coffee, plus the other 'crap', not all of it, that they sell.

I also like 'some' of the stuff they sell in 7-11, Lotus, Doi Chang, and a host of other outlets.

Why some people seem to have some vitriolic dislike of this brand or that baffles me.

Archived